Code of Conduct

Default Favorite small-business perfumers?

I've seen Wiggle Perfume mentioned in quite a few threads lately, so I decided to check them out - wow! Those sound like some gorgeous scents from a good nose.

But it made me think... what other hidden gems are there? What small-time perfumer do you find intruiging or talented? I'm thinking about the houses that are so small, you could probably call them huts - you're not going to find them in Sephora but they've set up shop on a little corner of the web.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Default Re: Favorite small-business perfumers?

I've always been curious about Theme Fragrance, ever since seeing their shop on Etsy:

http://www.themefragrance.com/

Boring answer, but Andy Tauer is so great. Interesting frags and such a kind and generous person that I feel good about wearing his stuff for that reason as well.

Ayala Moriel. Very good perfumer - working pretty much on her own, as far as I can tell - out of Vancouver. She makes all-natural fragrances, but nothing like the bland essential oil "blends" one finds in herb stores - real fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Wiggles- I have never tried her scents but I agree - sounds fantastic. Lulubeauty is another good Etsy perfumer.
    Ava Luxe- I know Serena has been off -on lately but I do think she is a v good perfumer too.
    Ajne perfumes are excellent and of course Ayala Moriel is good.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

One of my favorite noses: http://www.myskinsoapstudio.com/

Amber Sambaca & CocoaWood Spice are my faves.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Would La Via del Profumo be considered a small business?

His scents are delicious and very intriguing.
    Evenstar

Andy Tauer, no doubt.

Liz Zorn -- please support her if you can!

Neil Morris of Boston, MA -- with all his BN friends he is getting plenty of love, I hope!
    Last edited by Twolf; 26th September 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Great idea for a thread--there are a few I haven't heard of that I'll have to try out.

My favorite small perfumers thus far are

- Sonoma Scent Studios (I especially like Vintage Rose and Tabac Aurea)

- Kristin Michele Parfumeur, especially her Epice Orientale

- Roxana Illuminated Perfumes

- Smell Bent - cute website, really like Incensed and Commando

- and of course Andy Tauer and Neil Morris. Although I'm starting to think of them as bigger (courtesy of Lucky Scent and Takashima, respectively), they still do great indie work.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Great thread! There are so many really good 'little' perfumers out there who have the freedom to create really interesting things. There are a lot in the US that I'd like to get to try one day but for now I'm loving
    Ava Luxe
    Andy Tauer
    Possets (who could survive winter without The Gingerbread Whorehouse?)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_P View Post
    I've always been curious about Theme Fragrance, ever since seeing their shop on Etsy:

http://www.themefragrance.com/
    A few months ago, I ordered from her and although she was a very sweet girl, her scents just weren't for me. Most of them had a pretty heavy patch feel and I walked around all day feeling like I should be putting flowers in my hair and renaming my dog "Starship Moonchild" or something... and not in a good way.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I agree with arwen_elf--profumo.it has had the most fragrances that draw my attention of any of the "one person" houses. I still need to give a sincere try to some others though, such as Dawn Spencer Hurowitz, Neil Morris and SmellBent.

A second vote for Laurie Erikson's Sonoma Scent Studio. I own a few of her fragrances and they are uniformly high-quality, excellent compositions. Check SSS out!

Also Susanne Lang fragrances are very well done. The scent 'Cashmere' is one of my favorite ambers.

Of couse Ava Luxe creations are top-notch.

I've only tried a few Moriels, but I've been meaning to. What I've tried I've really liked.

Andy Tauer, Sonoma Scent, Ava Luxe. No question.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by inscentiable View Post
    A few months ago, I ordered from her and although she was a very sweet girl, her scents just weren't for me. Most of them had a pretty heavy patch feel and I walked around all day feeling like I should be putting flowers in my hair and renaming my dog "Starship Moonchild" or something... and not in a good way.
    Really? That surprises me because from the descriptions, they sound like they would be very fruity and sweet, which I don't mind once in awhile. And for the price, they seem like fun scents to try for the summer. Your description reminds me of sampling this perfume called Chelsea Girls from Seven Skies. It was supposed to be a "modern chypre" but I didn't even have to wait for the drydown to smell like I had been on a 3-day bender of "expanding my consciousness." *lol*

Basenotes Institution

[QUOTE=Twolf;1626952]

Liz Zorn -- please support her if you can!

QUOTE]

Yes, Liz Zorn 's perfumes sound wonderful .I often look at her Soivohle site and I may try a couple.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 26th September 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Neil Morris Fragrances and Sonoma Scent Studio are my two favorites, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Would La Via del Profumo be considered a small business?

His scents are delicious and very intriguing.
    Also agree. I ordered a little 6 pack some months ago and felt I was getting a glimpse into soemthing quite special. Received a 50 ml Sandalwood just a few days ago and it is beautiful.

Also Andy Tauer. I would like to try Ava Luxe and Neil Morris - seem to hear a lot about them here.

Sonoma Scent and Ava Luxe. I tried recently Femme Jolie by Sonoma Scent and I was very suprised to see that it smells exactly like Silk / Soie by Ava Luxe. Bizarre. Looking at the Ava Luxe and Sonoma's fragrance lists, I can detect some "similarities" (Cafe Noir, Milk / Lait Cremeux ... )

From Andy Tauer I tried only L'Air du Desert Marocain, and it didn't disappoint me at all.
    Last edited by anais; 26th September 2009 at 07:03 PM.
    ~ Anais ~

I've ordered quite a few of the Wiggle scents and I really like them! The lady who runs the company is lovely as well.

Ava Luxe although I only had the chance to make one order before she closed up her website

Have ordered a few scents from Wylde Ivy as well some were lovely and some were awful, a bit hit and miss but her Teak fragrance is gorgeous.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

I don't have a favorite, but there is one I'm curious about, called Tokyomilk. A little boutique downtown carries it. The bottles are small (15-20 mls, maybe?) and retail for $28 online (I never could find a price at the boutique), so there's no big commitment. I've been considering them for a while, I think this thread has inspired me to go try a few out! Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    I don't have a favorite, but there is one I'm curious about, called Tokyomilk. A little boutique downtown carries it. The bottles are small (15-20 mls, maybe?) and retail for $28 online (I never could find a price at the boutique), so there's no big commitment. I've been considering them for a while, I think this thread has inspired me to go try a few out! Will report back.
    I've got two of theirs in sample form that I'm testing out, they're quite nice!

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:

Quote Originally Posted by TheLipPrint View Post
    I've got two of theirs in sample form that I'm testing out, they're quite nice!
    Which ones? I'm especially interested in Poe's Tobacco and Song in D Minor.

Which ones? I'm especially interested in Poe's Tobacco and Song in D Minor.

Le Petit and French Kiss - both are pretty and sweet with Le Petit smelling fresh and just a little green (it turns clean and soapy on me after a little while, which I acctually like) and French Kiss being more fizzy smelling.
    Last edited by Un Belle Parfum; 27th September 2009 at 03:54 AM.

Currently lusting after:

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Over the top: VERO KERN

and silver medal to Andy Tauer

third but not least Olivier Durbano
    Last edited by nyneve; 27th September 2009 at 09:07 AM.
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Ajne, Sonoma Scent Studio and DSH (selected lines in the case of DSH).

I also like the personality and quirkiness of the people at all three! The nose at Ajne is always having a glass of wine on Twitter, which amuses me no end for some reason.

"So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Divine and Anne Pliska are two of my favourites. Wish Anne Pliska would make some more scents.

A store near me carries the Tokyomilk line - this store has about 10 fragrances, all $44/30ml. I started sampling through them and they seem like competent fragrances. I also like that they have a few of the notes printed on the bottle (the way that Prada does). I'm not remembering the names of the fragrances, but there was one that was rose/cherry/cocoa/vetiver that was really good, another tobacco/tea that's good. Seems they have pretty much one of everything (a floral, a gourmand, etc.). I need to play with them a little more before I buy one.

EDIT: Poe's Tobacco was the tobacco/tea. The gourmand is called Let Them Eat Cake
    Last edited by heynow; 28th September 2009 at 12:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Dawn Spencer Horowitz seems excellent too as suggested By Asha ,though I have only tried her Essense Oil .
    I have been meaning to try Roxana Illuminated perfumes as well .....
    I also thought I would try Strange Invisible Perfumes just because of their Epic Gardenia perfume .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 28th September 2009 at 02:26 PM.

My favorite small fragrance shop is Sonoma Scent Studio. Laurie Erickson's fragrances are just gorgeous and well crafted and well priced. My favorites are especially Rose Musc (to die for labdanum!) and Tabac Aurea which is really outstanding. I also particularly like the Femme Jolie (smells like the dry down of DK Chaos), Velvet Rose, and Voile de Violette, which is an outstanding, very natural violet soliflore. SSS Champagne de Bois rivals any major Chanel such as No 22 or Bois des Iles for beauty, and her Jour Ensolielle (the new version) is as beautiful a chypre as Mistouko, Amazone, etc. .... And Laurie does *everything* herself, from melting down raw materials, developing formulas, marketing, packaging, shipping and customer service. She deserves as much business as she gets!

My second favorite small fragrance house is Andy Tauer. There is nothing like L'Air du Desert Marocain!!! I think I'd have more love for Dawn Spencer Hurwitz if her very beautiful (and very expensive!) fragrances had more lasting power. Giardini Segreti (Italian Journey #3) is a particularly beautiful, powdery tuberose.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AnnS View Post
    My favorite small fragrance shop is Sonoma Scent Studio. Laurie Erickson's fragrances are just gorgeous and well crafted and well priced. My favorites are especially Rose Musc (to die for labdanum!) and Tabac Aurea which is really outstanding. I also particularly like the Femme Jolie (smells like the dry down of DK Chaos), Velvet Rose, and Voile de Violette, which is an outstanding, very natural violet soliflore. SSS Champagne de Bois rivals any major Chanel such as No 22 or Bois des Iles for beauty, and her Jour Ensolielle (the new version) is as beautiful a chypre as Mistouko, Amazone, etc. .... And Laurie does *everything* herself, from melting down raw materials, developing formulas, marketing, packaging, shipping and customer service. She deserves as much business as she gets!

My second favorite small fragrance house is Andy Tauer. There is nothing like L'Air du Desert Marocain!!! I think I'd have more love for Dawn Spencer Hurwitz if her very beautiful (and very expensive!) fragrances had more lasting power. Giardini Segreti (Italian Journey #3) is a particularly beautiful, powdery tuberose.
    Sonoma Scent Studio is getting a lot of love on this thread- -it's one I must try considering I am here in California. I'm all for supporting small business lady perfumers.
    The Giardini Segreti tuberose sounds tempting too.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio is getting a lot of love on this thread- -it's one I must try considering I am here in California. I'm all for supporting small business lady perfumers.
    The Giardini Segreti tuberose sounds tempting too.
    I can really recommend the Giardini Segreti - I am not a huge tuberose fan - but there is a bunch of other notes in there, including gardenia(!), and the overall blend is very pretty.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I can really recommend the Giardini Segreti - I am not a huge tuberose fan - but there is a bunch of other notes in there, including gardenia(!), and the overall blend is very pretty.
    Thanks VM ! I will google it now....

***Oh DSH Perfumes- How silly of me - I must be brain dead today ( just got back from the gym too- my brain dies after a workout ) - I thought Giardini Segreti was a person ! Sillly me !
    The complete list of notes sound fab. I love the way DSH gives you a wide option for amounts and quantities of scent .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th September 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Dolma - http://www.dolma-perfumes.co.uk/inde...=index&cPath=1
    Don't dismiss them thinking they just put out any old thing(scent quality wise) for vegans. I really want to get their Amethyst Mist! It's really good value too - just over one GBP for 1ml of perfume!

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    Vero Profumo gets my vote, too. Onda is one of the most gorgeous scents ever created, imho. Kiki is great, too, and though I didn't get along with Rubj on the first time I tested it, I'm willing to give it another chance.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Vero Profumo gets my vote, too. Onda is one of the most gorgeous scents ever created, imho. Kiki is great, too, and though I didn't get along with Rubj on the first time I tested it, I'm willing to give it another chance.
    Kiki is great but the price tag !

How small is "small"?
    My favorite "small" business perfume house at the moment is Ormande Jayne

Wow, the Wiggle oils are very well priced! I'm going to try some, I think...but so far I've only found one that looks appealing (Martine) She seems to be fond of some very sweet notes that aren't my cup of tea...I'm still reading the descriptions, though, so maybe I'll find more. Any suggestions for a lady who does not like smelling like dessert?

PS: Note to self: add Little 5 to list!

Note to self part 2: Lulubeauty Gigi EdP? Or 4 sample oils? Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 1st October 2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Just in case anyone is interested - for gardenia die hard fans- there is a newish Etsy shop that is selling Gardenia enfleurage - quite cheaply . I don't know what the quality is like but I am thinking of testing this out. The etsy shop is called lionflower.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd October 2009 at 04:27 PM.

AVA-LUXE forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Ayala Moriel. Very good perfumer - working pretty much on her own, as far as I can tell - out of Vancouver. She makes all-natural fragrances, but nothing like the bland essential oil "blends" one finds in herb stores - real fragrances.
    I agree I was scared of ordering samples because of the thought they might be bland, but they were amazing Song of Songs is definitly on my wishlist now
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
    One of my favorite noses: http://www.myskinsoapstudio.com/

Amber Sambaca & CocoaWood Spice are my faves.
    Hey Outlandish! I know this is not a new thread but I saw my name mentioned here and wanted to say thank you!

Tracy
    It isn't happiness that makes us grateful, but gratitude that makes us happy.

Tracy
    www.aromaartisan.com
    www.myskinsoapstudio.com

Liz Zorn Siovohle

Sonoma Scent Studio

Smell Bent
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post

and silver medal to Andy Tauer

third but not least Olivier Durbano
    "Gold goes" to Andy Tauer and silver to Vero Kern and the bronze to Mona di Orio

Michael Storer's latest formulations (the 3 I've smelled, anyhow) are all very good. I absolutely love Djin and will be picking a bottle up in the future.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well, for best perfume names ever, hands down favorite is ZOMG Smells! I haven't actually worn any of these yet but do have some samples from her, partly in interest of geek-girl solidarity, and partly because I love love love the names of the smells.

Smell Bent as runner up for clever naming of his smells.

Old thread -- new loves:

Providence Perfume Co.
    Puredistance

Will check your site, CiaoBella, most definitely!

I've tried DSH and SSS scents. i also like some from dragonflyblue.com. Nothing fancy there, but Amber and Sandalwood are the best I have smelled, I think she does her fresh fruity florals really well. Some people go crazy for her foody vanilla scents, but they have an oak note that doesn't meld well with my skin. and her choclate truffles scents are fun. A few ladies from MUA make their own as well CJScents and Cherry Blossom Diva and user Fenestra has an esty store, but I'm not sure the name of it, for all I know they post here, too.