Code of Conduct

Default What would James Dean wear?

I know you guys hate these kind of threads but I just couldn't help it. I was going through a bio book looking at some of his photos and I think he looks quite nice in an effortless/classic way. Made me wonder what scent he'd wear. I know he liked Knize Ten but what else would suit him? I'm leaning towards Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme & Nostalgia by SMN, myself.

Any other thoughts?

Default Re: What would James Dean wear?

Although He died much earlier than either fragrance was released, I see him wearing perhaps something like Aramis or Grey Flannel

*places chin in hands & sighs dreamily*

That man is magic.

I'm thinking a simple, slap it on after shaving cologne. Jean Marie Farina kind of thing maybe.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Eau Sauvage or perhaps a floral patchouli like Voleur de Roses... in my fantasy--M7

Not only that he liked Knize Ten, but, quite ironic for a scent which is usually perceived and defined as old-school, conservative and gentlemanly formal, I think Knize Ten captures and embodies many parts and aspects of his personality, as it is, in my opinion a frag which can be, at the same time, sensual, warm, manly, slightly dirty, yet also highly complex, edgy, even dark yet with an immense amount of self-assurance, yet also a slightly dandified tendency towards extravagance and elegant, composed ease ("ease" definitely not in the sense of being light, since it's a rather heavy scent, far more in the sense of effortless, laid-back pursuit of the finer things in life), as well as a far too energetic form of rebellion and unconventionality to be exclusively a dandy frag, and, maybe above all (although now I'm fully aware of quoting far more a movie industry stereotype, rather than a truly decisive feature of James Dean) leather, leather, leather and leather again, in all possible forms: spicy, aromatic, powdery, hunky, yet also extremely lush and alluring, bad boy leather as much as gentlemanly leather, exhaling an extreme warmth yet also a menacing, as well as equally captivating distance (fit for the truly complicated, unpredictable, extraordinarily blessed characters), leather halfway through between fetish and status symbol, leather halfway through between the boy and the man, the heartthrob and the misfit, leather as both a ritual and a fashion statement and the list may go on.

Ok boys, I think I gotta sniff the Knize 10 you are all on about all the time
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I've test Knize Ten and although I think it's a very nice scent, it does smell very dated, like a really old pair of leather boots.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Ok boys, I think I gotta sniff the Knize 10 you are all on about all the time
    Some fragrances are better left unsniffed.....this is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Not only that he liked Knize Ten, but, quite ironic for a scent which is usually perceived and defined as old-school, conservative and gentlemanly formal, I think Knize Ten captures and embodies many parts and aspects of his personality, as it is, in my opinion a frag which can be, at the same time, sensual, warm, manly, slightly dirty, yet also highly complex, edgy, even dark yet with an immense amount of self-assurance, yet also a slightly dandified tendency towards extravagance and elegant, composed ease ("ease" definitely not in the sense of being light, since it's a rather heavy scent, far more in the sense of effortless, laid-back pursuit of the finer things in life), as well as a far too energetic form of rebellion and unconventionality to be exclusively a dandy frag, and, maybe above all (although now I'm fully aware of quoting far more a movie industry stereotype, rather than a truly decisive feature of James Dean) leather, leather, leather and leather again, in all possible forms: spicy, aromatic, powdery, hunky, yet also extremely lush and alluring, bad boy leather as much as gentlemanly leather, exhaling an extreme warmth yet also a menacing, as well as equally captivating distance (fit for the truly complicated, unpredictable, extraordinarily blessed characters), leather halfway through between fetish and status symbol, leather halfway through between the boy and the man, the heartthrob and the misfit, leather as both a ritual and a fashion statement and the list may go on.

Makes me regret letting this go...

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Makes me regret letting this go...
    I promise I'll do it justice my friend.... I'll even send some pictures time and again to let you know it's doing okay and has found a great home
    At your service

Anything flowery smelling would ruin James Dean's image.

Encre Noir
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Gardenia by Chanel

James Dean used to wear Knize 10. This is a well known fact.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    And here I was thinking may he just doesn't give a damn about colognes... My view is that an outstanding personality lends gravitas to a scent...any scent...he happens to be wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I've test Knize Ten and although I think it's a very nice scent, it does smell very dated, like a really old pair of leather boots.
    *lemming dead*

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    LOL
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Really? He didn't know about Havana?

Havana ftw!

bump

Xeryus, Basala, Or Black

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Agreed. Headache inducing perfumey leather that I can't see James Dean in at all.

I think he is more of a Encre Noir guy myself

Edit: I wrote this without seeing he wore K10 and without seeing the other EN reference. Funny.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 24th September 2010 at 06:28 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Strength, sensuality, mystery...what about Opium by YSL?
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I think any perfume Jimmy may have worn would probably have had a hard time competing with Jimmy's own natural scent. I imagine he was a pretty stinky dude who more than likely revelled in that. But if he cleaned himself up I imagine he would've put on something really refined and elegant. What was available for men around that time that would fit the bill? Probably something from Guerlain.
    Thinking about contemporary scents that would be very him; Gucci pour homme (Tom Ford's) comes to mind. I think that would suit him perfectly. Any pungent, deep, complex heavy 80's scent would work...perhaps because I imagine he probably smelled like a pungent, deep, complex, heavy 80's scent. Something with a lot of leather in it. Trussardi Uomo. Kouros. Antaeus. Azzaro PH.
    Some vintage '73 Paco Rabanne on Mr. Dean's neck? That's knee weakening!

anything masculine tobaccoish or leathery.

Chanel No. 5

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    He died September 30, 1955 so it may not have smelled dated at that point in time
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Regarding Kinze Ten:

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    He died September 30, 1955 so it may not have smelled dated at that point in time
    From Dzing! to Tom Of Finland I recognize safraleine quite often:

http://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Safraleine-349.html

Most prominent in TOF of course for which it is noted as a note by the house itself.

Given the popularity of Mr. Dean - James Dean he would most probably have created his own fragrance. Live ist costly today, so why not bleed the stupid fans:

Dean - Rebellious Revelations I ..III, Sexy, For Her, For Dad, Night Cool, Hot, J/D, 1955 ...

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Given the popularity of Mr. Dean - James Dean he would most probably have created his own fragrance. Live ist costly today, so why not bleed the stupid fans: ...
    As not to be the drag: I feel James would most probably wear - today!, aged 75+: Creed, Royal Original Vintage Vetiver Millissime Imperial.

A*Men Pure Malt - but I don't know if he would go with the original or relaunched one? Can anyone help me?