Code of Conduct

Default Perfume sweetness

Which ingredients give perfume sweetness. I would like to know, so I can avoid those colognes.
    Which types of fragrance are usually more sweet than the others : (Aromatic, Floral , Oriental, Woody, Aromatic, Spicy, Musk...)
    Thanks.

Default Re: Perfume sweetness

Oriental is the sweeter one.

Woody scents can also be sweet at times, and can be combined resulting in a "woody-oriental" scents.

I think it depends. Most people use the word "sweet" to mean "nauseating". But all depends on personal taste. Every class of fragrance include both "sweet" or "not sweet"smells. Fir instance, some spicy colognes are very dry, but vanilla is a spice and is very sweet. Many florals are very light and fresh, but many people find violet, tuberose and most jasmine toot sweet.
    Men's fragrances are normally not sweet, and usually, if a fragrance is defined as "fresh" it's not sweet. But don't trust marketing info and press relleases: nowadays they call everything fresh, even amber.

I saw that you're in doubt between Vetiver and L'Instant. I'd definitely recomment Vetiver, as youn might find L'instant "sweet".

Quote Originally Posted by valentinamaltese View Post
    I saw that you're in doubt between Vetiver and L'Instant. I'd definitely recomment Vetiver, as youn might find L'instant "sweet".
    Yeppers +1 to this!

Vanilla seems to be the main 'sweet' note used in perfumery. Many, many feminines seem to contain it. Tastefully done its great, but some fragrances smell like you just sprayed vanilla oil all over yourself!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Depends on whether you mean sugary/candy-sweet or floral-sweet. When I think of sweet, I'm usually referring to the candy type- so I would say orientals are ones to avoid. Ambery orientals, especially ones with vanilla as a main basenote.
    Tuberose and violet are killer sweet florals.

I think that many modern mainstream fruity floras can also be very sugary sweet. Especially if the juice is pink They seem to be primarily marketed at young women, though. So I'd say oriental, gourmand, fruity and floral all have a potential to be sweet.

What is your definition of "sweet"? Sugary, like fresh baked cookies? Candy? Balsamic or resin? As stated, just about any category can have examples of sweet fragrances. Generally oriental and gourmand are on the sweet end of the spectrum.

Here are some specific ingredients commonly interpreted as sweet:
    Amber link
    Benzoin link
    Tuberose link
    Vanilla link link link
    Violet (not the leaf, which can bitterly green and dry) link

Quote Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
    especially if the juice is pink :d
    +1 lol.

Some of the big sweeteners:

Benzoin
    Musk
    Vanilla
    Florals

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

A well constructed scent may contain all the sweet ingredients yet do not smell sweet as they can be counterbalanced by other accords. Try not to get sidetracked by categories or notes/ingredients. Learn to trust your nose.

+1 on trust your nose. The term "sweet" may be a bit subjective really.