Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question The Woman's Perspective......

Hello Ladies, I wonder if, from the woman's perspective, there are any trends in preference for fragrance types (ie Oriental, Chyrpe, etc.) that you prefer experiencing on men and if so, is it the same or different that what type you prefer for yourself. The data might be interesting so, please indicate your favorite fragrance to appreciate on a man and is it different based on the man's age? If so please identify. Thanks!
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 27th September 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: The Woman's Perspective......

Well the original Dunhill for men is one that always stays in my mind as a great scent for the suave man . I love that scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Hello Ladies, I wonder if, from the woman's perspective, there are any trends in preference for fragrance types (ie Oriental, Chyrpe, etc.) that you prefer experiencing on men and if so, is it the same or different that what type you prefer for yourself. The data might be interesting so, please indicate your favorite fragrance to appreciate on a man and is it different based on the man's age? If so please identify. Thanks!
    Woody gourmands (with some florals thrown in) have been big for some years now. I like these types of scents on men, a lot. I'm still a fan of Joop! Ambery orientals too. I'd never wear them, but love them on men.
    Generally, I don't think most orientals (for sure ones with sweet vanilic bases) smell great on me. Those scents smell nice on other woman too, but it just especially does it for me on a man..maybe because it's not as common as sporty fougere and aquatic scents.
    On myself my top preference is for green florals, then woody (whether straight up, like Molecule 01, dry orientals- like Opium parfum, or chypres).
    Last edited by leffleur; 27th September 2009 at 04:56 PM.

Wait wait, are you asking for our personal preferences on what we like smelling on men, or our perceptions of trends in what women in general prefer smelling on men?
    I can only answer the former: I like things I'd choose for myself, too. My picks are skewed toward the androgynous woody/smoky/ambery orientals.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I can't answer for OH as sadly, and despite my best efforts, he refuses to wear scent.

I prefer amber, vanilla and oriental on myself. Love Guerlain SDV, Shalimar Light and L'instant, Opium, EL Amber Ylang-Ylang, Rochas Tocade, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, L'Artisan l'eau d'ambre.

I occasionally sidle up to a nicely fragrant male and discreetly have a good sniff (when hubby's not looking), and although I don't know what is worn, I know I like scents that are similar, but drier versions of my own: amber, spice, dry vanilla, sandelwood, and perhaps a little musk thrown in for good measure. Not too sweet.

Last week there was a lovely, distinguished older man that I could have easily followed home. Was going to ask him what it was, but hubby looked so sad and mortified that I desisted. I'll never know now ,
    Last edited by bubby; 27th September 2009 at 11:52 PM.

I prefer citrusy scents like Truefitt and Hill 1805, or maybe something woody/floral like Crown Perfumery Sandringham (woods and muguet), or floral such as Taylor of Old Bond Street No. 74. I would love it if more men wore jasmine scents! Keep in mind that I am speaking for myself.

I would prefer it if my husband wore jasmine scents more often , but he prefers the 1805 and Opium pour Homme. The jasmine is considered more masculine than the more feminine rose. Jasmine has long been used as an aphrodisiac in scent-making (and aromatherapy), so the Comte d'Orsay--who took baths in it and scented his gloves with it, the sly fox--was right on-target!

http://books.google.com/books?id=c9S...disiac&f=false
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th September 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

I'm always most delighted to encounter a good, old-fashioned Aromatic Fougere --particularly with some leathery depths-- now that you mention it! Also up for a classic citrus chypre!

Gourmands put me off on men, though not on women. And Orientals can go way wrong on the wrong fellow.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 27th September 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Anything other than sickly sweet gourmands- on anyone! But the best for me has a touch of barbershop. I like greens, florals, citrus. Nothing to dry and woody.

But really, just a well groomed man who makes an effort to smell good works for me.

DH does not wear cologne

Call me a cretin, but I do enjoy aquatics on a man - as long as he's not floating along in a cloud of it, Axe-style. I've also recently convinced my husband to expand beyond his beloved Armani Black Code (that gives me headaches) to wear the Ungaro Apparition Homme Intense that I picked up... mmm that stuff is nice. I'm not quite sure what flicks my bic about it, but my guess is the vetiver top and woodsy, spicy drydown. Very manly
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I have to say, I'm a bit old school in what I like on DH--pretty "butch" stuff. So far, winners include Polo, Drakkar Noir, M7, Czech & Speake Cuba, and SMN Nostalgia. That's not to say I don't appreciate other types of men's fragrances--it's just these are the ones that grab me and shake me (in a good way).
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

My favorite on men is my favorite on me. Greens, iris, vetiver & chypres. DH wears Polo Green, Sisley Eau de Campagne, PG Querelle, MPG Iris Bleu Gris, Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Etro Shaal Nur to name a few.
    I kind of bombard him with a little of everything.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th September 2009 at 10:27 PM.

My husband likes things with lime (like Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes), and while his lime colognes are pleasant, I prefer him in woody-spicy fragrances. Some that I love on him: L'Eau du Gouverneur, Tam Dao, and John Varvatos. I would like to get him a bottle of Cuba, too.

Oh, and I LOVE the way he smells in Terre d'Hermes. I know people say that vetiver-based fragrances aren't sexy, but I beg to differ.