Code of Conduct

Default C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixirs - thoughts?

There are no brick-n-mortar C.O.Bigelow stores in Manila.
    Was researching on it and found out they sell Diptyques, Miller Harris and AdP state-side (saw their online catalog).

However, did see C.O.Bigelow Barber Elixir Colognes during my last research-hunting spree (only 1 store carrying so far, and these are gray-market stock). Interested in getting at least one of them, I don't think anyone I know wears this Any thoughts on the Barber Elixir lines (Red, Black, Blue and Green)?

Researched on the boards, these seem like discount frags in the States but would like to get at least one just because of its rarity in our location (it was even in the far corner of the store. Hah!). By the way, as these are gray-market, no testers available (can't even open the box), so this will be a blind-buy Manila's almost always humid and hot so I'd appreciate suggestions which of these are more appropriate for day-office wear (I think I have enough heavy frags anyway). And wait, are these even colognes?! Aren't they like after-haircut splash stuff?! There's an after shave line on the net so I'm guessing these Barber Elixirs are really colognes...

Those who've used Barber Elixirs before, kindly chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixirs - thoughts?

I've tested these. We have a C.O. Bigelow nearby. They stopped selling Miller-Harris, but they still have a fair number of nice niche and hard-to-find fragrances. L'Artisan, CdG, Annick Goutal, several others.

The Barber Elixirs are at their store, and also at other storefronts from the same company. These include Bath & Body Works and something else that escapes me. The 4 color lines include colognes, aftershave balms, and other products. My favorite is the black, which supposedly uses agarwood or something that approximates it. That variant used to be very hard to find, but easier now. It has a medicinal, barbershop feel that my wife simply can't stand, but I like it. I also like the others - none are bad. The green is probably second with me. Somewhat pine-centered. Red is a bit spicy, but I don't recall how, and blue aquatic. All of them are very mild leanings, IMO - nothing like a REAL aquatic, green/pine, etc. They're pretty reasonably priced in the States. I did not really fall for any of them, but I wanted to own the black.

I think any of them is daywear suitable. The colognes are just that - colognes - lighter than EDTs. The aftershave balms are very light, too. I've worn both together and it is not as strong as a normal designer EdT + ASB. I think it's worth owning one, but I have no desire to own them all, even though they're very nicely priced, and (when they're on sale) one could own the full range for the price of many designer sets.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Black Elixir is the only one I thought was decent.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought the Black was the best, and the only one I considered. I'm a pretty big fan of the Bigelow Bay Rum, though.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They did not make a good first impression on me in in store testing.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never tried the Elixirs but the No. 032 Bay Rum is a winner.
    Last edited by kbe; 29th September 2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    Any thoughts on the Barber Elixir lines (Red, Black, Blue and Green)?

Manila's almost always humid and hot so I'd appreciate suggestions which of these are more appropriate for day-office wear (I think I have enough heavy frags anyway).
    I would say that it depends on how expensive the Barber line is in your area. In the United States, the colognes (well, really eaux de toilette) are less than twenty dollars, before any sales or discounts. That is pretty inexpensive.

I think that they are nice products at a good price, but nothing ground-breaking. The companion products (shower gel, shave foam, et cetera) are good quality, and the packaging is handsome and upscale.

The scents are basically copies of popular fragrances. Green = Polo Blue. Blue = Curve. Black = John Vavartos. Red = Something spicy that I can't remember right now. Green or Blue would be good choices for hot, humid days at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I would say that it depends on how expensive the Barber line is in your area. In the United States, the colognes (well, really eaux de toilette) are less than twenty dollars, before any sales or discounts. That is pretty inexpensive.

I think that they are nice products at a good price, but nothing ground-breaking. The companion products (shower gel, shave foam, et cetera) are good quality, and the packaging is handsome and upscale.

The scents are basically copies of popular fragrances. Green = Polo Blue. Blue = Curve. Black = John Vavartos. Red = Something spicy that I can't remember right now. Green or Blue would be good choices for hot, humid days at the office.
    I can second that Elixer Black = John Vartatos original. Well, it does in the topnotes at least. I haven't smelled the dry down.

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a few of these stores in NY. I love Barber Shop scents and found co bigelow has pretty good offerings. There all different versions of Barber shoppy frags. I especially enjoy there bay rum and a new Lime Cologne (forgot what it's called

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    I especially enjoy there bay rum and a new Lime Cologne (forgot what it's called
    Lemon & Lime Body Tonic: http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...ductId=3439763

Very nice, very simple.

I thought black was the worst and I love ouds. Blue wasn't that great either. Green was tolerable enought for me to buy in the "buy one get one half off" deal with my personal favorite, the red. Red has this rich, buttery spiciness. It's really nice.