Code of Conduct

Default How to make a facial toner last ?

This is my 1st post in the cosmetics section of BN

Recently, after much persuasion from the gf i have started following a proper face care regime...cleanse, tone and moisturize. However, I noticed that i have been using up my bottle of toner quite fast. Well in order to save money i'm hoping to try to make that bottle of toner last as long as possible. Does anyone have any tips on how to make a bottle of toner last longer ?

Thanks for the replies
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Default Re: How to make a facial toner last ?

Spray bottle.

ps - toners don't do anything your moisturizer & cleanser shouldn't already be doing.

I agree, I would probably just drop the toner all together. They tend to completely strip your skin of oils, but some oil is beneficial for your skin (the same way it is for your hair).

When I used a toner, I realized that my skin actually broke out more and was became unbearably dry after a few weeks. My skin has really benefitted from skipping the toner, and just cleansing and moisturizing. I liked the way Proactiv let you customer your order, so instead of getting toner, I would alternate between getting two cleaners and one lotion and getting two lotions and one cleanser.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Basenotes Institution

Best to drop the toner- a waste of money IMHO . I stopped toning years back .

But...if you must use toner, a beautician once told me to moisten your cotton pad with water ( not to use cotton balls ),squeeze out excess water and then put toner on the moistened pad - it makes the product go further.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dependent

Oh dear... I've been hoaxed into the whole toner-essential regime then. By words of most SAs, they help to remove any excess residue post-cleansing. I am going to try dropping it. BTW, my toners usually finish faster than the cleansers. It is normal.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Oh dear... I've been hoaxed into the whole toner-essential regime then. By words of most SAs, they help to remove any excess residue post-cleansing. I am going to try dropping it. BTW, my toners usually finish faster than the cleansers. It is normal.
    Matt- I think the SAs are mostly trying to reach their sales target in re. to toner ! Toner goes really fast, costs quite a bit too . Cleanse/wash really well, serum ( optional ) ,moisturise ,sunblock ,end of story !
    Tip : Even for men - use a tinted moisturiser with SPF of at least 20 - it just evens out your complexion ,looks natural and you can cut out the sunblock chapter of my story . Recommended - Clarins for this.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th September 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks for the feedback people Really appreciate it.

I have read that toners generally benefit oily/acne prone skin types. I unfortunately fall into both categories so a toner will actually help me.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Actually toner is a very important part of the skin care regime. The skin is more apt to be properly hydrated by moisturizer when applied after toner, because the skin is already pre-moistened; moisture attracts moisture, plus you will use far less of your moisturizer, which is usually much more expensive than toner. Also to save on toner usage, i always use Shiseido coton squares, which are the best, and you never need to saturate them with toner. You should only be using a small amount of toner, not enough to saturate the coton. Quality product are best used in moderation, one does not need to slather on anything.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post

I have read that toners generally benefit oily/acne prone skin types. I unfortunately fall into both categories so a toner will actually help me.
    Or it could irritate your skin to the point that it produces even MORE oil to overcompensate for all the oil you're stripping I guess you'll just have to wait and see how it works out for you! Best of luck getting your skin where you want it to be.
    Lena
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post

Use one without alcohol, it will actually work better for you in the long run. Alcohol can sometimes cause acne to flare up more and the skin to produce more oil to compensate for what is being removed.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

When I commented to an SA that I get dirt on the cotton pad when I use toner after I cleanse, she suggested I cleanse twice. So, it seems to me if your cleanser does a good job, toner is optional. Either way they sell more product if you end up cleansing twice and skipping the toner.

A spray bottle is great, I once used a splash bottle and I used up my toner twice as quickly:brolly:
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I don't use toner at all, but my skin isn't oily. But a nice astringent is plain old witch hazel. Won't strip the skin, either.

Basenotes Institution

So I guess there are pros and cons for toner . Thanks for the helpful information too Brielle ! I always learn new stuff on Basenotes !

I actually like toner...a LOT. I have combination skin (tending towards oily), and - as you can see - I live in a climate that is really pretty warm year-round (but I'm not complaining!). It can be very humid and occasionally the air pollution (from the volcano) is a a bit yucky. What this all means for someone like me - it can be tough to keep your skin clean (particularly if you feel compelled - like me - to wear makeup on most days).

I find that my skin gets just a bit cleaner with the toner. I notice fewer breakouts, definitely, and my skin is smoother.

I also avoid toners with alcohol - they are too harsh.

I've also noticed that toners often come with that stupid spray/mist top last a bit longer than the ones with a "pour" top or a top with a small hole (so you don't dump the whole thing on your pad). You might try the spray mist top, if you like...

You might "save" on toner by using it only once a day - such as only in the evening.

HTH.
    Last edited by RainDropSparkle; 30th September 2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: re-read thread

great reading all the feedback ladies. Thanks

I actually was using Clinique's 3 Step previously and the clarifying lotion was too harsh and didn't really help control my acne. Right now i'm using a Lab Series Oil Control Solution. It does contain alcohol but much lesser than Clinique's. So far i have been happy with the results but the Lab Series toner is finishing fast. I finished half a bottle in a month. So having to buy a new bottle every 2 months is not going to be cheap. I use the toner twice a day, 2 cotton pads every time to cover both face and neck. I wonder if i'm using too much toner?

JoNnY4,

Count me in the pro-toner camp.

Probably once a day is enough. Are you saturating those cotton pads with water first? Alternate application method - leave your face wet from your post-shave rinse, and apply with your hand.

When your Lab Series is finished, please try Paula's Skin Relief Treatment as your replacement toner.

And I really encourage you to explore the other Paula's products to control your acne - at the very least the 2% BHA liquid - and if your acne is quite bad, the Blemish Fighting Solution as well.

I like toner, I find it refreshing, but half the time I don't bother. My grandmother used witch hazel as toner. It's very inexpensive. You can buy a bottle in the drugstore for a couple of dollars. It doesn't have alcohol in it so it's not drying.

I feel the toning step with a cotton pad gives me some extra exfoliation. I use retinol in the evenings which is keratolytic, and I feel the cotton pad really removes the top layer of dead cells that are loosened up by the retinol.

Apart from that, I use my Paula's Choice toner to bring in some extra anti oxidants before my sunscreen (not Paula's, Paula's sunscreens suck compared to European sunscreens due to limiting FDA regulations and Paula's unwillingless to pay for proper avobenzone stabilization patents).
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Stereotomy and Dr_Rudi - thanks for the rec to Paula's Choice! I've been looking for a glycolic acid lotion for my keratosis pilaris that wouldn't break the bank... looks like this will fit the bill nicely!
    Lena

For dry skin, Paula's 8% AHA lotion is nice. For any other skin, the gel is a good solution. You can also order samples first, they're very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by inscentiable View Post
    Stereotomy and Dr_Rudi - thanks for the rec to Paula's Choice! I've been looking for a glycolic acid lotion for my keratosis pilaris that wouldn't break the bank... looks like this will fit the bill nicely!
    You're welcome.

Note that Paula's Choice recommend the BHA products to treate keratosis pilaris, not the AHA products. I readily recommend the 2% BHA liquid, but I have no experience with the gel or the lotion.

From their website:

Alpha hydroxy acids (typically lactic or glycolic acid, both very effective forms of alpha hydroxy acid) can help exfoliate skin cells, but these aren't effective for dissolving the sebum (the hardened oil inside a pore) that cause the problem. As a result, alpha hydroxy acids can't penetrate into the pore and exfoliate the lining of the pore to help remove the plug. For this type of problem a beta hydroxy acid product (with the active ingredient salicylic acid) and a pH low enough for exfoliation to occur can make all the difference in the world. Note: I hear from many readers dealing with keratosis pilaris that their dermatologist consistently recommends treating it with an AHA product, specifically LacHydrin, available at most drugstores. I'm not sure why these doctors aren’t recommending BHA products instead, but suspect it's because they’re unaware of the small number of options available. Needless to say, the comments I hear are that the AHA product did not reduce the keratosis pilaris, and the doctor had no other options to offer, which left the patient frustrated. Given what we know about keratosis pilaris and how BHA products work, it makes sense to consider them before trying an AHA product, however well-intentioned your dermatologist’s advice may be.

I don't use toner, though I do use lavender witch hazel sometimes after I shave. It seems with the cheap cotton pads I was going through much more of it. Once I upgraded to the Shiseido cotton pads I guess the pads are a bit more effective in retaining the liquid and it's easier to apply the area without getting a bunch of cotton fleece all over the face.

I'd try both AHA and BHA samples for keratosis pilaris. They are cheap enough to experiment. AHA's penetrate deeper into the skin (esp. glycolic acid due to its small size) than BHA's but can't penetrate a pore when it's filled with sebum. But since you'll use these products right after cleansing your face, the difference might be marginable.

Trying out is the best way - I've learned to not hold Paula's Choice advice as holy, as she's been very wrong before in the past, while maintaining that 'I know it all'-tone.

I love toner. it makes my moisturizer last longer since I use less of it, and the toner that i use does something for me that my moisturizer doesn't. I use the Shu Uemura phyto black toner. It's made with mineral rich sea water instead of alcohol or witch hazel, so it's more nourishing and definitely not an astringent. The black tea extract is really rich in antioxidants; it's part of the brightening/lifting line. I love it, and it lasts a long time.

Pretty much all of my toner does, because I pour a small amount of it into the palm of one hand (wash those very well before, of course) and press it into my face with the fingers of the other hand. No rubbing or scrubbing or swiping it all over, and definitely no cotton balls or pads. Just think of how much is left on them! I press it in and let it dry before I apply my serum or moisturizer. My skin is very happy. Toners I love:

Fresh cosmetics Sea Water and Ginger toner
    Shu Uemura phyto black lifting toner
    Shu Uemura Red-juvenating toner

Avalon Organics Lavender Toner has all kinds of great ingredients, it's a natural antiseptic (kills germs that can cause blemishes) and has salicylic acid in it to clean pores. It's not expensive, either. Aubrey Organics also makes some wonderful toners by skin type, good for men and women. You can check out their webpage, my favorite is Rosa Mosqueta (rose hips form of vitamin C ) with anti aging properties, but they have several different kinds depending on your needs. They also sell little trial bags with moisturizer, toner, face mask, etc, to try out. I usually splash toner on my wet face, since my skin is dry, and then follow with a serum and/or moisturizer. Avalon Vit C serum is great, WalMart is even selling Avalon products now. I used to have to buy them in the health food store.

Your feedback has been well appreciated. I realized I was using too much toner and drenching the face with toner is not going to be good. I'm going to use a more moderate amount now
    Although there arguments for and against toner i'm going going to continue applying it twice a day because it feels really nice and refreshing.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 8th October 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Get another toner to use along with what you have - one for the morning and one at night - that's what I do. That should round out your regime and make it last.

I splash it on my face twice a day after washing while my skin is still wet, so I'm probably diluting them to some extent, and I've never had a problem. I use two different kinds so I'm not getting too much of any one thing and can tell that my skin doesn't do as well without them. It's one of the best ways to get good ingredients on without piling on the moisturizers if you use one that contains them. I really prefer the toners from organic lines that contain more botanicals specifically good for the skin. There are lots of brands but aubrey-organics.com is probably my favorite, along with avalon (the lavender also works well as an antiseptic for little cuts, bug bites, etc.)

Witch hazel also works, as mentioned. Thayers is a good brand and very inexpensive. See their selection:

http://www.thayers.com/store/index.p...=index&cPath=3
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th October 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I've learned to not hold Paula's Choice advice as holy, as she's been very wrong before in the past, while maintaining that 'I know it all'-tone.
    She is out to sell things and has an attitude. I might add that aha's can be harsh and I have had problems with them in the past, I use gentle microdermabrasion for exfoliation now which doesn't bother my sensitive skin and results are immediate.
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th October 2009 at 07:27 PM.