Code of Conduct

Default Need some SPICE!

Hi guys,

Seeing as its autumn/ fall now, my fave time of year, I'm definitely getting a craving for warmer more spicier perfumes. So far I love Hypnotic poison, it being the spiciest I have found so far.........

I wondered if you guys had some more recs for me, what to try next spicy wise......the only annoying thing about HP is that coconutty note but it soon fades to wonderful spicyness.

Any recs most welcome as I'm not sure where I'm going spice wise

Default Re: Need some SPICE!

SL 5 OClock au Gingembre is like a gingersnap on a plate with gingersnap with a cup of hot ginger tea. Did I mention the ginger? Very nice.

New Tabac Blond smells like cloves to me. Maybe I would be happier with it if I weren't so angry at it for what it is not. Which is Tabac Blond. (grumble)

I see you have Coco Mlle in your avatar...have you tried Original Coco? I find it quite warm and spicy.

Sous le Vent has a green open and a spicy drydown...perfect for those days when a warm, golden fall afternoon fades to a crisper evening.

I love the warm spiciness of Samsara as well. Very sensual.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Oooh thank you mo, some great unusual suggestions there!

I do like Original Coco, but theres something in it that almost annoys me.......can't pinpoint what it is. I also quite like Opium, but I find its very 'clean' on me, anything with orange blossom type thing in it is I've found. Gorgeous perfume though.

Spicy, huh?

I love spicy! My favorites are Idole, Lubin; Egoiste, Chanel; Sables, Annick Goutal. And then there is the classically spicy Black Cashmere.

Dani, I love HP, too! There's no coconut in it on me, though. So here are my recs and favorite spicy things.. I love spicy .

Fendi Theorema is warm and spicy cedar, gingerbread, and pomander. It is easy to wear and beautiful.

Bal a Versailles edt is all-out glamour. I understand the parfum and the edc are really animalic ( I haven't tried those formulae) but the edt is a rich, beautiful, un-skanky oriental. And it lasts for-eva!

Tabu, lots of gals on here will tell you it's best in its vintage form, again, I've never tried that. The current rendition reminds me of a collide of HP and Ambre Narguile. It has that HP root beer thing and the AN freshly baked honey cinnamon raisin bread. It's more brash than either AN or HP, though, with a little bit of naughtiness woven throughout. I couldn't begin to tell you what that means, but it's definitely there.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 30th September 2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: can't deal with a misspelling!

Therese, I am sampling Idole and LOVE it. Lovely floral/ spicy mix!! I've tried the new purple ltd edition DKNY for women, it is yummy spicy........mmmmmmm must try it again!

Oooh I wish I could get my mitts on some black cashmere, I've a feeling I'd like it lots
    Mind you I do like cashmere mist as well

Sunnyfunny, those all sound YUMMY!! Thank you. More to try..........

Anybody whos got Hypnotic poison, do you have the eau de toilette? or the elixir one? I've a feeling I've sampled two and one was more coconutty, which I wasn't sure of ? its the not so coconut version I like......any ideas? I wouldn't want to buy the wrong one haha

Chergui by Serge Lutens

You should sample Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale. Gingerbread/mincemeat pie spicy, yummy. One of my all time favorites.

I recently tried Asja by Fendi which is sadly discontinued but I think you can still find it. Very spicy as well. I second the Theorema too. Get them while you can.

I was craving spicy + sweet this afternoon, so I rummaged through the samples and tried a layering experiment: KL edt (Karl Lagerfeld's '80s fragrance), which is orangey-spicy and Yves Rocher's Rose Absolute, which is a citrussy rose + cinnamon. It's a great combination. I can't wear heavily spicy fragrances like Coco or Youth Dew or Tabu for long, even though I love them. After a while I weary of them, like beating a dead horse into the ground. Dunno why. Hermes Equipage is spicy, a men's fragrance but I think easily wearable by women, and Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir is sweet/spicy, a bit strange but it grows on you. Adding: Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant - powerhouse sweet & spicy.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th September 2009 at 05:40 PM.

Second, third and fourth the PG Un Crime Exotique suggestion. What about something spicy and sheer like l'Artisan's Poivre Piquant or Piment Brulant?

There's also a few Ava Luxes like Kashmir Spice and Ambra Tibet although I have no idea how available they are since AL all but shut down her shop.

Highly agree with Fendi Theorema as well. Also try DSH Cimabue which is spicy and warm rice pudding minus heavy sweetners.

Enjoy!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

oooh some interesting ones there, thanks

Any recs for more easier to find perfumes? that I could easily have a try of in the department store?

I second the Fendi Theorema
    Also: Burberry Brit Red, Elizabeth Arden Spiced Green Tea, Schiaparelli Shocking (vintage), Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude, Givenchy Organza Indecence

Some of mine are repeats, but here are designer frags I love that are spicy:

Chanel Coco
    Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum)
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Givenchy Organza Indecence

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    Anybody whos got Hypnotic poison, do you have the eau de toilette? or the elixir one? I've a feeling I've sampled two and one was more coconutty, which I wasn't sure of ? its the not so coconut version I like......any ideas? I wouldn't want to buy the wrong one haha
    Mine's edt. I can't find much on how the elixir smells, but checking out some of the HP edt reviews on here finds another coconut reference and a few who got a suntan lotion note. Hope that helps..

Basenotes Institution

Have you read any of my 'cinnamon' threads Dani? Here's the one from last year: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=206242
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I also quite like Opium, but I find its very 'clean' on me, anything with orange blossom type thing in it is I've found. Gorgeous perfume though.
    I've NEVER heard anyone describe Opium as "clean"

you must have an interesting experience with it
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I f you can get hold of it, Cinnabar by Estee Lauder is SPICY in spadefulls!
    Also try Noir Epices by Malle. I didn't like it (too clovey for my taste) but many
    people do. Sinfonia di Notte do a scent called Coeur de Noisette that you might
    like also, with spices in the drydown.

Sur la Plage

Comme des Garcons Parfum
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My suggestions:

Sushi Imperiale! Sushi Imperiale! (Bois 1920)
    l'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two
    Another vote for Un Crime Exotique
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate seems more spicy than tea to me.
    Possets Gingerbread Whorehouse (smells exactly like pfefferneusse to me.)

Crayfish

I second the suggestion of Youth Dew Amber Nude. It is totally yumsters when the weather gets cooler. I'd say it is heavy on ginger and cinnamon, but I when I wear it my partner always shouts: CHRISTMAS PUDDING!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

+1 for Theorema. It's a bit on the heavy side, but great. If you can find the Leggero (EdT) version, it's nice and spicy too, albeit more tangeriney.
    Last edited by andylama; 30th September 2009 at 09:56 PM.

SL Ambre Sultan, CDG Jaisalmer and to a lesser extent Costes. Or if you're in for a challenge, Spezie and Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Opium, Cinnabar, Chergui, Coco - all good ones !

Dani California, Lightgreen .... i have head that Opium EDT comes a cross as' fresh' on some skins - though not mine !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    I've NEVER heard anyone describe Opium as "clean"

you must have an interesting experience with it
    I was really suprised by it It starts off lovely and spicy and yummy, then I'm not quite sure what happens but it turns out really fresh!! Very interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Opium, Cinnabar, Chergui, Coco - all good ones !

Dani California, Lightgreen .... i have head that Opium EDT comes a cross as' fresh' on some skins - though not mine !
    Thats it exactly, it comes off really 'fresh' on me, its interesting!

Opium

Chergui & Opium - hell I think I'm gonna throw some on me right now!

Spicy is defenitely my favourite category in scents! From the top of my head: Chergui, Arabie, Rousse,Feminite du bois(Serge Lutens)....But also: Kingdom( Alexander Mc Queen),Coco and Egoiste(both Chanel),Ava Luxe Madame X ,Omnia and last bot not least Dolce Vita(Dior)
    Last edited by ineespenes; 6th October 2009 at 05:37 PM.

What about Ormonde Jayne Ta'if? It's a lovely floral + safron scent on me.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Here are some of my favorite spicy scents:

Opium - I prefer parfum (softer and more purely spicy), but EDT is also nice (although I find it a tad musty at times.)

Coco - I like EDT, EDP and parfum. Parfum is I suppose easiest to wear but EDT is also nice. EDP is very strong, although a beautiful scent in and of itself. I also have a bottle of the Voile Parfume, which is body mist. It's very light, almost like an "essence of Coco" scent. I'd like to try the body lotion.

Coco Mademoiselle - I like the EDP best, as EDT is muskier and more citrusy (grapefruity). I like the patchouli-vetiver drydown.

Borsari Fontana Deco - This is like Coco Mademoiselle, but was invented something like 100 years earlier! It's sort of like Coco Mademoiselle with a less sharp orange note and a bit less patchouli.

Fendi Asja - This is a great plummy spicy scent with a subtle patchouli drydown. Almost like Opium but with plum instead of the orange note.

Magie Noire - I think vintage is best for this one. I like the deep patchouli musk drydown.

Samsara - This is my HG scent, but for me it's not really spicy, just a skin-like sandalwood on me.

Shalimar - Parfum only. Nice vanilla musk with faint lemony notes. EDT is heavier on the lemon and too sharp for me.

Lancome Magnifique - This is a spicy saffron rose.

Lancome Miracle - Spicy ginger-peppery-mild jasmine.

oooh some interesting ones there, thanks

Any recs for more easier to find perfumes? that I could easily have a try of in the department store?
    If you are near a Penhaligons you should definitely try Amaranthine - cardamom and cumin (I think), very gorgeous and feminine. I think Kingdom would be good too - as Inspenes suggested - this is spicy that you will either love or hate. I think it is still sold in the UK, Debenhams/House of Fraser would be worth trying.

Soir - at "Christmas Pudding"! You have piqued my curiousity.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan
    Cinnabar
    Opium
    Tabu
    Fendi (original)
    Dioressence is also a fabulous one
    Last edited by Brielle87; 23rd November 2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    +1 for Theorema. It's a bit on the heavy side, but great. If you can find the Leggero (EdT) version, it's nice and spicy too, albeit more tangeriney.
    Oh thank you for that post- I could not really find any info on how Leggero version, which seems more available, and more affordable, differs from original- you have inspired me to stimulate the economy on Leggero

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Oh thank you for that post- I could not really find any info on how Leggero version, which seems more available, and more affordable, differs from original- you have inspired me to stimulate the economy on Leggero
    The Leggero is clearly the same fragrance, but has a very different balance of notes. The spiced-tea-with-milk accord is downplayed (but still there and recognizable) and the tangeriney topnote is turned way up. In my mind, it's a more light/fresh/summery version of an otherwise heavyish wintery fragrance.

Theorema has another flanker that bears mentioning:

Esprit d'Ete - quite different. Very nice, but only tangentially related. The spice accord is basically gone, leaving you with what I would call "orange creamsicle and suntan lotion". Smells like a day at the beach in summer. Longevity is poor, but it will make you smile while it lasts. The good news is that you can find a 50ml bottle for about $11 online. At that price, you really can't go wrong.

There was also a limited edition flanker in the same bottle (don't remember the name) with the juice dyed Windex-blue. Never smelled it, but it's long gone, so probably safe to forget about it. The blue juice looked ridiculous/cheap anyway.

Then there's the "for men" version in a different bottle (pale green juice), but I've never smelled it and never heard anything remarkable about it anyway.

When the original Theorema is all gone (sadly, it's almost extinct), supposedly there is a (very expensive) Armani Prive fragrance that is basically Theorema (and composed by the same perfumer) just slightly tweaked...at several times the price. Sigh.

Get 'em while you can!

Spicy for me lately is Parfum d'Empire Wazamba. Mmmmm!

"Wazamba"? Really? What a great name!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Mine's edt. I can't find much on how the elixir smells, but checking out some of the HP edt reviews on here finds another coconut reference and a few who got a suntan lotion note. Hope that helps..
    mine is the edt and for me there is a coconut beachy element to it

my spice recommendations:

Kingdom

Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger (orange blossom and a touch of saffron)

Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon !!!

Caron's Parfum Sacre peppery rose and incense

Salvador Dali (the bottle with the big nose and lips)

Paloma Picasso
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Costes
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Cinnabar!

Basenotes Plus

So many excellent suggestions, and all my favorites are here. I don't think I've seen Coup de Fouet mentioned, another fave of mine, so I'll add that one.

Oh! Just thought of another - Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah. It is wonderfully spicy, however you must love lavender (I do) as it has lots of that in the opening. Gorgeous scent.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 24th November 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: thought of another one
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Need some SPICE!

Parfum Sacre.

Hi, I've been a member for a few years but haven't posted here before. I had to jump into this one because I do love the spicy scents. My favorite - not just for spicy but my "Scent Spouse" (the one I always come back to no matter how many flings I have with others) - is Interlude by Frances Denny. I have it on now and can't get my nose out of my arm. Mmmmmm.
    Last edited by oldnose; 24th November 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: early a.m. illiteracy

Welcome oldnose! Like you, I've been reading the boards for a while, but just recently joined the discussion.

Here are a few spicy scents I don't think have been mentioned: Costume National 21 (creamy, spicy woods), L'Air du Desert Marocain (dry, spicy amber), and CdG Ouarzazate (spicy incense).

+1 on FM Noir Epices, but it's not readily available, sadly. Spice and orange bomb!

Also Kristen Michele Parfumeur's Epice Orientale, but it has a similar vibe to Opium (although I like EO and not Opium). Who knows, EO might be "dirtier" on you. Although it's probably even less readily available than Noir Epices.

For more readily available, I like Kingdom, Parfum Sacre, and Black Cashmere but never really thought of them as spicy before. Go figure! I guess I made up my mind early on that I wasn't really a spice girl and then forgot to notice that there are a number of spicy frags I like.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I don't think anyone's mentioned Frapin's Caravelle Epicee. It's a lovely warm spice & woods fragrance Listed notes: Coriander, Nutmeg, Hot Pepper, Pepper, Thyme, Gaiac Wood, Patchouli, Amber, Tobacco, Sandalwood.