Code of Conduct

Default S o T D Wednesday Sept. 30, 2009

Hello ladies. Hope everyone has a great Wednesday. My package didn't come in in time for me to wear this yesterday, so I'm wearing it today.

Amouage Reflection Man

Top Notes: Rosemary, Red Pepper Berries, Bitter Orange Leaves
    Middle Notes: Orris, Jasmine, Neroli, Ylang Ylang
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cedar

I really love the contrasts of this scent although I have to admit I'm still wrapping my head around it. I had mixed impressions when sampling it from a Luckyscent dab vial. The last few wearings I found it more and more enjoyable and there was always some mysterious quality about it - even from the first sampling - that I just loved. I have to admit that ordering the full bottle was rather impulsive as I felt I probably should have tested it more, first. And trust me, Amouage or Amouage-like prices are not at all chump change to me!

That being said, I really enjoy this. The rosemary and pepper are extremely evident when initially sprayed but they don't come off sharp or harsh as they are softened by the florals of the heart. The heart is an interesting blend of jasmine, neroli and orris. The rosemary still lingers in the background, slightly green and slightly camphorous, adding the needed contrast to what would otherwise be a too floral, too feminine heart. I think the vetiver and cedar in the base are utilized primarily to extend the green, coniferous elements of the rosemary (the cedar especially, as the cedar used here is not at all thick or heavy, but instead light in 'density' or opacity - if that makes any sense - but a bit sharp, which again, is a needed contrast to the other soft notes).

The scent calls to mind two different images, perhaps another testament to its interesting use of contrasts (as it comes across as both spicy and soft, warm and cool, masculine and feminine, etc). The first image is standing in a small grove of pine trees at the edge of a lake. A large, lazily drifting cloud has just moved in front of the sun and accompanying the newly found shade is a cool breeze. The still water stirs and the trees around you rustle as the chilled wind carries with it not only the scent of the water and its surroundings, but that unmistakable scent of a new weather front rolling in, the scent of a storm on the horizon.

Alternately I get an image of a crisp winter day. The sun, blinding, as it reflects off of virgin, crystalline snow. In the distance is the hill you'd spend these wintery days of your childhood sledding down, behind it a river, coiled and silent - frozen. Behind that are all variety of pine and spruce, the green of their needles poking through, here and there, the white blanket of snow. Every breath reminds you of just how good it feels to be alive as that crispness and electric vitality belonging only to winter air cools your lungs, refreshes your soul.

------------------------------------------------------

Normally I'd be grateful the week is half over, but this week has been going so amazing, with two new bottles showing up, all kinds of wonderful evenings with my better half, and an upcoming mini-vacation this weekend (romantic train ride and shopping on day one, Six Flags amusement park (first weekend of fright fest!) on day two [ok, no more parenthesis after this, I promise!]) that I wish it would never end. Anyhow, I hope everyone has a great Wednesday. edit: Oops, I said that twice in this post. Well, I guess I really DO want everyone to have a great day!

edit #2: This scent has a bit of an Ourobouros quality

It ends similarly to where it begins, as if it is swallowing its own tail in an eternal cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. The "moth ball" note some have mentioned in the reviews is the clever use of cedar and vetiver here, along with perhaps the jasmine and some other unlisted notes to carry the rosemary note - or at least create an illusion of it - throughout the scent. During the middle though the neroli, jasmine and orris dominate, but as they fade to reveal the spicier, warmer base notes, it feels as if one is returning to the beginning phases of the scent. The later drydown does not smell exactly like the opening phase, but it does smell similar enough to bring things full circle. Lucas Sieuzac has done a fabulous job of constructing a scent that not only works extremely well on a symbolic level - being filled with seemingly diametrically opposed contrasts - but also on an olfactory and wearability level.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th September 2009 at 07:02 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: S o T D Wednesday Sept. 30, 2009

SL A la Nuit for me today. Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Thumbs up Re: S o T D Wednesday Sept. 30, 2009

Patricia de Nicolaï 's

ODALISQUE

Beautiful Green Chypre

Top Notes
    bergamot and mandarin oils
    Heart Notes
    lily of the valley, jasmine,iris, oakmoss
    Base Notes
    musk
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Amouage Silver Cologne
    Wishlist is pointless.

SoS, this description was a labor of love, keep'em coming on this side of the board too! Just wait until Miss "Dragon" R wakes up in the Netherlands and sees the picture of your Ourobouros, it sure rocks my world!

Welcome back, T! I was wondering where you have been hiding....

Early here and I have already put on some of incomparable Alahine, 43 degrees F outside and I am baking sugar cookies for breakfast == beats any cereal that tastes mostly like cardboard boxes to me. Yesterday we picked up two handsome pumpkins at a road stand, one for the porch and another one for baking and seeds.

Have a nice hump day and the last day of September.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Remembering our own "Sudsy" today in a touch of Kingdom by Alexander McQueen
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Brooks Brothers Black Fleece for Men.

Top notes: citrus and fresh spices
    Middle notes: geranium, bourbon and rosewood
    Base notes: patchouli, incense and vetiver

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Good mornings !
    Twolfie- I like your style, girl.
    Alahine and cookies sounds FINE by me ;-)

SOS- I haven't smelled Reflection for men, but I LOVE the women's, M. Roucel made it purty;-)
    [Count me in as a huge Ourobouros fan ! Can I wear that thing ????]

Tired and achy but OK.
    Wearing Amouage Epic yesterday and last night; I love it so.
    Just a work of art that is beautifully blended and hums along like the purr of a well-maintained engine ;-)

Will full-wear Visa today.

Glad many are on the mend...
    Please, look on Fragrantica for a review of Futur soon [ I hope ! Thanks, SMM ;-) ].

Big hugs to all-

Rose Flamenco
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Wanted to wear something different today amd sort of got it right, courtesy of a generous friend.

Etat Libre D'Orange Tom of Finland

I have come to appreciate and look forward to wearing all of the scents I have tried from Etat Libre D'Orange. One of the things I like most is their ability to push at traditional perfume composition in interesting ways. Not all of them are resounding successes but I find all of them awaken possibilities to me. Tom of Finland was released in 2008 and was composed by Antoine Lie. In the little booklet that accompanies the bottle it says that M. Lie was attempting to make a scent that "does not disturb the odor of men". Which is an interesting concept but I think I wear cologne so that it does disturb my odor. The top of Tom of Finland is a fresh combination of a slight buzz of aldehydes along with lemon and cypress. I really like the light use of the aldehydes here as it gives the top a little bit of pizazz. The heart of this is all suede leather and it is a nice light wearing leather and Tom of Finland stays fixed as a suede-like leather on me for a long while. That fixation is nice but after too long it gets a tad repetitious and I want the scent to move along a bit, which it eventually does. The base is the weakest part of Tom of Finland as it is a weak mix of vanilla and iris. Tom of Finland has average longevity and below average sillage. It's odd that for the first time I am wearing an Etat Libre D'Orange fragrance and the overwhelming urge I have is to ask for more to be added to it. Unfortunately I think they got it right in their description Tom of Finland does not sufficiently "disturb" for my tastes.

Have a Worldly Wednesday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 30th September 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Parfumee Au The' Rouge by Bulgari

YSL Opium... I smell like cinnamon buns...

Good morning all Just came back from the studytrip to Alta.It's been exhausting,but fun! Today I was in the mood for Tam Dao,so that is my sotd.SotE is Mitsouko.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 30th September 2009 at 03:39 PM.

On this chilly fall morning I am wearing Ambre Sultan. Wish I had worn leather gloves.

Morning all!

Wearing the last of my Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir this morning.
    Continuing my quest to weed out my samples by dumping them on my head.

Woody, spicy, the barest hint of tart fruit. This would smell phenomenal on a man.
    --------------------------------------------

BTW - Sunnyfunny, how did the cat enjoy Chanel No.22?
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

SculptureofSoul, what a terrific post this morning! Thank you for sharing that, I really enjoyed reading it. Sounds like Amouage Reflection Man loves you. I hope you have a fabulous time on your mini-vacation. Love your picture of the Ourobouros.

Petruccijc, how goes the Black Fleece? I think I really like those bottles. I must find a Brooks Bros. around here to investigate further.

I’m wearing Chanel No. 5 edt. It’s loooooving me today.

I hope everyone has a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Morning all!

Wearing the last of my Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir this morning.

Woody, spicy, the barest hint of tart fruit. This would smell phenomenal on a man.
    I like your sample culling strategy. I have to start doing the same.

I layered Pomegranate Noir last year over BBW Midnight Pomegranate for Thanksgiving. It worked very well. I didn't like PN at first, but it grew on me. I don't think I'd ever want or use up a full bottle, though I would love to smell it on anyone in my general vicinity.

Oh, for crying out loud.

Today was Mom Day. It was the first day all three of my kids would be back in school!

How wrong a Mo can be. DD #1 wrenched her ankle and now can hardly walk, which means we'll be at the doctor this morning and possibly getting X Rays. That should be fun.

Especially because DD #3 woke up and promptly barfed all over everything. Awesome!

Mitsouko EdT for strength.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

SOTD - Black Orchid Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford
    SOTE - Allure edp

Basenotes Plus

Yikes Mo! Hope your kiddies are better soon.
    Ubu, glad your son is on the mend.

Sotd is Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light. Utter loveliness.

Have a great day, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Terre d'Hermes

Blog Entries

Even though it is getting cooler, I am still enjoying wearing L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger.

Thanks Chaya and Lily and everyone else for making me feel welcome over here. I think I might just come and visit you ladies more often!

Chaya - I just put a dab of Reflection woman on a card. Ooh, this is nice. Cold and salty opening - reminds me a bit of Lys Mediterranee although it smells more natural.

Also put dabs of Epic Woman, Lyric Woman, and a host of others on cards (I tossed some very quick impressions into a thread which you can find here if interested: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=236848 )

Sorry to hear of all the stress Mo. If there's any silver lining it's that when mom day finally does come around you'll enjoy it that much more (ok, I know how hokey that sounds just trying to think positive!)
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th September 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm wearing Givenchy III parfum today. It smells like fall.

Basenotes Institution

Sculpture Of Soul - you are always welcome here with your lovely wafting scents !
    Many hugs to Chaya, Mo and Mo's little ones too.
    A HUGE HUG to 3xasif and my support too !

This morning , it's Beyond Love By Kilian .
    I have return to the dentist today - joy of joys !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th September 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

While my dearheart's away (painting our rental property) fig and I will play today (Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis).

Waiting for Tigs to launch the most-worn-in-September thread cuz I know the answers this time for sure.

Musse, what a fantastic bit of art you've claimed for your avatar. I'm not pleased about its symbolism of turmoil, but that tortured heart is a beautiful thing. Kissing you on both cheeks. Can you feel me?

Ubu, I'm so relieved for your son. He's been on my mind. He's so fortunate to have a caring and fun mom like you.

Hey, Mo, sorry DD#1 suffered the wrenched ankle. Am feeling sympatico. Wrenched my knee just walking through the bathroom this a.m. So dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    YSL Opium... I smell like cinnamon buns...
    You and Twolf are making me hungry! Sugar cookies and cinnamon buns... can you hear my stomach rumbling from there? And here's me trying to drop a few (dozen - ha! as if!) pounds for Xmas. Still, drooling over my keyboard isn't going to do me any harm, is it?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! love it!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think I might just come and visit you ladies more often!
    Goody! We like visitors! And see, we're all nice and everything. We don't bite. (NO, I'm not going to say the terrible thing that just popped into my head! Filter, filter!!)

I'm in Miller Harris' Terre de Bois today - a recent blind buy from eBay. I really like it. It's fresh and has that 'eau de cologne' vibe but it also has staying power, which is wonderful. I have my German lesson on a Wednesday morning and don't want to overwhelm my teacher with my perfume, so keep it safe. This is ideal. I can see myself wearing this regularly.

I was very tempted to layer it post-lesson with Dzing! because it was the village's Cow Show today. The marketplace was full of surprisingly noisy beasts mooing like mad. The best ones got presented with decorated cowbells. Yes, in Switzerland the cows actually do wear cowbells while in the fields. And there are a lot of windowboxes of geraniums. It's clean and tidy and everyone is always early for everything. It's all true. (And the cheese and chocolate are THAT good here too. Why do you think I need to lose half my bodyweight?)

So with that hymn of praise for the country that puts up with me living in it, I bid you 'Tschuss!' and wish you a very good last day of September. May it be fruitful and light on your heart and may the sick come out of the shagpile. (I feel for you Mo!)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Balenciaga Talisman

GM dear BNers! SOTD is Chantecaille Tiare - very bright opening but has dried down to a pretty powdery tropical floral with a hint of a wood note.

Bois des Iles with Bois de Violette

The recent patchouli mentions here at BN got to me, so I'm wearing Voleur de Roses to go with my red cardigan (a cool day here - yay!).

SoS, I enjoyed your review! And your description of Reflection Woman really has me going. Must try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Musse, what a fantastic bit of art you've claimed for your avatar. I'm not pleased about its symbolism of turmoil, but that tortured heart is a beautiful thing. Kissing you on both cheeks. Can you feel me?
    Q, darling, I never thought of the heart that way, I was just looking for something to illustrate "Tangled up in Blue", one of my favourite Dylan songs.
    Yes, I feel your presence, and I´m kissing you right back *kisses my wrist, which smells so good of Mitsouko, and pretending it is Quarry´s cheeks*

Mitsouko,Q - who would have believed that a year ago...

Hugs all around!
    Last edited by musse; 30th September 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Thank you for the hugs & support mysticknot!
    I think I love the all hugs flying around the SOTD thread the most
    Mo! Poor dd and poor mummie (((hugs)))

Today the soft, clean & gentle Il Profumo Musc Bleu

It will be time for a back up bottle of this one soon...
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 30th September 2009 at 09:35 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Was wearing jeans and black leather today so CdG2 made the most sense. Am now in fleecy lounging pajamas and rediscovering my love of PG Musc Maori
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

House twins with Wordie today in Miller Harris's Fleurs de Bois (thanks, VM, darling!). Ohhhhh, it's beautiful! VM said I would like it, and she was absolutely right. Gorgeous galbanum and good, green sappiness, offset with a touch of my beloved oakmoss. It's like Cristalle crossed with Vent Vert.

I love it!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I just have one moment free, to post my

sotd: Voleur de Roses

and

sote: Spazio - Krizia

:wave:

Basenotes Plus

More Natori & hugs to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    House twins with Wordie today in Miller Harris's Fleurs de Bois (thanks, VM, darling!). Ohhhhh, it's beautiful! VM said I would like it, and she was absolutely right. Gorgeous galbanum and good, green sappiness, offset with a touch of my beloved oakmoss. It's like Cristalle crossed with Vent Vert.
    I love it!
    WOW! That sounds stunning. You smell wonderful!!
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

...breezing in late today...in Chanel Bois des Isles.

Looking forward to a cheese tasting with friends tonight, and will choose something close-wearing... probably Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque.

Have a good night, all!
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 30th September 2009 at 11:41 PM.

This morning it was Eau d'Orlane. This afternoon I'm having trouble deciding....okay..Un Lys it is. Hugs to all!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post

I love it!
    OMG - another galbanum beauty ! Lemming this with 3xasif !!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

BTW - Sunnyfunny, how did the cat enjoy Chanel No.22?
    She is not down with aldehydes. I let her sniff my decant when I first got it and she did that squinty-eye thing cats do when they encounter citrus. Besides, these Exclusif bottles are so small, I wouldn't really want to waste any of it on someone unappreciative.

Headachy and cranky today, so I went light with Champs-Elysees.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Good afternoon all.

Mo hope all are on the mend chez vous.

Sos, we love when the men come on over for a visit, you should plan on stayin' awhile

Outlandish, i hope you will be feeling better soon.

Hugs to everyone here, it is starting to really turn chill and i know we can all use them now.

Started the day wearing Adieu Sagesse de Patou, that was so warm and cozy.

Now for the evening i am wearing Yendi de Capucci, which is so sweet and sparkly it is like an elegant dessert.

Hubby and i have less than 48 hours until we close on our new house, so be prepared for the house thread to really start picking up some steam. I will try to post a lot of pictures of the house as it is, then ones of it after we do some things.

Have a peaceful night all, love and hugs as always.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 1st October 2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Oh, lordy. Sign me up for the Lemming Train. OR, perhaps "Lemming Hay Wagon" is more apt....

Still smell of Mitsouko drydown, which is damned impressive for an EdT. Not sure what bedtime will bring, but I need to go get ready for GLEE!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Route Du The' by Barneys NY
    Gary

SotE is some vintage L'Air du Temps that I bought on ebay. I'm giving up on this one. The new stuff doesn't smell as good as the old days. And the vintage doesn't age well. This is the 2nd time I've tried the vintage, and both times it smells exactly the same: not bad, just overall faded, almost no top notes (didn't expect a whole lot there), and the base is faint. I think it's time to relegate L'Air du Temps to the past once and for all. The faint whiff I do get, though, is lovely. Just enough to tease.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 1st October 2009 at 01:17 AM.

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing JPG Classique EDP today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I had a Jones for Bond No. 9 Great Jones tonight. So I am wearing it.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I had a Jones for Bond No. 9 Great Jones tonight. So I am wearing it.

Pleasures
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

SotD today was Guerlain Sous le Vent, which went very well with the Hermes Gentaine Blanche that was lingering on my sweater sleeves. The week old GB on the sweater had better longevity, though, and it gave me a good laugh

SotE is Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir--chocolate and vanilla patchouli, sweet and edgy at the same time.

One spritz of Hypnotic Poison before bedtime.

Blog Entries

Day: Baraja by Acqua di Biella. Classic chypre-top fading to suede, fading to nothing. Kind of nice, kind of dull. The suede was the best part.

Evening: Shadow by J.A.R. Dill pickles leading to spicy green clove. More interesting than wearable.

I'm seriously considering dabbing some J.A.R. Golconda before bed, because it's the J.A.R. I actually like.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??