Code of Conduct

Default Velvet Rose - rose-splosion!

I've only tried two Sonoma Scent Studio fragrances, but I've been quite impressed by both. Wood Violet was a little dense and woody for my tastes, but very well made and intriguingly complex; Velvet Rose, while the simpler of the two, is the one I really picture myself owning.

There are many ways of interpreting rose. Often, the end result is quite removed from rose on the bush, whether it be the floral room-freshener quality of bad interpretations, to perfumers who take rose as a starting point for an abstract creation. In the latter category are many fragrances I love, but of those that aim to replicate the living thing, only Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose has really hit the mark for me. And now, add to that Velvet Rose.

I find it interesting to compare these two, as both are unquestionably hyper-realistic rose fragrances to my nose, yet the two are very different. Sa Majeste is the whole plant in bloom, greenly dewy in the garden. It's a caressing fragrance, subtly apple-tinted and charming. Velvet Rose, on the other hand, forgoes all subtlety - it's a floral cymbal-crash, a tsunami of rose petals flooding the air with the ghosts of a million petals. It's amazing how the same flower manages to both create and inspire such disparate olfactory worlds. I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying new rose fragrances.

Velvet Rose is very simple, but lovely none the less. There are other notes, I don't doubt, but until the very farthest base when the rose departs and leaves a musky patchouli base, this is ALL about the rose to my nose. I'm not a big fan of patchouli, and if you aren't either, don't worry - it's just barely there. This is most certainly not Voleur de Roses.

One thing I have noticed about this fragrance is that, perhaps in part due to its strength, its sillage smells much better than it smells sniffed close to the skin. The sillage is rounded and voluptuous, but there is something slightly harsh about its smell close up.

I'm now eager to try more from this house. Its perfumer seems to like bold statements, and pulls them off well.

Default Re: Velvet Rose - rose-splosion!

I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying new rose fragrances.
    Me neither! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm on somewhat of a rose bender lately myself. I'm not a fan of Voleur de Rose either, not being a huge patchouli fan. I had sampled a couple of SSS scents, but it was some years ago now, and I can't remember what they were. I do recall being impressed with the quality, though. Velvet Rose sounds interesting.

Sonoma Scent Studio is a GREAT house. In additon to Velvet Rose they make another rose titles Vintage Rose. The Vintage Rose is available in oil/parfum and it's amazingly smooth. If you're sampling SSS scents also try: Tabac Aurea (tobacco/leather/labdanum), Champagne de Bois, Sienna Musk, and Fireside Intense. There are other I like as well but those are my favorites.

If you like Velvet Rose, you might also like Miller & Bertaux Shanti Shanti, which is quite full on too, in the same stylised, musky kind of way.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Velvet Rose was my first SSS fragrance as I am a huge rose lover and like roses really bold and beautiful. Velvet Rose smells like an old, antique rose bush that has a clear, lush, dewy, gorgeous bouquet that you can smell wafting across a yard. It is very well done for a rose soliflore without getting sweet or artificial smelling, and I don't smell any patchouli at all - it is really a supporting base and barely discernable except for those who are particularly sensitive to it. I wore it for my garden wedding in June and it was perfect! I also get a lot of compliments when I wear it, and agree with Galamb_Borong that the sillage is very lovely, and it is nothing like VdR, Stella, Bryant Park, Lady Vengeance, etc, that are more rose-patch-amber orientals than soliflores.

SSS is a great house, and the Rose Musc is another gorgeous rose and my favorite of Laurie's fragrances. It has a lush wet rose that is paired with a dry, warm, rich, glorious labdanum that is to die for. It lasts for many hours and the labdanum will still cling to the skin after many many hours. I also find that Velvet Rose and Rose Musc layer beautifully for something really special, rich, and softly woody.

The Vintage Rose is a close rival for anyone who is scared off by the price tag of Amouge Lyric for Women- It is a beautiful, richly done rose, incense, and woods fragrance.

Laurie Erickson has a real talent for rose fragrances, and even her Cameo is a beautiful dazzling rose for those who like musk bases.

But there are so many SSS to love! After Rose Musc and Velvet Rose, her Tabac Aurea is my absolute favorite. It is a spectacularly well done fragrance. It is the perfect time of year for those of us with fall weather to sample her amazing fragrances - SSS has really beautiful woods and incense fragrances too.

Basenotes Institution

Wood Violet- sounds so inviting ! I did want to try this one - I will put it on my 'To Test Out " list. Thanks Galamb !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Wood Violet- sounds so inviting ! I did want to try this one - I will put it on my 'To Test Out " list. Thanks Galamb !
    Considering how much I like the rose, I can't wait till her Gardenia comes out.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Yes I have seen that one on her site for sometime now...... will be interesting when it's released.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Galamb, I'm not surprised that you fell for Velvet Rose. You know, I think I agree with you about it being at its prettiest from a bit of a distance. It's powerful!

I also like her Rose Musc very very much. As Ann describes, the labdanum note is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    If you like Velvet Rose, you might also like Miller & Bertaux Shanti Shanti, which is quite full on too, in the same stylised, musky kind of way.
    That is true! I found them very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Same here! Seems like she's been working on that one for a while now.
    Last edited by Haunani; 1st October 2009 at 05:25 AM.