Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct 3, 2009 ★★★ AMBER

Agent Provocateur Strip!

APS is all about amber! The smell of APS is much classier than the wearers' place of employment. If an actual stripper were wearing this full bodied frag, she would be the sexy head-turner with the largest following of customers, but, working in a trashy low class building...probably constructed of cement block and furnished with cheesy vinyl covered banquet chairs in serious need of repair! I guess the image Strip creates for me is one of juxtaposition - sort of SEXY / SLUTTY. The fragrance is a little bit boozy (not sure what that is as far as notes go) but also dusty/musty from iris. I adore the effect of combining iris with amber, it's very appealing. Cool yet cozy! Assorted notes of woods and musk give this elixir a nice solid (slightly animalic) base. My own confession is this: since I snagged this one from Ruggles at the marketplace, I've been wearing it to bed almost everynight! It makes me feel like a comfy little tarte ~ and I'm almost ready for a repurchase! Ta ta for now...

* I should mention that my initial interest in this fragrance was sparked by Mike Perez & SMM during a 3x3 blind sniff ~ their 'story' about a good girl in a bad situation really hit the target ~ thanks you guys!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd October 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Meetcha at Cafe du Monde!
    I'm ready, sister!
    Currently wearing: Youth Dew by Este Lauder

Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit -- I think this one is such a wonderful, different sort of amber. It has that incredible warmth I associate with the ambers I have tried, but it is not as sweet, or at least not sweet in the same way. Mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    ...A troika commandeered by a fiercely handsome cossack (sorry, my Russian friends...this is just fantasy) speeding over the icy tundra (maybe pursued by wolves) ...me snuggled in sables. I know it's all TERRIBLY PI (politically Incorrect) but MAN is it worth it!
    Go Taolady! I love your Ambre Russe fantasy!

Quarry, thank you for posting all that great information! That BNgo game was really fun. I see that we're missing an entry for (21) Ambery-Aromatic. I think that Ambre Sultan would fit perfectly here. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    ...I read from a few blogs that Voile D'Ambre consists of mandarin leaf and cardamom, opoponax, incense and myrrh; base notes are patchouli, australian sandalwood and madagascar vanilla. I find this a fascinating scent because it has a glaring bright beginning but quickly kicks into the middle notes where I can smell the myrrh and vanilla. Good longevity!
    Coconut, I think Voile d'Ambre is a lovely fragrance. It's one amber that seems to work well in warmer weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit -- I think this one is such a wonderful, different sort of amber. It has that incredible warmth I associate with the ambers I have tried, but it is not as sweet, or at least not sweet in the same way. Mmmmm.
    Leesee, I'm glad you are a fan of L'Oiseau de Nuit, too. I love it - it's also one of the few "leather" fragrances that I can wear well. I guess we could call it a leathery amber?
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd October 2009 at 07:44 PM.

This is such a great category! I am starting the day with a replenishment of one of my favorite nighttime fragrances, Blue Amber. For me, it is truly the stuff of sweet dreams. Some think that Blue Amber is cloying. I find it stops *just* before that point. There are enough fresh elements to balance the sweetness, for my nose anyway. Here are the listed notes: Italian Bergamot, Bourbon Geranium, Coriander, Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, Vanilla.

More later. Going to a birthday party tonight, and I'm going to switch to a different one!

I'm wearing Prada No 3 Cuir Ambre today. Luxurious leather, dry amber and sandalwood, sprinkled with what I believe is carnations. It's similar to Tabac Blond, but feels more substantial somehow.

Amber is my favorite category. It goes without saying that I join Taolady in my favorite amber, Ambre Russe. But so many other loves, it can be so hard. I really need an amber month.

Blog Entries

Agent P Strip for me, too, straight from my sample B vial.

I remember thinking during the 3x3 that this did not smell sexy to me at all, that it maybe reminded the character of a different place and time. The imagery of the name initially conjures up maybe something that it is not intended to be. I think maybe a risque date with erotic foods eaten with fingers, suggestive dancing, and then back home.... I don't think this is supposed to be about exotic dancers. At any rate, I still don't get it, the connection between the name and the 'fume. It makes me feel cozy. It also makes me stoked that there is another amber out there that I can wear without my skin turning it all sharp and medicinal. I really like it.

On me it's warm, sweet, and really dry, the driest 'fume I've tried. Something funny, too-- I went out to breakfast with a girlfriend this morning and kept catching whiffs, and it smelled ridiculously good as I was eating! What's up with that? Like it was enjoyable for me to be eating and to smell it simultaneously.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 3rd October 2009 at 09:50 PM.
    The way out is a way in-- NEP

Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Ambra Nera

Notes: cypress, eucalyptus, amber, benzoin, vetiver, vanilla, patchouly (from luckyscent.com)

Ambra Nera starts with a combination of burnt sugar, smoke and vanilla. At first it seems as though AN will be a sweet, edible amber with lots of fluff and such. As it turns out, the caramel note is rather short lived, and what is revealed underneath is a delicate yet raunchy animalic, incensy amber. Indeed, I smell urinous notes, leather and the metallic tinge of smoky incense over a base of creamy, powdery vanilla, ample benzoin and a healthy, yet not overdone, dosage of labdanum. If there is patchouli in this fragrance, it is very well blended and barely recognizable as such. I was expecting AN to be close to some offering from Profumum, as the two houses seem to have parallel fragrance lines. In actuality, Ambra Nera smells more like Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve, especially in the middle and late stages. I happen to prefer L'Ombre Fauve by quite a bit, however, Ambra Nera is an interesting amber, especially for those who might like something funky. Its tendency is a bit toward the sweet side, which may make it seem a bit feminine, despite the raging animalics at the start of the development. Longevity is good--time to the deep drydown is approximately five hours. Sillage is moderate, especially toward the end.

Profumum Ambra Aurea

Notes: grey amber absolute (from luckyscent.com)

I'm pretty sure that grey amber is not the only ingredient in Ambra Aurea. I smell an absolutely huge balsamic and leathery labdanum note that follows the fragrance from beginning to end. In fact, AA is a deep amber color which could stain if sprayed on clothing, and I suspect the color comes mostly from its high labdanum content. Along with the labdanum, I smell vanilla, woods and incense, the latter being quite metallic and smoky. Ambra Aurea is extremely rich and warm, with excellent longevity and sillage. The incense and woods give the fragrance a bit of a head shop vibe, indeed, AA reminds me of a type of premium amber incense I used to burn long ago. Despite this association, Ambra Aurea seems so incredibly luxurious with what I can only assume are high quality ingredients. The balsamic notes are well balanced with some restrained sweetness from the vanilla, and the woody, smoky notes add a smidgeon of bitterness and piquancy. Perhaps the fact that the ingredients speak for themselves is the reason why any association with hippie ambers can be forgiven. Ambra Aurea satisfies in the way that feasting on a fine meal eases hunger--it feeds both the body and the soul.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th October 2009 at 12:30 AM.

A bleu <3 is a happy <3

I love Amber Sniff n Speak! It's probably my favorite one. I reached for Blue Amber today.

I first tried Blue Amber back in August of 2006. Shycat sent me a sample because she thought I would like the name. I did. I've been through several decants but never bought a full bottle, although I did try that time that a Swiss website was closing out of all Montales. (But that's another story!) I've sort of slowed down on wearing it because my latest decant is getting dangerously low, but it remains one of my favorite ambers EVER.

On my skin, Blue Amber lives up to its name ... I can feel the blueness. I can't quite put my finger on what causes this, is it a hint of aquatic? a bit of something chemical or medicinal? In any case, there is a freshness or a blue quality that most ambers do not have. I don't find it too sweet at all.

I love my ambers so much and I've added a few to the must-try list (Prada Cuir Ambre, I'm talking to you!)
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Sorry I'm late..busy day but I didn't forget....L'Artisan L'Eau d'Ambre was my choice. Enjoyed it...not sure I would own it but I was impressed with the longevity.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    * I should mention that my initial interest in this fragrance was sparked by Mike Perez & SMM during a 3x3 blind sniff ~ their 'story' about a good girl in a bad situation really hit the target ~ thanks you guys!
    Glad I could help - isn't Strip just wonderful? Probably the sexiest amber I've smelled.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hope everyone had a wonderful Sniff'n'Speak! I will for sure be participating next month!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post

Leesee, I'm glad you are a fan of L'Oiseau de Nuit, too. I love it - it's also one of the few "leather" fragrances that I can wear well. I guess we could call it a leathery amber?
    I hadn't noticed much in the way of leather, but now that you mention it, I can definitely detect the leather. And it is a soft, buttery, ambery leather! So gorgeous.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    That BNgo game was really fun. I see that we're missing an entry for (21) Ambery-Aromatic. I think that Ambre Sultan would fit perfectly here. What do you all think?
    I think anything you think is a good idea. Answer sheet amended.

There were a few other blanks left:
    (69) Aromatic-Fruity
    (72) Aromatic-Oriental
    (125) Fresh-Vanilla

Blog Entries

I needed just a touch of amber in a fall scent - and it needed to be subdued enough for shoulder-to-shoulder seating - so I went with a light application of Miller-Harris Feuilles de Tabac. Worked out perfectly!
    Currently wearing: Pi Neo by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I hadn't noticed much in the way of leather, but now that you mention it, I can definitely detect the leather. And it is a soft, buttery, ambery leather! So gorgeous.
    It's a very subtle leather, I think. And yes -- soft and buttery and ambery! I'm learning that I can only wear leather when it's not a main note, and when it's well-behaved. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I think anything you think is a good idea.
    Well, aren't you a doll! I'm gonna put you on speed dial.

We just got home from a family birthday party. As I'd planned, I wore Martine Micallef's Note Ambre, from my sample. I am absolutely SMITTEN! It is the most beautifully blended, pillow-soft concoction of florals and amber -- very sexy in a wholesome, cuddly way. Listed notes (from the Luckyscent site): Bergamot, Fennel Leaves, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Amber, and Iris.

I was interested by the two ambers I tried yesterday as they seemed to be very unisex and fresh. The Molinard was absolutely straight-up: fresh and clean and linear. Perfectly serviceable but not inspiring.
    The MPG was more aromatic and had a definite vibe of Ambre Sultan about it, but was quieter. Both could be worn very well by men or women and I could picture the Molinard being good for layering.

Later in the day, the Molinard disappeared completely after a few hours, while the MPG curled up and stayed around all day and evening, becoming a rich and delicious vanilla. If a guy wore this he would be in danger of being seriously nuzzled. Very good. This sample is going in my travel bag.

Once the Molinard had worn off, I joined Shades and replaced it with Montale's Blue Amber. When I first tried this a few years back it smelt 'butch' to me, so I was interested to see how my perceptions had changed. Now I read it as a classic aromatic and fresh amber. I appreciated its beauty and light touch. Very wearable and again, unisex.

Sadly, I didn't lay my hands on my sample of Ambre Russe, but I'll find it later in the week, I'm sure. But this evening I happened upon my Ambre Narguile, with which my story is very similar to Quarry's: I thought this might be a Grail, but I've gone off it. I was taken back to my heady days of first acquaintance when I applied it and oh I loved it all over again. The richness, the tobacco, the spices... and amber that is the antithesis of the previous 3. But now I've been wearing it for a few hours, it's cloying and it catches in my throat. What a shame.

I must say, I'm very interested in the Prade Cuir Ambre and the Armani Ambre Soie. Both sound very interesting.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 4th October 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

I'm not up on the ambers, but sprayed a bit of Agent Provocateur Maitresse, I THINK it has some amber in there somewhere. I shall look it up