Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct 3, 2009 ★★★ AMBER

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Oriental Feb. 2007~Animalic March 2007~Chypre April 2007~ Floral May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Oriental Feb. 2008~Animalic March 2008~Chypre April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand Jan. 2009 ~ Oriental Feb. 2009 ~ Animalic March 2009 ~ Chypre April 2009 ~ Floral May 2009 ~ Fruity June 2009 ~ Citrus July 2009 ~ Greens Aug. 2009 ~ Fresh Sept. 2009 ~ Opposite Gender

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct 3, 2009 ★★★ AMBER

Ooh, I am on an amber rampage right now with the season change. I think I will wear my new-found love, Note Ambre by Martine Micallef. I just have a sample, but my birthday is coming up and my husband simply doesn't know what to get me!

Oooo, one of my most-favorite-ests! Yummy yummy, can't wait...

Mmmm, me too! Last year I think I tried 3 or 4 ambers on SnS--what a blast!

AMBRE RUSSE here I come.....(don't fret little Voile d'Ambre...you'll have your chance.....:bounce::bounce::bounce:....)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Since I've been going through my SL scents lately I'll wear Ambre Sultan...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

I'm in! I think I'll wear Anne Pliska - it's been a while.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Oooooh, so many ambers, so little skin!!!
    Nom nom.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

Yipee! But how to choose the one to wear???

Fun! Good time for ambers with the cold weather. Some of my options I'm considering:

Prada No.3 Cuir Ambre
    Guerlain Oriental Brulent
    Montale White Aoud
    Le Labo Labdanum 18
    Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir or Ambre Nepal
    Ava Luxe Loves True Bluish Light
    PG L'Oiseau de Nuit

Gee...I've got more to choose from then I thought (many of the above are samples/decants).

I'm not much of a solo-amber fan. I have a few things in mind, though.

This sounds awesome! No idea what I'll where yet but that's the fun of it...

Oh goodie..I'm planning a fragrance field trip that day too! I can try something new.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    This sounds awesome! No idea what I'll where yet but that's the fun of it...
    I love your quote from Mother Teresa. I meant to tell you this before when I noticed it. She was/is one of my favorite people on earth.

Basenotes Institution

Oh goodie - I will wear my brand new decant of Amber Absolute by Tom Ford, and burn my amber scented Annick Goutal candle.

If you can believe it, I went through my bottle of Ambre Sultan by SL - and haven't replaced it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I think I will wear Ambre Narguille tomorrow.

I love me a bit of amber. It's 1.30 am (so technically Saturday) in UK and I'm finishing/starting the day with the ambery 31 Rue Cambon drydown. A gorgeous, sophisticated, very Chanel take on amber goodness.

Come morning it will be a choice between Hermes Ambre Narguile and SL Ambre Sultan. If I'm feeling indecisive then I could do what I occasionally do and layer the two together for a complete amber knock-out. Did I mention that I like amber?

Nom nom nom, Amberama!
    We all smell sooooo good!
    I've got Molinard's Amber on my left wrist (fresh! very unisex) and MPG Ambre Precieux on my right wrist (ooh, faintly medicinal - very interesting). Many thanks to the kind person who sent me the MPG and my apologies for not remembering which of my kind friends it was.

As ever, I am learning vis SnS. This time it's that Amber can be fresh and herball/medicinal. And there was I thinking it was smoooooooth and mellow (YR Voile d'Ambre stylee). Or rich like the delicious PdE Ambre Russe. But suddently Ambre Sultan makes more sense as a 'classical' amber.

Later today I anticipate a little of that Amber Sultan goodness or maybe some Ambre Narguile. That's if I want to dream of sweets all night. And I'm reserving my cleavage until I can find my little vial of bliss called Ambre Russe. I'm such a greedy gal.
    More later.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I hadn't worn this since March and have been looking forward to Sniff'n'Speak day:

Ambre Sultan
    by Serge Lutens

Top notes: Oregano, Bay leaf, Coriander, Myrtle,
    Middle notes: Angelica, Patchouli
    Base notes: Labdanum, Styrax, Tolu balsam, Benzoin, Sandalwood
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hermessence Ambre Narguile Hermes

This is the ideal SOTE for an intimate dinner!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I'm so boring. I'll hunt and hunt within a fragrance category, be knocked out, swoop down and nestle in forEVER. (Well, in this case, for three years) That's what happened with today's SnS amber...the DIVINE...

It's got a fizzy boozy opening and some serious spices together with smoky tea and then settles into the most glorious leathered amber you can imagine that lasts and lasts. The ne plus ultra. (For me.)

A troika commandeered by a fiercely handsome cossack (sorry, my Russian friends...this is just fantasy) speeding over the icy tundra (maybe pursued by wolves) ...me snuggled in sables. I know it's all TERRIBLY PI (politically Incorrect) but MAN is it worth it!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I love your quote from Mother Teresa. I meant to tell you this before when I noticed it. She was/is one of my favorite people on earth.
    Thanks! It's a great quote from an even greater person. My older sister actually was going to have the opportunity to go to see her speak in Toronto back in the early 90s at the Skydome for one of those world peace type days, but unfortunately (but fortunately for others) she didn't show up as she was too busy with her work back in India.

Now back to the topic - I was going to participate in this but I forgot and already applied my scent of the day! NOOooooo!

Basenotes Plus

I am wearing Ann Pliska today. Amber-centric, to be sure, but a shifting interplay of chilly and warm facets results in a more complex and interesting interpretation. Delicious.

Notes: bergamot, amber, orange, vanilla, musk, geranium, patchouli
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hey there, Jathanas, I'm wearing Ambre Narguile on one wrist, Sweet Amber Wood on the other.

ABOUT AMBRE NARGUILE
    I once thought this could be my holy grail, and I wore it quite a bit. I even layered it with three other frags successfully--DK Black Cashmere, JM Black Vetyver Cafe, and Guerlain With Love. I didn't understand what others were saying in their reviews: good scent, but too much apple pie. Then something happened, I began getting apple pie, and AN fell from grace. Revisiting it today, I'm reminded of its great character, but still getting a little too much sliced, baked apple to want to wear it again soon.

ABOUT AVA LUXE SWEET AMBER WOOD
    I thought this scent might be a substitute to the too-fruity AN, but it begins to smell stale (I think it's the sandalwood) by the heart notes, so it doesn't out-rank AN.

DID SOME READING ...
    Was perusing reviews here, at MUA and in The Guide, trying to see if there's an amber I haven't tried which might hold promise. Noticed what Luca Turin said of Armani Priv Ambre Soie (given four stars) by Christine Nagel, who composed Theorema: "Nagel is probably the best in the world at this sort of fragrance, and when Theorema was discontinued she did the right thing: She reincarnated that beautiful structure as Ambre Soie, one of the best ambers around, rich but not overly opaque, lush but not too sweet, and with strange anisic notes that keep it interesting ..."

I mention this for two reasons: (1) readers of this thread may find it interesting, (2) Christine Nagel composed Guerlain's limited edition With Love, whose drydown releases my favorite amber to date. The list: pink pepper, quince, wild rose, mandarin flower, wild lily, freesia, blond amber and sandalwood.

I haven't been able to satisfy my curiosity about what qualifies an amber as being "blond" or "white." As best as I can understand, it's just the lightest-colored of ambers, probably blended in some proprietary way. For the record, I found nothing ambery or attractive about the Gap's White Amber fragrance.

Another rose-amber winner at our house is Stella Rose Absolute. (Winks at Ubu ) My dear husband likes the rosey top notes, I struggle with rose in general and try to ignore the top notes in anticipation of the rich amber base that rocks my sensibilities.

From Jan Moran’s book Fabulous Fragrances, I offer her lists (which I find a little hard to defend, but ...) --
    Floral-Ambery: Apres L’Ondee, Balahe, Blue Grass, C’est La Vie, Caesars Woman, DNA, L’Heure Bleue, Mlle Ricci, Moment Supreme, Oscar de la Renta, Panthere, Poison, Spellbound, Tiffany.

Oriental-Ambery: Anne Klein II, Chantilly, Ciara, Dionne, Divine Folie, Guess?, Habanita, Must de Cartier, Normandie, Obsession, Roma, Ungaro.

From her lists, Roma stands out to me as a good amber qualifier.

Some of you may remember The Good-Times, No-Wrong-Answers, 153-Frag BNgo Game, wherein we attempted to name at least one frag for each cross-over category.

The answers in the amber bi-category sections were:
    (2) Aldehydic-Amber: Shocking
    (18) Ambery-Amber: Ambre Extreme, becker eshaya Golden Amber
    (19) Ambery-Animalic: JPG Classique
    (20) Ambery-Aquatic: Dune
    (21) Ambery-Aromatic:
    (22) Ambery-Chypre: Patou Mille, Sheherazade, Miss Dior, Deseo
    (23) Ambery-Citrus: Anne Pliska
    (24) Ambery-Floral: Stella Rose Absolute
    (25) Ambery-Fougere: Prada for Men
    (26) Ambery-Fresh: Prada Amber Pour Homme
    (27) Ambery-Fruity: Delices Eau Fruitee
    (28) Ambery-Gourmand: Ambre Narguile, BPAL Coyote
    (29) Ambery-Green: EL Private Collection
    (30) Ambery-Oriental: Ambre Russe
    (31) Ambery-Spicy: Profumum Ambre Aurea
    (32) Ambery-Woody: Givenchy Pi
    (33) Ambery-Vanilla: Must de Cartier
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd October 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Oooh.....I've had love affairs with all the ambers, most recently several Ava Luxe Ambers (I love Amber Essence) ,Ambre 114 (Histories de Parfums) and Ambre prcieux (MPG)...but I keep coming back to Ambre sultan.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 3rd October 2009 at 04:17 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Thanks, Quarry, for your thoughtful post this morning. I enjoyed reading it, and it's got me thinking about ambers...all the different types of amber fragrances. I usually find Amber (captial "A") fragrances a bit too much for me, although I like many ambery fragrances. So I'm not sure which ambers those would be. There are a lot of different ambers, I've been reading, mostly synthetics, and natural amber (or ambergris) which is rare and costly, ambrette (seed, is it?) which I assume is a natural thing that amber as a perfume ingredient is derived from. So confusing! Profumo.it's Ambergris was interesting to me, as it did truly have that briny sea odor and a subtle sweetness buried deep inside. I think that one is as close to the real thing as I've ever smelled. My issue with Amber fragrances is that I have to choke my way through at least the first quarter hour, often longer, until they get skin-scenty and delicious. Wish I could just cut straight to the good part!

This morning, I'm wearing Bourbon French Parfums' Kus Kus in eau de cologne strength (which is plenty strong!). It's an old fashioned, sweet, subtly spicy, powdery amber that smells very nice once it settles down. I found some interesting info about it online, an excerpt from A Guide to the Historic Shops & Restaurants of New Orleans:

In 1843, perfumer August Doussan arrived from Paris and established Bourbon French Parfums. He brought along his signature fragrance, “Kus Kus”—a spicy, tropical aroma that became an immediate favorite among the Creole ladies. When it came time to retire, Doussan left New Orleans to live out his years in the Caribbean. Travelers who later sailed to Haiti and Jamaica were surprised to catch the scent of Doussan’s Kus Kus among local women, evidence that Doussan had continued perfuming well into old age.
    If you visit Bourbon French Perfumery or look at their website, they don't list ingredients or fragrance notes. This one is just described as a soft, powdery, spicy scent. Which it is. This fragrance really does have me longing to revisit New Orleans today. It's one of my favorite cities.

This evening, we're going to a fundraiser Fish Fry at our church (raising money for new AV equipment), and I may wear Shalimar to that, since the citrus will go well with fish!

Enjoy the day, all.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd October 2009 at 02:43 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

skin-scenty
    + +

... surprised to catch the scent of Doussans Kus Kus among local women, evidence that Doussan had continued perfuming well into old age.
    Trs cool story, ma belle ami.

This fragrance really does have me longing to revisit New Orleans today.
    Meetcha at Cafe du Monde!

Thanks to Twolf who has kindly introduced Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher to me. Yves Rocher used to have retail shops in Hong Kong, however they were all closed a few years ago and I totally regret not visiting the stores or tried any of their products in those days.
    I read from a few blogs that Voile D'Ambre consists of mandarin leaf and cardamom, opoponax, incense and myrrh; base notes are patchouli, australian sandalwood and madagascar vanilla. I find this a fascinating scent because it has a glaring bright beginning but quickly kicks into the middle notes where I can smell the myrrh and vanilla. Good longevity!

I usually find Amber (captial "A") fragrances a bit too much for me, although I like many ambery fragrances....

My issue with Amber fragrances is that I have to choke my way through at least the first quarter hour, often longer, until they get skin-scenty and delicious. Wish I could just cut straight to the good part!
    This is my experience with ambers, too. Straight ambers are tricky (as evidenced by the bottle of L'Artisan Ambre Extrme that I bought from and sold to ubu in the span of a few months).

I picked up Gaultier (amber, musk, vanilla) today but realized it's what I chose for last year's amber thread. My beloved Ambre Narguil would be too easy of a choice so I'm going to look around for something different.
    Last edited by tang; 3rd October 2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

After much deliberation I went with:

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve (of which a TPC decant fortuitously arrived earlier in the week).
    notes: Amber, musk, woods, patchouli

The only types of ambers I don't really enjoy are those they get overly sticky-sweet (i.e. Montale Blue Amber). The nice thing about L'Ombre Fauve is that the patchouli and woody notes balance the sweetness of the amber just right for my tastes. It happens to be pouring and very chilly in the NYC area today so a nice warm amber is just perfect.

I'm also sampling a couple ambers, one familiar and one new:

Guerlain Oriental Brulent: I agree with Burr this is the best of the Les Elixirs Charnels. It's a fairly straightforward amber with a hint of incense and vanilla. Long lasting with great sillage... I only problem is that I want to wear it all the time and damn those bottles are pricey.

Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir: I wish I could say I enjoy it but it's simultaneously too sweet and it has a somewhat plastic-y, synthetic note in it that I'm not enjoying. I'll give it some time but I may wash off in exchange for a better amber.
    Last edited by heynow; 3rd October 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Agent Provocateur Strip!

APS is all about amber! The smell of APS is much classier than the wearers' place of employment. If an actual stripper were wearing this full bodied frag, she would be the sexy head-turner with the largest following of customers, but, working in a trashy low class building...probably constructed of cement block and furnished with cheesy vinyl covered banquet chairs in serious need of repair! I guess the image Strip creates for me is one of juxtaposition - sort of SEXY / SLUTTY. The fragrance is a little bit boozy (not sure what that is as far as notes go) but also dusty/musty from iris. I adore the effect of combining iris with amber, it's very appealing. Cool yet cozy! Assorted notes of woods and musk give this elixir a nice solid (slightly animalic) base. My own confession is this: since I snagged this one from Ruggles at the marketplace, I've been wearing it to bed almost everynight! It makes me feel like a comfy little tarte ~ and I'm almost ready for a repurchase! Ta ta for now...

* I should mention that my initial interest in this fragrance was sparked by Mike Perez & SMM during a 3x3 blind sniff ~ their 'story' about a good girl in a bad situation really hit the target ~ thanks you guys!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd October 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Meetcha at Cafe du Monde!
    I'm ready, sister!

Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit -- I think this one is such a wonderful, different sort of amber. It has that incredible warmth I associate with the ambers I have tried, but it is not as sweet, or at least not sweet in the same way. Mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    ...A troika commandeered by a fiercely handsome cossack (sorry, my Russian friends...this is just fantasy) speeding over the icy tundra (maybe pursued by wolves) ...me snuggled in sables. I know it's all TERRIBLY PI (politically Incorrect) but MAN is it worth it!
    Go Taolady! I love your Ambre Russe fantasy!

Quarry, thank you for posting all that great information! That BNgo game was really fun. I see that we're missing an entry for (21) Ambery-Aromatic. I think that Ambre Sultan would fit perfectly here. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    ...I read from a few blogs that Voile D'Ambre consists of mandarin leaf and cardamom, opoponax, incense and myrrh; base notes are patchouli, australian sandalwood and madagascar vanilla. I find this a fascinating scent because it has a glaring bright beginning but quickly kicks into the middle notes where I can smell the myrrh and vanilla. Good longevity!
    Coconut, I think Voile d'Ambre is a lovely fragrance. It's one amber that seems to work well in warmer weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit -- I think this one is such a wonderful, different sort of amber. It has that incredible warmth I associate with the ambers I have tried, but it is not as sweet, or at least not sweet in the same way. Mmmmm.
    Leesee, I'm glad you are a fan of L'Oiseau de Nuit, too. I love it - it's also one of the few "leather" fragrances that I can wear well. I guess we could call it a leathery amber?
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd October 2009 at 06:44 PM.

This is such a great category! I am starting the day with a replenishment of one of my favorite nighttime fragrances, Blue Amber. For me, it is truly the stuff of sweet dreams. Some think that Blue Amber is cloying. I find it stops *just* before that point. There are enough fresh elements to balance the sweetness, for my nose anyway. Here are the listed notes: Italian Bergamot, Bourbon Geranium, Coriander, Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, Vanilla.

More later. Going to a birthday party tonight, and I'm going to switch to a different one!

I'm wearing Prada No 3 Cuir Ambre today. Luxurious leather, dry amber and sandalwood, sprinkled with what I believe is carnations. It's similar to Tabac Blond, but feels more substantial somehow.

Amber is my favorite category. It goes without saying that I join Taolady in my favorite amber, Ambre Russe. But so many other loves, it can be so hard. I really need an amber month.

Agent P Strip for me, too, straight from my sample B vial.

I remember thinking during the 3x3 that this did not smell sexy to me at all, that it maybe reminded the character of a different place and time. The imagery of the name initially conjures up maybe something that it is not intended to be. I think maybe a risque date with erotic foods eaten with fingers, suggestive dancing, and then back home.... I don't think this is supposed to be about exotic dancers. At any rate, I still don't get it, the connection between the name and the 'fume. It makes me feel cozy. It also makes me stoked that there is another amber out there that I can wear without my skin turning it all sharp and medicinal. I really like it.

On me it's warm, sweet, and really dry, the driest 'fume I've tried. Something funny, too-- I went out to breakfast with a girlfriend this morning and kept catching whiffs, and it smelled ridiculously good as I was eating! What's up with that? Like it was enjoyable for me to be eating and to smell it simultaneously.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 3rd October 2009 at 08:50 PM.

Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Ambra Nera

Notes: cypress, eucalyptus, amber, benzoin, vetiver, vanilla, patchouly (from luckyscent.com)

Ambra Nera starts with a combination of burnt sugar, smoke and vanilla. At first it seems as though AN will be a sweet, edible amber with lots of fluff and such. As it turns out, the caramel note is rather short lived, and what is revealed underneath is a delicate yet raunchy animalic, incensy amber. Indeed, I smell urinous notes, leather and the metallic tinge of smoky incense over a base of creamy, powdery vanilla, ample benzoin and a healthy, yet not overdone, dosage of labdanum. If there is patchouli in this fragrance, it is very well blended and barely recognizable as such. I was expecting AN to be close to some offering from Profumum, as the two houses seem to have parallel fragrance lines. In actuality, Ambra Nera smells more like Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve, especially in the middle and late stages. I happen to prefer L'Ombre Fauve by quite a bit, however, Ambra Nera is an interesting amber, especially for those who might like something funky. Its tendency is a bit toward the sweet side, which may make it seem a bit feminine, despite the raging animalics at the start of the development. Longevity is good--time to the deep drydown is approximately five hours. Sillage is moderate, especially toward the end.

Profumum Ambra Aurea

Notes: grey amber absolute (from luckyscent.com)

I'm pretty sure that grey amber is not the only ingredient in Ambra Aurea. I smell an absolutely huge balsamic and leathery labdanum note that follows the fragrance from beginning to end. In fact, AA is a deep amber color which could stain if sprayed on clothing, and I suspect the color comes mostly from its high labdanum content. Along with the labdanum, I smell vanilla, woods and incense, the latter being quite metallic and smoky. Ambra Aurea is extremely rich and warm, with excellent longevity and sillage. The incense and woods give the fragrance a bit of a head shop vibe, indeed, AA reminds me of a type of premium amber incense I used to burn long ago. Despite this association, Ambra Aurea seems so incredibly luxurious with what I can only assume are high quality ingredients. The balsamic notes are well balanced with some restrained sweetness from the vanilla, and the woody, smoky notes add a smidgeon of bitterness and piquancy. Perhaps the fact that the ingredients speak for themselves is the reason why any association with hippie ambers can be forgiven. Ambra Aurea satisfies in the way that feasting on a fine meal eases hunger--it feeds both the body and the soul.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd October 2009 at 11:30 PM.

summer means fireflys

I love Amber Sniff n Speak! It's probably my favorite one. I reached for Blue Amber today.

I first tried Blue Amber back in August of 2006. Shycat sent me a sample because she thought I would like the name. I did. I've been through several decants but never bought a full bottle, although I did try that time that a Swiss website was closing out of all Montales. (But that's another story!) I've sort of slowed down on wearing it because my latest decant is getting dangerously low, but it remains one of my favorite ambers EVER.

On my skin, Blue Amber lives up to its name ... I can feel the blueness. I can't quite put my finger on what causes this, is it a hint of aquatic? a bit of something chemical or medicinal? In any case, there is a freshness or a blue quality that most ambers do not have. I don't find it too sweet at all.

I love my ambers so much and I've added a few to the must-try list (Prada Cuir Ambre, I'm talking to you!)
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Sorry I'm late..busy day but I didn't forget....L'Artisan L'Eau d'Ambre was my choice. Enjoyed it...not sure I would own it but I was impressed with the longevity.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    * I should mention that my initial interest in this fragrance was sparked by Mike Perez & SMM during a 3x3 blind sniff ~ their 'story' about a good girl in a bad situation really hit the target ~ thanks you guys!
    Glad I could help - isn't Strip just wonderful? Probably the sexiest amber I've smelled.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hope everyone had a wonderful Sniff'n'Speak! I will for sure be participating next month!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post

Leesee, I'm glad you are a fan of L'Oiseau de Nuit, too. I love it - it's also one of the few "leather" fragrances that I can wear well. I guess we could call it a leathery amber?
    I hadn't noticed much in the way of leather, but now that you mention it, I can definitely detect the leather. And it is a soft, buttery, ambery leather! So gorgeous.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    That BNgo game was really fun. I see that we're missing an entry for (21) Ambery-Aromatic. I think that Ambre Sultan would fit perfectly here. What do you all think?
    I think anything you think is a good idea. Answer sheet amended.

There were a few other blanks left:
    (69) Aromatic-Fruity
    (72) Aromatic-Oriental
    (125) Fresh-Vanilla

Blog Entries

I needed just a touch of amber in a fall scent - and it needed to be subdued enough for shoulder-to-shoulder seating - so I went with a light application of Miller-Harris Feuilles de Tabac. Worked out perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I hadn't noticed much in the way of leather, but now that you mention it, I can definitely detect the leather. And it is a soft, buttery, ambery leather! So gorgeous.
    It's a very subtle leather, I think. And yes -- soft and buttery and ambery! I'm learning that I can only wear leather when it's not a main note, and when it's well-behaved. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I think anything you think is a good idea.
    Well, aren't you a doll! I'm gonna put you on speed dial.

We just got home from a family birthday party. As I'd planned, I wore Martine Micallef's Note Ambre, from my sample. I am absolutely SMITTEN! It is the most beautifully blended, pillow-soft concoction of florals and amber -- very sexy in a wholesome, cuddly way. Listed notes (from the Luckyscent site): Bergamot, Fennel Leaves, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Amber, and Iris.

I was interested by the two ambers I tried yesterday as they seemed to be very unisex and fresh. The Molinard was absolutely straight-up: fresh and clean and linear. Perfectly serviceable but not inspiring.
    The MPG was more aromatic and had a definite vibe of Ambre Sultan about it, but was quieter. Both could be worn very well by men or women and I could picture the Molinard being good for layering.

Later in the day, the Molinard disappeared completely after a few hours, while the MPG curled up and stayed around all day and evening, becoming a rich and delicious vanilla. If a guy wore this he would be in danger of being seriously nuzzled. Very good. This sample is going in my travel bag.

Once the Molinard had worn off, I joined Shades and replaced it with Montale's Blue Amber. When I first tried this a few years back it smelt 'butch' to me, so I was interested to see how my perceptions had changed. Now I read it as a classic aromatic and fresh amber. I appreciated its beauty and light touch. Very wearable and again, unisex.

Sadly, I didn't lay my hands on my sample of Ambre Russe, but I'll find it later in the week, I'm sure. But this evening I happened upon my Ambre Narguile, with which my story is very similar to Quarry's: I thought this might be a Grail, but I've gone off it. I was taken back to my heady days of first acquaintance when I applied it and oh I loved it all over again. The richness, the tobacco, the spices... and amber that is the antithesis of the previous 3. But now I've been wearing it for a few hours, it's cloying and it catches in my throat. What a shame.

I must say, I'm very interested in the Prade Cuir Ambre and the Armani Ambre Soie. Both sound very interesting.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 4th October 2009 at 09:45 PM.

I'm not up on the ambers, but sprayed a bit of Agent Provocateur Maitresse, I THINK it has some amber in there somewhere. I shall look it up