Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deodorant

Default Re: Best Deodorant

Old spice Original all the way!

I use deo stick first then deo spray after that, then apply 2 sprays of my EDT du jour to each arm pit.

Favorite deodorant stick: Nivea neutral for Men
    Favorite deodorant spray: Sanex neutral for Men

These 2 can keep me dry and odor free for 12-14 hours no problem.......
    All the designer deodorants I've bought and tried have all done a mediocre to very poor job, so why buy the sh*t, when Nivea and Sanex does the job perfectly and you can just apply an EDT on top of the deodorant
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

The aluminium compound in deodorants is alum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_alum

You get it quite cheaply in pure form as crystal deo under different names, one block easily lasts one year and it serves perfectly both as a deodorant and an after shave. Besides its astringent and antiseptic properties it has one major advantage: It is odourless. No collision of scents, whatever I choose to wear.

Wouldn't the newer 48 hour Clinical Protection antiperspirant deodorants, like the Rexona Men one be the best deodorant?

No perspiration and bad smells for 2 days seems better than the more standard 12 hour and 24 hour ones.

Curiously, if one reads the packet, it says it works best if you apply the Clinical Protection when you go to bed the night before the day you want to use it. Which isn't much good for the wet shavers who follow the instructions on their packets that say to wet shave after a shower in the morning.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    The aluminium compound in deodorants is alum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_alum

You get it quite cheaply in pure form as crystal deo under different names, one block easily lasts one year and it serves perfectly both as a deodorant and an after shave. Besides its astringent and antiseptic properties it has one major advantage: It is odourless. No collision of scents, whatever I choose to wear.
    That Alum is the potassium aluminium sulphate compound found in most of the "natural" crystal deodorants that say they contain aluminium salts.

However, Aluminium chlorhydrate/chlorhydoxide is the synthetic one we've grown to love during the last 70 or so years since it was marketed. But Alum certainly works well, and is definitely unscented.

Also there are other crystal ones that are synthetic and contain ammonium (I think) instead of potassium. They work well too, but the word "natural" doesn't appear on the container.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th May 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Yes, I don't necessarily believe in the idea that "natural is good for you, synthetic is bad", but what I use is alum in the strict sense, i.e. the naturally occurring potassium alum, simply due to its availability. There are other compounds in the alum class http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum that may be used in deodorants, but I have no experience with them.

Deleted
    Last edited by Kyujin; 20th May 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Double post

I was packing for a 3 month trip across 3 continents with 1 carry on. When researching what to bring I ran across alum stones. they were superior in a week long test vs old spice, so I bought one. I still use them. A cavet, they do break if you drop them on the floor. An excellent product.
    If you have nothing to do, improve your posture.

I'm totally addicted to Lush Aromaco: it's based mainly on sodium bicarbonate- very effective- and smells wonderfully of patchouli, with all its facets- citrus, booze, camphor, wood. I love it!

Not sure if it's technically a womens deodorant. But I keep finding it in the wemons section. Anwyays, I want unscented obviously but also because I am allergic to the alluminum so anything that is like gel or spray just wreak havoc on my skin and never last the whole day anyways.

lol sorry its so big, didnt mean to do that

Default Re: What deodorant do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by djvix805 View Post
    This! Doesnt smell and lasts a very long time.
    agreed.

Default Re: Favorite Deodorants

Sticking to Ban unscented. Find it in the womens section. haha, nothing of value that is dry in the mens so what the heck right?

Quote Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post
    ...but also because I am allergic to the alluminum so anything that is like gel or spray just wreak havoc on my skin and never last the whole day anyways.
    Are you shure about the aluminium allergy? The active ingredient in ban is an aluminium compound http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumini...lorohydrex_gly

Old Spice solid.

Tom's of Maine unscented unless I have one that matches or comes close to matching the frag I'm wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    I sweat like a whore in church, regardless of the time of year. I recently started using Certain-Dri and it has proven to be wonderful at keeping even my out-of-control perspiration under control. I highly recommend it.
    Yep, there's no denying Certain Dri works to stop perspiration, but unfortunately I can't deal with how bad it burns me and itches and then causes an ugly rash to appear after about 30 minutes at night. I grin and bear it when I absolutely MUST be "pit stain free" the following day, but otherwise, I just deal with the fact that the grocery store run of the mill brands will fail me and I need to just stick to wearing dark shirts to try to mask the dreaded lake in my underarms.

Regards,
    Jeff

I alternate between Tom's of Maine (whatever scent) and the crystal. I find that if I use the crystal every day that the bacteria in my pits seem to adapt to the crystal and start gradually smelling worse. I find that if I alternate between Tom's of Main for one day or two and then the crystal for the next one or two it keeps odor at bay better than using the crystal every day. Obviously this is just one guy talking about what works for my body's chemestry, so YMMV.

The crystal is definitely the best deoderant value out there. I've been using it for almost 20 years now and I'm only on my third crystal! These things last FOREVER!!!!
    Last edited by Smells_Familiar; 24th June 2012 at 06:54 AM.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

I always used Gillette antiperspirants, but I recently switched over to Tom's of Maine deodorant to get away from the constant aluminum exposure. (That and I found that they stopped being effective.)

I liked the Calendula scent and how it reacted with my body chemistry, but its staying power was middling at best...

Most recently, I've started using Aubrey Organics Herbal Pine Deodorant.

It is the most effective deodorant I have ever used, and it probably features the safest ingredients list on the market.
    There are a few downsides, however: it is very expensive, and it is very strong smelling at the outset. It could definitely clash with any other fragrances on the individual if they were applied at the same time.

I feel that after it dries down, though, the strong scent recedes to the distant background.

LV roll-on antiperspirant (unscented). It's cheap and it works. Also been using Dove unscented antiperspirant sticks.

Whats weird that I cant find here is. When I was on vacation in Dubai in May. They have sprays that they say last 24hrs and some 48hrs?

Never heard of it... Maybe some local blend of essential oils? Or was it a mainstream commercial product?

I find if I spray more of the Aubrey stuff to ensure total "coverage" of the underams, I get crazy longevity. Perhaps not 24 hours long, but it is quite impressive for a natural deodorant...

(I used to use Old Spice back in the day myself - mostly just because I liked the scent. I didn't find any other notable benefits)

Blog Entries

A cheap anti-perspirant and deodorant roll-on that I've been using lately is DRY IDEA (unscented).

i just bought some dove extra fresh antiperspirant. excited to see how it works out. switching over from old spice.

I use whatever my wife has picked up when she's been shopping.

Currently it is something in a white roll-on, it has a blue cap if that helps?

This is a very close question. Only my ex know that.

Default What is your favorite deodorant scent?

Back before I could afford actual EDT fragrances I would collect different scents of deodorant since I was stupid and thought those scents would actually project. I liked various Old Spice scents but now I just use unscented deodorant so it doesn't interfere with my fragrances.

Default Re: What is your favorite deodorant scent?

I like the Chanel Pour Monsieur one. I usually use it whenever I wear a chypre, as it doesn't clash, IMO. It's great layered with the EdT as well, of course.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just wear regular old spice... but I might splurge on Eau Des Baux if L'Occitane has a sale sometime soon.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Old Spice Original Stick Formula --Office/Daly
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)--Bedroom/Date
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

My favorite deodorants are the ones with no scent at all. Unless the deodorant scent matches that of my fragrance, I use no scent deodorant.

Basenotes Junkie

I actually really like the original speed stick smell, but I try to avoid wearing scented deodorant.

Have always used Gillette Wild Rain gel, but recently switched to Mitchum unscented for the reason you stated.

Any unscented deodorant.

swagger, gillette, fiji, original old spice, and lst but not least right guard

Whatever is on sale, I try to keep it as basic as possible.

Irish Springs. Anything by old spice or Adidas.
    As long as it isn't Axe (unless it is Dark Temptations)

my favorite deodorant is a stick style that has a light woods scent of either patchouli or tea tree oil. Both patchouli and tea tree oil become part of whatever fragrance I am wearing by offering a subtle light elevating woods base to whatever other fragrance is used. I buy these at Whole Foods and are usually found in the natural supplements section.

any unscented antiperspirant at the cheapest price
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Verbena by L'Occitane - barely there

for swap/sale:

My favorite ones are no longer in production but they are : Insignia (80's formula, it's like Muglers Ice Men but way better) and Lynxx Oriental, Musk, Amber and Spice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I actually think Old Spice is great deodorant scent. The only reason I try not to wear it too much is because it is way too common.

My favourite deodorant spray is Chanel Antaeus. It could be used as such without EDT at all (like i sometimes do) and it projects the wonderful woody leather fragrance from underarms. Better yet, if used Antaeus also as shower gel before deodorant application. Antaeus Deo stick could work as well, haven't tried it.

If I apply EDT or aftershave I use either no scented deodorant(antiperspirant) or deodorant of the same brand.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Brut
    Axe Africa (aka Kilo)
    Higher Deo Spray

Now I use unscented deo mostly. Still got like 20 bottles of Axe Musk to go through

I don't wear doederant. Sweat is a reflection of what you put in your body. If you appreciate this and take care even sweltering days will not cause a problem, and the use of fragrance will ensure even the most delicate noses can detect nothing offensive (unless it's an offensive fragrance >.>)

Default Re: Deodorant

NATURE'S GATE, Fruit Blends Deodorant Stick Mandarin Orange & Patchouli - 1.7 Oz

http://shopping.yahoo.com/components...MYu?id=5858233
    Current favorites:

CH Men by Carolina Herrera
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Black Vines by Kerosene
    Piment Brulant by LArtisan

Basenotes Junkie

I've had a bad reaction to every antiperspirant I've tried. They usually make me sweat worse!

Lately, I've just been wiping my pits down with alcohol after I get out of the shower. Then I apply a mixture of baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, and tea tree oil. It kills all odors, lasts most of the day, and doesn't clash with my fragrances.

Axe Excite
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme