Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Chergui. Something for me?

I have never tried Chergui, but I like scents like L`Artisan Fou d`absinthe, Bois1920 Real Pathouly, 1920Extreme, Creed BDP, Must de Cartier, M7, Egoiste etc.. Do you think Chergui will fit my taste?
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 1st October 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: Serge Lutens Chergui. Something for me?

Do you like the smell of hay & tobacco?

I still own it, but this scent would sit better on the skin of a bohemian black lady than my white, suburban self. I am considering giving my bottle to my gay black friend, because it seemed much more befitting to his style than mine.

So all that being said, I can't seem to let go of my bottle of Chergui. I consider it to be among the most unique and well-blended niche scents I've ever smelled, and it seems like I'd be selling it short to get rid of it. I suppose I just don't ever feel like what I'm doing is exotic enough to justify wearing something so sweet, spicy, alluring, and "pretty".

I honestly don't know if I smell any resolute hay in there, but I'm not entirely familiar with that smell anyway. Then again, maybe that's the note I've labeled as "craft store".

Either way, I wouldn't recommend making a blind buy with this one. Try it first.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

It's impossible to say whether you would like it. I personally don't particularly like it. There is one particular note I don't like, and I can't say whether it is hay or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I still own it, but this scent would sit better on the skin of a bohemian black lady than my white, suburban self. I am considering giving my bottle to my gay black friend, because it seemed much more befitting to his style than mine.

So all that being said, I can't seem to let go of my bottle of Chergui. I consider it to be among the most unique and well-blended niche scents I've ever smelled, and it seems like I'd be selling it short to get rid of it. I suppose I just don't ever feel like what I'm doing is exotic enough to justify wearing something so sweet, spicy, alluring, and "pretty".

I honestly don't know if I smell any resolute hay in there, but I'm not entirely familiar with that smell anyway. Then again, maybe that's the note I've labeled as "craft store".

Either way, I wouldn't recommend making a blind buy with this one. Try it first.
    well, i will absolutly not smell like a bohemian lady!

Basenotes Institution

I think you need to try it - it's quite unusual - spicey ,sweet ,warm . I preferred this instantly to Ambre Sultan .
    You may find you like it - never say never !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    well, i will absolutly not smell like a bohemian lady!
    Worry not my friend! I assure that you will not be smelling like any such thing. Must try!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Do you like the smell of hay & tobacco?
    True.

To my nose it smells very close to D&G Pour Homme.

I'd heard so much about it and was quite let down when I sniffed it. If I'd not known it was SL I would have thought it was an ok masculine designer frag.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    True.

I'd heard so much about it and was quite let down when I sniffed it. If I'd not known it was SL I would have thought it was an ok masculine designer frag.
    You're right, this is somewhat similar to D&G Homme and I do agree that that is disapointing. At the very least, it certainly reminds me of D&G pH. Doesn't have the annoying opening of citrus ( that I dislike). Rather, its the drydown after 2 or 3 hours.

Coincidently, I was wearing my Chergui sample as a SotD today. I am trying to figure out whether or not I should go full bottle. Great longevity and projection, but since I am soo tired of my D&G pour Homme bottle, that I am wondering if full bottle on Chergui is pointless.

Decisions....decisions......

I suppose I just don't ever feel like what I'm doing is exotic enough to justify wearing something so sweet, spicy, alluring, and "pretty".
    Well, I'm exotic, sweet and pretty so, I suppose, Chergui suits me fine...

As others have said, you have to like hay and tobacco.

For some reason, the tobacco here doesn't work me me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    True.

Ok. I`m not a fan of D&G Pour Homme, so i think i`ll pass this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Ok. I`m not a fan of D&G Pour Homme, so i think i`ll pass this one!
    I'm going to have to go smell the D&G now...

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm going to have to go smell the D&G now...
    Ditto

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Weird, Chergui smells nothing like Dolce&Gabbana pour homme , to me.
    Last edited by eric; 2nd October 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Weird, Chergui smells nothing like Dolce&Gabbana pour homme , to me.
    Not really smells, but the drydown has at times with D&G pour Homme ( in warm weather) reminded me of Chergui...or vice versa. But I may be exagerating here or it could be a figment of my imagination. I don't know.

I think I wrote that because in my last sampling of Chergui, it did not seem that interesting to me, but rather just a contemporary take on a tobacco fragrance. Nice, but not great. Its hard to say still whether or not it is for me.

I don't think it smells like D&G either.

I do, however, think it is "shaped" similarly to JPG Le Male.

Surfacing - What don't you understand? (with you're little "" guy)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I don't think it smells like D&G either.

I do, however, think it is "shaped" similarly to JPG Le Male.

Surfacing - What don't you understand? (with you're little "" guy)
    What I bolded, basically. It is just a strange comment, not to mention I can't see how you would think that Chergui is suited for a "...bohemian black lady..." . I don't mean that I think it is totally inappropriate, but more strange. What kind of fragrance suits a bohemian black lady ? A white suburban white male ? A brown skinned male ? How would you ( or I ) know what suits a "...bohemian black lady..." ??

Some fragrances give that vibe I suppose. I have smelled fragrances that seem suited to other's because of the way they smelled, but just not Chergui. Chergui seems kind of an "anyones" fragrance ( to me)....well, not anyone...not a chain wearing suburban teen who listens to rap or metal ( but enough about the kids in my neighbourhood).

Of course, you are certainly free to associate it with another type of person, but it was just how you specified as such...

Oh, back to my comments about the similarity to D&G pour Homme. I gotta retract them, because although they are both tobacco fragrances, they are very different. I think I just made that comment because at the moment I was underwhelmed with Chergui, but I do see its depth, persistance and allure.

I was stunned with Fumerie Turque, so I suppose Chergui was gonna underwhelm as I did further testings. I find Fumerie Turque much more interesting, although Chergui is more wearable ( during the daytime for me)

I agree that it doesn't smell like D&G PH.