Code of Conduct

Default Layering with incense notes?

I have been wearing Armani Prive Bois d'Encens lately. Its an amazing incense scent!
    Any suggestions for layering another cologne with it??

Default Re: Layering with incense notes?

you know what i'm going to try tomorrow?

bois d'encens + 28 la pausa

wish me luck

Edit: Couldn't resist, tried it, was interesting. Whatever in the Bois d'Encens gives it that inky, almost animalic side gave the combo a very strange grey-ish backing. The warm plush iris is there, the silky frankincense is there, but underneath the two is something hard to put my finger on... it was gingery at first, now creamier, thicker. Bizarre. I tried 28 la pausa with CdG's Avignon on the other hand and damn, this is good. The woodier side of Avignon (I'm pretty sure I just smell cedar?) goes nuts, turning it into a frankincense, cedar, iris threeway. The buttery, warm side of Chanel's iris fills it out, gives it depth. I'll try and find a better fitting iris for Bois d'Encens.
    Last edited by nwatts88; 1st October 2009 at 07:40 PM.

i was thinking maybe adding SDV or a vanilla note.

Often, you can get an amber frag and use that for layering, so long as the frag you layer it with doesn't have a lot of amber too.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    you know what i'm going to try tomorrow?

bois d'encens + 28 la pausa

wish me luck

Edit: Couldn't resist, tried it, was interesting. Whatever in the Bois d'Encens gives it that inky, almost animalic side gave the combo a very strange grey-ish backing. The warm plush iris is there, the silky frankincense is there, but underneath the two is something hard to put my finger on... it was gingery at first, now creamier, thicker. Bizarre. I tried 28 la pausa with CdG's Avignon on the other hand and damn, this is good. The woodier side of Avignon (I'm pretty sure I just smell cedar?) goes nuts, turning it into a frankincense, cedar, iris threeway. The buttery, warm side of Chanel's iris fills it out, gives it depth. I'll try and find a better fitting iris for Bois d'Encens.
    Eek!

I layer Avignon, which to me is also Bois d'Encens-ish with Montale's Original Aoud. Very nice....albeit not very original.
    Last edited by Dane; 1st October 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Layer it with Black Aoud by Montale. You can also layer BA with Avignon by CdG, with startling results.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Morning Star

I recommend layering with Z Zegna Extreme; it's grapefruit note would complement incense perfectly.

Anyone tried Black aoud + CDG Kyoto?

Earlier this week I layered some Des Sens et Bois with Pouissere de Rose -- the rose, amber and vanilla gave the woods and incense of the Des Sens et Bois an oddworldly charm. Smelling like someone smeared chalk paste on my arm at first, the combination soon bloomed with a sexy citrus tinged cedary rose with an incensy background. Exhilerating!

I plan on repeating the layering soon again

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    i was thinking maybe adding SDV or a vanilla note.
    That's what I do. Bd'E is so intensely dry and rasping that it needs some "syruping up", IMO. Profvmvm Confetto, Jour de Fête, Hypnotic Poison, PotL Luctor et Emergo and Angélique Encens have all, at some point, been succesfully layered with BdE.

I'm guessing simple, sweetish amber scents would work just as well - L'Occitane Ambre, maybe? Chergui might work, too.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

i would layer it with Bd'E i mean seriously nothing compares or just about. too bad it is volatile, but when you think you lost it, it comes back subtly. it is selling $ 275 when i am at. online shows $185, is it safe? Kyoto by CdG is quite similar for $175.

which black aoud are you talking about? coz there is one by sean john but it doesn't resemble Bd'E but kyoto does!

Quote Originally Posted by sunpaul View Post
    Anyone tried Black aoud + CDG Kyoto?
    which black aoud are you talking about? coz there is one by sean john but it doesn't resemble Bd'E but kyoto does!

I've tried layering Keiko Mecheri's "Oliban" with Goutal's "Encens Flamboyante" to great effect. Occasionally I'll throw on a bit of Wazamba for a slightly more fruity, accessible smell.

Maybe get yourself a cheap bottle of Lomani Ignition and layer away.

Interesting questions...
    Anybody knows how does incense in CDG2 and Gucci PH compare to Avignon? I mean, is the incense note similar? I am very intersted in samplin all the CDG incense series...

Quote Originally Posted by migjurado View Post
    Interesting questions...
    Anybody knows how does incense in CDG2 and Gucci PH compare to Avignon? I mean, is the incense note similar? I am very intersted in samplin all the CDG incense series...
    The incense notes in all of these fragrances are different, especially the frags in the CdG incense series. You should sample them all if you like frags with incense notes. Here is some interesting info from Fragrantica.com regarding the CdG Incense Series, and specifically Avignon.

"Comme des Garçons has launched the project Parfums Series 2000. Fragrances of each of the lines are united around the common topic.
    Series 3 Incense was launched in 2002 and was devoted to the five main spiritual teachings of the humanity:
    Avignon – Catholicism
    Ouarzazate – Islam
    Zagorsk – Orthodox Christianity
    Jaisalmer – Hinduism
    Kyoto – Buddhism and Shintoism

Each of the fragrances is named after the cities significant for those teachings.

Avignon is Catholicism, named after the city of Avignon in the south of France, the Provance region. It was a very influential Catholic centre in the 14th century. This is a smell of gothic cathedrals, their vast and high halls, gobelins and tapestries that were absorbing the sacred frankincense smell for centuries.

The top notes open in distinguishing frankincense and myrrh scent, which lead to the mysterious heart of solemn smoky and balsamic notes. The dry vanilla and soft French (Roman) chamomile notes tame and make this inscrutable mystery closer to us.

The main notes are several kinds of incense, chamomile, vanilla, patchouli, rosewood and ambrette."
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 4th October 2010 at 06:29 PM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Well, the incense notes in Gucci PH and CDG2 Man for me are exactly like catholic incense, so I guess Avignon might be quite similar.