Code of Conduct

Default is it ok to plastic bottles for prefumes?

I need to transfer some of my larger samples into atomizer bottles, I think it's better to sample a fragrance by spraying instead of dabbing it on the skin. So I'm on the lookout for some empty perfume bottles... is it ok to use plastic atomizers ? or glass is preferred ? any feedback is appreciated.

I'm in Montreal ... if anyone can also help me find a store that sells those bottles in different sizes with funnels and other perfume accessories!
    Last edited by hawk; 8th October 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: is it ok to plastic bottles for prefumes?

Hawk, I actually prefer to use glass, for reasons mentioned by other members in the past that plastic may sometimes affect the smell of the juice stored in them? Anyways, this site has a good reputation for selling glass and plastic atomizers. http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/

for long term FOR SURE glass
    plastic will almost guarantee your juice going bad if your storing it longer than 1-2 weeks
    I learned this the hard way
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I'm glad I asked here first, thanks guys for the feedback

Get glass bottles. Plastic bottles ruined a couple of scents for me by imparting them with a disgusting PVC like odor. I've been wiser since then and only used glass bottles.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

A few 'official' free samples (inside cards) I received from stores came in plastic atomizers, and looks like they keep them under the desk for possibly weeks before handing them out to customers to try as they have loads. The smell of the scents from the plastic atomizers didn't smell off to me.

But personal preference I too would prefer to keep my fragrance in glass containers.
    Last edited by somnambulist07; 8th October 2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hawk, I actually prefer to use glass, for reasons mentioned by other members in the past that plastic may sometimes affect the smell of the juice stored in them? Anyways, this site has a good reputation for selling glass and plastic atomizers. http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/
    +1 for www.accessoriesforfragrances.com.

Great site with amazing customer service, quality product and decent prices.
    Sales thread here

Whole Foods carry good glass bottles for decanting. Pretty cheap too.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I have a question. I just ordered this:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...s--dsh-/Detail

Which I was planning to use for my samples. But if they inevitably turn all fragrances bad, why do they even sell them at accessoriesforfragrances, and/or what alternative use do they have?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I have a question. I just ordered this:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...s--dsh-/Detail

Which I was planning to use for my samples. But if they inevitably turn all fragrances bad, why do they even sell them at accessoriesforfragrances, and/or what alternative use do they have?
    They do not inevitably turn fragrances bad; that is one of the many myths that seem to live in the BN universe. I have used some of the same atomisers from this company and have frags that have been in them for many weeks/months without any ill effect on the fragrance.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    They do not inevitably turn fragrances bad; that is one of the many myths that seem to live in the BN universe. I have used some of the same atomisers from this company and have frags that have been in them for many weeks/months without any ill effect on the fragrance.
    Me too.

For important and long term storage/archiving, it's a good idea to use glass. But I have used plastic atomizers successfully for many years with no 'turning'.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Get glass bottles. Plastic bottles ruined a couple of scents for me by imparting them with a disgusting PVC like odor.
    Same experience here. Profumum Acqua di Sale takes on that unpleasant plastic note when stored in plastic atomizers.

Blog Entries

I decant all my fragrances into 5 ml plastic atomizers from Accessories for Fragrances (and keep the full bottles in the fridge) -- have done this for a couple of years now-- and have never yet had a scent turn on me. I do not store anything stronger than EdP however.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th October 2009 at 03:37 AM.

I believe it may be some plastic
    the particular atomizers I was using are the 5ml "smoky" atomizers (plastic) from lotioncrafters

they pretty much, more or less, made every sample I placed in them turn in some way after a period of 2-3 months

although I do admit most of them were citrusy scents which turn easily

nontheless, glass is always safer. There is a very good reason all designer/niche companies sell their frags in glass, and even some samples as well

if I was decanting some ho hum designer frag I wouldn't mind using plastic, but for anything else, glass all the way
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab