Code of Conduct

Default Niche recommendation for 26yo Guy

Hello All,

i'm a 26 year old male who enjoys the more recent releases of fragrances. I'm trying to get into a niche or two that I can wear daily at the office and doesn't smell "old" as my girlfriend says about most niche I've tried (guerlain vetiver, bois de Portugal, acqua di Parma, habit rouge and other samples I've tried. I recently got a sample of tobacco vanille and did kind of like that as it reminds me of pipe tobacco. Also had creeds VIW and although couldn't see myself wearing it as it seemed too feminine- really appreciated the quality of ingredients I smelled. There really is a difference in quality you can tell.

So I'm looking for suggestions for niche to sample that is fairly long lasting and appropriate for daily use in an office environment that doesn't smell "old".

Some designer frags I like: Tommy bahama, gucci PH, dirty English, Tommy, Burberry London, the beat, terre d'hermes

also - I have erolfa, which I bought after sampling but now that I have a bottle I get a urine cake smell sometimes.

Thanks for the help!

John
    Last edited by Speed00kills; 2nd October 2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Default Re: Niche recommendation for 26yo Guy

I'm 27, here's my take.

-MPG ambre precioux: Bright and pleasant, but maybe too powdery on some skin. I heard it has been discontinued as well, so it might be hard to find.

-Heeley Sel Marin: I like this one a lot and wear it to the office often. Citrus without sweetness in the opening. Smells like the ocean... sort of. I can't wear erolfa either, but I do like Sel Marin.

-Bond no 9 riverside drive: Sharp Basil note here, which I like. A light application works nicely during the day. Hint: to get this one cheap, get 5 or 10 samples off ebay and put them in a 1oz or so sprayer.

Seems like you want something spicy, and not to sweet. L`Artisan Parfumuer Fou d`Absinthe is one of my favourites. Hot and cold, fresh and warm. Very classy and attractive!
    Bois1920 Extreme is also very nice. Classic, timeless, refined, yet modern!

These Guerlains :Vetiver Habit Rouge ... arent considered niche since u can get it anywhere with ease.

And you might like L'air du desert Marocain. Very manly and dry and spice and all. Or Parfum d'Habit from my fav. perfume house
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    And you might like L'air du desert Marocain.Very manly and dry and spice and all.
    Agreed.

Speed00kills, think you just happened to start out with a lot of scents that do not smell modern. As much as I love them, Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, BdP, and AdP definitely don't smell modern.

On the contrary, I think most niche scents do smell rather modern. It's just that many of the scents we worship around here have classical aspects to them.

So to help you avoid further confusion, I will make some suggestions:

Divine L'Homme Sage - beautiful and approachable. A little fruit, with equal parts spices, incense, and oakmoss.

Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street - bracing green opening with a spices and some light sweetness in the base. One of my most complimented scents. Some say it's like Green Irish Tweed. I think it's better...say what you will about Bond No. 9 the company.

Diptyque Eau Lente - the most beautiful oriental I've ever smelled. Mostly clove, cinnamon, and oppoponax with a silky smooth vanilla base.

Creed Original Vetiver - a soapy, approachable vetiver, with none of the tobacco and spices that might be putting you off the Guerlain. You might also try Comme des Garcons Vettiveru for something similar, but with a more pronounced vetiver note. I would try Creed's Millesime Imperial and Himalaya too, just for the heck of it. They're both very easy to like.

I am also in my mid 20s.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 2nd October 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Hello, I coincidentally ave the same age as you, being quite a niche fan myself, and would like to recommend you Creed BDP, Knize Ten, ADP Colonia, Penhaligons Endymion and Hugh Parsons Yellow or Hugh Parsons Blue

My SotD is Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang.

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Lime, Lemon, Black Pepper, Wild Basil, Rhubarb, Cypress.

Middle Notes
    Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Lily, Mimosa, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vetiver.

Base Notes
    Tonka, Vanilla, Musk, Amber, Olibanum, Oakmoss

It seems to me like an easy to wear, modern, spicy scent, for us guys in our 20's. Give it a shot! I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Hello, I coincidentally ave the same age as you, being quite a niche fan myself, and would like to recommend you Creed BDP, Knize Ten, ADP Colonia, Penhaligons Endymion and Hugh Parsons Yellow or Hugh Parsons Blue
    Someone's guilty of not reading the initial thread!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by sculptureofsoul View Post
    someone's guilty of not reading the initial thread!
    lL. O. L.
    Last edited by warlandsboy; 2nd October 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Why is my "L" not showing up capitalized??????????

I think Ecsentric 01 sounds like it'd be perfect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    My SotD is Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang.

It seems to me like an easy to wear, modern, spicy scent, for us guys in our 20's. Give it a shot! I'm loving it.
    +1, this fits the bill. Anvers 2 was one of the first niche scents I sampled, and remains somewhere in my top 15.

Pick a couple of your favorite notes and get yourself some TPC 'intro to niche sample packs' that are organized by notes. It's an unfortunate comment that quality has become equated with 'smelling old', but assuming your gf is the same age she's probably used to smelling thin, transparent colognes and associating them as modern. Personally I'd say wear what makes you happy and don't sweat your girl's opinion, but I know that's not always the best plan.

Your 'I like' list has a number of woody and spicy scents. Perhaps you should look at sampling CdG Hinoki, IUNX Splash Forte, Chanel Coromandel, Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, ELDO Elonge du Traitre, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed00kills View Post
    So I'm looking for suggestions for niche to sample that is fairly long lasting and appropriate for daily use in an office environment that doesn't smell "old".
    It might be good to find out what sets off your girlfriend's "old guy" alarm. Then you'd have an idea of what to avoid. Or, you could always wear something a bit shorter-lived at the office - Hinoki, for example - then shower and put on something she enjoys more in the evening.

aquatic: Heeley Sel Marin, Montale Fougères Marines
    dark dry wood: Lalique Encre Noire
    aromatic wood: Givenchy Xeryus
    sandalwood & rose: C&S No. 88

Hob Dobsons gives great advice. Everyone has a different idea of what smells "old."

I second (or third) the recommendation of L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer. It's a great woody, resinous frag with a touch of vanilla for sweetness and lots of natural frankincense. The quality of ingredients is unmistakable and I think you may wind up falling for this one.

I'm a fan of Eau Lente so I'll second that as well but do try before you buy - it's very powdery and they may come off as "feminine" or "old" to you.
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 2nd October 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: lol engrish

Go online to Aedes.com and Luckyscent.com and just order about $50 worth of samples.

This will provide you with weeks of sampling pleasure and you will learn a lot about fragrances and your preferences.

I highly recommend ordering some Comme Des Garcon samples. They are very modern and not at all "old" smelling if I understand how you are using the term.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

mark buxton hot leather is really cool ive just discovered, costume national 21 is really awesome and your girl will probably think its sexy as hell, czech and speake dark rose is young and different, cahmere by cristiana fissore is a smoother niche version of gucci ph , one of my faves....all can be found on www.luckyscent.com, my favorite website next to this one.
    Last edited by jdnba; 2nd October 2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Go online to Aedes.com and Luckyscent.com and just order about $50 worth of samples.

This will provide you with weeks of sampling pleasure and you will learn a lot about fragrances and your preferences.

I highly recommend ordering some Comme Des Garcon samples. They are very modern and not at all "old" smelling if I understand how you are using the term.

-Slim
    This is a great idea as well, except I order most of my samples from other members lol.

Well, seeing as you don't mention a budget and inspired by the recent thread, how about Chanel Sycomore? To me ( a 28 year old female) it is both classy and classic without felling stuffy or old.

Alternatively, if you like Terre d'Hermes, how about Hermessence Vetiver Tonka? Once again, a lovely take on vetiver but this time more roasted raspy and a little more sweet and nutty.

To me both are modern and unisex, I happily wear them myself and love them on my man. Ml per ml they are also cheaper (and nicer) than Tom Ford, I think.

If you can get to boutiques/concessions that stock these then just go head and ask for some samples. They are generously sized and the staff seem quite happy to hand them out.
    Last edited by Anthracite; 3rd October 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Have you tried Equipage? How about Michael for Men? Or are you committed to "niche?" If not, there is also the "super cheapo," Mustang by Dorall. I still can't believe how good it is for the pittance it costs!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd October 2009 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post
    Alternatively, if you like Terre d'Hermes, how about Hermessence Vetiver Tonka? Once again, a lovely take on vetiver but this time more roasted raspy and a little more sweet and nutty.
    +1 Vetiver Tonka - It is devine.

Thanks all for the suggestions

I have samples of tobacco vanille(which I'm really starting to like) and jubilation XXV which I also am liking.

I definitely want to try l'air du desert marocain, I think i'd like it

on an aside, are niche frags like tobacco vanille generally edps rather than edts? and the difference is only concentration which corresponds to strength and has nothing to do with intended gender right?
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Speed00kills View Post
    on an aside, are niche frags like tobacco vanille generally edps rather than edts? and the difference is only concentration which corresponds to strength and has nothing to do with intended gender right?
    Correct. "Strength" refers to oil content, not necessarily how strong the smell is. There are certainly EDTs that have better longevity and sillage than certain EDPs I've tried. Also EDPs tend to have deeper bases and a mellower overall character.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm not assuming that price is'nt an issue, but if it is'nt how about Creeds Millesime Imperial or Himalaya. I think it will go very well with you. Don't blind buy though

Here's another vote for Anvers 2.

I like the L`Artisan Parfumuer Fou d`Absinthe recommendation!

Also, the recommendations of Original Vetiver, Anvers 2 and Divine L'Homme Sage are worth checking out.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I'll be 24 years old tomorrow, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Just take a look at my wardrobe for my favorites. I only own decants and bottles of my absolute favorite fragrances to wear.

One of the only fragrances I like that smell "old" is Fumerie Turque, but I don't own a bottle or decant yet. The best part about that one is actually the fact that it smells "old" (ie. mature and experienced) - it's just so smoky and refined, an absolute favorite of mine.

My niche recommendations for an office scent would be GIT and Invasion Barbare.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 6th October 2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Sales thread here

Idole de Lubin for a boozy-spicy-syrupy frag that isn't animalic or too loud, it's made by Giacobetti afterall.

I'll further endorse GIT.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Just an update - I've attained samples of almost everything recommended here and a couple I really like are CdG Man 2 and Heeley Sel Marin.

Thanks guys and let me know of any others.

PM ME

Have you tried some fragrances from the Bois 1920 Line? You should definitively check out Real Patchouly, Sushi Imperiale, 1920 Extreme, and Vetiver Ambrato. All of them are irresistible!