Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Own it and love it, but rarely (if ever) wear it!

I wouldn't imagine that there are too many of us here that would include fragrances in our collection that we had no intention of wearing. But sometimes, I realize that I own something that I regard quite highly, but very rarely wear! (I'll withhold the identity of these fragrances, so as not to inspire a discussion about them)

Or maybe I'm wrong - Are there any of you that own one or more fragrances, just for the sake of appreciating their beauty - but don't ever wear?

Which ones do you own and love the smell of, but rarely (if ever) wear? (and why?)
    Last edited by Scentronic; 2nd October 2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Own it and love it, but rarely (if ever) wear it!

I've got a bottle of Yatagan, which I love, but I almost never wear. For two reasons. First, I don't often feel bold enough to wear it in public. (Perhaps I should more often.) Second, my boyfriend is very sensitive to it. Although he seems to like it, he complains if I use 'too much." Sigh.

One for sure is Chergui. Love it but don't wear it. last wearing was almost a year ago. Why?

Any of my cool-weather scents. I live in Florida, and going into October it's still way too hot outside for "fall" scents (L'anarchiste, Gucci Pour Homme, and the ilk).

Basenotes Institution

I think all of my gourmands fall into this category - it's too friggin hot in Miami to wear them. Maybe a couple days out of the year, are all I can wear something like Tobacco Vanille. The same goes for my Madeline (parfum) by Ava Luxe.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

For me it's R de Capucci. I rarely wear it but really do think it is one of the most interesting fragrances in my wardrobe.

AromiErotici

Patou Pour Homme for me. I have barely 1oz left and it's so hard to find without paying a ransom. I only wear it on very special occasions.

I have something like that with Dior Homme Intense.
    I am gonna force myself to wear it in rotation.

So many

-Iris Silver Mist
    -Sarrasins
    -Breath of God
    -Caron Pour Un Homme
    -Jubilation XXV
    -Philtre d'Amour
    -Rose Poivree
    -S-ex
    -A La Nuit

Probably lots more...I tend to only wear 3 or 4 on a regular basis.

My whole 'drobe basically lol - Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste and L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

I was actually going to make a thread like this: wearability vs. likability.

I now dress how i like without caring about other' opinions. (luckily most girls alike ti ) But for some reason I just can't bring myself to wear something like Jicky in public. I care too much how I smell, social stigmas and whatnot.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Off-Scenter

Amouage Gold and Homage both fall into this category for me. I wouldn't part with either, but occasions to wear anything as extravagant and voluptuous as these two are few. (Though I have gotten braver about wearing very light applications of Gold in a less formal milieu.)

Bond 9 Westside. Love it but barely wear it.

Azzaro PH

Dunhill for Men

Chanel PM

L'Heure Bleue

Basenotes Institution

Too many - I have lots I have not worn for a while but I always plan to ... Magie Noire , Keiko Mecheri GdB, Paco Rabanne ...the list goes on. I must start wearing them again one of these days .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Too many - I have lots I have not worn for a while but I always plan to ... Magie Noire , Keiko Mecheri GdB, Paco Rabanne ...the list goes on. I must start wearing them again one of these days .
    Yes.....you should. By the way, I dig your avy.

Post Re: Own it and love it, but rarely (if ever) wear it!

Tabac Blond Parfum Extrait....Caron. Only break it out on very special occasions. I frankly have no idea how a perfumer could have possibly been able to create a fragrance such as this. Totally beyond my imagination!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

-Ananas Fizz: Wore it only once or twice this past summer... reached for the Mugler Cologne far more often.
    -Gaultier²: Once one of my Top 5 worn frags, now, not so much.
    -Giorgio for Men: Love the smell, but I just can't find an occasion where it's acceptable.
    -Mandarin Tout Simplement: Own a tiny bottle, but have worn it only once.
    -Purple Water: Only touched it five or six times in the bottle's history. Should have touched it more this past summer.

Anyone want these scents?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sur la Plage

I have a few rare ones that would be hard to find/replace - so I wear them sparingly.

I too live in Florida, and have no problems wearing my gourmands and heavy orientals.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 3rd October 2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

At this moment:

Virgin Island Water
    Erolfa
    Bulgari Aqua
    Silver Mountain Water
    ROYAL WATER -> Have 4.2oz of this and have only worn it 5 times? *Regrets a little (buying)*
    and....

A lot more, mostly marine and/or aquatics. It is a phase, I guess (and hope) I will return to after a while.

Sure... many.

Like petrucci said, I too have rare/htf/valuable fragrances that I wear only on special occasions. Closely related to these are my vintages that I appreciate but only give full wears when in a vintage mood.
    There are also many powerhouse type scents that I love dearly (Polo, Jules, Derby, Patou PH) but rarely am I in the mood to give these a full wear.

Grey Flannel.
    I Love it, but I'm rarely in the mood. but it's on the top of the list when It's raining (which is somewhat rare).
    I find it a little too strong. but I Find the balance of its green-ness and mossiness to be perfect for rainy nights.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    One for sure is Chergui. Love it but don't wear it. last wearing was almost a year ago. Why?

Same here. I love it but can't wear it.

Blog Entries

Very much the same thing as what Vibert says.

For me it's Tiffany for Men and Vintage Tabarome. I simply have too few days when these deserve to be worn. Also my old classics like Polo green. Just don't feel like breaking these out on T-shirt days. But I may try using these a bit more often if I'm just staying in.

I easily have 3 dozen fragrances that fall into the "never wear" category, because there was a time when I was buying fragrances indiscriminately. I don't do that now, and friends and family members are receving alot of cast-offs. But even they can't use it as fast as I can supply it.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 3rd October 2009 at 05:03 AM.

I don't understand this situation, except for weather issues, scarcity problems, offending those around you, etc. Yes, you might prefer it as a room spray, but if it's a "personal fragrance," and you "love" it, what other reason can there be? So, at least in the way I appreciate frags, I'd have to say you are wrong here, unless you meant it in a different way than I understand the question.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd October 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Jazz for reasons unknown because I love it

Encens et Lavende because I want to use it sparingly.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne. These days I rarely get requests to perform lap-dances. It must be said that at that time La Nuit did drive those johns crazy. Now it just gathers dust.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd October 2009 at 07:12 PM.

What does happen a lot is that I think a frag is "good," but it reminds me of one I'd rather wear instead, so I usually try to swap/sell them off, so I certainly can't say I "love" them. Another thing is that I like the idea but a note is just too strong. I think Jazz Prestige is very good, in a sense, but a bit too "perfumey" to me, possibly due to geranium overdose.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd October 2009 at 05:15 AM.

Demeter Dirt, mostly because it doesn't even approach lasting through the work day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't understand this situation, except for weather issues, scarcity problems, offending those around you, etc. Yes, you might prefer it as a room spray, but if it's a "personal fragrance," and you "love" it, what other reason can there be? So, at least in the way I appreciate frags, I'd have to say you are wrong here, unless you meant it in a different way than I understand the question.
    For example I own and LOVE Dior Jules...love it. Forget that it's HTF and I only have about 30ml left. Basically it's big and heavy and I have to be in a specific mood to want to wear it, and that mood rarely comes up these days. More then any othwer factor (weather, situation) I match my scent to my mood

Hillaire

This has caused me to consider why I am not wearing a few 'favorites': unlike Vibert, I wear the fancier stuff whether it's appropriate or not! But have neglected some classic, beloved greats for months (plural): Lancome Cuir, Chant d'Aromes, L'Heure Bleue, Habanita...
    I don't know why!

Serge Noire and Avignon. I love them but only wear them on evenings at home. I can't imagine wearing them for a social situation or work.
    Evenstar

Yep, I have some of those... they're, comfort scents or scents that I wouldn't really want to wear in public. I used to wear them in the evening at home. However, lately I've been doing a lot of sampling in the evening so my comfort scents aren't getting a whole lot of action.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I wear whatever, whenever, whereever, of course with reasonable consideration for others However, some frags do not get worn in ages only due to the number of bottles in my collection. Perhaps i should conduct an exercise and separate the wear-oftens (Wardrobe) from the others (Collection).
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Givenchy 3 Vintage -- I smelled it for the first time in a little huckster store in greece and couldnt resist but I havent found myself wearing it at all. Yet I love the smell, cherish my bottle which proudly stands up in the wardrobe and I think I'm, just waiting for the right girl to blow me away wearing it.

Dior Homme - first hour is good, but then it becomes cloying.
    Gaultier² - ditto.
    Havana - last hour is good, but it's hell to get there. Too strong with that powerful rum/tobacco bite.
    Iquitos - Too little development through the notes and it gets cloying after midday.

Caron Tabac Blond extrait - bought it from a split in summer, haven't worn once.
    Serge Lutens Sa Majestic la Rose - I prefer it on my girlfriend, but she's away now. Won't be back till Christmas.

Avignon and Lonestar Memories come to mind. I do love them both but I seldom want to smell like them all day long. But I often use scents by putting a tiny bit on one wrist when I spend time at home, so that the experience of the frag is more like leafing through a book of photographs than like wearing it as an article of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    [I] But I often use scents by putting a tiny bit on one wrist when I spend time at home, so that the experience of the frag is more like leafing through a book of photographs than like wearing it as an article of clothing.
    What a great way of putting it. Similar here - quiet afternoon or evening reading or writing this can be perfect for stuff I just wouldn't wear out . . . some Lutens or classic Guerlains.

Hermes Rocabar and Bulgari Black.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

There are several of mine that fall into this category for various reasons:

LV Garofano - too flowery for all but the hottest weather.
    Bois du Portugal - too formal for me. I rarely am dressed in a manner that would suit this one.
    Kouros - too, well ... just too what it is. I do love it, but I only reach for it when I've made a definite decision to wear it. I guess I feel that I need to wear this one with purpose.

CHANEL Pour Monsieur. I Love it, but don`t wear it. Why? It last only one hour on my skin, so i don`t bothered to put it on..

Basenotes Plus

Arpege pour Homme
    Samsara EDP
    They just don't go well with my usual casuals or jeans/T-shirt combo.

But I try to stay in touch with my scent collection at bedtime...for comfort or to evoke certain memories.

Comme des Garcons--Avignon. Love it, wore it last Christmas. Don't really wanna wear it when I'm out.

I have a bunch that I rarely wear presently and still love, but I keep getting new frags that cock block the old ones. Like Eau Sauvage, l'Homme, A*men, Fou d'Absinthe and so on.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Comme des Garcons - Original EDP and Montale - Black Aoud.

Smell awesome, but I am always afraid to offend people in my direct surroundings...

CK Obsession (female) - Just love smelling it from time to time to bring me back to my childhood.

For me it's all about availability (and sometimes the occasion):

Dior Homme Intense
    Cartier Santos Concentree
    YSL Opium PH Eau de Parfum
    Montale Black Aoud
    Ghost Man (which should really kick Le Male off it's pedestal in my wardrobe)

Givenchy Xeryus Rouge - another Annick Menardo concoction, but this one I can't seem to grasp

For me, it is is Armani PH.

Although my absolutely favorite scent, I hardly ever wear it, even if I will buy quite a few backup bottles of it, simply because to me it has a certain nearly transcendental beauty, that makes it hard to for me to picture these scent being worn even at the most formal, sophisticated or exclusive occasions.

Oh also Jaipur Homme!

Acqua di biella baraja and thierry muglar cologne. I would part with them if anyone is interested. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Amouage Gold and Homage both fall into this category for me. I wouldn't part with either, but occasions to wear anything as extravagant and voluptuous as these two are few. (Though I have gotten braver about wearing very light applications of Gold in a less formal milieu.)
    I never thought I'd be beaten by a fragrance but Amouage Gold, I just couldn't wear. Dear God that stuff is strong... I would feel incredibly self-conscious wearing that because the sillage is like a chemical weapon, utterly devastating.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Richard James Saville Row. I adore sniffing it but never does it seem to reach the surface of my body.

kim

I am definately guilty of this. I have, Love, and rarely wear:

Vintage No. 88
    Ambre Sultan
    Tabacco Vanille

Davidoff Cool Water is like that for me atm.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Own it and love it, but rarely (if ever) wear it!

I have a bottle of Jicky that I respect but personally cannot wear due to Civet and I have a bottle of Niki St.Phalle that I think is a beautifully constructed fragrance that I would not feel confident wearing out. I think some fragrance are exceedingly worth having as part of my collection to be taken out now and then and sniffed in appreciation.

My Patou PH is to valuable to wear!

Caron Pour un Homme collects dust as well.

Domenico Caraceni PH
    Richard James (Savile Row)
    Jazz Prestige
    Hugh Parsons Blue

Modern Guerlains (L`Instant, L`Homme), Serge Lutens (belljars and squares alike), FMalles, Millesime Creeds, Reflection Man Creed, Poivre and Tabac Blonde by Caron, vintage Havana, and all 90`s masculines I got in early years of my collection.

Usually I`m lurking in 70s-80s from my collection. And wearing feminine Caron, Guerlain, leathery chypres, and masculine Amouage and Kilian. And oud oils too.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    For me, it is is Armani PH.

Although my absolutely favorite scent, I hardly ever wear it, even if I will buy quite a few backup bottles of it, simply because to me it has a certain nearly transcendental beauty, that makes it hard to for me to picture these scent being worn even at the most formal, sophisticated or exclusive occasions.
    Exactly. I continually think it is "too perfect" to wear in comparison to my other frags. But I have a bottle of Armani PH aftershave balm that I use a couple of times a week.