Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Has anyone given Smell Bent a try yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Has anybody noticed that they started to sell edt's too? Wonder if they're better than oils...
    I have a sample pack of of the EdT's:
    Violet Tendencies - leather and violets, a really nice combo, the leather note is a bit too sharp, but perhaps it softens over time.
    Prairie Nymph: beeswax and clementine, a sweet gourmand that could work nicely on a very young and very attractive person.
    Desperado: Very nice. Dry, pencil shavings style, cedar with some ginger, might appeal to Andy Tauer fans.
    Saddle Warmer: a strange peach note and a cheap whiskey note, this one is quite possibly the most nauseating fragrance I've ever smelled.
    Bollywood or Bust: My favorite of the group, a spiced up rose and sandalwood.
    I've only tested these on paper, with the exception of Saddle Warmer, I'll be doing a skin test this week.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th May 2010 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I have a sample pack of of the EdT's:
    Violet Tendencies - leather and violets, a really nice combo, the leather note is a bit too sharp, but perhaps it softens over time.
    Prairie Nymph: beeswax and clementine, a sweet gourmand that could work nicely on a very young and very attractive person.
    Desperado: Very nice. Dry, pencil shavings style, cedar with some ginger, might appeal to Andy Tauer fans.
    Saddle Warmer: a strange peach note and a cheap whiskey note, this one is quite possibly the most nauseating fragrance I've ever smelled.
    Bollywood or Bust: My favorite of the group, a spiced up rose and sandalwood.
    I've only tested these on paper, with the exception of Saddle Warmer, I'll be doing a skin test this week.
    Oh, all of them sound great! Do they last long on skin, like 7-8 hours? And I think that Prairie Nymph is for me :P

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Thanks Mike! Useful information. How does it compare to Opium and JHL?
    Not as amber or opoponax prominent as Opium. Or as aldehydic as JHL. A bit more cinnamony than both - in a sweet candy sort of way, with a resinous, medicinal aftertaste.

Any updated opinions on these? I'm curious on thoughts between the oils and EDT's too because I don't know which I should be trying.....

Power Where You Need It

So far I've only tried Hungry Hungry Hippies which strikes as a poor men verison of Parfumerie generale Coz. Really nice head shop patchouli with chocolate and hemp...Chastity Begins @ Home which is a transparent woody/incense with a remarkable rose note and some oakmoss. Less interesting than HHH yet well crafted and honest. The Spray Tan Incident was an ok sweet concoction of citrus (mainly mandarine) and green notes laying on a subtle vetiver base....not for me.

From my sample pack I still have to try Franken Smellie
    Last edited by alfarom; 25th November 2011 at 08:07 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

lol@hungry hungry hippies

love the name

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Bumping this as I just got my sample pack of:

Dead of winter, Exquisite corpse (which I'm giving a full days wearing and regretting feel a bit sick...), Never never land, Totem Eclipse (love love love!), Otter Luvr and Mountain High.

All reviewed in my link below, latest post so easy to find.

I'm well impressed!! Wish longevity and sillage was a bit better on most though, especially Mountain High, its wonderful but the drydown comes too fast.

ELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY - this smells similar to Tobacco Vanille. This is a festive winter scent.
    Currently wearing: Mtal by Paco Rabanne

Bumping this -

Any fresh thoughts on any of these?

I gave my Hansel & Dreidel a full wearing today after owning it for ages (a blind buy) and being disappointed on first sniff. I actually really enjoyed it today, just a typical gourmand, I smelt like a hot German christmas cake all day I washed it off and applied another fragrance in the afternoon - had a shower this evening, and I could still smell the honey/cakey goodness from the morning! Impressive for an EDT

I'm tempted to try out some more of their scents again as it's coming up to summer.
    I'm hoping Tokyo Mama Fizzzz is a wicked alternative to Comme des Garcons' Soda
    I also want one of his pot fragrances, just torn between Hungry Hungry Hippies and Mountain High, I don't have a cocoa so think it'll be the previous.

Haven't read anything about his vo-cab-u-lary range and just wondering if anyone has explored more of his stuff

I ordered a few samples from Smell Bent recently and have been working my way through slowly (mostly because a recent head cold rendered me useless in the olfactory department!).

The one that has captured my attention most, but that has also been the most challenging to me is Violet Tendencies. It's a beautiful violet darkened with woods and leather...the initial spray is intoxicating, and has a STRONG plasticky leather aura, which I perversely love! It wears well on my skin and heads towards the much more subdued and subtle drydown sooner than later, which I'm somewhat thankful for, because I think my less adventurous loved ones would be a little taken aback by the initial exuberant onslaught (which I'm insatiably drawn to, for some reason).

I also quite love Bollywood or Bust, but where Violet Tendences was big and brash, BoB is refined and balanced. The opening is all classic rose and spices, which it maintains for a good two hours or so. I like that there isn't a precipice where all of a sudden I notice that most of the floral notes are gone, leaving just the sandalwood base. Instead, there is a gradual change - almost like a color gradient in graphic design, slowly and almost imperceptibly inching to the finish line - confidently morphing from delicious rose to subtle and relaxed sandalwood. This is definitely one of those scents where I can see why experienced fragrance collectors say things like "Smell Bent is worth three times the price!" - this is definitely a scent that could be someone's classical go-to, someone's easy-wearing signature in waiting. I'm definitely sold on a FB.

Other notable samples (which I haven't tried for more than a quick skin test, but warrant mentioning immediately):

Commando - Musk and tonka. For lack of a better way to put it - I wanted to rip my OWN clothes off. Well done. I can't wait to wear it more.

Tok'Yo Mama Fizzzzz - Basically wearable lime soda. It's SO not what I'd normally wear, but is incredibly mouthwatering in the small amounts that I've smelled so far - not cloying or treacly at all, and you really can sense the "fizz" note. I kind of wonder what people will think when they see a big bear of a guy (me) and then smell a waft of lime soda, so I'm super tempted to dive in and wear the heck out of it soon.

Incensed Short Fuse - I really thought this would be my fave and it's not...not exactly. I did love the spicy drydown, but I'm just not sure I'm taking in the full picture of what the top notes and heart are saying. It could be that I need to spray more, as I was hoping for greater sillage. Regardless, this definitely wasn't bad or offensive at all, just confusing to my nose.

I've got more to try - I'll report back soon!
    Last edited by warho15; 30th November 2012 at 03:54 PM.

I have gone through a bazillion samples from this house and found a few treasures: Commando, which is a really nice musk; Pere Noel Coward, a slightly sweet frosty pine; and Otter Luvr, a sweet, musky bay rum. Bollywood or Bust is also a very nice rose and sandalwood, as has been mentioned. Unfortunately, two of the four I mentioned are discontinued, although Brent has been great about digging out a leftover bottle when asked.

Only remember trying Debonair - nothing special IMO.

Have Commando, Dead of Winter, and Hungry Hungry Hippies coming. I bought a sample pack earlier this year and thought they were unique, but just couldn't wear them as a fragrance. Hopefully that'll change.

Has anyone tried Incensed Short Fused. I have had no such luck finding a good review from a number of sources. Sorry for bumping a 2 year old thread, but I want to know more about this fragrance in particular and I have no experience with the line. Thanks in advanced.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 30ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Bumping this -

Any fresh thoughts on any of these?

I gave my Hansel & Dreidel a full wearing today after owning it for ages (a blind buy) and being disappointed on first sniff. I actually really enjoyed it today, just a typical gourmand, I smelt like a hot German christmas cake all day I washed it off and applied another fragrance in the afternoon - had a shower this evening, and I could still smell the honey/cakey goodness from the morning! Impressive for an EDT

I'm tempted to try out some more of their scents again as it's coming up to summer.
    I'm hoping Tokyo Mama Fizzzz is a wicked alternative to Comme des Garcons' Soda
    I also want one of his pot fragrances, just torn between Hungry Hungry Hippies and Mountain High, I don't have a cocoa so think it'll be the previous.

Haven't read anything about his vo-cab-u-lary range and just wondering if anyone has explored more of his stuff
    Got a sample pack of six which I haven't fully tried yet but the Tokyo Mama Fizzz smells exactly like Orange Tango - quite literally the same smell.

I think it could be nice in the summer but not sure how long it will last
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum