Code of Conduct

Smile House James Heeley - Opinions Please

Good morning Basenoters,

I have ordered all samples from James Heeley. Can you please let me know your thoughts on this house? I do know, there are some threads already lunched on this house, however it's pretty much scattered, so your opinions will be more than welcome, as I would like to explore the entire line.
    Thank you!

Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 1st June 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Default Re: House James Heeley - Opinions Please

Some very good high quality fragrances. Pretty long lasting. The fig one is powerful and dry - very nice. Not crazy about the mint one. Post your opinions when you get to test them.
    Last edited by adonis; 29th May 2011 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Some very good high quality fragrances. Pretty long lasting. The fig one is powerful and dry - very nice. Not crazy about the mint one. Post your opinions when you get to test them.

Thank you Adonis! Already curious about the Fig one ;-) I will be receiving samples next Wednesday, and I will post here my first impressions after testing it;-)

Some good, some bad, as all houses.

My favourite by far is St. Clement's. I also own Spirit of the tiger which is okay. Didn't like Menthe fraiche, Gernaium pour monsieur does it better. Also Sel marine was a big disappointment for me. Cuir pleine fleuer didn't eork too for me. However, Cardinal I found interesting and may get a bottle of it. Venivier was yuck. The others I don't know.

Thank you MrAndySais, have a scented Sunday ;-)

A house thats fragrances are elegant and very refined. I think Cuir pleine fleur and Sel Marine are the best of their offerings. The only problem is the fragrances are just to expensive.

Sur la Plage

Cuir Pleine Fleur is the best of the line IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The only problem is the fragrances are just to expensive.
    Thank you Jack Hunter for your feedback, price range for Heeley € 120,- per 100 ml, not too bad ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Thank you petruccijc, nice to see that we have here mixed opinions ;-) I will be more than pleased to share MHO with you guys, after sampling the whole range, have a scented Sunday!
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 29th May 2011 at 01:08 PM.

I'm interested to see that. I have only smelled Cuir Pleine Fleur from this line. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Thank you petruccijc, nice to see that we have here mixed opinions ;-) I will be more than pleased to share MHO with you guys, after sampling the whole range, have a scented Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I'm interested to see that. I have only smelled Cuir Pleine Fleur from this line. Nice!
    Hello Volley2, I can't buy Heeley in The Netherlands so have decided to order the samples from their boutique in Paris, looking forward to smelling it ;-) keep you guys appraised - Good Vibes from The Hague - The Netherlands! Cheers;-)

There is a sort of transparency to much of the line I find appealing on paper and in passing but frustratingly transient and "flat" on skin. Maybe this will be to your liking?

Question: Why do some of the bottles/boxes have related images in black (Sel Marin - anchor, Cuir Pleine Fleur - fleur-de-lis, etc.) on them and others (Menthe Fraiche, Verveine, etc.) do not?

There is a name for those sorts of cut-out black pictures as well. Wish I could remember what it was.

Overall a nice collection IMO - generally an understated and refined approach and priced reasonably.

Some good stuff in here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/274738

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    There is a sort of transparency to much of the line I find appealing on paper and in passing but frustratingly transient and "flat" on skin. Maybe this will be to your liking?
    Well I try to keep an open mind, however I have a tendency to like more elaborate scents...

: Why do some of the bottles/boxes have related images in black (Sel Marin - anchor, Cuir Pleine Fleur - fleur-de-lis, etc.) on them and others (Menthe Fraiche, Verveine, etc.) do not?
    Good point, I would like to know it as well.

Thank you for your feedback Emlynevermore!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thank you for your contribution!

I have the entire collection from this house except the new one Hippie Rose and I love them all. IMO you can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have the entire collection from this house except the new one Hippie Rose and I love them all. IMO you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Thank you hednic, for dropping your opinion, cheers!

My favourite so far are Cuir Pleine Fleur, Sel Marin, Iris De Nuit and Cardinal but any of them worth at least a try. If you're into discreet fragrances you can't miss Heeley's creations.

CPF is apparently simple but very complex indeed, could be able to explain aerospace engineering to an infant!

Sel Marin This (together with Tirrenico by Profumi Del Forte) is what an Aquatic Fragrance should smell like in 2011. No Cool Water clones.

Cardinal Citrusy Frankincense. Transparent, confortable and absolutely compelling.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    My favourite so far are Cuir Pleine Fleur, Sel Marin, Iris De Nuit and Cardinal but any of them worth at least a try. If you're into discreet fragrances you can't miss Heeley's creations.

CPF is apparently simple but very complex indeed, could be able to explain aerospace engineering to an infant!

Sel Marin This (together with Tirrenico by Profumi Del Forte) is what an Aquatic Fragrance should smell like in 2011. No Cool Water clones.

Cardinal Citrusy Frankincense. Transparent, confortable and absolutely compelling.
    Thank you alfarom! nice feedback !!

Basenotes Plus

Iris de Nuit has always been my favourite. Very natural smelling, non-powdery, and completely unisex IMHO. Sillage is moderate but the amber / cedar base has tenacious longevity. Lovely stuff.

Hello Basenoters,

I have received today my samples from J. Heeley, please see below my first impressions:

- Espirit du Tigre - Refreshing, spice, bold, a paradox between hot and cold, Love it!

- Figuier - The best fig scent I ever smelled, Licorice, creamy - Love it!

- Cardinal - Woodsy, smoky, lot's of vetiver going on here - Beautiful!!!

- St. Clements - Postmodern version of the Classic Eau Sauvage - Love it!

- Cuir Pleine fleur - Green notes mixed with Suede leather, very elegant - like it!

- Mente Fraiche - Flat, tooth paste, - Frederic Malle with Geranium pour monsieur does a much better Job!

- Iris de Nuit - Male version of Dior Homme - Love it!

- Verveine - Calming, Fresh, Herbal, Green en Gorgeous!!! - Love it!!

- Ophelia - Tuberose Cologne, Gorgeous - Love it!

- Sel Marin - Horrible aquatic, I can not digest the bitter note, Urg!!! - I will pass this one

These were my First impressions on the house of James Heeley.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Hello Basenoters,

I have received today my samples from J. Heeley, please see below my first impressions:

- Espirit du Tigre - Refreshing, spice, bold, a paradox between hot and cold, Love it!

- Figuier - The best fig scent I ever smelled, Licorice, creamy - Love it!

- Cardinal - Woodsy, smoky, lot's of vetiver going on here - Beautiful!!!

- St. Clements - Postmodern version of the Classic Eau Sauvage - Love it!

- Cuir Pleine fleur - Green notes mixed with Suede leather, very elegant - like it!

- Mente Fraiche - Flat, tooth paste, - Frederic Malle with Geranium pour monsieur does a much better Job!

- Iris de Nuit - Male version of Dior Homme - Love it!

- Verveine - Calming, Fresh, Herbal, Green en Gorgeous!!! - Love it!!

- Ophelia - Tuberose Cologne, Gorgeous - Love it!

- Sel Marin - Horrible aquatic, I can not digest the bitter note, Urg!!! - I will pass this one

That were my First impressions on the house of James Heeley.

Thank you.
    I agree (more or less) on everything except on Sel Marin. I get a strong vetiver together with a salty note and bergamot. Nothing really bitter...give it a second chance, do it for me

I totally agree on Sel marin, was a stinker. Today I got a sample of Hippie flower, not bad, but nothing I have to buy.

Question: Why do some of the bottles/boxes have related images in black (Sel Marin - anchor, Cuir Pleine Fleur - fleur-de-lis, etc.) on them and others (Menthe Fraiche, Verveine, etc.) do not?

There is a name for those sorts of cut-out black pictures as well. Wish I could remember what it was.
    Silhouette ?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I agree (more or less) on everything except on Sel Marin. I get a strong vetiver together with a salty note and bergamot. Nothing really bitter...give it a second chance, do it for me
    Hello alfarom I will give Sel Marin tomorrow a second chance, maybe my nose was tired at the end of the day, cheers1

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    I totally agree on Sel marin, was a stinker. Today I got a sample of Hippie flower, not bad, but nothing I have to buy.
    Hello MrAndySais, how have you ordered Hippie Flower? As on James Heeley web site it is not available...

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    Vielen Dank!!!

Arrow Re: House James Heeley - Opinions Please

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Silhouette ?
    Well, yes.

Still, I could have sworn there was a fancier name for them, involving "wood" or "block" or perhaps something painfully artsy.

Maybe just my (overactive) imagination. Thanks.

The ones I found both delightful and unique were Espirit du Tigre and Cuir Pleine Fleur. Some of the others I found nice enough but there was always a similar fragrance I liked more ( Menthe Fraiche I liked less than Geranium PH; Cardinal I liked less than Avignon; Ophelia I liked less than, well, dozens of florals ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The ones I found both delightful and unique were Espirit du Tigre and Cuir Pleine Fleur.

Agreed, Espirit du Tigre is very Bold and Cuir Pleine Fleur very Refine.

the others I found nice enough but there was always a similar fragrance I liked more ( Menthe Fraiche I liked less than Geranium PH
    I could not agree more with you.

Cardinal I liked less than Avignon
    I have not smell Avignon yet, let you know once once I smell it.

Ophelia I liked less than, well, dozens of florals ).
    I don't like Iris, as reminds me lipctick, I know there are plenty of nice Iris frags out there, however this one has a fresh approach, which I consider as postmodern;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I have not smell Avignon yet, let you know once once I smell it.
    Avignon is the real deal if compared to Cardinal.

Didn't know about his previous business.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/JAMES-HEELEY-...5de8534&_uhb=1
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Holy bump from the past.

St. Clements and Hippie Rose are strong favorites of mine, followed closely by Cardinal and Cuir Pleine Fleur. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Heeley's Extraits de Parfum line, specifically L'Amandiere and Bubblegum Chic (both a bit love-or-hate, but very high quality).