Code of Conduct

Default Making a mockery of my expensive fragrances...

Today I bought a fragrance which has frankly really surprised me by how good it is.

Old Spice Whitewater.

No, I can't believe I just wrote that either.

It's really really nice and smells much better than it ought to. Try it, hell, buy it at that price...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Making a mockery of my expensive fragrances...

There's no mockery - price tag isn't always representative of whether you'll enjoy a fragrance. There are a few Bath & Body Works scents that I enjoy (Indian Vetiver, Vanilla Noir, and a few others) that cost $24/100ml and there are cheapo Estee Lauder fragrances (Azuree, Aliage) that I consider to be among the best one can purchase today.

I think the same thing about Mustang by Dorall. Others, such as Everlast Original 1910, weren't meant to be sold for $10 or less, so that's a totally different situation.

The longevity is pretty damned good actually, it drys down to a really nice aura which others notice more than you do, but I think that's because you just get used to it being there. It smells masculine and warm and rich although it has a really aquatic feel to it when it opens.

Seriously, for the fistful of dollars (if that) it's worth it. It smells as good as Hamptons and lasts a hell of a lot longer.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

AromiErotici

Isn't it awesome to stumble upon really inexpensive frags that are as good ( in their own way) as your high-end ones?

I love finding juice like that.

Thank you for sharing. Yes, price is not always a good indicator of quality or longevity.

Some of those smell-alike (drugstore/chemists) fragrances are better than the real thing.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Considering that most perfume (even the good stuff) costs little to nothing to make, it doesn't surprise me at all...

Smile Re: Making a mockery of my expensive fragrances...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Today I bought a fragrance which has frankly really surprised me by how good it is.

Old Spice Whitewater.

It's really really nice and smells much better than it ought to. Try it, hell, buy it at that price...
    HDS:

Could you be so kind to elaborate on the notes of this Whitewater? Also, do you have any opinions concerning P&G Old Spice versus Shulton Old Spice? Old Spice and Tabac Original have been on my radar screen for some time now.

And yes, I absolutely agree that price is no indication of quality.

Expensive is not better. Inexpensive is not better. Better is Better!

But of course, what one considers better is a matter of taste.

Thanks for sharing!

TJ

I had started a thread a few years regarding fragrances dropped into the garbage bin.Whitewater was my only and last that I have ever treated that way.More <drugstore> compared to <drugstore> fragrances.
    I would describe its colour as RADIOACTIVE BLUE...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

HDS1963 I share you enthusiasm for great inexpensive finds as well!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    HDS:

Could you be so kind to elaborate on the notes of this Whitewater? Also, do you have any opinions concerning P&G Old Spice versus Shulton Old Spice? Old Spice and Tabac Original have been on my radar screen for some time now.

And yes, I absolutely agree that price is no indication of quality.

Expensive is not better. Inexpensive is not better. Better is Better!

But of course, what one considers better is a matter of taste.

Thanks for sharing!

TJ
    I've never tried (or even heard) of Whitewater so I'd also like to hear some elaborate thoughts on that frag. I might be able to help a little with P&G vs Shulton Old Spice, though. The old bottle of OS that I found in my dad's closet is loaded with very deep, rich spices and is very long lasting and fairly linear. I seem to recall the base mellowing out with some balsamic notes but it's been awhile since I tried the frag and I couldn't be sure about that. On the other hand, the P&G stuff has a more harsh, alcoholic opening and the spices fade away very quickly to a powdery vanillic base. There's a huge difference in quality, the P&G stuff smells way cheaper than the old version, I also get the impression that P&G altered the formula to make it conform more to modern standards of male orientals. I don't think the new formula old spice is very good compared to the old but it's still alright considering the price you pay for it. IMO Royall Spice is a significant improvement for a few dollars more and I would recommend it over P&G Spice any day. Hope this helps.

Post Re: Making a mockery of my expensive fragrances...

Once again proof that It's not the cost of a fragrance, but rather how the fragrance is perceived by the wearer.
    Last edited by Ron199; 3rd October 2009 at 10:02 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Once again proof that It's not the cost of a fragrance, but rather how the fragrance is perceived by the wearer.
    Unadulterated truth right here.

Old Spice Whitewater.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to admit this at all. Old Spice makes a good product. Another example: have you tried Old Spice's " Old Spice Fresh Scent" after shave? It's awesome! It's not a complex scent by any means, but it's an incredibly refreshing, classic citrus scent that lasts a good 6 hours on my skin! And it's not a generic smelling eau de cologne scent either. I'd wear it over a lot of much more expensive scents.

On the Shulton v. P&G formulations, I too notice a big difference. In general, the Shulton is richer, warmer, sweeter and smoother than the PG version. The PG version has a sharper, more citrus based opening, and is just not as rich as the early version. I prefer the old version, but the P&G version is still good. It still smells like Old Spice!

I love this thread! I also agree with everything being said. It should always be about the fragrance, not the "coolness" factor i.e. whether it's niche or extremely expensive. I wasn't aware of the new Old Spice but am now curious enough to at least check it out.

I no longer own colognes like English Leather but have been tempted to buy another bottle several times. It's a cheap oldie but goodie, and I still love the smell. It reminds me of the times when I wore it in high school and the girls noticed (in a positive way!).

I've got to be honest, I haven't got the faintest idea what the actual notes are, it's redolent of many fragrances I have in my fragrance wardrobe. It's got bits of many things like Opus 1870, Cool Water a bit of well, lots of other things, but it all just works really well.

It's a kind of fresh aquatic fougere if that makes any sense at all, it also has a kind of oriental feel when it dries down. I admit, I am confused, but I do really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I've never tried (or even heard) of Whitewater so I'd also like to hear some elaborate thoughts on that frag. I might be able to help a little with P&G vs Shulton Old Spice, though. The old bottle of OS that I found in my dad's closet is loaded with very deep, rich spices and is very long lasting and fairly linear. I seem to recall the base mellowing out with some balsamic notes but it's been awhile since I tried the frag and I couldn't be sure about that. On the other hand, the P&G stuff has a more harsh, alcoholic opening and the spices fade away very quickly to a powdery vanillic base. There's a huge difference in quality, the P&G stuff smells way cheaper than the old version, I also get the impression that P&G altered the formula to make it conform more to modern standards of male orientals. I don't think the new formula old spice is very good compared to the old but it's still alright considering the price you pay for it. IMO Royall Spice is a significant improvement for a few dollars more and I would recommend it over P&G Spice any day. Hope this helps.
    I am loving this thread. Thank you monsieur_sparkle!

Your post confirms what I have heard about the P&G reformulation of Old Spice versus Shulton. The original Shulton can still be had and I will definitely check out your recommendation of Royall Spice as well.

Love the oldies but goodies.

Best,

TJ

Old Spice Whitewater.

Hell, I wouldn't dare to touch something like that. It would ruin everything that I have worked so hard for. It would change all my thinking of how a niche fragrance is and should be vs drugstore ones. I would forever ruin my....But, enjoy your newly found happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't dare to touch something like that. It would ruin everything that I have worked so hard for. It would change all my thinking of how a niche fragrance is and should be vs drugstore ones. I would forever ruin my....But, enjoy your newly found happiness.
    I'm getting a mental image of LuckyLuke dashing a bottle of Amouage to the ground in rage after smelling Old Spice.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

...There's a huge difference in quality, the P&G stuff smells way cheaper than the old version, I also get the impression that P&G altered the formula to make it conform more to modern standards of male orientals. I don't think the new formula old spice is very good compared to the old but it's still alright considering the price you pay for it....
    I quite agree with monsieur_sparkle's assessment. I grew up around the Shulton formulation, as that was all my Dad ever used. And, yes, the P&G formula appears slightly altered, but it generally stays true to the original. Anyone whose only experience of OS is with the P&G version should not be considered very short-changed. I use the P&G formula now and enjoy it, having overcome the difference.

Tabac Original is another classic that proves the rule that quality and price are not always directly correlated. However, it is the Cologne that should be sought, as the EDT does not hold a candle to the original. A screechy flanker, IMO.

Royall Spice is an improvement i actually avoided acquiring because of my sentimental ties to OS

Nice post, HDS1963.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 4th October 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm getting a mental image of LuckyLuke dashing a bottle of Amouage to the ground in rage after smelling Old Spice.
    Hahah! No chance, because my mind has already been very well neuromarketed-A hundred dollar bill always smells better to me than a ten dollar bill-

Let's just say this thread cheers up quite a few of us. What I notice about the great cheapos is that they are unapologetically and clearly linked to "grooming." Shaving. Starting the day. They are not about "clubbing" or status...or of allegedly more evolved artistic sense.

In addition to the mentioned OS and EL, I have become a Brut regular. And yes the Whitewater is/was fine.
    Last edited by ortho123; 4th October 2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I love this thread! I also agree with everything being said. It should always be about the fragrance, not the "coolness" factor i.e. whether it's niche or extremely expensive. I wasn't aware of the new Old Spice but am now curious enough to at least check it out.

I no longer own colognes like English Leather but have been tempted to buy another bottle several times. It's a cheap oldie but goodie, and I still love the smell. It reminds me of the times when I wore it in high school and the girls noticed (in a positive way!).
    I think there comes a point in fragrance collecting where you go through the top end designer, then niche and then where do you go? I've kind of deconstructed my snobbishness and would quite happily reach for this after shaving as I would anything else in my rather extensive and indeed expensive fragrance wardrobe.

Don't get me wrong my next expensive purchase is Original Santal, which is the only Creed I like...

I always find getting a little inexpensive gem satisfying, it's like finding a 20 dollar bill in an old jacket

Hahah! No chance, because my mind has already been very well neuromarketed-A hundred dollar bill always smells better to me than a ten dollar bill-
    LOL Hells ya!:wave:

I had a bottle of Whitewater in my pre-Basenotes days and remember not really liking it too much but getting compliments on it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I grew up around the Shulton formulation, as that was all my Dad ever used.
    Same here. My mother tried to get my father to try another fragrance once (Azzaro Chrome, I believe). No go. It was back to Old Spice. I actually keep a bottle of it in my refrigerated collection for when my parents visit me (since the TSA gang won't allow my Dad's bottle on the plane). I even find myself using it occasionally, although I'm not a fan of splash bottles at all.

Another cheap-o fragrance I use occasionally is Adidas Moves. It smells great. I just have to be careful because it can go a bit sour in the drydown, so I usually have something waiting on deck to cover it up.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 5th October 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Would our perception of Brut or Old Spice change as drugstore's fragrance if they're discontinued and became as rare as Havana or Andron? After all, Jovan's Andron was a mere 20 bucks purchase and readily availble at Longs Drugs (that was where I bought my last bottle of Andron).
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 5th October 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Is it available in the States?

I'm afraid, though I subscribe to the fact that there are some good old "cheapies" for sure, I really did not like "Whitewater" at all. (But am glad that you do, after all that is what is importatnt !)
    As for me , I actually completely agree with "Discovolante's" very fitting "radioactive blue" assessment of it. That's spot-on ! And very much what I got too !) ...

I also cannot stand either old or new Old Spice. It was also the only frag my father (and uncles) ever wore (they didn't subscribe to a "rotation" (LOL)) ... And even back then I could not stand the way it smelled. (Though I do not think it a bad frag as such !)
    So I very persistently bought him a new fragrance every xmas & birthday, in the hope that one would finally catch on. But to my utter chagrin they/he never did !!!
    (I cannot even understand how someone could wear just the one single scent their entire life ???)

As for Brut ... I'm sorry but that stuff should be banned by law ! ... That is definitely not one of the "oldie goodie" ones ! It's simply a "cheapo cheapie" one in every way ! ... I think that stuff is downright embarrassing ! ... I literally would not be caught dead in it !
    (Sorry, all you guys who luv and wear it ! ... It's not my wish to upset or insult your choice. But it's just honestly how I feel about it ! I think that stuff is just plain nasty ! And certainly not even worth half the little it costs )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 5th October 2009 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I'm afraid, though I subscribe to the fact that there are some good old "cheapies" for sure, I really did not like Whitewater at all. (And I completely agree with "Discovolante's" very fitting "radioactive blue" assessment. That is sooo spot-on ! ) ...

I also cannot stand either old or new Old Spice. It was also the only frag my father and uncles ever wore (they didn't subscribe to a "rotation" (LOL)) ... And even back then I could not stand the way it smelled. (Though I do not think it a bad frag as such !)
    So I very persistently bought him a new fragrance every xmas & birthday, in the hope that one would finally catch on. But to my utter chagrin they/he never bloody did !!!
    (I cannot even understand how someone could wear just one scent their entire life ???)

As for Brut ... I'm sorry but that stuff should be banned by law ! ... That is definitely not one of the "oldie goodie" ones ! It's simply a "cheapo cheapo" one in every way ! ... I think that stuff is embarrassing ! ... I literally would not be caught dead in it !
    (Sorry, all you guys who luv and wear it ! ... It's not my wish to upset or insult you. But it's just honestly how I feel about it ! )
    How dare you insult Joe Namath!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQT6mdMnH0

Where can I get a bottle of this stuff?

I still have some Old Spice Leather that smells just wonderful. It's 20ish years old and still holding up.
    I was on a long bike ride with a friend and upon catching his draft I caught a waft of his cologne. It was Gillette Cool Wave. I went out and bought some that day.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
    how dare you insult joe namath!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqt6mdmnh0
    (lol) :d

I fondly remember my Dad's Old Spice (of course, I may actually be fondly remembering my Dad), my own experience with Old Spice experience is limited to the recent purchase of their pre-electric shave lotion, which ended up in the trash due to being un b/w earable.

I suppose Whitewater was popular with Republicans in the 1990s
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I'm afraid, though I subscribe to the fact that there are some good old "cheapies" for sure, I really did not like "Whitewater" at all. (But am glad that you do, after all that is what is importatnt !)
    As for me , I actually completely agree with "Discovolante's" very fitting "radioactive blue" assessment of it. That's spot-on ! And very much what I got too !) ...

I also cannot stand either old or new Old Spice. It was also the only frag my father (and uncles) ever wore (they didn't subscribe to a "rotation" (LOL)) ... And even back then I could not stand the way it smelled. (Though I do not think it a bad frag as such !)
    So I very persistently bought him a new fragrance every xmas & birthday, in the hope that one would finally catch on. But to my utter chagrin they/he never did !!!
    (I cannot even understand how someone could wear just the one single scent their entire life ???)

As for Brut ... I'm sorry but that stuff should be banned by law ! ... That is definitely not one of the "oldie goodie" ones ! It's simply a "cheapo cheapie" one in every way ! ... I think that stuff is downright embarrassing ! ... I literally would not be caught dead in it !
    (Sorry, all you guys who luv and wear it ! ... It's not my wish to upset or insult your choice. But it's just honestly how I feel about it ! I think that stuff is just plain nasty ! And certainly not even worth half the little it costs )
    LOL

Sybarite:

Even though you think Brut should be banned by law, perhaps with good reason, I think I will give it a go, provided that I am absolutely certain that I can return it for a full refund.

To quote Rocky from FragranceNet:

I've been wearing this wonderfull explosion of sweet nector for 53 years now. 17 or 70 years old, I still get all the sweet ladies. Watch out girls, Rocky is coming!!!
    Written by Rocky F.

Based on Rocky's review, I must give the the Brut a go!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    LOL

Sybarite:

Even though you think Brut should be banned by law, perhaps with good reason, I think I will give it a go, provided that I am absolutely certain that I can return it for a full refund.

To quote Rocky from FragranceNet:

I've been wearing this wonderfull explosion of sweet nector for 53 years now. 17 or 70 years old, I still get all the sweet ladies. Watch out girls, Rocky is coming!!!
    Written by Rocky F.

Based on Rocky's review, I must give the the Brut a go!
    I don't know why he thinks that Brut should be banned by law. Brut is a wonderful fragrance. My sister inlaw almost jumped me once because she loved that scent on me. But I had her under control. She's hot, btw, but I had my mind on someone else (I swear on this and am not making it up).

I don't know why he thinks that Brut should be banned by law. Brut is a wonderful fragrance. My sister inlaw almost jumped me once because she loved that scent on me. But I had her under control. She's hot, btw, but I had my mind on someone else (I swear on this and am not making it up).
    I believe you. I was talking to a female colleague when some guy walked past wearing Brut...and she almost immediately commented very positively...

I think what Brut has going for it is its aromatic fougere status...the hub on the fragrance wheel...like the cradle of scent civilization. A bit tawdry? Yes, and loving it. Lucas Turin terms it a "cheap fougere"...but I would wear this over Rive Gauche any day....

I like Agua Brava and Aqua Velva
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I like Agua Brava and Aqua Velva
    Agua Brava is great. I prefer it to Pino Silvestre and even Quorum.

As for Aqua Velva, I recall a woman in Madrid (El Corte Ingles) actually recommending it to me and commenting how much she liked it. She was not joking with me, appealing to my being American because we spoke the whole time in Spanish and I was perfectly willing and able to make higher priced purchases.

If the height of passion if restraint, "trying too hard" scentwise is perhaps the ultimate turnoff.

Old Spice Whitewater.

I love Whitewater and will sing it's praises anytime, period. It is very unique and almost always gets a compliment. Nice stuff.
    I love Jasmine.