Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance lovers must read!

I remembered this interesting article which talks about the importance of the price (niche and higher-end desginer) to the perceive quality of the ingredients.
    I just thought this would be an interesting read and to provoke thinking!

I don't know when this was posted but I remember reading it before I came to BN.
    http://www.health24.com/article.asp?contentID=43710

Default Re: Fragrance lovers must read!

Thank you for sharing this. It's just basic psychology of marketing.

Having worked in retail, I can tell you designer brands are made by the same companies. Just a different label, for instance, slapped on the backside of the jeans. It's the label you're paying for and there is usu. (usually...) no difference in quality.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th October 2009 at 12:05 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Price tag doesn't fool the brain when you have no money!

The thing this theory doesn't take into account is the design price. Something designed by Karl Lagerfeld has inherent value because it came from his brain. Exclusivity also has a price. So does edition size. And yes, the ingredients in certain niche brands are more costly than designer. I think that Chanel No. 5 is one of the most under priced fragrance out there. $100 for 7.5ml parfum extrait is a bargain any way you look at it considering the quality of the jasmine and the rose that go into its formula. Ultimately something only has real value if you believe in it. But abstracted ideas can have value just like concrete objects, no?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th October 2009 at 05:43 AM.

no wonder so many people around my country that think using hugo boss makes them classier just because they pay a lil more lol

This book contains a great chapter dedicated to fragrances addressing, among other things, the quality of raw ingredients (very complimentary towards Chanel & Hermes), use of naturals & synthetics, packaging, pre-made formulas (not so complimentary to V&R Flowerbomb), briefing given to creators, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-How-L...8&sr=8-2-fkmr0
    Last edited by Anthracite; 4th October 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Actually, I've heard about similar techniques already towards the end of high school, which was quite a few years ago. So marketing techniques of this sort are nothing new. At any rate, there is always the issue of products with an elastic or an inelastic demand, meaning that their changes of price can or can't change the demand. Yet, if exclusiveness and costliness were such a major attraction factor, speaking strictly of frags now, then why do so many people still prefer to get their scents discounted and do so with the (justified, substantiated) satisfaction of having made a profitable deal?

I believe USUALLY you get what you pay for, although that does'nt mean something of lesser quality is not a good product at all. Although I do believe that advertising and marketing has some degree of Psychological manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. It's just basic psychology of marketing.

Having worked in retail, I can tell you designer brands are made by the same companies. Just a different label, for instance, slapped on the backside of the jeans. It's the label you're paying for and there is usu. (usually...) no difference in quality.
    Very good point. Having worked in retail as well, one particular story really stands out for me. I worked for a good while as a shoe salesman in a large sporting goods store, and I was once told that the top 7 or 8 athletic shoe brands are all made by the same guy that owns this company in I believe China (though I could be wrong). I don't doubt that each brand has positives and negatives to their technology used in their shoes, I myself am particular to Asics for running, but the quality of materials is all the same.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

well in my opinion if you look at some colognes, you get what you pay for, i mean look at colognes of lets say puma or adidas, theyre cheap in addition to lets say bulgari aqua...but theyre cheap because they actually dont last at all if you ask me

some are quite bullshit though, where i live cologne is kinda expensive and what yall pay for over there in the US, lets say Rochas Man 100 ml is in the US what 40 bucks? well here the same cologne will cost you around 65-75 bucks

Basenotes Institution

It's the same with sunglasses- most of the top brand names are made by one sunglasses factory in Euorpe save for good ole Chanel who have held out .
    I know ,( abit of insider info passed on, to clueless me, last year ) that companies give this particular factory miliions of euros up front ,to produce their sunglasses for them . If you see similarities in your Guccis, Diors etc- then it's because they are most likely produced at the same place.

I hate to admit it but marketing really does work . It appeals to people,to think, they are buying something worth abit more.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I know there are so many different fragrances out there but as known to industry insiders, most of the fragrances out there are really produced by the Big 6. It won't even surprise now as to why pretty much all fruity-florals smell nearly alike, some of them are probably just variants of the same perfume but marketed under completely different labels!
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon