Code of Conduct

Question Gianfranco Ferré for Man (1986)

Hello folks!

This scent by Gianfranco Ferre has recently caught my attention and interest, but unfortunately it's not available here where I live so I need your assistance. Is there another scent(s) on the market which bares considerable resemblance to this one? How different is it to Trussardi Uomo and Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme? How strong is it's fir note?

I'd appreciate a lot if you could share your opionions on this scent. Thanks!

Tero

Default Re: Gianfranco Ferré for Man (1986)

I have also been interested in this fragrance, but as yet have not tried it.

If you are having difficulty in getting it, I know that it is available from Fragrancex with free shipping to anywhere in world.

the new ferre reminds me a bit of a less impressive version of paul smith's story. its fresh, peppery and where story is more ivy/vetiver based, the ferre gets quite woody. maybe an azzaro visit light, with lesser nutmeg influence?

kim

GF Man is a good scent, but it is VERY MUCH a 1980s scent - it's got the standard green moss base like just about every other 80s scent, as well as the typical lemon/leather/herbal vibe that you smell in so many other 80s scents (e.g., Quorum, Fendi Uomo, etc.). It's pretty heavy and rich, slightly sweet, and well constructed. I'd call it an "80s Aristocrat" scent I like it and do wear it on occasion, but to my nose, it's a bit stuck in a time warp.

This scent is widely available all over the web. I can't begin to name how many vendors have it, and I don't know which countries they will ship to. Just to start, I've seen it at FragranceX, PerfumeLa, CosmeticMall, etc., etc.. It's really easy to find. Cheap too!
    Last edited by shamu1; 4th October 2009 at 02:28 PM.

sorry! i read the date wrong. i thought the original post was regarding the new ferre for men that came out in the last few years.

better get my coffee.

kim

the old ferre smells very good...i used to wear it........i think it came in a black and gold bottle...

It is a "subdued powerhouse": very very strong at first and settling down into a sort of talcum powder drydown which does not offend at all. In these terms, it is similar to Leonard pour Homme (original), top notes with an amazing sillage lasting minutes, and afterwards, talcum powder - like mid notes of very classic nature but somehow fememine.

Take note that I am tracing an analogy between Ferre and Leonard, which is misleading since this last one does have clear points in common with VC&A: Ferre does not.

In these terms, Ferre is more akin to the mid and base notes to be found in CK's Obsession and Karl Lagerfeld's original pour homme with a more femenine "old school" lady accords. Even though I like it, I would not dare to say it is a scent easily enjoyed by everybody.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    It is a "subdued powerhouse": very very strong at first and settling down into a sort of talcum powder drydown which does not offend at all. In these terms, it is similar to Leonard pour Homme (original), top notes with an amazing sillage lasting minutes, and afterwards, talcum powder - like mid notes of very classic nature but somehow fememine.

Take note that I am tracing an analogy between Ferre and Leonard, which is misleading since this last one does have clear points in common with VC&A: Ferre does not.

In these terms, Ferre is more akin to the mid and base notes to be found in CK's Obsession and Karl Lagerfeld's original pour homme with a more femenine "old school" lady accords. Even though I like it, I would not dare to say it is a scent easily enjoyed by everybody.
    Now you got me even more interested in this scent Trussardi Uomo and VC&A pour homme are no-no's for me, so I'm happy to read that this Ferre one is not so similar to them. But I'd still like know whether there is any scent that smells very close to Ferre for man or not...? Can anyone help?

I have used a few mini's of this & can say its very different to Trussardi Uomo & even more to VC&A .
    GF 1986 is an extremely woody chypre , green sharp zesty are some words i use to best describe it .
    I wouldn't say its Fir heavy in the base .

GCA its definately worth trying & getting a mini should be fairly easy of Ebay .
    cheers

I just finished my bottle of ferre for man(1986). it is very luxurious frag. the transformation from top notes to base is amazing. it opens with citrus top notes , turns green/forest in the middle and end with lovely leather. it is not a powerhouse frag, but sillage and longevity are fine. it is a sophisticated frag, or as shamu1 said, aristocratic scent. i dont think i can associate it to any other frag, it is unique.
    Last edited by damon; 5th October 2009 at 04:51 PM.

It has a lot of qualities that mens frags from the 80s have. My best description would be that it's like a cross between VCA and Fendi Uomo, to my nose. It's got the formality and darkness of VCA, but not the sharpness or austerity. It's got the mossy base and citrus and leather vibe that Fendi has, but it's not as sweet, heavy or spicy. I like GF a lot better than Fendi - I don't really like Fendi Uomo. Just my two cents...

yes i concur with damon ... the transformation is incredible as it goes into its woody earthy stages in the heart & base .
    I also agree with you shamu1 , its better than Fendi Uomo .

i wonder who still sells it?

Quote Originally Posted by PELCO69 View Post
    i wonder who still sells it?
    Just about every online perfume vendor I've visited seems to have GF Man. It's an easy to find and inexpensive frag. See my earlier post for a list of some that I know have it. Plus, I believe it's still in production.