Code of Conduct

Default Cuir de Lancome - please tell me more

I'm intrigued by this one but it looks I might have no choice but to buy it unsniffed as I can only track it down online. Lancome proved to be predictably unhelpful - limited edition, sold out, no you can't have a sample. They wouldn't even tell me the nearest counter that stocked it (I figured there might still be a tester knocking about that I could smell).

The reviews that I read so far seem pretty varied. Turin describes it as woody leather, some folks find it plush, some medicinal. I'd like to read more of your opinions/impressions to form a better idea. I'm somewhat familiar with Bandit and Cuir de Russie so any comparisons with those would be particularly helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Cuir de Lancome - please tell me more

I recently went through the discovery process you outline. Many opinions and reviews. I blind bought this fragrance and I quite like it. It is a leather fragrance that is unisex and very wearable by a man or woman. Early on their is a bit of medicinal aspect but not off putting, the total experience is quite nice. You mentioned Bandit and this fragrance IMO is much better although I am not familiar with the Chanel product so, for that, no comment. Some on-line sellers have it very affordably priced given it's retail price. This was my first leather scent so I was a bit leary but all turned out well. I would recommend this fragrance. I hope this message is in some small way helpful.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 5th October 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Default Re: Cuir de Lancome - please tell me more

I bought mine blind in TKMaxx.

Read the reviews on BN and The Guide.

A very wearable leather, unisex oriental spicy a great buy.

No Cuir de Russie is much smoother and softer.

Bandit is very raw compared to CdL.

If you like both Bandit and CdR I will say you will like CdL.
    Last edited by donna255; 5th October 2009 at 02:00 PM.
    DONNA

I found it a bit heavy on the amber...very nostalgic, very beautiful, soft leather, but not "me".

On me, it's medicinal/ balsamic up top, and ambery and vanillic on the drydown. It's a warm, golden leather. By point of contrast, Bandit is a raunchy green (on me) leather and Cabochard a tobacco-y leather. Does this help?
    Last edited by soirdelune; 5th October 2009 at 02:54 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Thanks, guys! Definitely helpful, the fact that you describe it as both wearable and ambery/oriental makes it sound pretty promising, I think it could be right up my street.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming

Hm. Have they, by any chance, made an announcement regarding d cant swapping yet? Once it's deemed to be kosher to do so, I think I might know of one I'd like to try....(whistles innocently)
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Yay! I found a really cheap CdL today at eBay! Not purchased it yet (broke) but I will next month if it's still there... I only hope so... :bounce:

If you want a sample drop me a PM. Personally I think it's a lot like the vintage version of Chanel CdR but woth a less herbal aroma. Smooth and straightforward with good sillage/longevity. It's very easy to find on ebay for under $60 (do NOT pay more then $60).

Note to the fuzz: I'm offering a *free* sample, not soliciting decant sales.
    Last edited by heynow; 5th October 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Just bought this blind today at Winners (Canadian version of TJ Maxx). Based on what I'd read about it, I'd guessed it would be up my alley but now I'm absolutely in love. One of my best blind buys ever. I've not tried Cuir de Russie but if you like Bandit, I'd say you'll enjoy this one too.
    Last edited by Anna_P; 5th October 2009 at 09:12 PM.

I'm a green leather chypre gal, so I did not find CdL satisfying. It was actually quite nice for the first hour or so (clean and spicy), but for me, it fell apart soon after, smelling thin and of cinnamon potpourri. It has been a while since I sampled it, so I hope I might change my mind. However, I have Cuir de Russie, and I doubt this will displace it!

Thanks again, everyone. I decided to take up heynow on his incredibly kind offer so I'm looking forward to trying this in the future.

Can I just add that I'm really touched by how lovely and helpful BN'ers have been so far (someone also offered to pick up a bottle of this from their local TK Maxx for me) even though I've barely been posting 5 mins. I'm a long-time lurker but I'm glad that I finally took the plunge and started joining in the conversations. I hope I will be able to start returning the favours soon

That's great that you have a sample on the way. Otherwise, had you been based in London, and free to be in Euston just before 5pm tomorrow, I could have given you a sample in person, as I am passing through at that time. Which clearly would have been no help at all if you are in fact based in Truro or Dunoon and work the late shift.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I need your help BNers!!!

I just found a pretty good deal on CdL!! Dirt cheap and with dirt cheap shipping costs...

What do I do? What do I do???? I'm not familiar with leathery scents (well, I do enjoy Habanita, but Knize Ten is a bit harsh on me... Like petrol harsh... )...

I'm just hearing raves from you guys, so I'm a bit undecided... Should I get it?

Baldufita, well, it is probably one of the most wearable leather fragrances I tried, even though it don't love it
    Last edited by Asha; 7th October 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Cuir de Lancome - please tell me more

Although no guarantee, I think you will like it and at the price you are indicating the risk is low. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I like it but, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    I need your help BNers!!!

I just found a pretty good deal on CdL!! Dirt cheap and with dirt cheap shipping costs...

What do I do? What do I do???? I'm not familiar with leathery scents (well, I do enjoy Habanita, but Knize Ten is a bit harsh on me... Like petrol harsh... )...

I'm just hearing raves from you guys, so I'm a bit undecided... Should I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Although no guarantee, I think you will like it and at the price you are indicating the risk is low. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I like it but, that's me.
    Thanks, Mr. Tesla! I'm just waiting confirmation that the seller ships indeed to Europe... The auction is a bit confusing regarding that... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Baldufita, well, it is probably one of the most wearable leather fragrances I tried, even though it don't love it

Thanks to you too, Asha!!

It's a great soft, leather frag. I just picked up a backup from Parfum1 for $30. I find it better and more wearable than Cuir de Russie.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

If its a good deal go for it. So far everyone who has bought, well 99% of them are loving it.

I jumped and bought a bottle of Magie, which was under 20 on ebay UK. It was just too good a deal not too buy. Its a blind buy for me, but with the success of Cuir why not.
    DONNA

This sounds lovely.... and ty to a lovely basenoter who offered to get a bottle from TK Maxx for me!
    Though I would love to sample this first and Bandit too (after all the comparisons), should anyone be able to help? Many thanks all!

If you want to try Bandit then I would recommend that you contact Piguet via their website. They were very generous and sent me two samples of every scent that they do when I only enquired about a couple.

Bandit is great. As already been mentioned it's a sharp, green leather. It doesn't sound like my sort of thing in theory but I actually like it a lot. It smells quite old-fashioned (in a good way) and is, imo, very unisex and would easily work on a man.

Oh that's good to hear... I will investigate! ^_^