Code of Conduct

Thread: Voleur de Roses

Default Voleur de Roses

Hello everyone, I'm new here, as you can probably tell. I've been lurking around on this site for a while and finally decided to join. My interest in perfume is new and I guess you could say i'm looking for one fragrance that can be "mine" i.e. I'm not looking to build a collection, at least not right now!

Anyway, a few days ago a recieved a sample of Voleur de Roses and I absolutely love it. The problem, it's way out of my budget. I'm a college freshman. So i'm wondering if you good people could recommend something similar, but less expensive and maybe more widely available? I've been snooping around on the internet but haven't come up with much.

Default Re: Voleur de Roses

First of all, congratulations on your comfort with wearing a "men's" scent. This was marketed as a men's scent but I find it very gender-neutral.

The archives state that Montale Black Oudh Light is similar to this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Maybe, but hardly cheaper.
    What do you think about Narcisco Rodriguez for Her?
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th October 2009 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Maybe, but hardly cheaper.
    What do you think about Narcisco Rodriguez for Her?
    Is this the EDT or the EDP? I hear the EDP has more staying power and I wonder what the differences are between the two.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I can't really think of anything similar that is any less expensive. You could look for decant at The Perfumed Court or at The Crystal Flacon. Or watch out for a bottle on BN Market Place. Good luck to you, you've got good taste.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Voleur de Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Is this the EDT or the EDP? I hear the EDP has more staying power and I wonder what the differences are between the two.
    The EDP is the one with the peach & rose. The EDT is a lighter floral (ylang ylang, I think) I prefer the EDP.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th October 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The EDP is the one with the peach & rose. The EDT is a lighter floral (ylang ylang, I think) I prefer the EDP.
    Thank you!!

I am fortunate to have the ability to generally accommodate my fragrance needs. But, not so long ago, that wasn't the case.

If you really like Voleur de Roses, I say either save up and go for it, or purchase smaller (but still sizeable) decants until you can pop for the 50ML. An 8ML decant will last you longer than you think.

If you really find something you like as much as you seem to like this one, I think everything else will seem a pale imitation, even if it's a great fragrance in and of itself.

You've entered a world here where it's hard to settle for something less than what you really like.

I'm very fond of masculine rose scents and I fear they're trickier to make and more costly as a result. More importantly, I think male rose scents are less "marketable" and more of a niche. Thus some of the lower cost perfumers avoid them.

Caraceni 1913, Montale Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, C&S No. 88, Egoiste all offer an interesting spin on masculine rose scents worthy of your consideration.

Voleur de Roses is very distinctive and sadly, wearing something that stands out often comes at a price.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th October 2009 at 04:51 AM.

Excellent post, StylinLA.

RosesBlue: I've seen Voleur de Roses pop up in the Items for Sale marketplace for reasonable prices this past summer. If I recall correctly someone was selling a 50ml 75% full for $45 or $50. I wish I would have pounced on it.

While i'm sure you don't have the time to constantly watch the BN sales for this fast moving item, I guess my point is you can probably find it at a more reasonable price than you think.

Ava Luxe has a scent called Queen Bess. It's not exactly Voleur de roses obviously,but it's quite close IMO

Save up for it. Or go find a college boyfriend and persuade him into buying it for you!

Thank you everyone for your tips and suggestions! I'll defently be perchasing a decant of Voleur de Roses. And now I have a good reason to save my money, instead of spending it like the irresponible college student that I am.

I think it's rather funny that I ended up loving a "men's" scent. I'm such a girly-girl. Luckyscent.com, where I ordered my sample, made no mention of it's gender. And when I put it on I didn't think "Oh God, I smell like a guy!" I actually had no idea it was marketed towards men until I came here. Knowing that doesn't change my presecption of the scent, nor the images that are conjured up when I smell it on myself.
    Last edited by RosesBlue; 6th October 2009 at 05:03 PM.