Code of Conduct

Default Why are there more men in the male section of BN than women in the female section?

Well, why are there?
    thread reviver

Default Re: Why are there more men in the male section of BN than women in the female section

This website is primarily men oriented. There are other fragrances sites geared more towards women.

Default Re: Why are there more men in the male section of BN than women in the female section

I suppose some women prefer places like MUA.

Basenotes Institution

I have always wondered this myself which is why I come over to see you guys so often. There are consistently more people in the male discussions than on the ladies' side. You guys talk and talk ! Very enthusiastic and you post new threads daily ,it seems, about all kinds of fragrances for men .
    Re. MUA - I prefer Basenotes which I don't think is male oriented at all. .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th October 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hilarious. Maybe BN needs to do some recruiting over at MUA.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Enlightening Tigrushka ! Thank you - so Basenotes was originally for men ...... I still find it very unisex though. I'm glad the 'boys' get to have their say and their discussions . The male discussion side is so interesting - I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your party sometimes .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th October 2009 at 04:36 PM.

I didn't know Basenotes were created for men, and only 2 years ago the female thread was introduced.I have always thought that it is a common sense that women wear makeup, and men wear perfume. As in Men are more into visual from women, and women are more into how they feel around this men. Make up enhance visual aspect on women, and perfume enhance "how they feel" around a men. What do u guys think ha?
    Last edited by djobeat; 6th October 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by djobeat View Post
    I didn't know Basenotes were created for men, and only 2 years ago the female thread was introduced.I have always thought that it is a common sense that women wear makeup, and men wear perfume. As in Men are more into visual from women, and women are more into how they feel around this men. Make up enhance visual aspect on women, and perfume enhance "how they feel" around a men. What do u guys think ha?
    Good observation. But men also love how women smell. I hope I don't live to see the day when men start obsessing over foundation and 'guy'liners...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I don't live to see the day when men start obsessing over foundation and 'guy'liners...
    This day has actually already passed my friend...and I'm damn proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Good observation. But men also love how women smell. I hope I don't live to see the day when men start obsessing over foundation and 'guy'liners...
    ahh...What worries me is I think i start to see men on the road wearing eyeliners around their eyes as well. I dont know if u guys see it too. These ppl thats a bit gothic, i think they call it scene kid or something.

Quote Originally Posted by djobeat View Post
    ...and only 2 years ago the female thread was introduced.
    "About two years" was Grant's answer in May of 2006, so the women's board has been around for nearly 5 now.

When I first found Basenotes, I never really noticed the proportion of men to women here. I just preferred the overall tone & discussion to that of other perfume boards I had visited.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    "About two years" was Grant's answer in May of 2006, so the women's board has been around for nearly 5 now.

When I first found Basenotes, I never really noticed the proportion of men to women here. I just preferred the overall tone & discussion to that of other perfume boards I had visited.
    darn I got caught failed at math in high school

This thread question comes every 3 months, or so it seems. I think a little reading here and there will get someone the answer to this very thought provoking question. Seriously though, there are more women on other sites. Thats part of the answer.

We men all have an inner child inside us.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I think some of us have gotten so used to that OTHER question (why is the entire BN community male-dominated?) that we missed the actual question here.

If I understand you correctly, sniffman, what you are wondering here is this:

Why do more men feel comfortable on the Female board than vice versa? For example, there are many gentlemen who read, post, and comment on the SotD thread on the ladies board every day. Even adjusted for the demographics of the whole site, there are fewer women who post on the Male SotD thread.

I don't know the answer. I think it's particularly curious because in most fashion, grooming, and beauty areas, women are more comfortable adopting the traditionally masculine than the other way around. We have some enlightened gentlemen here!

The only reason I can think of is that, despite this board's larger male membership, the world of fragrance and perfume is still dominated by products for women. Also, as the trend in modern perfumery gets sweeter and more aquatic, many historical and vintage women's fragrances become perceived as more unisex in appeal, and so many of our men here are interested in women's scents.

I confess that I only venture on the men's board sporadically, usually when I see a subject line that catches my eye. I don't know much about many marketed-to-men scents and therefore have little to add to the discussion. I even find that I leave many "Just Starting Out" threads without posting for this reason.

Hope that is more what you were asking!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I don't have an answer for that variation of sniffman's original question, but as far as my own experience goes, I always read the boards by clicking on the New Posts link and reading all of the threads that catch my eye, regardless (and usually ignorant) of what boards they're posted in. I don't post as much on the MFD, mainly for the reason Mo states, because I just don't know that much about marketed-to-men scents, either.
    Last edited by tang; 6th October 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    We men all have an inner child inside us.
    True that!

And +1 for a great answer from Mo!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It's a guy thing..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Cool Re: Why are there more men in the male section of BN than women in the female section

I think it a lot of it has to do with the fact that most guys here, truth be told, enjoy the finer things in life. That may sound snobbish to some, but I'm willing to bet it's true. I know I'm not the only guy on the board who enjoys fine food, fine liquor, fine clothes, nice jewelry and of course, fine cologne. Some guys on the board probably take it a step further with a fast expensive car or two, and maybe a fast woman or two!

I mentioned to a female co-worker that I post to this site and the reaction was "that's for people with nothing better to do". My reaction was that unlike other message boards and sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc., the people on this board can actually SPELL and form an intelligent thought. Not much negativity here either, which I like. Many people seem to spend every waking moment on those sites, where here folks post a few times a day or week. Fine for recreation.

Bottom line is that most women folk (young girls especially) want to be on the sites where networking and meeting people are the priority of the day. That's fine but most people out there (on the 'net that is) scare the hell out of me!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I think it a lot of it has to do with the fact that most guys here, truth be told, enjoy the finer things in life. That may sound snobbish to some, but I'm willing to bet it's true. I know I'm not the only guy on the board who enjoys fine food, fine liquor, fine clothes, nice jewelry and of course, fine cologne. Some guys on the board probably take it a step further with a fast expensive car or two, and maybe a fast woman or two!

I mentioned to a female co-worker that I post to this site and the reaction was "that's for people with nothing better to do". My reaction was that unlike other message boards and sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc., the people on this board can actually SPELL and form an intelligent thought. Not much negativity here either, which I like. Many people seem to spend every waking moment on those sites, where here folks post a few times a day or week. Fine for recreation.

Bottom line is that most women folk (young girls especially) want to be on the sites where networking and meeting people are the priority of the day. That's fine but most people out there (on the 'net that is) scare the hell out of me!
    Good thoughts Natch . I tend to agree with you. The people on this board are discerning ,articulate and thoughtful .