Code of Conduct

Default A Matter of Purchaser Discrimination

Go into your Wardrobe. Compare the number of owned bottles/decants to the number of total perfumes tried.

For example, I own 12 out of 148 tested (give or take the odd few I've forgotten about). I consider that pretty discriminating consumption -- and of course we all like to consider ourselves highly discerning perfumistas. But are you really?
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 7th October 2009 at 08:11 AM.

Default Re: A Matter of Purchaser Discrimination

Umm.... 29 out of 39. blind bought almost everything, unloaded 10. lol :\

Edit: Actual test list may be somewhere around 70ish.
    Last edited by TimothyX; 7th October 2009 at 08:36 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

My wardrobe isn't very accurate....but lets say 57 out of 150

Mine is about 63 out of 150 (some scents are not listed). However, I do lots of blind buy due to the lack of tester for some scents. I don't think I'm highly discriminating as I haven't got the ability to remember the details of scents I've tried.

If you can't remember it, it's probably supposed to be forgettable, zliang. True bottleworthies will at the very least capture your imagination and stick in your memory.

I didn't update my wardrobe recently, so one should at least add a few dozens or almost a 100 titles more in the "tested" (sadly not the "owned") section.

But for some (me!) there are plenty more on my wishlist that I can't afford at the moment. To do this accurately you need to add together the things you own and the things you plan on owning.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The wardrobe is still a mystery to me. I only put in the ones I have bought but they just show as 'tested' and I can't figure out how to move them . . . not that it really matters. I blind buy some but without getting into serious math and pulling out boxes I think I'm pretty discrimating, I always ask for lots of free samples when I order online or even in a store (25 years+ in Hong Kong, what can I tellya?) and have managed to avoid quite a few that looked good in reviews but didn't do it for me in the flesh.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th October 2009 at 03:03 PM.

185 tried.

36 owned. (And some of those are mistakes. In a couple of months it'll be down to more like 28.)

Nine serious wish list items that I'll buy eventually, taking me back to about 37.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 7th October 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

23 out of 90 tried but to clarify only 5 of them were bought post-Basenotes involvement. So I guess Basenotes has made me more discriminating...

I'm at 18 out of 70, though I've tried more than that, I'm sure. I'm quicker to add a new bottle to my owned list than I am to add something I've tested to the test list.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

9 out of 85. 4 were inexpensive blind buys, but I am very satisfied with 3 of them, and the other cost me like $15 and still serves an occasional purpose.

Of course, the 85 on my test list are just the ones I have at least skin tested (probably 4/5 of them I have had a sample of). There are probably another 50-60 that I just tested on paper and didn't like it enough to try a wearing of it, or that I have tried on my skin but didn't feel i had a good handle on it yet.

5 out of 268 tried. Not bad, but I suspect the ratio is lower than others due to lack of funds more than anything else.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Im not very discerning and often go off of reviews here. I'll boil it down and say 1 in 4. Too many blind buys.
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Off-Scenter

Hmm, 66 out of 720+ reviewed. (That doesn't count things I've tried that are not in the Basenotes Directory.) I'd say that's pretty picky, especially given the generous number of four and five star reviews I give out.

If I don't count those I'm going to be getting rid of soon it'll be 21 out of 268, or a 7% buy rate. Phrased differently, I buy about 1 in 14 scents I try.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more