Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default www.luxuryperfume.com - Anyone ever buy from this vendor?

I just found out about a fragrance vendor called www.luxuryperfume.com - really professional layout and great prices, but I'm always weary about vendors that sell fragrances at such low prices. For example, 50 ml of Eau d'Orange Verte is only 18$: http://www.luxuryperfume.com/9326.html

Anyone have experience with this one? Authentic merch? Fresh juice?
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th October 2009 at 08:27 AM.
    Sales thread here

Default Re: www.luxuryperfume.com - Anyone ever buy from this vendor?

We did a group purchase from them in order to get the wholesale price last year. I think the minimum order to get the lowest price was something like $700. Anyway, I had to make two trips to the place because some of the merchandise looked like it was from returns or buy-outs of other stores. Some of it was dirty, looked shop worn, had been opened, etc. I was happy to buy old-looking Victoria Secret Secret 88. That stuff has been discontinued for five years, of course it wouldn't look pristine. And, some of the stuff was quite fresh; I watched them fill most of the order from big cartons that were just delivered from the distributor. I wouldn't shop online with them, only in person so I could see the condition of each item before paying for it.

By the way, I bought Orange Verte from them and it was just fine
    Last edited by socalwoman; 7th October 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: www.luxuryperfume.com - Anyone ever buy from this vendor?

Bump.
    Just came across this site. Anyone have experience from them via online?

Default UNBELIEVABLE! Refused service at Luxury Perfumes!!!

Quite an experience tonight. This little story falls somewhere between hilarious and pathetic, I am not sure which.

So I go into Luxury Perfumes in the mall today. I am in there for a while before the guy acknowledges my presence, and when he does, its not nice.

Me: "Can I see a couple of fragrances?"
    Him: "Which one?"
    Me: "There are several".
    Him: "You've been in here before, twice."
    Me: "Yes..."
    Him: "You smell perfumes. All you do is smell. You never buy. Just smell and leave. So I can't help you anymore"
    Me: "Are you serious? Yes, I have been in here twice and smelled perfumes and haven't bought anything. There wasn't anything I liked enough to buy. Are you seriously refusing to help me because of that?"
    Him: "I counted how many perfumes you smelled last time. 10. And you just leave. I work here 15 years, I know when someone is going to buy something, so I can't help you anymore".
    Me" So you memorized my face, how many times I have been in here, and counted how many perfumes I smelled?"
    Him: "Thats right".

I asked for his business license and name which of course he wouldn't give me. I asked why it was such a problem for him to show people perfume in a perfume shop and he said he doesn't have samples. I asked why he doesn't leave sample bottles out to alleviate this problem. No answer, but I can answer for him: He's effing cheap!! I told him he should be happy I am back a third time because maybe I am going to buy something!! I asked what if I want to buy something now, are you going to refuse to sell to me? So he asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted to know how much Habanita was. He painfully got up from his chair (yes, he was sitting down this whole time) at which point I apologized for making him get up. He tells me the Habanita is $24.99.

Now I know I should have to him to kick rocks and left, (here is where the pathetic part comes in) but I have been looking everywhere for that damn Habanita!! So I bought it. I told him he could have potentially made a lot more than $24 off me that night and that if I come back, I expect him to assist me. He agreed that he would. I certainly have no intention of going back. I told him I just bought 3 perfumes from Luxury Perfumes in another mall, so its not as if I am not a patron and that his attitude was incredibly rude.

So I have my Habanita. And I won't be back. Little does he know I am a perfume junkie and would have ended up spending hundreds of dollars there, easily, a year. Needless to say, I felt like I was on some TV show. Visions of the Soup Nazi Seinfeld episode come to mind. I guess this guy is the Perfume Nazi! It many be worth noting that in the 3 times I have been in there, I have been the only customer each time. Hmmm.....

Any other fellow perfumers had a similar such experience with these independent perfume shops? I have shopped at both Luxury Perfumes and Perfumania over the years and never had the pleasure of such a delightful encounter as this evening.

As for Habanita, I am finding it somewhere in the middle of Chanel No. 5 and Creeds Royal English Leather. I know, another reason to think I am crazy, right?!!
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Default Re: UNBELIEVABLE! Refused service at Luxury Perfumes!!!

It's good evidence that trolls are not only found on the internet. At least you got the perfume you were looking for.

Basenotes Plus

"You smell perfumes. All you do is smell" "I expect him to assist me. He agreed that he would"

OMG That is right out of a sit-com. Their motto should be:
    Luxury Perfumes- where's it's a luxury to get service
    And he's probably the owners nephew or something..... Sooooo.... I can't tell if you like the Habanita or not. I luurve it!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Ha, ha, he is too old to be someone's nephew. I am pretty sure he is an independent franchise owner. He is middle aged. Foreign. But most of all, bitter.

I love Habanita! I think its smoky, sultry and sexy! I've only had it on for a couple of hours, but it seems pretty potent so far. Well worth the $24!!
    — Marilyn Monroe

I think this is unbelievable. You should definitely talk to the owner. I cannot believe this.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

My experience with the mall people has been similar. They don't see to appreciate you trying more than one or two things, if that. Generally I would never buy from them since they are too expensive, but I pick my spots in sampling with them.

That's terrible service if you ask me. I would not have spent my $ there.

Complain to the Better Business Bureau and blog about it every chance you get. Refusing service in this economy? What a jerk.

"Luxury Fragrances" in Southern Cal is a foreigner-owned sh*t-stain of a shop that sells fake 'inspired-by' brands right alongside grey-market Creeds. Majority of the time, these people know nothing about frags. Just ask them about the notes and enjoy the blank stare and muttered responses.

One thing is sure, luxury they are not. At least not the "Luxury" perfumes I'm familiar with in Cali.

Even at Perfumania, I dont put up with attitude. I've had ONE female SA roll her eyes at my requests to smell the testers at a Perfumania in Detroit. I politely informed her I will not ever be purchasing anything when she is working the counter. I've walked out with 3 to 4 frags at one time and gone back to pick out the one I forgot, so they know I spend coin. But 9 times out of 10, I just "smell"

So if the person working the can't understand that, he is not aware that people actually collect fragrances. Do not ever give them your patronage again. I say return anything you can ASAP and visit another retailer. Discount frags can be had online for much better prices. They absolutely DO sell fake Creeds, so beware.
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Basenotes Institution

Really...... that is just awful ! Down right terrible and very offensive.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I don't generally experience that kind of attitude, but if I did the SA would get short shrift from me. Like the OP, I do actually buy (far more than I should like most of us).

The thing I find bizarre is that people shopping for fragrance do generally sniff more than they buy! How else do you discover whether you like a given fragrance or not???
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Scenternarian pretty much hit the nail on the head. The other Luxury Perfumes I have been to are also foreign owned and yes, these people know nothing about fragrances or notes. They could just as easily run a gas station or a dry cleaners- they just happen to run a perfume shop. I did see they had several Creeds in there- the grey market thing definitely makes sense. And as HDS1 states, perfume shoppers definitely do more sniffing than buying! That is part of the pleasure for me- the endless possibilities and hunt. I just won't be having that at Luxury Perfumes in Laguna Hills Mall, CA anymore. But if you do decide to drop by, tell the owner I sent you, I'm sure you'll get the special treatment ! ; )
    — Marilyn Monroe

That story is pure comedy.... the scent nazi! No smell for you!!!!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

What kills me is, even if you were a cheap bastard who never intended to buy anything, what would you have to gain by spraying yourself with something that won't last you past your next shower? I mean, why would one test fragrances if his or her motivation is not to eventually buy? It's not as if you went into a steakhouse, ate the steak, and then refused to pay the bill.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Well Lionheart, he informed me that "normal people come in, they smell one or two things, then they buy something". He said that is the only reason he let me smell anything before- with the expectation I would buy something. I guess I exceed the maximum allowable sniffs. Maybe he thought I was going to drain his store dry, one sniff at a time.

Basically, the guys a jerk.
    — Marilyn Monroe

Paper Moon,
    I don't find anything funny about this story and I'm very sorry you had to go through that. You MUST report them to mall management and Better Business Bureau. I agree with loungeboy's suggestion of blogging about it too. You could/should also mention them on the Industry, etc. board here on Basenotes. You never know, there may be many more complaints on file about them and one of these days one will be the last straw.
    I'd have bought elsewhere and happily paid more.

Yes, and don't be afraid of slander/libel. It's not slander if it's true. PERIOD.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Paper Moon,
    I don't find anything funny about this story and I'm very sorry you had to go through that. You MUST report them to mall management and Better Business Bureau. I agree with loungeboy's suggestion of blogging about it too. You could/should also mention them on the Industry, etc. board here on Basenotes. You never know, there may be many more complaints on file about them and one of these days one will be the last straw.
    I'd have bought elsewhere and happily paid more.
    Good suggestion- I posted a thread in the Industry section with a link back to this thread. I fully intend to report this to the BBB and also contact mall management. I doubt this mall would care though, to be honest. Its a little on the run down, lower end side. Its the mall next to Leisure World, a very large senior citizen community (they actually are now incorporated as their own city, Laguna Woods) and a lot of the shoppers are the elderly, local residents.

In reading back on my previous comments, I would just like to clarify I have nothing against foreigners or the elderly. In the words of the great Jerry Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!".
    — Marilyn Monroe

People in guitar shops often moan when you try out the guitars...

Hi Paper Moon, that "scent Nazi" impression is spot on! I can tell you are a polite person who absolutely deserve decent service. Being a Chinese myself I hate to say this but us Chieses, especially city dwellers, are very aggressive, if not altogether rude. If such an unpleasant encounter took place here, it may get very ugly and that sales may even get some physical response. There is no place for rudness in market place.

Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I just joined this website last month and everyone has been so friendly and helpful. I am sure glad I had Basenotes when this craziness happened! Even as it was happening I was thinking how I couldn't believe this, and as soon as I got home I was posting all about it!!
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    I think this is unbelievable. You should definitely talk to the owner. I cannot believe this.
    +1. You should definetively talk to the owner, and also send a e-mail to the head-office and tell them about your experience. This is the worst incident I`ve heard of.. EVER!

I bet if you report up the management chain they would be very interested in hearing how their reps are treating their customers. Don't be surprised if they try to appease you and win back your favor with a gift certificate....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    That's terrible service if you ask me. I would not have spent my $ there.
    Same here.

EXATCLY The same happened to me at Aline. An italian chainstore mainly based in florence where thay have more than 5 stores. So if you come to florence AVOID this place.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

He told you that!

THAT'S JUSTICE I SAY!
    For the sake of good ole blind buying!

Just joking.. by the way

To be fair, it did work and you (finally!) bought something.

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    That story is pure comedy.... the scent nazi! No smell for you!!!!
    You beat me to it! Haha!

Absolutely shocking.

I do not understand how SAs can be arrogant. I'm sure most of them work on some kind of comissional basis so they definitely care for you buying something or not. Its sheer arrogance to assume by someones appearance whether or not he has got money to spend. Incidents like these make me want to visit these particular shops again, dressed like a hobo, only to complain to the shop/brand owner while waving with a 500 € bill that I WAS going to spend there.

Unfortunately I myself have experienced this myself often enough. Bein far younger than their usual customers and male, the probably think it's just the next kid looking to get himself a free wearing of Le Male.
    Although all of these SAs in my experience were uptight middle aged women.

Sorry for the ramble but this is one of the worst side effects I have encountered regarding this hobby and I just wanted to chime in.

You should definitely not let this kind of behaviour stay uncommented!
    Smellin good

Blog Entries

Well, he didn't have to be rude about it. But look at it from his angle. Its not like you went to Neiman Marcus where the margins are much higher and people who work there don't have anything financially invested in anything the potential customers use. The rush that some people go through for anything that comes "free" is outrageous. I've seen some people literally bath in expensive colognes from testers at Neiman Marcus, where it was easy to spot that they wouldn't be buying even a drug store cologne for $5.

I don't think if you were just browsing around for 2 hours in the store oogling at the bottles would have irked him as much. Its the act of spraying (which costs him), combined with his margins being low as it is.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

This reminds me of a sushi shop in which they charge extra for those little orange fish eggs for garnish! In a real Japanese food restaurant, the fish eggs (and the condiments like the green wasabi--horseradish paste--and the pickled ginger) are served as part of the meal.

That's like charging extra for a straw when you buy a drink...or charging you for the pickle on your burger.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2011 at 04:31 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago at a Perfumania. I was visiting Asheville, NC and decided to check out their store in the local mall (as I don't have one in my area). From the moment I went in, I was hounded by this very rude SA. I told her "thanks, I'm just looking", but she refused to let me browse. She even went so far as to say "what are you going to do, just buy by the look of the bottle? This is a perfume shop, you have to try them on".

Needless to say, I simply ignored her & immediatlely walked out the door (while saying a few choice words). I started to tell her that I was a collector and already knew what I was looking for, but there was no way I was dealing with her any longer. I don't know if this "high pressure", we won't leave you alone, attitude is the norm in Perfumania stores or not, but I do know, I decided then & there that they will NEVER get a cent of my money in one of their stores or online. I'll gladly pay double the price to take my business elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced this hasselling, rude type of attitude at Perfumania?

I go to Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus and The Scent Bar. they never hassle me and are very friendly and sometimes even knowegable.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

This guy is obviously a moron and doesn't know that treating customers like gold results in more gold. A lousy sales man to say the least. Imagine this guy trying to sell cars. Him: Ahhh..no I'm not going to let you test drive this car because...you should just buy it and not waste my time."

I always find it amusing when the SAs say "what are you looking for?" Sure, I'll perfectly describe what I am looking for. Then you will know exactly what I am talking about and will direct me to the perfect fragrance.

Mudassir, it is very hard to empathize with his point of view when he treated me like that. He refused to even get up from his chair to show me anything and acted like I was doing something wrong by coming into his perfume store and asking to smell perfume! There are simply ZERO excuses. Do you have any idea how odd and uncomfortable that made me feel? That he told me exactly the amount if times I had been in his store and how many perfumes I smelled? It was invasive actually invasive. He turned a simple shopping experience into something odd and totally personal. Very, very strange and totally uncalled for.
    — Marilyn Monroe

I actually had a good experience with an SA at the Perfumania in Northgate Mall in Seattle. I wasn't expecting much since it's a mall discounter, but she actually got out several bottles from behind the counter and offered me to spray on scent strips without my even asking (I went in looking for something specific that they didn't have, and she wanted to help me find a good substitute). So I guess it really does depend on the individual you are dealing with!

I guess the vast majority of people actually either knows exactly what they are looking for or are far too clueless to know where to begin (especially if you're a guy). Knowledgable SAs can actually be quite helpful and in most of the high profile perfumeries I visited, it's expected that you ask an SA to spray the testers. Most of the time I'd prefer to be completely alone with all their testers but I guess that would indeed be prone to heavy abuse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    Mudassir, it is very hard to empathize with his point of view when he treated me like that. He refused to even get up from his chair to show me anything and acted like I was doing something wrong by coming into his perfume store and asking to smell perfume! There are simply ZERO excuses. Do you have any idea how odd and uncomfortable that made me feel? That he told me exactly the amount if times I had been in his store and how many perfumes I smelled? It was invasive actually invasive. He turned a simple shopping experience into something odd and totally personal. Very, very strange and totally uncalled for.
    I am not empathizing with hsi point of view. There is no excuse for rudeness. But every expense adds up in a cut throat business. Some people brought up sushi place or what not. The level of service, or expectation of a very cordial staff from somewhere I am paying $50 for dinner is expected. But if I am taking the same expectations to a $2.99 buffet place, then my expectations are misplaced and some owner or someone related to the owner who has an active financial interest in that $2.99 place getting irked with me using 10 ketchup packets as opposed to one is quite natural. Acting on that and being rude is a different matter altogether.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

You really should have done him a favor and given him a huge belly laugh right in front of all the customers in the store. Asking "So you won't help customers who want to smell first before they buy ?" "Really?" "BWWAAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAA" "You should go into real estate !!" "MUAHAHAHHAAAAA"

Seriously, he deserves the embarrassment.

And furthermore, here is a skit your experience reminds me of:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/168222...rice_is_right/

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I go to Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus and The Scent Bar. they never hassle me and are very friendly and sometimes even knowegable.
    +1, problem solved. I hate sniffing in places where they don't just have the scents out where I can get to them myself. That's the first criterion.

Second is decent sales staff. Good SAs move up and work at higher end establishments where they're paid more. SAs who don't know what they're doing stay at Perfumania or Luxury Perfume and harass people, who are forced to listen because there's no other way to sniff scents than to go through the SA.

For the record, I've had a few decent experiences at lower-end shops, but the odds aren't good, and what really bothers me is that you're forced to interact with the SA, even if you don't like them, if you want to sniff anything.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 8th June 2011 at 09:23 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I agree. When a company deals with "consumable goods" (perfume, food, toiletries), part of selling is giving the customer a sample: a piece of a cookie or cinnamon roll, a spray of scent, or a dollop of skin lotion. That's the way you sell your product.

People unwilling to accept samples as part of doing business and generating sales should go into dry cleaning.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that Perfumania wanted to spray the testers for you. To me that's a deal breaker. I want to be able to spray what I want to sample by myself. You know somewhere I've found that's great for that (although they only have very mainstream stuff); is Kohl's. Their testers are out on shelves with strips and no one to bother you. Sears is also that way, I've found.

I agree with Mudassir in that you have to see it from his point of view. I've gotten a very cold shoulder response from SA's at even some top tier department stores when they thought I was a serial looker. But if you buy a few things now and then and tell the person you are a collector they will often go out of their way to find for you the most rare and hard to locate fragrances. They will call you up to come over for a first try for new things. You just got show them you are willing to play the consumer game with them and show them that their help might actually benefit them down the road.

Basenotes Plus

I love Habanita! I think its smoky, sultry and sexy! I've only had it on for a couple of hours, but it seems pretty potent so far. Well worth the $24!!
    Cool! Another member of the Habanita fan club. The body lotion is great too- do you think your friend carries that??? Just....kidding....

Just think of all the entertainment you've gotten out of this one $24 transaction, in Laguna to boot. Next time I'm down that way I'll have to drop in & say you sent me based on this guy's photographic memory and great personal charm.....

JUST....KIDDING!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I agree with Mudassir in that you have to see it from his point of view. I've gotten a very cold shoulder response from SA's at even some top tier department stores when they thought I was a serial looker. But if you buy a few things now and then and tell the person you are a collector they will often go out of their way to find for you the most rare and hard to locate fragrances. They will call you up to come over for a first try for new things. You just got show them you are willing to play the consumer game with them and show them that their help might actually benefit them down the road.
    Although I know smaller businesses have a smaller budget than the likes of Neiman Marcus, the truth (for me, at least) is they have to play my game.

I am the customer with the money, and I will gladly take that money to a store who shows me politeness from the get-go, and not after I have made a few purchases.

There are many BNers who have paid more to get better service elsewhere. I heard of one prospective buyer who sniffed a scent in a store only to get a surly response from the SA. He left and bought the scent from another store altogether.

I recall that scene in the film "Pretty Woman" when the young prostitute (played by Julia Roberts) walks into a chic boutique and the snooty SAs give her the cold shoulder, not realising the her lover is a millionaire businessman (Richard Gere). When the lover arrives, dazzling arrayed in his bespoke suit and 18K cufflinks, he smiles at the boutique manager and says something to the effect of, "I am willing to spend an obscene amount of money here, but I would like to see some sucking up."

That's the way retail works. If the staff at a store sees polite customer service as "sucking up," and they are not willing to condescend to that level, so be it. We have already seen people take their business elsewhere--and without guilt.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I say we form a sniffing posse of 20-30 Basenoters and as a group visit that shop to do nothing but sniff his stuff, not buy a thing, and chatter loudly to each other and him in unintelligible tongues while moonwalking, gesticulating wildly and generally acting out.

The nerve of the cretin..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

This is why I don't even go into places like Perfumania . There's always just one really surly looking guy behind the counter- noone else in the shop and he's ready to pounce on you . They seem to expect you to walk in ,drop your money for something without trying out the perfume. Usually the vibe I get is ........if you don't come in to buy at once, you are not welcome. In other words, I feel as though I am viewed as a time waster - which is wrong .
    I am ready to spend more at a place with good ,friendly service for less hassle- really it's worth it sometimes. My blood pressure can only handle so much crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    This is why I don't even go into places like Perfumania . There's always just one really surly looking guy behind the counter- noone else in the shop and he's ready to pounce on you . They seem to expect you to walk in ,drop your money for something without trying out the perfume. Usually the vibe I get is ........if you don't come in to buy at once, you are not welcome. In other words, I feel as though I am viewed as a time waster - which is wrong .
    I am ready to spend more at a place with good ,friendly service for less hassle- really it's worth it sometimes. My blood pressure can only handle so much crap.
    Amen to that, Mimi!

I recall asking to see something on a shelf hoping to try a sample. The SA shook his head disapprovingly, and said, "No. No! Is for men. Only for men!" Then he tried to steer me to the women's scents. I wanted to try Michael Kors....

Scent nazi, indeed. LOL! And he just perhaps missed a sale of Michael Kors, too.

I also try to go to department stores or boutiques. No one can tell me what I might like or should like to wear.

Get this: customer service??

http://www.perfumania.com/content/fo...s/content.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Never tried Habinita.

No smell for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I am not empathizing with hsi point of view. There is no excuse for rudeness. But every expense adds up in a cut throat business. Some people brought up sushi place or what not. The level of service, or expectation of a very cordial staff from somewhere I am paying $50 for dinner is expected. But if I am taking the same expectations to a $2.99 buffet place, then my expectations are misplaced and some owner or someone related to the owner who has an active financial interest in that $2.99 place getting irked with me using 10 ketchup packets as opposed to one is quite natural. Acting on that and being rude is a different matter altogether.
    I disagree. You can't sell luxury perfumes without letting people try them. And remember, he accused her of sniffing a measly 10 perfumes. The threshold whereby his behaviour could be justified from a business point of view would have to be much, much higher. The guy totally deserves to go out of business if he thinks its justified to treat her like that. And she's a perfume hobbyist, like the best type of customer that every store should be bending over backwards for!

Keep spreading the words basenotes, lets make sure everyone knows about how this chain treats people

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Amen to that, Mimi!

I recall asking to see something on a shelf hoping to try a sample. The SA shook his head disapprovingly, and said, "No. No! Is for men. Only for men!" Then he tried to steer me to the women's scents. I wanted to try Michael Kors....

Scent nazi, indeed. LOL! And he just perhaps missed a sale of Michael Kors, too.

I also try to go to department stores or boutiques. No one can tell me what I might like or should like to wear.

Get this: customer service??

http://www.perfumania.com/content/fo...s/content.html
    *LOL* In reality - their customer service sucks.
    I'm not the time waster ...they are.

the people who defend the guy are obviously in retail

but without customers youre sitting in the unemployment line

so be nice, be civil, and be very good at customer service. that's the essence of good business.
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    "Luxury Fragrances" in Southern Cal is a foreigner-owned sh*t-stain of a shop that sells fake 'inspired-by' brands right alongside grey-market Creeds. Majority of the time, these people know nothing about frags. Just ask them about the notes and enjoy the blank stare and muttered responses.

One thing is sure, luxury they are not. At least not the "Luxury" perfumes I'm familiar with in Cali.

Even at Perfumania, I dont put up with attitude. I've had ONE female SA roll her eyes at my requests to smell the testers at a Perfumania in Detroit. I politely informed her I will not ever be purchasing anything when she is working the counter. I've walked out with 3 to 4 frags at one time and gone back to pick out the one I forgot, so they know I spend coin. But 9 times out of 10, I just "smell"

So if the person working the can't understand that, he is not aware that people actually collect fragrances. Do not ever give them your patronage again. I say return anything you can ASAP and visit another retailer. Discount frags can be had online for much better prices. They absolutely DO sell fake Creeds, so beware.
    Actually i have had an experience like this with the local shopping mall which i visit to sample fragrances back in 2009. The SAs eventually ignored me which i found very rude, because i did not buy anything from them. Actually, i was considering to buy Azzaro Chrome back then, but after the rudeness, i decided against ever buying from them again and got myself altamir from a perfume shop that was a few shops away.

Even if i wanted to buy i will not buy from that place ever and id rather go take my business elsewhere. I should have just told them off the way you did or write to customer service!

Another shop that charges ridiculous prices for perfumes (65USD for 50ml of Givenchy Gentleman???!! WHAT?) and offers horrible service beyond imagination has also been blacklisted by me. If you go in there and try, then buy the next day, the shopkeeper gives you the looks. They spray the scent on the test strip, then take back the test strip. Cheap!!!
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    Actually i have had an experience like this with the local shopping mall which i visit to sample fragrances back in 2009. The SAs eventually ignored me which i found very rude, because i did not buy anything from them. Actually, i was considering to buy Azzaro Chrome back then, but after the rudeness, i decided against ever buying from them again and got myself altamir from a perfume shop that was a few shops away.

Even if i wanted to buy i will not buy from that place ever and id rather go take my business elsewhere. I should have just told them off the way you did or write to customer service!

Another shop that charges ridiculous prices for perfumes (65USD for 50ml of Givenchy Gentleman???!! WHAT?) and offers horrible service beyond imagination has also been blacklisted by me. If you go in there and try, then buy the next day, the shopkeeper gives you the looks. They spray the scent on the test strip, then take back the test strip. Cheap!!!
    Some vendors will actually open a box and spray a strip for you, then replace the bottle back on the shelf. This is true for scents without cellophane wrapper. I would never buy a scent without the cellophane wrapper. Some of these "sprayed" bottles are sold as new. As far as I am concerned, once a bottle is sprayed, it should become a tester.

Also, some stores display scents in store windows, where they get exposed to light or sun. You can tell by the faded boxes on some of the merchandise.

Such a minor problem and so easy to deal with.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    but without customers youre sitting in the unemployment line

so be nice, be civil, and be very good at customer service. that's the essence of good business.
    Yes, it's really THAT simple . Not hard at all .
    Customer service is the only thing that makes you stand out from the rest of the competition and people remember that.