Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: UNBELIEVABLE! Refused service at Luxury Perfumes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Some vendors will actually open a box and spray a strip for you, then replace the bottle back on the shelf. This is true for scents without cellophane wrapper. I would never buy a scent without the cellophane wrapper. Some of these "sprayed" bottles are sold as new. As far as I am concerned, once a bottle is sprayed, it should become a tester.

Also, some stores display scents in store windows, where they get exposed to light or sun. You can tell by the faded boxes on some of the merchandise.
    With that said, ive seen a few shops resealing the cellophane tape on the box with a heated blade, in full view of the customer.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

I coordinated a group purchase from amongst around twenty basenoters from the Downtown LA Luxury Perfumes. Shopping there was nothing like going to Barneys. There was no free underground parking. Nobody offered me champagne or strawberries. I didn't even get free samples. I also didn't pay Barney prices.

But, I did get very friendly and helpful customer service from each and every employee there.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 9th June 2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I coordinated a group purchase from amongst around twenty basenoters from the Downtown LA Luxury Perfumes. Shopping there was nothing like going to Barneys. There was no free underground parking. Nobody offered me champagne or strawberries. I didn't even get free samples. I also didn't pay Barney prices.

But, I did get very friendly and helpful customer service from each and every employee there.
    Socalwoman, I think each shopping experience can be different, and I agree.

One time I went to a fragrance discounter. The store was crowded and one had to have a ticket for service. The employees were not of the chipper "Barney's" type, but waited on me until I had decided on what to buy. They only took cash and did not do returns or refunds, but I did save a little money.

I think that when one is not, however, buying at a discounter--such as a boutique, department store or niche seller--great customer service is a must!
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th June 2011 at 02:29 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I am not sure where the infatuation with customer service comes from. The dude was rude plain and simple, and there is no jutification for it. But these kind of discounters serve a purpose, and serve it well. Even at high-end department stores, you only get customer service for free upto a certain point before they write you off as a freeloader.

If anything, compare the service mom and pop discounters provide to the service you would get at TJMaxx, Syms, Ross, Walgreens, Walmart fragrance counters. Try sampling something at walmart before buying it. But then again, some people already do - by opening the bottles and helping themselves.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I am not sure where the infatuation with customer service comes from. The dude was rude plain and simple, and there is no jutification for it. But these kind of discounters serve a purpose, and serve it well. Even at high-end department stores, you only get customer service for free upto a certain point before they write you off as a freeloader.

If anything, compare the service mom and pop discounters provide to the service you would get at TJMaxx, Syms, Ross, Walgreens, Walmart fragrance counters. Try sampling something at walmart before buying it. But then again, some people already do - by opening the bottles and helping themselves.
    I agree with you on this, but the OP did mention the man was more than just rude.

At discounters, I can tolerate the lack of smiling, zealous "we're-so-happy-you're-here" customer service, but what really upsets me is going to a niche store and being ignored by the staff.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Believe me everyone, I am not expecting sunshine and rainbows when I walk into a dimly lit store with hundreds of boxes behind the counters, totally out of reach, and one lone, unfriendly man sitting behind the counter watching TV. I can deal with that. To be very frank, (and I hadn't wanted to bring this up out of fear I would start a whole different argument altogether), I got the very certain feeling I was dealing with a man who has zero respect for women, and its a cultural thing. I think if I had been, say, a middle aged man, I would not have been treated quite the same way. I could be wrong.

Anyways, it was ridiculous. It was such an uncomfortable experience that I was thinking about it last night while I was trying to sleep and also on and off today. The more I think about it, the more insane the whole thing seems and I am totally unmotivated to explore his "angle" or perspective from a business stand point. He and his perspective can kiss my a$$.

On a brighter note, I am really enjoying Habanita!! I can already tell this fragrance is going to be a staple for me.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it."
    Marilyn Monroe

Basenotes Plus

Personally, I'd feel obligated to buy something if I'd spent an hour sniffing in a shop. And usually I would find something I like well enough to spend some $. If I'm the store owner, I think I'd probably get annoyed with serial sniffers too. But I would have been much more diplomatic in my response & offer my help in finding something for the shopper to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I say we form a sniffing posse of 20-30 Basenoters and as a group visit that shop to do nothing but sniff his stuff, not buy a thing, and chatter loudly to each other and him in unintelligible tongues while moonwalking, gesticulating wildly and generally acting out.

The nerve of the cretin..
    +1 I'd love to be part of this sniffing flash mob. Bring along shopping bags from high end fragrance stores to show we're serious shoppers/collectors. At the end of the day, pick a bunch of fragrances each, drop them at the counter. Fish out the cards/cash. And 'cancel that purchase decision' before walking out of the store. But just before doing that:

"Hey, guys. Let's shop elsewhere. This place stinks & the service sucks."

"Btw Mr WhatsisFace, <PaperMoon> sends her regards."
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 9th June 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Woah Paper Moon! Slow down here. Foreigner? Gas stations and dry cleaners? Backward culture? Chauvinism related to backward culture? In case you didn't notice, basenotes is not an ultra-feminist KKK fiefdom ;-)

It has everything to do with anything you could think of that makes his background different than yours, but the simple fact that he went way out of line because of him thinking you have abused the privilege that he is paying for. I am beginning to think you might have more issues than that extremely rude cut-throat margin discount store owner.

Mudassir, your response is the very reason I hesitated to bring that up. Think of me what you will. I'm simply relaying an experience, you can draw what conclusions you like.
    Marilyn Monroe

Blog Entries

Papermoon,
    You haven't just relayed an experience. You have specified the reasons you think that caused that experience, and all fo them have to do with the "otherness" of him. I know you probably hate me more than him at this time. But I would rather be hated than do a groupie hug based on ignorance, racism and hatered.

I don't hate you, I don't even know you. I don't hate the guy from the perfume store either, but I certainly dislike the way he treated me. I think you are the one who needs to slow down. My acknowledging potential cultural differences doesn't make me a racist, feminazi, ignorant, nor KKK affiliate. But as I said, you are entitled to your own opinion, as I am entitled to mine. I won't be as rude as to calls yours ignorant, however, as you have called mine.
    Marilyn Monroe

Basenotes Plus

Mudassir,
    I didn't get the impression from Paper Moons posts that the reason for her discomfort was based on the "otherness" of him. And I certainly think it is inflammatory to accuse her of "hating on" you. That is quite a leap based on what she posted to you IMO.

OKIE DOKIE, this thread could get locked any minute now so Paper Moon. Enjoy that Habanita! And since we probably won't actually get the chance to have a sniffing flash mob, why don't you print out this thread and leave it for your friend the next time you are in the mall (carring the aforementioned bags from other scent shops) for some nice reading material?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I am retiring from this thread. I apologize to Mudassir or anyone else who may have been offended by any of my comments.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
    Marilyn Monroe

Blog Entries

Knit at nite,
    Read again. She mentioned he probably went off at her because of having zero respect for women, because of his culture. Its not even an individual thing. Its a cultural thing. His culture teaches him to have zero respect for women.

So you find this figure of speech inflammotary: "You'd probably hate me for saying this, but you are being irrational?" Okay then. *groupie hug*

fountain

he clearly fancies you, the little voyeur
    seriously, though, i'd just ignore the shop, you know.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: www.luxuryperfume.com - Anyone ever buy from this vendor?

Bought a bottle of AdG from them (3.4 oz) for like $59.90. Completely legit. No problems w/ it being old or dusty or weak smelling. Great buy