Code of Conduct

Default B Never swansong

Yes, it's true - the brand is being discontinued. Full announcement can be read at:

https://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.co.uk/

We're busy planning what to do next, so watch this space!

And don't worry about me - I am still in my job at Lush, the parent company who are my employers anyway - the perfumery work was shared between the two. There are a couple of products out in the shops with some of my work in them already

It's very sad to see the B brand go, but it never managed to make profit, so rather than try to transform the way it is to a point where it wouldn't be recognisable any more, it seems to make sense to start over!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: B Never swansong

I'm sorry to hear that and glad your not out of a job. While I was not exactly part of the target group, I found the perfumes to be quite good. So did the economic crisis seal BNevers fate?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

(I'm hoping some of the perfumes get re-introduced, but it's too early to say which - or how ).

Well, I think the economic crisis has forced our decision-makers to be more sensible than before! It was always a brand of indulgence for them and during these tougher times one can't support something frivolous.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know you are not out of a job I may have to get a back up of Cocktail now too
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that your job is safe Nuka! I'll be really sad to see this brand go, I've fallen in love with Breath of God and Cocktail, looks like it's time to stock up!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!!!!

This is one of the few brands that has truly impressed me as of late. Breath of God is truly masterful. I hope Lush manages to incorporate some of the fragrances into their own line.

:'(

Oh no!! I had really hoped to see this brand make it across the pond. Everything I had heard was so positive. However I did wonder if it might have been to expensive to maintain.

Very glad to hear you are not out of a job.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness your job is safe Nukapai and I am sorry to see another brand go . I never did get to sample Be Never.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame - some really good things there. Dear John and others were exellent.

I'm afraid I won't be able to buy any of the fragrances if sold from a lush store - walking into one is like having your head beaten to a pulp and liquidised. The strongest smelling places in the world.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 7th October 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news.

Post Thanks / Like

N, I am glad you still have a job. These are very bad economic times throughout the world. It is very sad to see so many small businesses not doing well, small shops closing, etc..
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested, there's a sample pack available (do a search for "Full Monty"). I knew I loved Breath of God and Lady Boy, but I was curious about the rest...the bottles look like a decent size. Will report back.

Am sorry to read this, Nukes ... But very happy that you are still doing your thing and in employment. May your future be bright, and I look forward to smelling your work!

Hugs,

Soir
    xx
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your comments everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry to read this, I was deeply impressed by the people at BNTBTBB on the Basenotes Lunch. It is a sad reflection of the perfume industry and the world if profit and principles can't go together, even when you have perfumes that are raved about and so highly rated. I wish nothing but the best to Nukapei, Mark, Simon and everyone else at BNTBTBB.

Unhappy Re: B Never swansong

I'm so sad. I had just discovered Breath of God at the Basenotes lunch and elected it my signature fragrance. I so hope it will become part of the Lush collection....
    In the meantime, I will try to stock up via Internet.
    very happy for your job, Pia. Did you work at Vanillary? It's one of the very few vanillas i like.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad. This brand was gone before I even got to know it.

Post Thanks / Like

Also - If it is not making a loss why not keep it in business? Its people's jobs and livelihoods. Was a time when staying in business was the goal rather than profit.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Total bummer! Glad our gorgeous redhead is still employed - but...GOSH......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

There's a lot that's worth salvaging from the brand - and it's worth doing well. I think they've made the right decision (rather than edit the brand so it becomes unrecognisable, save it from imploding and start from scratch). Most people have retained their jobs or have been offered alternative positions and so forth. Lush was a back-up resource pumping man-hours and funds into B - and one can argue that it was a bit like keeping something on artificial life-support.

Doing perfumery and cosmetics profitably, with reasonable prices and with lavish formulas has worked for them before, so the powers that be at Lush just need to get the framework right for whatever they get up to next...

Obviously business is business, but the kind of zero-sum closed loop of just keeping something alive is perhaps more appropriate at early stages of enterprise and for a group of business people and investors who are looking to get beyond that early stage with a brand, B had a very fair run at it.

On an emotional and personal level - yes, this sucks. Our customer forum is full of pleas from people to introduce the scents to the Lush range.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 22nd October 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    (I'm hoping some of the perfumes get re-introduced, but it's too early to say which - or how ).

Well, I think the economic crisis has forced our decision-makers to be more sensible than before! It was always a brand of indulgence for them and during these tougher times one can't support something frivolous.
    I've been a customer of Lush since way back before Lush! There was an earlier company called Cosmetics to Go that went bust and almost wiped the founders out, which I think gives a huge insight into their reticence.

Bear in mind as well that they will still have the formulas for the fragrances and will be able to reincarnate them whenever they want to. There are a bunch of 'old' products they've brought back from the old CTG days and you can get a stack of stuff through the Retro Lush function on the website, so there's a distribution channel right there just waiting to be used, should they decide to offer the perfumes again in the future.

But yeah, I'm really sad to see a good company go and I hope they'll come back again in another incarnation when the economy settles again. Glad you've still got a job, Nuka! I would be gutted not to be able to go into a Lush shop and say 'oooh, Nukapai made that!' I loved the Stardust ballistic so much I'm looking forward to what you create next.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 22nd October 2009 at 09:59 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    ...I'm afraid I won't be able to buy any of the fragrances if sold from a lush store - walking into one is like having your head beaten to a pulp and liquidised. The strongest smelling places in the world.
    The thread title caught my eye, I'll add my note of relief that your job is still OK. I hope new ventures within the corporate scope will be interesting and worthwhile.

Hirch's comment also caught my eye. I share his predicament. I used to like to drop into LUSH and see what was new, happening. But everytime I did, I had this strong, pongy melange of odors that would cling to me for hours afterwards. This is not from sampling anything. This was from the air itself. So now I read the catalogue and see if there is any new thing that might interest me. But drop-ins are an important part of business.
    Just my 2 cents, most of the younger set don't seem to mind at all.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    The thread title caught my eye, I'll add my note of relief that your job is still OK. I hope new ventures within the corporate scope will be interesting and worthwhile.

Hirch's comment also caught my eye. I share his predicament. I used to like to drop into LUSH and see what was new, happening. But everytime I did, I had this strong, pongy melange of odors that would cling to me for hours afterwards. This is not from sampling anything. This was from the air itself. So now I read the catalogue and see if there is any new thing that might interest me. But drop-ins are an important part of business.
    Just my 2 cents, most of the younger set don't seem to mind at all.
    Yes, LOL, perhaps as a 41 year old I am not the target market for lush.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

My one and only Lush experience:

Me: *sneaks in to smell perfume shelf with hesitant coworker*
    SA: Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Me: Um, hi
    SA: Is that your FAVOURITE perfume???
    Me: What? Um, I've never...
    SA: OMG, it's SOOOOO nice...if I smelled this on a man, I'd wanna rip his clothes off RIGHT THEN
    Me: please don't
    SA: have you tried our (insert name here) handcream?
    Me: No
    SA: OMG, it's SOOOOO moisturizing
    SA: *grabs my hand and covers it in gobs of goo*
    Me: Ew...*whispers to friend for a tissue*
    SA: your face looks dry, I'll get (insert name here) cream
    Me (to coworker): run...hurry...she's not looking...go go go!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Yes, LOL, perhaps as a 41 year old I am not the target market for lush.
    Actually, the whole B Never aesthetic seemed aimed at 16-25 year olds (my wife's words), while the "quality for a commensurate price" philosophy clearly appealed more to the financially solid 35 upward range. Perhaps that's one reason for the failure.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

an over 35 with the mind of a teenager? Here I am! And that's probably why I fell in love with BNTBTB

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Damn! I was hoping these would be coming to the US. I really wanted to try them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the managers invest their money somewhere else, I hope they do better than I've done in the stock market over the last two years. I hope they can get a better return than I can get in money market funds or CDs (recently less than 1%). I hope they lose less money than AIG.

I'm glad most people are getting other assignments. But when people work together for a while they become more productive in several ways. I sympathise with everyone who loses that.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reading the reviews in the updated guide and it's really sad that such an interesting and innovative brand is no more. I already own Breath of God and Ladyboy, I think I'm going to have to purchase Cocktail, Superworldunknown, Dirty and 1000 Kisses Deep before they are gone forever.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.