Code of Conduct

Default Which L'artisan Parfumeur frags are masculine(esque)?

Really been enjoying the samples I have from this house. Most seem very unisex if not slightly feminine to my nose. I have Timbuktu, Dzing!, Piment Brulant (amazing!), Mure et Musc (great on a woman), Mechant Loup, and Tea For Two.

Are there some others you think I may be interested in?

Also, for those who have tried it, is Havana Vanille a fairly unisex fragrance or does it lean one way or another? (And does anyone know when Aedes or Luckyscent will get bottles of it?)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Default Re: Which L'artisan Parfumeur frags are masculine(esque)?

The only one I own is Fou d'Absinthe. I bought it blind due to a lot of recommendations here on BN.
    It is rather sweet, and a bit powdery, so it fits your description. I see it as being a bit more to the feminine side though I am becoming accustomed to it.

Dzongkha, and perhaps Navegar?

Basenotes Institution

Patchouli Patch, Ananas Fizz, Premier Figuier...

I love and hate many of the scents from this line, but I think the reasons has less to do with whether the scent is ' feminine' or 'masculine' and more to do with whether I like the scent or not.

Ah yeah.. don't get me wrong, a scent being feminine (to my nose) doesn't mean I dislike it. On the contrary, most of my favorite fragrances from this line so far are definitely more geared toward the feminine realm -- I was merely hoping to find some fragrances that lean a bit more toward the masculine side of things.

Basenotes Plus

Aedes had the tester of HV & frankly, I wasn't impressed and I really enjoy the line. Other than what has been said thus far, I would add the Amber & especially the Amber Extreme.

Voleur de Roses can easily be worn by a man. In fact, I believe it's marketed as a masculine fragrance.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

+1 Dzongkha.

L'eau de Navagateur is a beastly fragrance! Unique!

I absolutely love L'eau de Navagateur, but it unfortunately doesn't last long at all on me, 1 hour max.. which kinda sucks when you spend 100+ on it.

IMO mechant loup is the most masculine sexed offering from l'artisan

I'm sampling Voleur de Roses and find right on the edge...I know a lot of men like it.
    It's darker and more sinister than many women would probably like.

The only L`Artisan i own is Fou d`Absinthe. It`s market as a masculine fragrance. Great scent! In my top-10.

Dependent

From the ones I've tried, L'eau du Navigatuer seems to lean on more "masculine".

Sur la Plage

The ones with an excessive amount of chest hair on the bottle.

You need to try them for yourself. Everyone is going to have a different sense of what is "feminine" or "masculine" to their nose.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th October 2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The ones with an excessive amount of chest hair on the bottle.

You need to try them for yourself. Everyone is going to have a different sense of what is "feminine" or "masculine" to their nose.
    I suppose I'm looking for the opinions of other basenoters to help narrow things down

Regarding L'eau de Navagateur, a few reviews I've read (on this site) suggest it has a somewhat dated/fumey scent to it which is definitely a red flag, but I'll try to sample it regardless.

Why does it worry you so much?

I think Passage d'Enfer can go either way - is that masculinesque?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    ...Regarding L'eau de Navagateur, a few reviews I've read (on this site) suggest it has a somewhat dated/fumey scent to it which is definitely a red flag, but I'll try to sample it regardless.
    Please do. Your own impression is your best guide. IMO LedN is very good example of the art of perfumery.

Re masculines, i also support Patchouli Patch, Timbuktu and Ambre Extreme, though my favourite L'AP is Mure et Musc Extreme.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    IMO mechant loup is the most masculine sexed offering from l'artisan
    Agreed. BTW, PM if you're interested in purchasing my barely used bottle of ML.

- Brad

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Correct, again I keep forgetting to mention it. If we're more concerned how others find something too "feminine" on us, we may end up with nothing to wear!

I suppose I'm looking for the opinions of other basenoters to help narrow things down

Regarding L'eau de Navagateur, a few reviews I've read (on this site) suggest it has a somewhat dated/fumey scent to it which is definitely a red flag, but I'll try to sample it regardless.
    L'eau du Navigateur is an incens-y, coffee scent, that has a bit of a "dirt" feel to it IMO. Very unique and enjoyable to wear. To me it doesn't feel dated at all. Own it and love it. Really worth a sniff! Haven't smelled anything quite like it to be honest.

Although I find all of them wearable by anyone, the ones mentioned above are a good start, plus Dzing! Personally I think Timbuktu is more on the masculine side so maybe my perspective isn't what you're looking for.

Passage de Enfer is, IMO, wonderfully unisex. Also find Patchouli Patch, Voleur de Roses, The pour un Ete and Piment Brulant to be absolute unisex.

I find Dzonkha and Timbukto to be pretty butch...Navegar, Patchouli Patch and Voleur all lean toward the masculine. My favs are The Pour Un Ete (similar to Bvlgari's green tea) and Saffran Troublant. Bois Farine is also interesting and worth trying.

I once had Fou d' Absinthe, and I wish I still owned it. Very piney and macho. I sold/swapped it in a fit of madness.

I think that there's almost nothing that _should_ be divided by sex, but if I accept that certain note have certain associations (floral=women, for example) then:

Navegar, Dzing!, Passage d'Enfer and Dzongkha seem unisex-to-masculine. No fruit, no flowers, no gourmand, no prettying up. They're "This is how I smell. You wanna make something of it?" fragrances.

Tea for Two and Mechant Loup seem precisely unisex - no stereotypically feminine notes, but there are gourmand notes and they're a little bit prettier. They try harder to please. But I still think that a "I refuse to wear feminines" man could wear Tea for Two without the slightest qualm. (Probably the same for Mechant Loup, but I haven't smelled that one in months so I'm less sure.) Oh, and I'd add Bois Farine to this group. And Fou d'Absinthe. And Safran Troublant.

The Pour un Ete is lovely, but it's....well, lovely. If clear and transparent say feminine to you, it may be feminine.

Mure et Musc is a lot of fruit, so if that feels like a feminine note to you, that may not work. Same for Ananas Fizz, until it vanishes ten seconds after I apply it. And Premier Figiuer.

All the "fleurs" that I've smelled are indeed quite floral. La Chasse Aux Papillons is also quite floral and "pretty". And the Mimosa is, too.

I can't smell Piment Brulant, Timbuktu, or L'eau de Navagateur. I just say this because I want to whine about that fact.

I can't speak to the amber because I can't smell ambers accurately. My nose is defective on that note. And I haven't smelled the others, or at least not enough to have an opinion.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 8th October 2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Edited to add some that I forgot.

Piment Brulant is incredible... from start to finish it's almost like a freshly cut bell pepper. Very light/miniamlist/refreshing, a great summertime scent.

Dzing! was very much like Bulgari Black to me, but it seems Dzongkha, Passage De Enfer and L'eau de Navagateur are definitely the ones to try.

I'll also give the L'Artisan Aedes de Venustas a try as well.. I don't hear very much about that one.

Thanks again all

Of the ones I have tried Fou d'Absinthe, Timbuktu, Tea for Two, and Mechan Loupe are the most butch.
    Evenstar

I tried Fou d'Absinthe at The Perfume House and really liked the opening! Soft, powdery, very "green" and comforting.. unfortunately I only tested this on a scent strip (that I left in the store) so I didn't get a chance to see how it wore through the day - but definitely worthy of a sample. Tea for Two is very good, totally great for the upcoming months. Mechant Loup reads like it would be ideal for me, but on my skin it's just so bland and uninteresting

Timbuktu, however, I'm currently browsing for a bottle of.

I recomend these as very masculine:

Navegar - black pepper, juniper and woods.
    L' Eau de Navigateur - coffee, smoke incense, and woods
    Patchouli Patch - a cool dispasionate patchouli
    Tea for Two - black tea
    Dzing - animalic musk, hay and leather

I tried Fou d'Absinthe at The Perfume House and really liked the opening! Soft, powdery, very "green" and comforting.. unfortunately I only tested this on a scent strip (that I left in the store) so I didn't get a chance to see how it wore through the day - but definitely worthy of a sample. Tea for Two is very good, totally great for the upcoming months. Mechant Loup reads like it would be ideal for me, but on my skin it's just so bland and uninteresting

Timbuktu, however, I'm currently browsing for a bottle of.
    Shout out for The Perfume House in Portland Oregon! Go northwest! Great store..

Yeah I love that store.. I've spent SO much money there in the last month.. and I'm on the waiting list for so many others that are due in a couple weeks! No regrets!

I'll also give the L'Artisan Aedes de Venustas a try as well.. I don't hear very much about that one.
    I love it. Even though you can only get it through Aedes, it's one of L'Artisan's best.

It's very similar to Amouage Jubilation XXV (also created by Bertrand Duchaufour), but without the sweaty/spicy over-the-top denseness of the Amouage juice (and at about half the price). Basically, Aedes is an incense/resin scent with topnotes of subtle fruit and a splash of coffee (like a shot of Eau du Navigateur mixed in). To my nose it's perfectly unisex, but masculine on a masculine guy. Me and my girlfriend both wear it with gusto.

Morning Star

I seem to be agreeing with most people here. Timbuktu and Tea For Two are the two masculines that leap to mind for me. Navegar is somewhat questionable. (It still smells great, however.)