Code of Conduct

Thread: Suggestions?

Default Suggestions?

Hello,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to wearing fragrances, and even more of one when it comes to buying them. But my man friend always smells so good, and he has hinted that it is something I could aspire to as well!

I was hoping I could get a few suggestions for places to start. I am looking for things that are in the 50$ or under range, and I would like something fruity,maybe citrusy, feminine, but a bit understated as I am not super confident wearing anything, and I'd like to get used to it a bit gradually. I would say not too sweet, but I guess that is a continuum. I tend to like like vanilla or sugar better than floral sweetness, but I don't really want to smell like food. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors, if that makes any difference. I hope you can give me some ideas to try out. Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions?

Welcome to Basenotes!

I would start out with the scents in bath & body works or victoria secret. They tend to be less expensive and can be a good place to start. They definitely have fruity and floral. This will give you experience with learning your body chemistry and not spend an arm and a leg doing it. But of course go by your local perfume counter and spray away. We can suggests perfumes for you to try all day, but the truth is it may not go with your chemistry or you may not like it. Trial and error is something all of us BNers live by. Sniff and test as many scents as you can. We love to smell any bottle we haven't seen before lol. You never know. You say you like fruity/floral scents, but you may discover that orientals smell absolutely wonderful on you. Don't get hung up on trying certain perfumes. Try everything you can get your hands on. Remember that what smells good on paper may not smell good on you. So, always do a skin test. I prefer to test on the arm. The 1st thing I do when I go to the mall is stop by the perfume counter and see if they have anything new. I will spray on a couple that I liked on paper and then go off shopping. This gives me a chance to see how they mix with my chemistry. I often test a frag at least 2 or 3 times before I purchase them. It will save you alot of money in the long run. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a bottle of perfume that smells all kinds of wrong on you. Again, welcome to Basenotes. Oh take your sweety along with you. There's nothing better than being inhaled by your man. When he sniffs a perfume on you and has to close his eyes cause it smells soooo good, then you know you better get you a bottle of that on the quick fast lol. Don't worry about running out cause I'm sure he will never let that happen lol. Have fun.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lestamore View Post
    Hello,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to wearing fragrances, and even more of one when it comes to buying them. But my man friend always smells so good, and he has hinted that it is something I could aspire to as well!

I was hoping I could get a few suggestions for places to start. I am looking for things that are in the 50$ or under range, and I would like something fruity,maybe citrusy, feminine, but a bit understated as I am not super confident wearing anything, and I'd like to get used to it a bit gradually. I would say not too sweet, but I guess that is a continuum. I tend to like like vanilla or sugar better than floral sweetness, but I don't really want to smell like food. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors, if that makes any difference. I hope you can give me some ideas to try out. Thanks!
    Welcome to Basenotes Lestamore. It's an addictive site, and if you hang around you will learn more about fragrances than you ever thought possible.

A couple that I love on my wife that are light and understated (basically as you describe) are Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline and Abercrombie & Fitch 8. They can each be found for $50 or less. Give them a try.

But the most fun can be to go to the mall and sample with your guy. He'll enjoy being included, especially if he's into fragrances himself. Maybe you'll find something you both like.

Basenotes Institution

Hi Lestamore - welcome to Basenotes !
    You may want to try Etsy for something a little different/ niche- Ava Luxe - www.ava-luxe.com or the same perfume shop on Etsy is Ava Perfumes. Her perfumes come in oils now- they are long lasting and reasonable too.

Have a look The Perfumed Court website for great ideas on perfumes- you can search by house, notes ,etc. It helps !
    Most of all, have fun !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hi Lestamore, try

Burberry Brit... Notes: Green Almond, Lime, Pear, White Peony, Almond, Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla, Tonka Bean

Daisy by Marc Jacobs... Notes: Wild Strawberry, Violet Leaves, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Gardenia, Violet Petals, Jasmine Petals, Musk, Vanilla Infusion, White Woods

Nina by Nina Ricci... Notes: Citrus Flesh, Calabrian Lemon, Caipirinha Lime, Red Toffee Apple, Praline, Vanilla, Peony Petals, Moonflower, Applewood, White Cedar, Soft Musk

Juicy Couture... Notes: Watermelon, Mandarin, Pink Passion Fruit, Tuberose, Caramel Créme Brulée, Vanilla Meld, Patchouli

Prices are less at online discounters like beautyencounter, scentiments, fragrancenet.com (use code basenotes for 15% off.)

You also might like some of the eau de toilettes at BathandBodyWorks.com, check them out.
    Last edited by beachroses; 9th October 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks for the responses!
    I am definitely going to go downtown and see what I can find to try out. Unfortunately, it is pretty logistically tricky to get the man out shopping with me, but I will try to bring home samples.

I will certainly update with what I find! And if anyone has any more directions for me to try, I surely appreciate it!

Ask the sales associates based on what you like, maybe they have other ideas.