Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guerlain HERITAGE EDT vs. EDP

What are the differences. (I have the EDT)
    Is the EDP a safe blind buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain HERITAGE EDT vs. EDP

I own both, and in my opinion the EdT is the one for a safe blind buy, and also a good cornerstone for a gentleman's fragrance collection.

The EdP wears far closer to the skin on me, and has a bit of an "animalic" component. It is at times off-putting, but I've fallen prey to all the spells Guerlain conjures.

I've asked a similar question a while back, check out this thread, lots of good info.
    Last edited by Igor01; 8th October 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great and different enough to own a bottle of each. The EdP - by the way: it was the first Eau de Parfum dedicated to men! - is a little smoother, richer and slightly animalic. Lasting power is incredible and if one fragrance could be called "Shalimar pour homme", Héritage EdP is it!

Post Thanks / Like

I would concur with the assessment so far - the EDT is a safe blind buy. I own both, and the EDP can get a bit overwhelming in an office environment if you overspray. But they are both stunning fragrances.

TedP

Interesting, my experience was different - I find that the EDT has a "sharper" opening while the EDP (vintage) is more reserved and understated from the start.

I'm getting myself a bottle of the EdT soon and hope to grab a bottle of the EdP as well, blind of course!

Post Thanks / Like

Does any basenoter know where online one can purchase samples of heritage edp for men?
    Last edited by neal; 10th October 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Scented Monkey has samples of this in EDT, available online.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 29th November 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

While I haven't tried the EDT, I have to concur that the EDP is some potent juice. Lasts and lasts. I too get the animalic, slightly off-putting note in the opening. And it does hang on for awhile. However, once gone you are left with one of the most majestic drydowns. That is the reason why I am on the fence whether to swap it off or not. I am not really a fan of the opening but the drydown is GOLD.

Post Thanks / Like

I had tried the EdP recently and must admit the top notes are VERY animilic compared to the EdT which is more citrusy and oriental

I would def. not wear the EdP to work or close quarters as some people might take offense to it
    The EdT is a MUCH safer blind buy, but you never know...
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly disliked the EDP - too powdery, floral, with an old man vibe.

I love the EDT - an entirely different animal. Rich, warm, mellow, masculine, smooth, sophisticated, romantic, uplifting. Perfect for office, dating or anything formal. Class personified. I could imagine a high level diplomat or chief executive wearing this scent.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 29th November 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Would somebody be so kind to post pictures of the Guerlain Heritage Vintage EDT and the "reformulated" EDT, so we can see how they look and differ from each other ?
    In the older threads on this subject, some of the pictures are gone,,, older (Ebay) links don't show anything...etc...

Thanks
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Neal,

Sorry I misread your post. You were looking for samples of Heritage only. Yes, Scented Monkey has samples of this in EDP, available online.

Where did you see this?
    All I saw was the EDT in the samples section?
    Neal

'vintage' heritage

latest heritage

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post

'vintage' heritage . . .

The box and bottle pictured above is not the vintage formulation. The IFRA allergens listings are clearly visible on the side of the box. That box and bottle are probably c. 2002 or later. It's the formulation after the original vintage formulation pictured below:

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    The box and bottle pictured above is not the vintage formulation. The IFRA allergens listings are clearly visible on the side of the box. That box and bottle are probably c. 2002 or later. It's the formulation after the original vintage formulation pictured below:

scentemental

so does that make mine the 4th incarnation of heritage? I am confused

so does that make mine the 4th incarnation of heritage? I am confused

Yes, as far as I have been able to determine by comparison, we have four incarnations of Héritage EDT. See below:

1. original vintage formulation (1992) in the deeper red, "classic" Guerlain packaging
    2. 1st reformulation, I suspect sometime in the late 1990s (when LVMH took over Guerlain) with the box like the one pictured above but with out IFRA listings
    3. 2nd reformulation, with the box like the one pictured above but with IFRA listings (c. 2002)
    4. current reformulation (c. 2008?); although, I am not sure how much or if at all #4 differs from #3 not having tried it yet. I suspect that it does. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

BTW, the original vintage formulation of the EDT is absolutely superb; it's much closer to the original vintage EDP formulation in its depth, smoothness, and balsamic richness than any of the subsequent reformulations. I think most people would be shocked to see how much the original vintage EDT differs from the subsequent reformulations. It's clear that each subsequent reformulation is a debasement of the original vintage formulation, and as is to be expected, the more contemporary the reformulation, the more you can be sure it differs, for the worse, from the original vintage formulation.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Yes, as far as I have been able to determine by comparison, we have four incarnations of Héritage EDT. See below:

1. original vintage formulation (1992) in the deeper red, "classic" Guerlain packaging
    2. 1st reformulation, I suspect sometime in the late 1990s (when LVMH took over Guerlain) with the box like the one pictured above but with out IFRA listings
    3. 2nd reformulation, with the box like the one pictured above but with IFRA listings (c. 2002)
    4. current reformulation (c. 2008?); although, I am not sure how much or if at all #4 differs from #3 not having tried it yet. I suspect that it does. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

BTW, the original vintage formulation of the EDT is absolutely superb; it's much closer to the original vintage EDP formulation in its depth, smoothness, and balsamic richness than any of the subsequent reformulation. I think most people would be shocked to see how much the original vintage EDT differs from the subsequent reformulations. It's clear that each subsequent reformulation is a debasement of the original vintage formulation, and as is to be expected, the more contemporary the reformulation, the more you can be sure it differs, for the worse, from the original vintage formulation.

scentemental

yay now i feel down about buying the reformulated version. thanks a lot!

yay now i feel down about buying the reformulated version. thanks a lot!

I can certainly delete my post and pretend it all didn't happen if you prefer. My apologies for talking the time and trouble to answer your question.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey scentamental, thanks for the run down on Heritage and its reformulations.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 24th August 2011 at 03:23 AM.

I can certainly delete my post and pretend it all didn't happen if you prefer. My apologies for talking the time and trouble to answer your question.
    i'm not mad at you i'm mad at being conned by guerlain =(

if you havent told me about it i wouldnt have known

Post Thanks / Like

scentemental = priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Guerlain HERITAGE EDT vs. EDP

I have the Heritage edp and like it. My reason for commenting is that I have noticed that the bottles for the mens fragrances from Guerlain are so lack luster in design. A much better job could make the juice look so much the better.

smeller

[...]
    [...]
    scentemental
    Your highly informative post just made me realize that, although it's not the vintage, my 100 ml full bottle is only the second incarnation (the 1st reformulation - and I ordered it online in 2007!!!).

This is the kind of post that makes the Basenotes experience worthwile for me.
    Last edited by smeller; 1st December 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a small bottle of the original which is so good that i feel that i need a bigger bottle. i almost bought one of those newer versions on ebay.

people need to get educated on this, and scentemental does a great job, again and again.

Many thanks to all for their very kind words. They're much appreciated.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 2nd December 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

and now your new blue avatar matches your blue words. i hope you are not feeling blue.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a bottle and the IFRA listing is on the back of the box.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time