Code of Conduct

Default The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

I recently got my hands on some of the reformulated Route du Vetiver, and noticed that it has something in common with the new version of Jardin du Nil - whereas most of the reformulations I've tried are very close to the originals, the new versions of RdV and JdN are both much more female friendly than the originals.

For those who haven't tried the new Route du Vetiver, the main difference between it, and the original is that the sharp masculine accents on the clay, and earthy notes have been toned down, while the amount of jasmine has been ramped up enormously, bringing it to center stage with the earth and vetiver and everything else acting as decoration. It's soft and floral and nutty vs the sharp, earthy original.

I can't percieve as clearly what's going on with the new Jardin du Nil, but again, the sharpness and masculinity are toned down, and it's softer, balmier, soapier - tangy instead of sharp, and alot more unisex.

The changes in other MPG's seem to be more about diluting the same amount of fragrance that was in a 90ml bottle into a 100ml one, but the ones that are different, seem to be going in a unisex direction.

I know Santal Noble and Ambre Precieux are supposed to have changed significantly but haven't yet had the chance to try the new or old versions of either - do people who have tried them think the changes may also be an attempt to make them more "unisexy"?

I know that women buy alot more fragrance than men in general, and that MPG's been having serious financial problems, so maybe that was one strategy. Note that that Bois de Turquie, the MPG released in 2008 in the male bottles is specifically a unisex fragrance, MPG's first.

Have any of the female MPG's been reformulated? I've never heard any of them being dicussed in that light.

I think it was a dangerous move - I think the new Route du Vetiver and Jardin du Nil are quite excellent, but they are different from the originals, and were likely to have turned off loyal buyers of the originals. I think they should have just released them as RdV and JdN "pour elle" or something...

Anyhow, curious as to your thoughts...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

I haven't tried the new formulations, but your description of the new Route du Vetiver sounds really nice! I may actually like it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I haven't tried the new formulations, but your description of the new Route du Vetiver sounds really nice! I may actually like it now.
    Agreed! Rich jasmine meets vetiver sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Agreed! Rich jasmine meets vetiver sounds great.
    Sounds a little bit Vetiver Pour Elle-ish...

It's still Route du Vetiver with all the mud and clay, but it has a soft floral heart - a lady friend said "ooh, I think I might want a bottle of that!" but she liked the old version better on me.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I was disappointed that Vetiver Pour Elle didn't smell in the least bit floral to me, so this might be worth trying. Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

I much much much much preferred the older Route du Vetiver, which was my fave vetiver scent. What they have taken away, was in fact the very reason I liked it so much. ... It is now a shadow of what it was before. which is a real pity !

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a nice vetiver frag. But it's lost some of it's magic for me. But I suppose it is much more "acceptable" now.

It makes sense what you say about making them more unisex friendly !

I heard too that they worked on taming their top notes. Most of which were a little on the strange side. But I have no idea if this is true or not, for I have yet to sample many of the new ones !

Yeah, that's the thing - maybe the new one is better to some or maybe most people, but the old one was a masterpiece and it's super frustrating to people who love it that we can't get it anymore. They should have just called it something else.

I don't think they've really changed their top notes - Parfum d'Habit still has the same dirty-pissy notes for example. I wish we could get into Millet Lage's head!

I wonder if these are changes he always wanted to make and the financial difficulties gave him the chance to do it, or if it was a really hard decision brought on by desperation.

I wonder if Jean LaPorte is horrified or what he thinks of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I much much much much preferred the older Route du Vetiver, which was my fave vetiver scent. What they have taken away, was in fact the very reason I liked it so much. ... It is now a shadow of what it was before. which is a real pity !

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a nice vetiver frag. But it's lost some of it's magic for me. But I suppose it is much more "acceptable" now.

It makes sense what you say about making them more unisex friendly !

I heard too that they worked on taming their top notes. Most of which were a little on the strange side. But I have no idea if this is true or not, for I have yet to sample many of the new ones !
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Yeah, that's the thing - maybe the new one is better to some or maybe most people, but the old one was a masterpiece and it's super frustrating to people who love it that we can't get it anymore. They should have just called it something else.

I don't think they've really changed their top notes - Parfum d'Habit still has the same dirty-pissy notes for example. I wish we could get into Millet Lage's head!

I wonder if these are changes he always wanted to make and the financial difficulties gave him the chance to do it, or if it was a really hard decision brought on by desperation.

I wonder if Jean LaPorte is horrified or what he thinks of the situation.
    I'm guessing it's all been done from necessity, and the wish to perhaps appeal to as many people as possible in harder times ??? ...
    But I suppose they could also just be what he sees as improvements along the way.

My other thought is perhaps the fact that they use a larger percentage of naturals, that maybe it's possible that a change in batch and availability of certain ingredients have necessitated a change perhaps ???

But this is all pure speculation ! ... And I sure do miss that ol' "Route" ~ Damn ! )

Post Thanks / Like

My view is i hate Jean-Paul Millet Lage. I hate alternation to originals !!!!!!!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    My other thought is perhaps the fact that they use a larger percentage of naturals, that maybe it's possible that a change in batch and availability of certain ingredients have necessitated a change perhaps ???
    Egads - I was going to discount that as the new RdV and old one are so different in such a specific way (the amount of jasmine) that it seems like a conscious choice - but I have more than one "vintage" Jardin du Nil, and they are actually rather different one from the other, and from the one I have in the new bottle. One old bottle is alot more rose centered, and the other has the rose more subdued and other florals considerably more prominent. It actually kind of smells somewhere in between the first one and the new one - maybe they changed it incrementally, or maybe it is just batch variation or cheaper ingredients (which was my first theory) ... ack who knows.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I recently tried a sample of vintage Jardin du Nil and found it to be slightly feminine to begin with. I couldn't imagine it being more feminine than it already was.

Though I must note-- whats with all the dirty sock/men's locker room/cheese talk??? I was really confused. To me, the minty geranium top notes are the best part!

Has there been much talk about reformulations for MPG's feminine line?

I can attest Fraicheur Muskissime's new formula a dissapointment. I swear there's got to be more fans of
    FM who share my feelings. Now that was a great unisex now more feminine.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observations Caeser - you might be right...which I agree, is a shame.

Lucky me, I own a vintage bottle of Route du Vetiver and I am eagerly hunting down a vtg bottle of Jardin du Nil.

I couldn't detect any of that locker-room-parmesan cheese smell everyone was always talking about either - maybe LaPorte reformulated that one earlier!

No talk so far of changes in the female line besides my question and your remark on FM.

Indeed the new JdN is more feminine - some of the sharp spices that adorn the florals and aromatics and make it (to my nose anyhow) masculine are subdued.

I have yet to hear anything about changes in Garrigue, Racine, Fraiche Badiane, Centaure or Pour le Jeune Homme...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizzle View Post
    I recently tried a sample of vintage Jardin du Nil and found it to be slightly feminine to begin with. I couldn't imagine it being more feminine than it already was.

Though I must note-- whats with all the dirty sock/men's locker room/cheese talk??? I was really confused. To me, the minty geranium top notes are the best part!

Has there been much talk about reformulations for MPG's feminine line?

I can attest Fraicheur Muskissime's new formula a dissapointment. I swear there's got to be more fans of
    FM who share my feelings. Now that was a great unisex now more feminine.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread