Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I recently got my hands on some of the reformulated Route du Vetiver, and noticed that it has something in common with the new version of Jardin du Nil - whereas most of the reformulations I've tried are very close to the originals, the new versions of RdV and JdN are both much more female friendly than the originals.

    For those who haven't tried the new Route du Vetiver, the main difference between it, and the original is that the sharp masculine accents on the clay, and earthy notes have been toned down, while the amount of jasmine has been ramped up enormously, bringing it to center stage with the earth and vetiver and everything else acting as decoration. It's soft and floral and nutty vs the sharp, earthy original.

    I can't percieve as clearly what's going on with the new Jardin du Nil, but again, the sharpness and masculinity are toned down, and it's softer, balmier, soapier - tangy instead of sharp, and alot more unisex.

    The changes in other MPG's seem to be more about diluting the same amount of fragrance that was in a 90ml bottle into a 100ml one, but the ones that are different, seem to be going in a unisex direction.

    I know Santal Noble and Ambre Precieux are supposed to have changed significantly but haven't yet had the chance to try the new or old versions of either - do people who have tried them think the changes may also be an attempt to make them more "unisexy"?

    I know that women buy alot more fragrance than men in general, and that MPG's been having serious financial problems, so maybe that was one strategy. Note that that Bois de Turquie, the MPG released in 2008 in the male bottles is specifically a unisex fragrance, MPG's first.

    Have any of the female MPG's been reformulated? I've never heard any of them being dicussed in that light.

    I think it was a dangerous move - I think the new Route du Vetiver and Jardin du Nil are quite excellent, but they are different from the originals, and were likely to have turned off loyal buyers of the originals. I think they should have just released them as RdV and JdN "pour elle" or something...

    Anyhow, curious as to your thoughts...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  2. #2
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I haven't tried the new formulations, but your description of the new Route du Vetiver sounds really nice! I may actually like it now.

  3. #3
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I haven't tried the new formulations, but your description of the new Route du Vetiver sounds really nice! I may actually like it now.
    Agreed! Rich jasmine meets vetiver sounds great.

  4. #4
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Agreed! Rich jasmine meets vetiver sounds great.
    Sounds a little bit Vetiver Pour Elle-ish...

  5. #5

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    It's still Route du Vetiver with all the mud and clay, but it has a soft floral heart - a lady friend said "ooh, I think I might want a bottle of that!" but she liked the old version better on me.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  6. #6
    beachroses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I was disappointed that Vetiver Pour Elle didn't smell in the least bit floral to me, so this might be worth trying. Thanks for the review.

  7. #7
    Sybarite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I much much much much preferred the older Route du Vetiver, which was my fave vetiver scent. What they have taken away, was in fact the very reason I liked it so much. ... It is now a shadow of what it was before. which is a real pity !

    I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a nice vetiver frag. But it's lost some of it's magic for me. But I suppose it is much more "acceptable" now.

    It makes sense what you say about making them more unisex friendly !

    I heard too that they worked on taming their top notes. Most of which were a little on the strange side. But I have no idea if this is true or not, for I have yet to sample many of the new ones !

  8. #8

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Yeah, that's the thing - maybe the new one is better to some or maybe most people, but the old one was a masterpiece and it's super frustrating to people who love it that we can't get it anymore. They should have just called it something else.

    I don't think they've really changed their top notes - Parfum d'Habit still has the same dirty-pissy notes for example. I wish we could get into Millet Lage's head!

    I wonder if these are changes he always wanted to make and the financial difficulties gave him the chance to do it, or if it was a really hard decision brought on by desperation.

    I wonder if Jean LaPorte is horrified or what he thinks of the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I much much much much preferred the older Route du Vetiver, which was my fave vetiver scent. What they have taken away, was in fact the very reason I liked it so much. ... It is now a shadow of what it was before. which is a real pity !

    I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a nice vetiver frag. But it's lost some of it's magic for me. But I suppose it is much more "acceptable" now.

    It makes sense what you say about making them more unisex friendly !

    I heard too that they worked on taming their top notes. Most of which were a little on the strange side. But I have no idea if this is true or not, for I have yet to sample many of the new ones !
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  9. #9
    Sybarite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Yeah, that's the thing - maybe the new one is better to some or maybe most people, but the old one was a masterpiece and it's super frustrating to people who love it that we can't get it anymore. They should have just called it something else.

    I don't think they've really changed their top notes - Parfum d'Habit still has the same dirty-pissy notes for example. I wish we could get into Millet Lage's head!

    I wonder if these are changes he always wanted to make and the financial difficulties gave him the chance to do it, or if it was a really hard decision brought on by desperation.

    I wonder if Jean LaPorte is horrified or what he thinks of the situation.
    I'm guessing it's all been done from necessity, and the wish to perhaps appeal to as many people as possible in harder times ??? ...
    But I suppose they could also just be what he sees as improvements along the way.

    My other thought is perhaps the fact that they use a larger percentage of naturals, that maybe it's possible that a change in batch and availability of certain ingredients have necessitated a change perhaps ???

    But this is all pure speculation ! ... And I sure do miss that ol' "Route" ~ Damn ! )

  10. #10
    ohhmygod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    My view is i hate Jean-Paul Millet Lage. I hate alternation to originals !!!!!!!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

    "No Pain, No Gain"

  11. #11

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    My other thought is perhaps the fact that they use a larger percentage of naturals, that maybe it's possible that a change in batch and availability of certain ingredients have necessitated a change perhaps ???
    Egads - I was going to discount that as the new RdV and old one are so different in such a specific way (the amount of jasmine) that it seems like a conscious choice - but I have more than one "vintage" Jardin du Nil, and they are actually rather different one from the other, and from the one I have in the new bottle. One old bottle is alot more rose centered, and the other has the rose more subdued and other florals considerably more prominent. It actually kind of smells somewhere in between the first one and the new one - maybe they changed it incrementally, or maybe it is just batch variation or cheaper ingredients (which was my first theory) ... ack who knows.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  12. #12

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I recently tried a sample of vintage Jardin du Nil and found it to be slightly feminine to begin with. I couldn't imagine it being more feminine than it already was.

    Though I must note-- whats with all the dirty sock/men's locker room/cheese talk??? I was really confused. To me, the minty geranium top notes are the best part!

    Has there been much talk about reformulations for MPG's feminine line?

    I can attest Fraicheur Muskissime's new formula a dissapointment. I swear there's got to be more fans of
    FM who share my feelings. Now that was a great unisex now more feminine.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,728
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    Interesting observations Caeser - you might be right...which I agree, is a shame.

    Lucky me, I own a vintage bottle of Route du Vetiver and I am eagerly hunting down a vtg bottle of Jardin du Nil.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The new MPG's - an attempt to make them unisexy?

    I couldn't detect any of that locker-room-parmesan cheese smell everyone was always talking about either - maybe LaPorte reformulated that one earlier!

    No talk so far of changes in the female line besides my question and your remark on FM.

    Indeed the new JdN is more feminine - some of the sharp spices that adorn the florals and aromatics and make it (to my nose anyhow) masculine are subdued.

    I have yet to hear anything about changes in Garrigue, Racine, Fraiche Badiane, Centaure or Pour le Jeune Homme...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzle View Post
    I recently tried a sample of vintage Jardin du Nil and found it to be slightly feminine to begin with. I couldn't imagine it being more feminine than it already was.

    Though I must note-- whats with all the dirty sock/men's locker room/cheese talk??? I was really confused. To me, the minty geranium top notes are the best part!

    Has there been much talk about reformulations for MPG's feminine line?

    I can attest Fraicheur Muskissime's new formula a dissapointment. I swear there's got to be more fans of
    FM who share my feelings. Now that was a great unisex now more feminine.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



Similar Threads

  1. Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)
    By ItalianStallion in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 25th January 2014, 01:46 PM
  2. Today's Experiment- attempt to recreate Dior Homme
    By Indie_Guy in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th February 2007, 09:51 PM
  3. infusion/distillation make my own oil???
    By czesc in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12th January 2006, 11:51 AM
  4. ESSENTIAL OILS from EMS.  Gonna make my own s
    By SixCats in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 9th July 2005, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •