Code of Conduct

Default Silences - Jacomo

Just received this fragrance today, tried it on, and fell in love. I might have found my HG!

The drydown reminds me, fleetingly, of Habanita and Fleur de Fleurs (Nina Ricci). Not being a "notes" expert, can anyone enlighten me? Is it the galbanum, or something else?

Default Re: Silences - Jacomo

It is (Shhhhh!) the oakmoss you are smelling in the drydown. And now I am going to say something that will probably make you all laugh: as inexpensive and as available as Jacomo fragrances are, Silences bears similarity to many good old chypres partly due to its ending -- O de Lancome, #19, Diva, etc.

Note: despite the word "Paris" on the box, Jacomo is an American designer!

Another note: while buying Silences, please pay attention to the color of the bottle -- the solid black color indicates the newer versions, while the older ones used to come in a grey bottle with black vein-like lines. There are some differences between the newer and the older formulations.
    Last edited by Twolf; 9th October 2009 at 11:57 AM.

I have the black bottle, so it must be the newer one. I like it, but I don't wear it often because it's bit austere for my current mood. I keep it anyway because I know I'll go back to it. I think because there's not a lot of fussiness to this one, that it might layer well with musks, rose, or other florals. It's fun to experiment.

I have got a big honking bottle of Silences and everyone who wants to "experiment" (hahaha) or just try it, is welcome to a little of it. You know what to do, doncha?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    It is (Shhhhh!) the oakmoss you are smelling in the drydown. And now I am going to say something that will probably make you all laugh: as inexpensive and as available as Jacomo fragrances are, Silences bears similarity to many good old chypres partly due to its ending -- O de Lancome, #19, Diva, etc.

Note: despite the word "Paris" on the box, Jacomo is an American designer!

Another note: while buying Silences, please pay attention to the color of the bottle -- the solid black color indicates the newer versions, while the older ones used to come in a grey bottle with black vein-like lines. There are some differences between the newer and the older formulations.
    Hi Twolf, and thanks for the information. So, oakmoss it is! I obviously have the new formulation in the black bottle. Is the original formulation better, richer?

Bumping this as I just bought Silences. I believe the previous poster meant "box" not "bottle" -- the bottles are all the spherical black bottles, but the boxes differ. The older boxes have the grey lines, and the newer are black with the "hologram" logo.

Also, older bottles refer to "parfum de toilette" and newer to "eau de parfum."

I can only speak to the older ones but WOW this is one hell of a green fragrance. Starts with a chanel 19-like galbanum note, then veers into Alliage territory and finally becomes sweeter, only to end on a slightly bitter green drydown. Green is my favorite fragrance category but so many green fragrances only begin on a green note - this is resolutely verdant all the way through!

Wear Silences on the first rainy days of autumn or winter. The cold moisture will really really amp up all that galbanum and moss. You'll feel it as an entity as well as smelling it in the physical realm. It's like conjuring up a spirit, like having the Green Man walk beside you. It's a little terrifying and a lot mystifying - you'll love it and do it again and again.

I blindly bought Silences this weekend (new version). Great! it opens with a magnificently sharp galbanum blast, and as bluelit and jardanel said, it remains resolutely fresh and green throughout, without becoming dark, mossy or leathery. As many other green things, Silences deserves more attention.

I must be in a "green" mood, as some of my current favorites are such (Insense, Metal, Bandit). Futur is on my list, I've smelled it a few times in store, but I need to wear it more properly, I am a little afraid of the drydown, now that oakmoss has been banned (and after reading of Givenchy III's disastrous reformulation, another frag I have missed).

cacio