Code of Conduct

Default Parah Man and Overseas observations

I finally broke my drought on buying scents, when I bought a big 100ml bottle of Parah Man in Hong Kong the other day, for hundreds of Hong Kong dollars, which equated to about A$30. This made it heaps cheaper than its sale price in Italy, where it cost about that for a 50ml bottle.

During the course of my trip, I made the following observations.

Fragrance prices were very expensive in Madrid and Italy, with extremely little by way of decent discounting.

Prices in Croatia were a bit cheaper, and they did have some decent discounts in various stores. Of particular interest was a Douglas store in Zagreb which had very good discounts on a number of recent scents, though I wasn't tempted, as I thought I'd eventually do better in sales back home. By way of contrast, Douglas stores back in Italy had nothing like the discounts the Croatian Douglas store had.

The only cheap scents in Italy, were again to be found in my local Italian hardware store - where 100ml testers of Gaultier Squared, Dior Homme, A*men, Gucci Homme and YSL L'Homme and the like were going for 34 Euros each.

Prices of scents in Hong Kong's Sasa stores weren't quite as dear as they are in Melbourne's retail stores. Older ones like Eternity and Obsession were much cheaper, but the newer ones weren't. And they had some good discounts on a few scents. What struck me as odd on the few scents I picked up, was the very small price difference between 50ml and 100ml bottles. (Note, I didn't check any scents in their street markets).

Anyhow, I'm back home now. Time to see what's going cheap since I left seven weeks ago.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th October 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Default Re: Parah Man and Overseas observations

Great you found a good buy here, Renato. There are a few places tucked away where you can get good discounts on designer stuff, though probably more mainstream where a lot cam in at some point, and from what I can see some of the niche brands seem to be quite a bit cheaper here than States and possibly Oz - I'm guessing that's due to our 'duty free port' type status . . . no VAT or some of the other things they hit you with.

Any basenoters reading this who may be passing thru, please check out the HK section here which Coconut has put some time into, or feel free to PM ahead with your target buys and I'm happy to try and point you in the right direction.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ...Any basenoters reading this who may be passing thru, please check out the HK section here which Coconut has put some time into, or feel free to PM ahead with your target buys and I'm happy to try and point you in the right direction.
    It is for this kind of support i initially thought being a BaseNoter would be a good idea. Thumbs up to you, mr reasonable, for your generous hand across oceans.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Oh! Someone else wanted to buy Parah Man! I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Great you found a good buy here, Renato. There are a few places tucked away where you can get good discounts on designer stuff, though probably more mainstream where a lot cam in at some point, and from what I can see some of the niche brands seem to be quite a bit cheaper here than States and possibly Oz - I'm guessing that's due to our 'duty free port' type status . . . no VAT or some of the other things they hit you with.

Any basenoters reading this who may be passing thru, please check out the HK section here which Coconut has put some time into, or feel free to PM ahead with your target buys and I'm happy to try and point you in the right direction.
    Thanks for that information.
    Unfortunately I didn't have internet access in Italy (which I thought I'd have when I went over), else I'd have checked out the Hong Kong section. Can't beat local knowledge.

In the past few years, the majority of my good purchases have been from Strawberrynet in Hong Kong.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Oh! Someone else wanted to buy Parah Man! I'm not the only one.
    I wonder what's addictive about it to us, which bypasses everybody else?

When I put it on my wrist, I can't stop sniffing it.
    Renato