Code of Conduct

Default SL Fleurs d'Oranger - what happened to it?

I disinctly remember this being much better...a rich orange blossom with a pronounced cumin topnote. I tried it at Sephora today, and it now smells think and syrupy and lack any spice at all. *yawn*

ps - they actually had Chergui at Sephora...I guess that shouldn't surprise me, but it did!

Default Re: SL Fleurs d'Oranger - what happened to it?

Hopefully it's just your impression, sofresh, and has nothing to do with the change of a formula. The day I discover a Serge-Lutens-scent to be altered - imagine they do something to the topnotes of Ambre Sultan etc. like they did in the case of MPG - I'll "freak out".

There has been talk about Fleurs d'Oranger having been reformulated, within the last five years, on The Perfume of Life forums. Combine that with the changes to the colour and smell of Chergui...

If it becomes more commonplace with this house, back-up bottles of vintage Arabie will be imminent.

It could be the tester. The testers at Sephora sometimes don't smell like they should since they are exposed to the bright lights and heat.
    Evenstar

Serge Lutens himself has admitted that they reformulate their perfumes regularly and/or as needed. Just like other manufacturers.

Any major company will reformulate eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Serge Lutens himself has admitted that they reformulate their perfumes regularly and/or as needed. Just like other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post

Any major company will reformulate eventually.
    Link:

http://perfumeoflife.com/index.php?showtopic=32205

I dont know whether it has been reformulated or not but I tried it for the first time earlier this year and wasn't very impressed....the orange blossom note isn't the most natural smelling and has somewhat of a gaseous/plasticky undertone, and the cumin backend is oh so passe now..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I dont know whether it has been reformulated or not but I tried it for the first time earlier this year and wasn't very impressed....the orange blossom note isn't the most natural smelling and has somewhat of a gaseous/plasticky undertone, and the cumin backend is oh so passe now..
    That's the problem with this house - either the new releases are safe and uninspired or the classics just don't smell exactly the same anymore (and these are the two main reasons why I've lost interest in Serge Lutens). I was always suspicious about Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque and Chene - on many occasions, implied that they may have been reformulated or watered down. It seems my suspicions may have been correct all along...

It's really sad as this was the house that introduced me to niche, and whatever once made this house great is slowly fading away via reformulations.
    Last edited by Trebor; 10th October 2009 at 10:51 PM.

I'm a fan and bought a bottle for my wife and I a few months ago. She wears it mostly, and we both enjoy it very much.

I can't compare FdO to what it smelled like N years ago because I had no exposure to it then. In a sense that would be futile anyway, I'm very content with the formulation SL offer today.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Wow, your sephora carries Serge Lutens?

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Wow, your sephora carries Serge Lutens?
    A few yes...lucky me!

I can see the lights & display at Sephora turning the juice...but I don't think this was the case. It didn't smell "off", it smelled completely different. No spice at all...just a boring, jasmine-esque floral.

And btw - Chergui is NOT the same anymore...not to my nose. Since it was (re?)added to the main line, it's been toyed with...it might just be me, but it's inadequate.

I have a six year old bottle... :/ Might that be one of the reformulated ones? Idk... But if you want to, I can always send you a decant for you to check, now that you have smelled the "reformulated" version... Just let me know...

I think what really rattles my cage is how Serge thinks he's being more co-operative or open about the issue than other perfume houses (thus expecting to be gently patted on the back) while, at the same time, he hasn't made it easy to differentiate the packaging from one formulation to another. For example, one could say about Chergui that the black label bottles are the ones to go for. However, I've encountered at least two formulations from this packaging alone (green and brown juice)!