Code of Conduct

Default Do you recognize your fragrances on others?

Some fragrances are easily recognizable (LeMale, Cool Waters, etc), but perhaps there's a fragrance you don't wear all the time, and someone close in proximity is wearing it. Do you recognize the scent?

There's this guy that I see on a regular basis at work. He walked past me one day, and I thought he smelled quite fresh. It was a softer Envy-like oriental smell to me. But I never asked him what it was. I saw him yesterday, and we were talking. I said to him as nonchalantly as I could, "by the way...what fragrances do you wear?" Turns out, he only wears one thing: Hypnose! Stop playing!!!! I wear Hypnose!!! lol Now lately, I don't find myself wearing it often, but it use to be a favorite of mine. But I was surprised that this was the fragrance he was wearing, and that I didn't detect it. I will note though that he was wearing a Hypnose "oil" that he purchased from a kiosk in a mall somewhere. He showed me the bottle, and the juice looked just like the one in the real Hypnose bottle. I smelled the bottle, and sure enough, it smelled like Hypnose. Anyways, I just thought it was interesting, because I had been thinking about this mystery fragrance for a while now, wondering what it could be, and all along, I had the dag on thing. lol

Any similar stories?

Default Re: Do you recognize your fragrances on others?

I almost never smell fragrances on any other guys, period. A few women, yes, but hardly ever men. Guys are really up tight about wearing fragrance.

I recognize my own fragrances perfectly when I wear them, because I am familiar with them and their development on me.

Identifying someone elses fragrance is really tough, unless it's a truly distinctive one, even if you are familiar with it. At least that's how it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I almost never smell fragrances on any other guys, period. A few women, yes, but hardly ever men. Guys are really up tight about wearing fragrance.
    That's strange. I smell cologne on guys all the time. 2 out of 5 times, it's JPG LeMale.

one day i was working and this dude was helping me out and all, so he walks in front of me and i could smell that it was le male lol

i was wearing 1 Million by the way

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I recognize my own fragrances perfectly when I wear them, because I am familiar with them and their development on me.

Identifying someone elses fragrance is really tough, unless it's a truly distinctive one, even if you are familiar with it. At least that's how it works for me.
    I would think it would be easy to identify a fragrance you wear on others. I guess some fragrances do wear a little differently from person to person.

Around here; I smell Old Spice. Even ADG is a refreshing change every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    one day i was working and this dude was helping me out and all, so he walks in front of me and i could smell that it was le male lol

i was wearing 1 Million by the way
    Everybody wears LeMale. lol I gotta find this 1 Million fragrance, btw. You're the third person I've come across tthat mentioned it.

Sometimes I do, even on ladies wearing my frags.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Everybody wears LeMale. lol I gotta find this 1 Million fragrance, btw. You're the third person I've come across tthat mentioned it.
    yea i know makes me wanna throw mine away

and i heard that 1 Million is very hard to find over there in the US, very nice scent, perfect for fall/winter. Good luck finding it

I rarely smell my own fragrance on others, but I can often spot the main stream stuff on other ppl (Sunflowers, NR, etc)

I don't find many ppl who wear niche frags.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Dependent

From memory, the ones I've smelled and recognized on friends the most are TdH, Cool Water, Eternity For Men, but most significantly, there was a friend wearing Loewe Solo once, and I just had to ask him what it was. Noted it down in my phone, went to test, and ended up buying it the very next day. That was almost a year ago I think? It is one of my favorite scents still.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th October 2009 at 01:46 PM.

I would think it would be easy to identify a fragrance you wear on others. I guess some fragrances do wear a little differently from person to person.
    Yes and no. Many people wear little (or no!) fragrance, so when you do get an occasional whiff of something it's usually faint and indistinct. Some scents are extremely distinct and easy to identify though.

The guy next to me in lecture hall two days ago was definately wearing Escada Magnetism for Men.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Around here; I smell Old Spice. Even ADG is a refreshing change every now and then.
    Speaking of old spice...I just got back from the grocery store and they had some old spice colognes and after shave, to my surprise. I dabbed a bit of the cologne on my finger and realized that it smells just like the Avon Mesmerize after shave lotion I have. Very similar. I have no clue what adg smells like. I just remember that I wasn't impressed with it when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    yea i know makes me wanna throw mine away

and i heard that 1 Million is very hard to find over there in the US, very nice scent, perfect for fall/winter. Good luck finding it
    Le Male is really nice though, but it's just waaay too popular. Besides-I don't really like how it smells on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    From memory, the ones I've smelled and recognized on friends the most are TdH, Cool Water, Eternity For Men, but most significantly, there was a friend wearing Loewe Solo once, and I just had to ask him what it was. Noted it down in my phone, went to test, and ended up buying it the very next day. That was almost a year ago I think? It is one of my favorite scents still.
    I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to look it up and possibly sample...

Yes, I've smelt Tobacco Vanille once on someone. The whole TF private line is rather popular here.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Yes, I've smelt Tobacco Vanille once on someone. The whole TF private line is rather popular here.
    Hey...how do you think that compares with Guerlain SDV?

Hey...how do you think that compares with Guerlain SDV?
    Have you read this thread, it may help. I think both are good in their own way, but I prefer TV just because it's more masculine. SDV is a little too soft and smooth for me in a way I don't like.

Nsamadi, yes I did see that thread, and in fact posted, stating I would save the thead and that I was glad to see so many different SDV alternatives that I can sample. Hopefully some are less expensive than SDV, which I'm not even sure where I would buy it if I decided to do so.

Almost are the frags i smell on other guys belong to the aquatic, fresh with hints of wood category. Most are copies of one another that i find them hard to differentiate. But i have smelled Kouros one on an older gentlemen and Fleur du Male once too. The guy wearing the FdM actually made me stop for a few seconds...it was the one of the first times i smelled someone wearing something non-aquatic.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I met a friend and he was wearing a very nice scent. I haven't recognized it. It was L'Occitane Ambre

I usually say what scents women are wearing because they are more distinctive, f.e. Hypnose, Chance etc.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

On strangers, I have recognized

A*men
    Flowerbomb
    Tom Ford White Patchouli

On my friends, I can easily tell if they are wearing

Tuscan Leather
    Tobacco Vanille
    Aoud Lime
    Mugler Cologne