Code of Conduct

Default What's up with Ross

Hi everyone, i wanted to share a story with you to see if anyone else has been in this situation.
    A few days ago, after going to Marshall's for a fragrance adventure, my wife said she wanted to go to Ross. As soon as we walk in, some nasty looking, morbidly obese "Loss Prevention" employee (basically a security guard) starts following me around for no reason. Keep in mind, I shower twice a day and was clean shaven, my hair was nice (it's pretty short), I was wearing a really nice Calvin Klein shirt, and CK shorts, Johnston and Murphy boat shoes, a solid gold Rolex Datejust watch with diamonds, and Dolce and Gabbana prescription glasses, and I smelled great and looked polished. I have a master's degree from a prestigious University. And yet this high school dropout was following me around like I was some criminal that was going to steal ten dollars worth of junk. Needless to say he was making me very uncomfortable. I mean he was literally staring at me, I don't think he even blinked once. When he was close enough to me I could smell him, and his BO was so foul it made me nauseas. So I told my wife I would wait for her outside the store. As I was walking out I saw they had some fragrances right by the front door in a locked glass case. So I went over to take a quick look. They were all crap, shit like Curve and Adidas. As I turned around to leave I saw him standing at my side glaring at me. I just ignored him and walked out the store, and he followed me out to make sure I was leaving.
    I just don't understand how a store like that can remain in business. For one it was ghetto, and looked like shit. And two, the employees there treat the customers, or potential customers like thieves. When I left the store, I called the store manager and gave him a piece of my mind, and his excuse was that they have had a lot of people steal merchandise from them so they were just being cautious. He didn't even apologize! I am still really pissed. Am I over reacting, or am I right to be pissed? What do you guys think? Have any of you been in a similar situation before, if so, how did you handle the situation?
    Last edited by Maz24; 11th October 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Default Re: What's up with Ross

Gah. That sucks!

Thinking positively, maybe the manager just doesn't know how to handle conflict and immediately upon getting off the phone with you, went over and re-trained staff on shrinkage control.

Sorry to hear it. I bet your call made more of a difference than you know.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

The security guard may be mentally deficient or something. This doesn't sound like the behavior of a stable individual. The manager must have convinced this security guard to watch people and be on the look out because of past thefts. He was just exercising the little power that he has. The security person always standing near the entrance is exactly why I avoid Ross most of the time. I really want to go in sometimes but then I just think of the atmosphere and then just avoid it. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are so much better. Don't expect to find anything at Ross that you can't find elsewhere as far as fragrances go.

I've experienced such things before, too - although not in a perfume store. Some "agents" following you around while choosing a CD or DVD or something. My "policy" in such cases is a simple one: I leave. Don't have to give such people my money. Of course I could start talking like "Listen, Mr., I'm just here to choose some things to buy. No need to be that mistrustful". But often those people are not the smartest ones, and for that reason I try to stay away from them. I once witnessed how such a person really started troubling a father with a young boy for no good reason - and it was no fun. In the worst case it is you that gets damaged, not the gorilla.
    (However, if there was a real "bargain" I wouldn't mind if they treated me like some villain. In today's world you can't expect much if you don't pay much.)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 11th October 2009 at 01:26 PM.

I would confront him. Right there. No use fuming over it later.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Keep in mind, I shower twice a day and was clean shaven, my hair was nice (it's pretty short), I was wearing a really nice Calvin Klein shirt, and CK shorts, Johnston and Murphy boat shoes, a solid gold Rolex Datejust watch with diamonds, and Dolce and Gabbana prescription glasses, and I smelled great and looked polished. I have a master's degree from a prestigious University. And yet this high school dropout was following me around like I was some criminal that was going to steal ten dollars worth of junk.
    So, what? The world's biggest thieves share profiles similar (or superior) to yours.

Just don't go back to that s***hole...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    So, what? The world's biggest thieves share profiles similar (or superior) to yours.

Just don't go back to that s***hole...

Thieves yes.......but shoplifters? I doubt it

I reckon that the guard didn't have the intelligence to know who's a suspect and who isn't...plus the fakes are so good these days...how the hell did he know that you paid in excess of 10k for your Rolex or just about $200 ............same goes for your habiliments....

You should have confronted him if it was bothering you so much......Just don't go back there ever....and don't forget to bad mouth them..........

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Thieves yes.......but shoplifters? I doubt it

I reckon that the guard didn't have the intelligence to know who's a suspect and who isn't...plus the fakes are so good these days...how the hell did he know that you paid in excess of 10k for your Rolex or just about $200 ............same goes for your habiliments....

You should have confronted him if it was bothering you so much......Just don't go back there ever....and don't forget to bad mouth them..........
    Thieves and shoplifters are, essentially, the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Good point about fakes, though.

I tend to runaway from smelly d00dz. Cant be bothered calling the store manager anyway. I feel for u man
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Yeah, Ross is really ghetto. I never shop there anymore because I find the atmosphere so repulsive. I've never had such an awful experience with "loss prevention" though, usually they just stand by the door. I don't know how you managed to keep silent with such a creature following you around, staring, I certainly would have confronted it.

I just don't like that they lock up all the frags in a display case. I'll only really shop at the one near my school - the one closer to home the employees always get grumpy when I ask for the case to open.

AromiErotici

I would have put my arm around his shoulder and said" Yo slice, walk with me...tawk to me.." and then pull out my trusty atomizer and give his dusty butt a few spritzes of B.O eradicator.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I would have put my arm around his shoulder and said" Yo slice, walk with me...tawk to me.." and then pull out my trusty atomizer and give his dusty butt a few spritzes of B.O eradicator.
    LOL! Why would someone who wears a nice & expensive Rolex with a Master degree shops at Ross? Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive would be more appropriate.

Just messing with ya

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    ... my wife said she wanted to go to Ross. As soon as we walk in, some nasty looking, morbidly obese "Loss Prevention" employee (basically a security guard) starts following me around for no reason. Keep in mind, I shower twice a day ...
    I think I would have been too busy laughing at his behavior to even take offense. If you smelled good, maybe he thought you were a tasty snack he could chew on during his 10 minute break, and he didn't want you getting too far ahead of him. Keep a supply of Twinkies in the car from now, just to throw such people off track. I probably would have found a short rack of clothes to circle quickly in order to tire him out, or found a long rack of clothes to crawl back and forth under a few times, just to see how motivated he was to get to the other side to be near me.

Truthfully, he was probably mentally challenged in some way. I probably would have tried to talk to him to figure out if he was or not. That's not to say that you should tolerate his body odor. Once you figure out what his issue is, evasive action is still a good idea. If that doesn't work, embarrassing him enough to keep his distance might work. "Could you keep your distance? You smell like two unwashed goats copulating." What the hell, you've got nothing to lose, right?

Holy crap you sound like a complete douchebag. Sounds like he was just trying to do his job, keeping an eye on everyone and not profile. Perhaps he should only eyeball the hoodlums with the baggy hippity hop pants?

But really, how dare this plebeian even breathe in your prestigious MD carrying presence!! Posts like this make me wish we get nuked.

I'll be moderated for this but I don't care I feel like speaking my mind.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Maybe he wanted to steal your watch.

Cool Re: What's up with Ross

I don't know about the store you speak of, but it sounds to me like this guy was jealous of you. Rough, overbearing redneck types like this hate men like you because you make them look so bad. I know what you mean because I've gone through this myself. Especially when a guy is with his girl. I've seen some of these guys wearing old t-shirts, dirty ballcaps with an oil ring the size of Exxon, unwashed hair and torn jeans. Then you come along dressed in designer duds and shatter their woman's idea of what a real man looks like.

The great thing is I never get a dirty look like that from a woman, however. If I'm styling and profiling with my Prada shades or Versace eyeglasses, nice jewelry (not Rolex, but I wish), dress pants, great cologne and polished shoes, I get that look "he's not from around here". I love it.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be arrogant, because I'm thankful for the few things I have. Time was I did good to even have a few clothes to wear. I worked hard for what I have so I am proud to show off a little every now and then. If people like this "security guard" or "Larry the Cable Guy" don't like it, they better just learn to love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I don't know about the store you speak of, but it sounds to me like this guy was jealous of you. Rough, overbearing redneck types like this hate men like you because you make them look so bad. I know what you mean because I've gone through this myself. Especially when a guy is with his girl. I've seen some of these guys wearing old t-shirts, dirty ballcaps with an oil ring the size of Exxon, unwashed hair and torn jeans. Then you come along dressed in designer duds and shatter their woman's idea of what a real man looks like.

The great thing is I never get a dirty look like that from a woman, however. If I'm styling and profiling with my Prada shades or Versace eyeglasses, nice jewelry (not Rolex, but I wish), dress pants, great cologne and polished shoes, I get that look "he's not from around here". I love it.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be arrogant, because I'm thankful for the few things I have. Time was I did good to even have a few clothes to wear. I worked hard for what I have so I am proud to show off a little every now and then. If people like this "security guard" or "Larry the Cable Guy" don't like it, they better just learn to love it!
    Very good post!

Dressing head to toe in 'quality' gear doesn't guarantee that you'll get respect from everyone - it can easily go the other way. Jealousy is a very ugly thing indeed...
    Last edited by Trebor; 11th October 2009 at 07:42 PM.

I didn't realize that being a perfume snob also gave one the ability to read minds and diagnose psychological conditions based on a biased description of events.

you guys rock!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by s.mcqueen View Post
    I didn't realize that being a perfume snob gave one the ability to read minds

you guys rock!
    Yes....thank you. I am the amazing Carnac of Powerhouse snobbery.

I didn't realize that being a perfume snob also gave one the ability to read minds and diagnose psychological conditions based on a biased description of events.

you guys rock!

Ross is a dive. Bottom line. The security aspect does suck, but as I've said in other posts, there are tons of ANIMALS who rob these places blind. We pay the price. I have not been to a Ross in a while now, and I have no plans for anytime soon.

I will save my sheckels for the good stuff at reputable stores.

THAT SAID, the same thing happened to me at my local Dillard's by a sales lady there. She was an absolute hawk, and totally turned me off. Maybe it's this sucky economy making retailers extra cautious.

AromiErotici

Feeling frisky are we Treb.....?

Yes....thank you. I am the amazing Carnac of Powerhouse snobbery.
    Cool! What am I thinking right now?

It's pretty easy to make such an accusation. It usually reduces the conversation to nothing. I can also easily make the claim that the original post was racist in that well educated, Calvin Klein wearing, Rolex blinging, ghetto discount store shoppers don't thieve. Only those that wear work shirts with the top three buttons buttoned, dickies shorts, and base ball caps with the brim turned up thieve.

What a joke!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    I just don't like that they lock up all the frags in a display case.
    Well I can't blame them for that. It's either that or resort to the individual plastic cases like Marshalls/TJ Maxx - to prevent the animals from ripping open the boxes to test the fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Personally, after reading your posts and getting all ghetto-uppity, I don't give a shit what you're thinking bro.

Morning Star

Yes, it's a little known fact that this ability comes naturally from smelling lots of aldehydes. There might have been some bias there, but I've had things like this happen to me once in a blue moon too. It happens. And when a person is behaving oddly, and is sportin' some nasty BO funk on top of it, it's not a leap of either genius or clairvoyance to ascribe it to some sort of mental condition, even if it's just mild depression. Unless you're lost in the jungle, there's no excuse for not staying clean. Anyone who is working in Ross probably has access to inexpensive water and soap ... somewhere.
    Personally, after reading your posts and getting all ghetto-uppity, I don't give a shit what you're thinking bro.
    Kudos. The dapper Don Corleone stole my post. That's what I get for falling asleep in the middle of the day. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. News flash: People who are self-confident don't lock and load so aggressively when someone says something with which they disagree. If your ideas are correct, they are ultimately their own defense. Having said that, I now need to make a burnt offering at the altar of the late, great Milton Friedman. If you don't like what's being sold (and that includes the experience of being followed around by funky-smellin' Deputy Dog) ... just take your business elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Ross is a dive. Bottom line. The security aspect does suck, but as I've said in other posts, there are tons of ANIMALS who rob these places blind. We pay the price.
    Don't I know it. There are so many of them now, by the time I get there, there's nothing left for me to boost.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 11th October 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I'm annoying, and enjoy providing a moving target.

I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't blame the employee
    after all he does what he is told to do and gets paid for it

it just seems people are more keen with their responsibilities due to huge job competition going on due to low economy
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Talking Re: What's up with Ross

Very good post!

Dressing head to toe in 'quality' gear doesn't guarantee that you'll get respect from everyone - it can easily go the other way. Jealousy is a very ugly thing indeed...
    First, thanks Trebor.

As for anybody who thinks we're turning "our nose up" at blue collar working folks, speaking for myself, think again. I have very good friends that work at the laundry mat (which btw I don't have my own washer and dryer), drive or ride public transit (I don't own a car!), stock shelves at the grocery and bartend. I probably have only one or two friends I would describe as wealthy (my boss and my landlord!). Myth one shattered.

Most of my life I've lived dirt poor, paycheck to paycheck (if I wasn't laid off) and have just turned it around in recent years. Needless to say I'm not wealthy and have no right to belittle hard working, blue collar people whatsoever. The few nice things I have were come by honest and through work. So do I have a right to show off? You damn right!

Where I lose patience is with people who want to blame others for their predicament, or just blame anything rather than help themselves. They take an attitude with somebody who looks good and takes pride in themselves. As Astaroth said, there is also no excuse for not staying clean. NONE!

Bottom line is the next time you see somebody who has things you want or a lifestyle you'd like to have, instead of name calling or whining, make a choice to do something about it. If you are a garbage tipper or plumber, outwork those around you. If you flip hamburgers, do the same. It doesn't matter. Eventually someone will notice. Then instead of flipping the burgers, you'll be telling someone else how to flip them.

Sorry, I'll get off my pedastal now.

If it's a piece of shit store, I'm not surprised you got piece of shit service.

I would have also called the manager, but if I noticed soem smelly douche following me while I'm in the store, I would have straight up confronted him about it and made him feel stupid about following someone who doesn't look even remotely suspicious.

Another (better) and fun thing to do, is ask him for his advice on something and strike a legitimate conversation. If he pulls back, just keep asking him stupid questions until HE wants to leave. If he's interested in talking to you, he'll warm up and stop being such a douche. I'm done that kind of thing in past situations and it's always worked out well.

It's totally understandable that you're upset - after all, who doesn't get upset about bad service?
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 12th October 2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Sales thread here

Meh. You were innocent, he assumed wrong, he forgot to shower, you showered.

In the whole scheme of things... you won. You're shopping, not shoplifting. And honestly, I'm used to getting followed. Find is downright hilarious when I'm watched and the real culprits are stealing. A simple point and statement "See that?" and watching them try to run after them... hilarious.

And Fox News told me Obama is elitist!

I actually woulda just asked the security WTF was up while in the store, not talked to the manager. But the OP's original post made him sound like an annoying dick (But I had a Calvin Klein shirt!)

The Ross store i've gone to in the past is so cluttered and disorganized. There also seems to be long lines there because they don't employ enough cashiers. No great loss to me in not shopping there. Marshalls is much better imo.

I love how the term "GHETTO" is alright for people to say. Honestly, ive never been to a ghetto nor do I know anyone from a ghetto. So i refrain from using the term "GHETTO" . Lets try using a diffferent term, how about " Less than Desirable" try that one brains. In other news, I got a nice deal on Burberry Brit at guess where... ROSS.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    I love how the term "GHETTO" is alright for people to say. Honestly, ive never been to a ghetto nor do I know anyone from a ghetto. So i refrain from using the term "GHETTO" . Lets try using a diffferent term, how about " Less than Desirable" try that one brains. In other news, I got a nice deal on Burberry Brit at guess where... ROSS.
    I've lived in the barrio for 24 years (graffiti everywhere, cheap taco and ice cream on a stick vendors everywhere, nobody speaks english, some stores accept pesos, etc) and I can assure you that Ross is fairly ghetto. At any rate Marshalls has a much better ambience. Ross is always dark and dingy, and, as another member mentioned, often cluttered and disorganized.

Besides, who has the PC bug far enough up their ass to say / type "Less than Desirable" when ghetto is so much more graphic and gets your point across so much more effectively. Jesus.

I wonder how many more posts this thread will get before getting locked. Anyone wanna take bets?
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 12th October 2009 at 02:31 AM.

AromiErotici

The ghetto may have been a step up from where I lived before relocating to where I am now. There's no need for me to refrain from that term since it's part of my background and personality. Nor do I throw it at someone else with malice.

It's a real slice of life my friend......and it seems to be here to stay.

Jesus, you should see me when I go fragrance shopping. It looks like I just rolled out of bed with a hangover, yet I have everyone dying to help me. I don't know how I do it.

There is no way anyone finds you cool or interesting IRL.

The guy was very ignorant of his job description. I don't think customer harassment is part of the job. I would have spoke to the manager and asked if this is how they train new hires. Better yet, as mentioned, I would just leave and not give that establishment any money.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ghetto is an Italian word that means a neighborhood where minorities (originally, Jews) are forced to live by law or circumstance. No particular minority group is singled out with the use of this word.

It happened to me once in NY at a ghetto Walgreens. I swore the guy was trying to crawl up my butt. After a while I just decided to mess with him. I asked a lot of questions about security cameras, where they were, how the buzzers on shoplifted merchandise worked and so forth. Then I looked around all shifty eyed before I left. I think the guy may have started frisking people after me. He did not look amused when I asked "so if I put my coat over my head can the security cameras see through it or will I be incognito? Can the security camera see through my clothes like into my underwear? I had a pair of Xray glasses as kid I got from the back of a comic book that did that. I'd wear them and go to the pool a lot. You ever think of using the tapes to make porn online? It pays more than what the store pays you." Whenever someone annoys me I'll make them regret they ever looked my way.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    It happened to me once in NY at a ghetto Walgreens. I swore the guy was trying to crawl up my butt. After a while I just decided to mess with him. I asked a lot of questions about security cameras, where they were, how the buzzers on shoplifted merchandise worked and so forth. Then I looked around all shifty eyed before I left. I think the guy may have started frisking people after me. He did not look amused when I asked "so if I put my coat over my head can the security cameras see through it or will I be incognito? Can the security camera see through my clothes like into my underwear? I had a pair of Xray glasses as kid I got from the back of a comic book that did that. I'd wear them and go to the pool a lot. You ever think of using the tapes to make porn online? It pays more than what the store pays you." Whenever someone annoys me I'll make them regret they ever looked my way.
    Yes, this is similar to my response to telemarketers if they keep pestering me. I also like to throw in a ridiculous accent. Sometimes I'll yell "Get off the phone, Mortimer!" in the background in hopes that they will really think my name is Mortimer and that I'm not allowed to use the phone. I should re-evaluate my priorities in life.
    Last edited by hammersj; 12th October 2009 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Love it, ahahah.

I try to do the same kind of thing until they get annoyed and leave me alone.
    Sales thread here

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I've lived in the barrio for 24 years (graffiti everywhere, cheap taco and ice cream on a stick vendors everywhere, nobody speaks english, some stores accept pesos, etc)
    Yup. That would be my girlfriend's neighborhood in East L.A. It's always an adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I wonder how many more posts this thread will get before getting locked. Anyone wanna take bets?
    I was thinking of starting a poll to see whether people thought it would last longer than the Polanski thread. It's a tough call.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I was thinking of starting a poll to see whether people thought it would last longer than the Polanski thread. It's a tough call.
    Oooooo! Polanski's still open? I'm outa here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Oooooo! Polanski's still open? I'm outa here!
    But not for long...

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    But not for long...
    I should have mentioned that the thread had already been dispatched into the Void. Oddly enough, it was closed without any explanation from the moderator. I'm guessing Quarry's smilie waving its bra around as a flag of surrender was the last straw. Such lasciviousness ...

I'll bet the guy was reprimanded for slacking on the job and was compensating by overdoing it. This kind of thing happens a lot at any workplace.

No need to go to some "ghetto" to find such "security.". Airports, anyone?

Locked for so much trolling
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.