Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Ultimate Incense/wood scent.

I need some opinions on an incense/wood fragrance for the holidays. Here's a bit of preference background. I am looking for an oriental temple type incense with a combination of resins and spices, rosewood or sandalwood and/or any of the other woods. In short I want the type of scent one would smell in the temple at Shangrala. Not too dry or too sweet. Please help.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 10th October 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ultimate Incense/wood scent.

I don't think I've tried enough to qualify for knowing the "ultimate" incense/wood scent, but a couple I think are definitely worth trying:

L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer - like walking into a Chinatown antique store. The distinct smell of antique rosewood/teak furniture mingling with medicinal Chinese herbs and a pinch of liquor and that smell of a place where incense has been burned daily for years.

L'Artisan Aedes de Venustas - woody incense with a gourmand twist. Imagine what you're describing, but with a shot of British sticky cake in the middle. Perfect for the holidays, which is why I'd bring it up.

I also finally just smelled Heeley Cardinan, which is technically Roman incense and woods, but really surprised me with how much I liked it.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Kyoto / Dzongkha / Jubilation XXV and maybe Epic Woman could be worth a shot.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I got the 'lost temple incense' big time from Le Labo Rose 31. This part of the development last for about one hour though before fading to a more rose + woods combo..

The new Nasomatto Black Afgano is a pretty serious incense fragrance... not the slightest bit sweet and LOTS of resin/tarry notes. You can also try the new Fahrenheit Absolute for resin/incense/wood.

Any of the CdG Incense line would work (I like Avignon), as would Armani Bois d'Encens (not much woods) or Guerlain Bois d'Armenie (which does have a hint of vanilla but lots of woody notes).

Blog Entries

Out of the CdG Incense line I've tried Avignon and Kyoto so far and I like Avignon quite a lot. Sounds much like what you're after.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I agree that the Comme des Garcons Incense line is certainly worth checking out, in particular for your question, Jaisalmer might be the ticket.
    I also will say that Olibanum by Profumum is excellent.
    And finally, here's an invitation to check out the Coneheads social group here at Basenotes. It is more than pine scents, there is a good thread on resin and incense:
    http://community.basenotes.net/group...scussionid=193

Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

The new Wazamba by Parfums d'Empire sounds like a fit.
    It also starrs some fruit but the base is distinctively ruled by incense and wood IMHO. You might want to apply liberally though

Miller Harris Encens de Bois. Excellent and meditative, I like it eons more than any of the CDG's. I'd also add my recommendation for Parfumerie Generale Querelle and Les Nez Let Me Play The Lion -- insanely good woody incense scents which in my opinion should be the reference scale for others to follow and both of which rank pretty high on my preference scale.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

If you want something nice for an even nicer price, get Christian Lacroix's Tumulte pour homme.
    It smells a little bit similar to CDG Kyoto, but less refined and rich.

Tauer Incense Extreme.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I think that from what I have tried Odeur 71 might be what you 're looking for. I haven't tried any of the incense CdG line yet but 71 is a quite conventional, non sweet, strong woody incense.

Basenotes Institution

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens

Bois d'Encens is a winner for me. Gorgeous frankincense mellowed with balsamic notes and spiced up in the top with pepper. Definitely give it a try.

Some good recommendations so far. I agree with Avignon, Jaisalmer, Tumulte, Olibanum, Dzongkha, Querelle, and Passage d'Enfer. I'm not a fan of Wazamba. I would add Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi and Olivier Durbano's Rock Crystal and Black Tourmaline, although the latter smells more like the temple has burned to the ground.

I'm still getting to know it a bit, but Le Labo's Vetvier 46 has got a pretty intense incense thing going on...not getting a lot of vetiver out of it.

CdG Kyoto and believe it or not Gucci Pour Homme both take me to a mysterious almost chill-inducing open temple type place when I wear them. There are many other more incense heavy fragrances but these two are the most "transportive" of the ones I've tried. Almost eerily so.
    Last edited by nthny; 10th October 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Black Tourmaline ... Campfire Smoky incense and burning wood!

Gucci Pour Homme

Amouage's new Epic Man feels like a collision of Chinese, Arabic and Catholic traditions. Worth trying.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th October 2009 at 03:01 PM.

How about Etro Messe de Minuit?

CDG Incense line and Encens et Lavende by SL. I've not sampled the Serge Noir but if Mike recommends it, I'm sure its good.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love Serge Noire, but it is not a crowd pleaser. It is one of those love it or hate it fragrances.
    IMHO it is better dabbed than sprayed.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    The new Nasomatto Black Afgano is a pretty serious incense fragrance... not the slightest bit sweet and LOTS of resin/tarry notes. You can also try the new Fahrenheit Absolute for resin/incense/wood.

Any of the CdG Incense line would work (I like Avignon), as would Armani Bois d'Encens (not much woods) or Guerlain Bois d'Armenie (which does have a hint of vanilla but lots of woody notes).
    Black Afgano is very sweet.

Give CdG: Red Palisander a go, dry rosewood and spice with smoky myrrh.

Having not tried any of the scents you have mentioned, I have tried DK Black Cashmere... To me, that's the ultimate incense/wood scent... You might like it, guys...

I think that the question of what is the ultimate Incense/wood scent is a fair question. Especially since we all spend so much time obsessing over these frags. As fragrance junkies we should all be able to just go get the ultimate one - incense or wood - so what is it?

What threw me for a loop on this question was the clarification of what would a temple in Shambala smell like? I have no idea about that. Probably smells sort of Tibetan which means it is likely to be woody incence with some agarwood in it?

Already mentioned are some incense great ones which I also love - MH En Sens de Bois, Encens d' Bois, Incense Extreme, Olibanum, Gucci PH, Black Tourmaline, Avignon, Kyoto, Passage d' Enfer, Jubilation XXV, Bois d' Encens, Jaisalmer, Black Afghano, Epic Man, Encens et Lavande all are good. I will add Tauer Incense Rose and Neil Morris Taj as also suggested.

But, what is the ultimate? If I was going into a temple in Shangrala I would expect an incense that has some saffron in it and I don't see one here with saffron as a primary note. Like a saffron shamana fragrance that White Lotus makes, with incense, cedar, patchouli and orris in there too. Where is that one?

The fact that there is almost no agreement on this thread about the ULTIMATE means to me that the ultimate incense has yet to be created! Get busy perfumers! All we want is the ultimate one. And when you make it please name it ULTIMATE INCENSE so we can find it easily. Is this too much to ask?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 11th October 2009 at 02:45 PM.

l'air du desert marocain
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Ultimate Incense/wood scent.

Wow! This is my kind of thread! It is pretty obvious that there is great diversity in the individual perspectives and appreciation for incense.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 11th October 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Amouage Jubilation opens with a very soft 5 seconds, then goes into a very cloying sweet half hour and dries down to a pure incense for a very long drydown. It is a multiple personality caxe.

Palisander by CdG.

I'm the first to mention Dia? Wow, never thought it would take that long to come up. IMO, the ULTIMATE incense/wood.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

There's one more that IMO can stand head held high amongst present company and that's Annick Goutals Encens Flamboyante. I didn't put it in earlier because the OP mentioned Shangri La, which suggested the more Oriental Temple Incense style as opposed to the European / Western Mass etc.