Code of Conduct

Default Vol de Nuit Extrait? Help me buy myself a giftie!

OK, I am rapidly approaching my 40th birthday, and I've decided to steal an idea from Divatologist, and then mercilessly change the rules. In other words, I'm buying myself an extravagant full bottle, but I'm not restricting myself to 1969, because, well, I want an excuse to buy some from another year.

My top contender is a bottle of Vol de Nuit Parfum. I was wondering, though....when did reformulations occur, and what is the best way for me to find a "good" bottle? This is expensive stuff, and I want to be sure to make the right investment! I can special order a new bottle, or even order one online...but will these be a lesser incarnation of the glorious scent? I have only sampled a vintage EdT...and I love it but it disappears after about 5 minutes on me....

My runner up options? Mitsouko parfum (I already have a small bottle, so I figure it can wait) Samsara Parfum (I love it, but a little less than I love the others) and a honkin huge Exclusifs bottle of Cuir de Russie (I have a sizeable decant of the vintage juice already, so not urgent)
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 12th October 2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Default Re: Vol de Nuit Extrait? Help me buy myself a giftie!

The latest VdN is actually not a botched reformulation... It's still a very good fragrance. That being said, vintage formulations are a bit richer, fuller, butterier.
    But if you can't find vintage, or don't have the patience to wait and search, the current formulation is absolutely fine.

My rule of thumb for Guerlains is to try to find the golden package with a black square on the top front, or older if possible.
    Last edited by tott; 12th October 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with tott - 'new' Vol de Nuit parfum is just gorgeous. It is very close to the vintage formula. Of course Mitsouko parfum is wonderful stuff too. Either of them are great choices.

If you are able to safely buy a vintage bottle, look for the 1960's packaging (black & white squiggly lines that looks like this box).

Happy Birthday! One more year for me and I'll be 40 too!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th October 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    The latest VdN is actually not a botched reformulation... It's still a very good fragrance. That being said, vintage formulations are a bit richer, fuller, butterier.
    But if you can't find vintage, or don't have the patience to wait and search, the current formulation is absolutely fine.
    The current VdN isn't half bad, indeed! It is less dark and decidedly easier to wear than the vintage. The lack of darkness makes it a bit more feminine to my nose, but I'd still wear it. For the rest, I agree with tott.

(my reference is a bottle of 50's extrait I own)
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Any advice as to where to buy? I can order a full ounce for $315 (!) from Neiman Marcus or Bergdorfs...or, allegedly also for $200 with no box from Perfume Network. (who also claim to have the 8ml parfum atomizer for $80) I am skeered of perfumenetwork, though.

Do they make a 1/2 oz bottle? 1/4 oz? I have a pretty big wardrobe and think a full oz might be a bit much, anyway. Is there a freestanding Guerlain boutique in NYC? Boston? (I live exactly halfway between the two!) Alternatively, is there a good source for vintage?

I know a Basenoter that I trust had a lovely bottle up for sale here about a month ago. How I wish I'd bought it!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Only 30 ml bottles are produced nowadays. There used to be 8 ml spray refills and 7,5 ml bottles; probably other sizes as well further back in time.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Any advice as to where to buy? I can order a full ounce for $315 (!) from Neiman Marcus or Bergdorfs...or, allegedly also for $200 with no box from Perfume Network. (who also claim to have the 8ml parfum atomizer for $80) I am skeered of perfumenetwork, though.

Do they make a 1/2 oz bottle? 1/4 oz? I have a pretty big wardrobe and think a full oz might be a bit much, anyway. Is there a freestanding Guerlain boutique in NYC? Boston? (I live exactly halfway between the two!) Alternatively, is there a good source for vintage?

I know a Basenoter that I trust had a lovely bottle up for sale here about a month ago. How I wish I'd bought it!
    I would buy it from a trusted source, YCCMM. I have bought vintage Guerlain's from Ebay Sellers, but only very professional ones with lot's of feedback and in the US.

I have a decant of the current VdN Extrait and it's absolutely wonderful! I haven't tried the vintage, but you really cannot go wrong with the current version.