Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    I just posted a review of Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain, on Perfume Shrine - and I've copied it below also:

    __________________________________________

    Some fragrances play the part of the “quiet, silent type”. Let me explain: Strangely, there are fragrances that I’ve sampled that smell like nothing at all. Well…not nothing…but it smells as if a hole has opened up in the air and for a few minutes there is a blank space where the top notes belong. Like pushing PLAY on your IPod and watching the track begin (0:00, 0:01…) and no music plays. This has happened to me several times and I have no idea why. However, most of the time (luckily) scents that start out this way usually turn out to be fragrances that I grow to love. Like Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain.

    Before this I sampled the ‘classic’ lavender fougere by Guerlain: Jicky. The Eau de Toilette was too excessively talcum powder prominent, and although I could appreciate the lavender, it felt uncomfortable and slightly matronly on me.. Jicky Eau de Parfum is a shocker: so embarrassingly civet prominent in the top notes, I was instantly repulsed. Waiting for those top notes to calm down took a bit too long and tiresome so I considered sampling the parfum next when I got a sample of MdM.

    The first time I sprayed it – I smelled a tiny bit of the Guerlinade, but that was it. Nothing. Sample off? Nose fatigue? A second time, I smelled a bit of the lavender but nothing as spectacular as the Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain – a gushing lavender / purple violets that’s almost aroma therapeutic . The 3rd time I smelled it I was instantly greeted with a totally different accord – the familiar style of perfumery like Jicky – but swirled together into an entirely different pattern. Jicky remixed into a sturdier more solidly constructed accord. Wonderful! Perfect balance, with all of the parts of Jicky that I wanted: exceedingly high quality lavender, rosemary and bergamot; that unique fern aura; the rich Guerlinade – they are all here, but blended into the civet and woody notes in a richer and luxurious way. The fragrance evolves with a quiet, floral heart giving the patchouli a sophisticated, powdery nuance. Small parts of it remind me of wearing a refreshing eaux cologne, yet it simultaneously retains subtle and important details of Guerlain’s classic feminine fragrances. Not an easy feat.

    It doesn’t scream for attention – it is essentially a subtle fragrance, hushed – making its presence known in tiny whiffs here and there, throughout the day, all day. It is, perhaps, for this reason why I couldn’t smell it when I first sampled it. There’s not a blast of aldehydes or synthetic woody ambers to diffuse this scent quickly. And the lavender, sometimes extremely medicinal and sharp, is soft.

    I admit – I’m the quiet, silent type myself. At a cocktail party, you’ll find me off in the corner checking out the host’s CD collection instead of socializing and interacting with others. I speak very little but when I speak, I choose my words very carefully…looking you straight in the eyes.

    I’m okay being this type of “guy”. It’s who I am. It’s who my father is. Problems come and go. Challenges are thrown my way... I have horrible days, just like everyone else does. I choose to keep all of that inside, most of the time – introspective, reflective and calm to everyone. Only when you get closer to me, do I open up, and only then will I reveal what’s going on underneath the surface.

    Just like Mouchoir de Monsieur.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Nice review, Mike.
    Is MdM something that you could see wearing frequently in rotation or is it more appropriate as a special ocassion fragrance, to pull out for trustee meetings, gala balls, and such?

    Trying unsuccessfully to conjure you as a cocktail party wallflower...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th October 2009 at 02:58 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  3. #3
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Nice review Mike. You are really becoming skilled at this.

    I understand exactly what you meant about the "nothing" aspect of MdM. The same thing happened to me, but I chose not to give it as many chances as you have. I may have to go back and re-sample.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    That's a very well done review. MdM is one of staples and I wear it weekly, usually during my morning workout or before bed. What did you experience for longevity? On me I only experience a couple hours, hence why I rarely choose it as a SOTD. However I've seen others report much better longevity. For me MdM and Jicky (EdP) are pretty much interchangeable except for Jicky's lush civet. I don't mind civet at all but as mikeperez says it's very prominent in Jicky. For availability MdM has essentially become boutique only, but just in the last few days I've seen bottles at some etailers, though for more money then boutiques.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... exceedingly high quality lavender, rosemary and bergamot; that unique fern aura; the rich Guerlinade – they are all here, but blended into the civet and woody notes in a richer and luxurious way. The fragrance evolves with a quiet, floral heart giving the patchouli a sophisticated, powdery nuance. Small parts of it remind me of wearing a refreshing eaux cologne, yet it simultaneously retains subtle and important details of Guerlain’s classic feminine fragrances. Not an easy feat.
    Fascinating, mike. Really interesting. I agree 100% with the section above. Analytically, that is where I see it. But my journey to that spot is different. Equally personal, but a different path.
    I love history, I am an historian. So for me, my path to Mouchoir is by those genteel, somewhat abandoned gracious manners and scents of years gone by. Mouchoir seems like a "historical" scent to me. It puts me in touch with that vibe.
    I love the Victorian British scents, and the Italian scents of the late 1800's for the same reason. I love to stand in the shoes of people of another era. And this scent is one way to do that.
    Same experience, different interpretation.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Mike, it sounds like we share similar personalities and your description of MdM sounds really good and right up my alley.

    Can you or anyone compare/contrast it to Ungaro II which is also a lavender/vanilla/civet with mixed floral scent, and also Amouage Reflection which is rather soft and powdery but shares some common notes and a common personality, I think (some commonality in rosemary, a quieter, sweeter floral heart, subtle use of patchouli, etc).
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,324

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Mouchoir de Monsieur is a great scent.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post


    It doesn’t scream for attention – it is essentially a subtle fragrance, hushed – making its presence known in tiny whiffs here and there, throughout the day, all day.

    .
    The words above have me in a trance.

    Guerlains are fragrances that take me a while to love (except L'Instant EDP which was funnily enough instantly loved), MdM sounds like a worthy frag to sample.

    Thanks M!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  9. #9

    Post Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Great review Mike; very interesting observations. When it comes to Jicky, I feel similar. Mouchoir de Monsieur slowly grew on me. Now it's my number one scent.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    I have always regarded Mouchoir de Monsieur as being one of the most difficult fragrant experiences to express into words. It probably did need someone to immerse themselves in the very unique world that it produces. Merely explaining the technical changes through the pyramid doesn't really do it justice, so your added personal perspective works extremely well

    Many thanks for sharing this Mike, it's a very impressive critique
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 13th October 2009 at 02:27 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    There are days when the coumarinic haze of Mouchoir doesn't suit me, but most of the time I thoroughly enjoy it. I do feel it breathes history and I only wear it with a crisp white shirt and suit.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can you or anyone compare/contrast it to Ungaro II which is also a lavender/vanilla/civet with mixed floral scent
    They're quite alike, but U2 is sweeter and the notes of U2 are more muted (i.e. they blend more into one single smell). I ended up trading my bottle of U2 away because it couldn't hold a candle to MdM, in my book at least.

    Thanks for the review Mike, it's very nice. To be honest, I'd never expected you to be the type of guy you describe yourself to be!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    I love the gentlemanly bergamot and lavender opening accord of MdM, I instantly feel like I've been transformed into Elgar's Edwardian world. I only wish these Enigma Variations lasted a bit longer. In less than a shake of a Civet Cat's tail, I'm back to Mr. Ruggles and my internet gyrations.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th October 2009 at 01:06 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Fascinating, mike. Really interesting. I agree 100% with the section above. Analytically, that is where I see it. But my journey to that spot is different. Equally personal, but a different path.
    I love history, I am an historian. So for me, my path to Mouchoir is by those genteel, somewhat abandoned gracious manners and scents of years gone by. Mouchoir seems like a "historical" scent to me. It puts me in touch with that vibe.
    I love the Victorian British scents, and the Italian scents of the late 1800's for the same reason. I love to stand in the shoes of people of another era. And this scent is one way to do that.
    Same experience, different interpretation.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Here, here, OdyM. Ditto on the historical connotations. Yes, Mouchoir *is* an elegant scent and "gentlemanly" is the word that comes to mind. Not gaudy or garish. It is mature and whispers refinement and graciousness.

    As I like to scutinise the name and marketing of scent (including the bottles), I must point out the name--"mouchoir de monsieur" meaning "gentleman's handkerchief" in French--is telling. The handkerchief, from the nineteenth century and before, is an assessory rarely seen in our days of facial tissue and Kleenex. A man might give a woman his perfumed handkerchief to daub her brow after a vigourous polka or gallop; leaving the handkerchief in the lady's possession might occasion another chance to associate with her. Happily, many such handkerchiefs were broidered with a man's cipher, leaving no doubt to the identity of the owner. Imagine the distress of a lady with a collection of these handkerchiefs without ciphers, which were often perfumed with a man's scent, not to mention--if carried in the breast pocket of a coat--the scent of a man's skin...

    The Guerlain site mentions the use of handkerchiefs as love tokens. I would also like to add they were accessories to be carried in the hand...unfolded...and manipulated, as a man might use a cane or a hat. (Women had shawls and fans, and also carried handkerchiefs, as well.)

    If the handkerchief is used during the taking of snuff, you will want to be careful about giving the handkerchief to anyone at all. LOL!
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th October 2009 at 12:43 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  15. #15
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,865

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...... Jicky remixed into a sturdier more solidly constructed accord......
    Great review, Mike. I love MdM but rarely wear it anymore. I don't see it as having bigger bones. Not by a long shot. I see it as a sparer version of Jicky, built on a smaller frame with fewer things happening, and perhaps appearing sturdier and more solidly constructed. Same with most men's fragrances. "In perfumes, the male of the species is always smaller." That quote holds up 90% of the time.

    You got the feel of the thing down. I like both, and might prefer the overall scent of MdM, but I'll take Jicky in the long run because it just gives a little more satisfaction. I wear it primarily around the house. Sort of like the protecting genie Turin talks about in his review of Osmanthus. I like the EDP, but it gets a little too oriental, so I just do the EDT. It wears easy, and I don't have any problem with it being matronly. I'm pretty far from matronly. I see what you're sayin though.

    Great stuff, man. And for what it's worth, MdM is a hell of a lot better fragrance than the woody-amber-nuclear-radiance-attack that is Heritage. It is one of the most instantly appealing fragrances I've smelled, but I always wondered why I never wore it in either concentration. I figured it out in Turin's review when he talked about its tremendous radiance(generally a bad thing for a masculine). This stuff is incoming, and hard to defend against. Heritage was a favorite of Princess Diana, and supposedly many other women wear it, including Nadine de Rothschild. People go on about it being so masculine, and I don't get it at all. As Turin said, just add a drop of jasmine in it and delete the masculine. It's so close already. A lot of them are. Whatever. I'm not into the masculine/feminine crap anyway. But one thing's for sure, Heritage just gets louder by the minute once it heats up on the skin, and I usually get it off pretty fast once it does.

    Here's to MdM. Thanks for the review.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Is MdM discontinued or on limited supply? I've never seen it in any dept store or online vendor.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  17. #17

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Thanks for the review Mike! Lovely. To me, lavender oil in general has this "transparent" / "un-deep" feel, I sort of get the picture of evaporated butter, but because MdM has more bergamot plus patchouli to fill up the core, I actually feel MdM to be a much less "subdued" scent than Jicky. Jicky is in my catalogue the most transparent of the Guerlains (competing with Chant d'Arômes for the title).

  18. #18

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Brilliant review Mike. I haven't smelled MdM yet but it looks like I'll have to sometime sooner


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  19. #19

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Excellent review!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Thanks for the review, Mike. Good to have you around, Pluran! And Mike thanks for pointing out the rosemary note in Jicky. This actually really helps me perceive something that's been knocking at the service entrance of my olfactory brain for some time.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Excellent review, Mike. Mouchoir de Monsieur has been at the top of my favorites since I first smelled it. I don't wear it too often because I think of it as being too elegant for my usual persona.

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can you or anyone compare/contrast it to Ungaro II which is also a lavender/vanilla/civet with mixed floral scent...
    I think that the main difference between M de M and Ungaro II is that Ungaro II has more of a woody character and M de M doesn't. M de M has a lighter, more historic and elegant persona . The sandalwood, leather, and patcholi of U II form a very definite and solid deep base and its lavender isn't as strong as M de M. I find the civet strong in both but M de M uses it in a more elegant, less sensual way.

    For me Jicky is stronger than M de M.

    Nice reading you again, Pluran.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Nice review, Mike.
    Is MdM something that you could see wearing frequently in rotation or is it more appropriate as a special ocassion fragrance, to pull out for trustee meetings, gala balls, and such?

    Trying unsuccessfully to conjure you as a cocktail party wallflower...
    Thanks. I find it uncomfortable to pigeonhole scents as 'appropriate' for certain occasions, but once I wore MdM while lounging around the house in boxer shorts and a cut off t-shirt and I felt embarrassingly uncomfortable. Not sure why, but MdM seems to click, when one is dressed up. Not necessarily formal dress, but definitely not casual.
    As for my 'cocktail wallflower' confession...hey, what can I say. There's a shy little boy (see my avatar) trapped inside of this big ol' body of mine and it takes scents like MdM to connect instantly with that part of me.

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Nice review Mike. You are really becoming skilled at this.

    I understand exactly what you meant about the "nothing" aspect of MdM. The same thing happened to me, but I chose not to give it as many chances as you have. I may have to go back and re-sample.
    Thanks AE.

    Yes, please re-smell. Any scent as good as MdM deserves a few chances, in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    That's a very well done review. MdM is one of staples and I wear it weekly, usually during my morning workout or before bed. What did you experience for longevity? On me I only experience a couple hours, hence why I rarely choose it as a SOTD. However I've seen others report much better longevity. For me MdM and Jicky (EdP) are pretty much interchangeable except for Jicky's lush civet. I don't mind civet at all but as mikeperez says it's very prominent in Jicky. For availability MdM has essentially become boutique only, but just in the last few days I've seen bottles at some etailers, though for more money then boutiques.
    Thanks heynow. I experience average to above-average longevity from it. But here's the thing: I overapply. It's the only way I can get it to stick. If I do, it lasts on me all day - sometimes even eclipsing my afternoon SOTD so that at the end of the day, I still smell the mornings application of MdM. It's the civet, I think. It's not easy to source a bottle, for sure. Even some of the boutiques I've been to (the one at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach) didn't have it on the shelf.

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Fascinating, mike. Really interesting. I agree 100% with the section above. Analytically, that is where I see it. But my journey to that spot is different. Equally personal, but a different path.
    I love history, I am an historian. So for me, my path to Mouchoir is by those genteel, somewhat abandoned gracious manners and scents of years gone by. Mouchoir seems like a "historical" scent to me. It puts me in touch with that vibe.
    I love the Victorian British scents, and the Italian scents of the late 1800's for the same reason. I love to stand in the shoes of people of another era. And this scent is one way to do that.
    Same experience, different interpretation.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Thanks ody. Your description of MdM is beautiful and I really understand the importance of it, while simultaneously enjoying the smell of it.

    Honestly, there is a huge amount of 'Victorian British' scents that I still have not properly smelled (the D'Orsay line, the Penhaligons, etc). Too many scents...too little time. But one of these days, I'll get around to them eventually!

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Mike, it sounds like we share similar personalities and your description of MdM sounds really good and right up my alley.

    Can you or anyone compare/contrast it to Ungaro II which is also a lavender/vanilla/civet with mixed floral scent, and also Amouage Reflection which is rather soft and powdery but shares some common notes and a common personality, I think (some commonality in rosemary, a quieter, sweeter floral heart, subtle use of patchouli, etc).
    Thanks. I have never smelled Ungaro II, you mentioning it has my interest piqued now. I do not like Reflection (I'm assuming you're talking about the men's?), although honestly I've only sampled it once.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th October 2009 at 10:31 PM.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    The words above have me in a trance.

    Guerlains are fragrances that take me a while to love (except L'Instant EDP which was funnily enough instantly loved), MdM sounds like a worthy frag to sample.

    Thanks M!
    Thanks - I, like you, can be mesmerized by subtle, beautiful things. You must try MdM, if you are a Guerlain fan. As Ody mentioned, it's like a wonderfully beautiful history lesson in a bottle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Great review Mike; very interesting observations. When it comes to Jicky, I feel similar. Mouchoir de Monsieur slowly grew on me. Now it's my number one scent.
    Thanks. I am very grateful I was patient enough to finally enjoy it. Now that I have, I am thinking of revisiting some of the Guerlains that I did not like when I first sampled them (Coriolan, AA Rose Magnifica, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I have always regarded Mouchoir de Monsieur as being one of the most difficult fragrant experiences to express into words. It probably did need someone to immerse themselves in the very unique world that it produces. Merely explaining the technical changes through the pyramid doesn't really do it justice, so your added personal perspective works extremely well

    Many thanks for sharing this Mike, it's a very impressive critique
    Thanks Insaleffe - it was a toughie. When I finally fell for it, the scent became very hard to explain in a review. Kind of like trying to describe why you like a certain pair of jeans that fit you the most comfortably. When I started to writing about my love of subtle scents a few weeks ago, I had a 'light bulb moment' that sparked the outline to the MdM review. I tried I followed the classic advice, "Write what you know".

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    There are days when the coumarinic haze of Mouchoir doesn't suit me, but most of the time I thoroughly enjoy it. I do feel it breathes history and I only wear it with a crisp white shirt and suit.
    I wish I knew more about courmarin, to be able to detect it in scents (maybe I do know what it smells like, I just haven't ever concentrated on it enough, to name it?).

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    ...Thanks for the review Mike, it's very nice. To be honest, I'd never expected you to be the type of guy you describe yourself to be!
    Thanks Merlino. Eh...you'd think with almost 14,000 posts under my belt here at BN, that I'd be the one doing all of the talking in person? But no, I'm the quiet one. The internet allows us to portray another side of ourselves, no?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th October 2009 at 04:28 AM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Excellent review. I couldn't get behind Mouchoir de Monsieur, but found Jicky EdT more to my liking.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Jicky gets my vote too. While MdM is absolutely lovely, classy and unique, it's longevity is just abysmal on me. BTW Mike, your reviews have a way of domesticating and personalizing your fragrances - it's so clear that you own and live with them. You're very unpretentious and direct, two good qualities for sure! Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th October 2009 at 04:59 AM.

  26. #26

    Smile Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    It's interesting how I grew to love it. After sampling it for maybe five or six times and always left kind of indifferent about it I almost accidentally sprayed it one more time and it all connected; the most velvety and distinctive drydown. It's not that I found it horrid or even interesting at first, I just thought it was very average - it's rare for me to feel this way and suddenly fall for a scent. Usually one can tell if a fragrance is challenging one and merits more testings. This makes me worried; maybe I've missed the beauty of some other great ones, which has similar subtle hidden beauty.

    Guerlinade is obviously there, but instead of turning overlty powdery it always stays very solid and focused. That's the key for me.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    After reading, I think I would like to get to know Mikeperez more than I would MdM
    I've recently tested MdM( thanks Dr Creed!) and have been mesmerized by its subtlety.
    Last edited by CDG; 14th October 2009 at 05:46 AM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Mouchoir de Monsieur is a classic. It is one of my all time favorites because it is so easy to wear and noncloying. Yes, it is subtle, classy, and rich smelling. You have good taste. Keep on enjoying it, too!!

  29. #29

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    This review only indirectly reasserts one of the few fragrance testings that turned into a lifelong passion, since, without sounding cliched, after trying MdM, it was love at first whiff, turning into a lasting, "committed" devotion.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Thanks for your review Mike! lookin forward to sample this one..

  31. #31
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love the gentlemanly bergamot and lavender opening accord of MdM, I instantly feel like I've been transformed into Elgar's Edwardian world. I only wish these Enigma Variations lasted a bit longer. In less than a shake of a Civet Cat's tail, I'm back to Mr. Ruggles and my internet gyrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Jicky gets my vote too. While MdM is absolutely lovely, classy and unique, it's longevity is just abysmal on me. BTW Mike, your reviews have a way of domesticating and personalizing your fragrances - it's so clear that you own and live with them. You're very unpretentious and direct, two good qualities for sure! Keep up the good work!
    I remember you owning a bottle of MdM and then selling it, but I couldn't remember why. Although for me the short longevity (like the fantastic-yet-short-lived Apres L'Ondee) I can tolerate, since the scent is so wonderful.

    Thanks for the compliments buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ...As I like to scutinise the name and marketing of scent (including the bottles), I must point out the name--"mouchoir de monsieur" meaning "gentleman's handkerchief" in French--is telling. The handkerchief, from the nineteenth century and before, is an assessory rarely seen in our days of facial tissue and Kleenex. A man might give a woman his perfumed handkerchief to daub her brow after a vigourous polka or gallop; leaving the handkerchief in the lady's possession might occasion another chance to associate with her. Happily, many such handkerchiefs were broidered with a man's cipher, leaving no doubt to the identity of the owner. Imagine the distress of a lady with a collection of these handkerchiefs without ciphers, which were often perfumed with a man's scent, not to mention--if carried in the breast pocket of a coat--the scent of a man's skin...
    ...
    My Dad kept handkerchiefs in his pocket all of the time, when I was growing up. I think he still does. It's something he picked up in the Marine Corps, I think. I have vivid memories of him handing me his handkerchief to blow my nose or wipe my brow, and his fragrance emanating from it. Usually British Sterling or Wild Country by Avon. Sometimes Brut.

    Ever so often, when I go out clubbing, I take a handkerchief with me since I sweat a lot when I dance and a handkerchief is handier than a cocktail napkin from the bar. Sometimes I scent it. It feels a little silly, but I'm a sucker for those British/Victorian rituals.

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Great review, Mike. I love MdM but rarely wear it anymore. I don't see it as having bigger bones. Not by a long shot. I see it as a sparer version of Jicky, built on a smaller frame with fewer things happening, and perhaps appearing sturdier and more solidly constructed. Same with most men's fragrances. "In perfumes, the male of the species is always smaller." That quote holds up 90% of the time.

    You got the feel of the thing down. I like both, and might prefer the overall scent of MdM, but I'll take Jicky in the long run because it just gives a little more satisfaction. I wear it primarily around the house. Sort of like the protecting genie Turin talks about in his review of Osmanthus. I like the EDP, but it gets a little too oriental, so I just do the EDT. It wears easy, and I don't have any problem with it being matronly. I'm pretty far from matronly. I see what you're sayin though.

    Great stuff, man. And for what it's worth, MdM is a hell of a lot better fragrance than the woody-amber-nuclear-radiance-attack that is Heritage. It is one of the most instantly appealing fragrances I've smelled, but I always wondered why I never wore it in either concentration. I figured it out in Turin's review when he talked about its tremendous radiance(generally a bad thing for a masculine). This stuff is incoming, and hard to defend against. Heritage was a favorite of Princess Diana, and supposedly many other women wear it, including Nadine de Rothschild. People go on about it being so masculine, and I don't get it at all. As Turin said, just add a drop of jasmine in it and delete the masculine. It's so close already. A lot of them are. Whatever. I'm not into the masculine/feminine crap anyway. But one thing's for sure, Heritage just gets louder by the minute once it heats up on the skin, and I usually get it off pretty fast once it does.

    Here's to MdM. Thanks for the review.
    Thank you Pluran - it's hella nice to see you back posting on BN, you've been missed.

    I see your point about MdM smelling solid and yet realistically being less solid than Jicky. One of these days I'm going to 'man up' and get Jicky EdP. But, what I neglected to post, is that I was able to get a small amount of vintage Jicky Eau de Cologne and honestly it's my favorite version of Jicky. I was afraid of using the word 'matronly' in my review, but I'm glad you see what I mean. Hey...I wear Shalimar EdC every day to bed, and many people call that one matronly. LOL. We all approach scents like these, so differently...even at different times of our life. It's what makes being a fragrance enthusiast so interesting, I think.

    And Heritage, I think the vintage EdP is just breathtakingly beautiful...but I have a bottle of 'new' EdT and I have to be super careful or it gives me a headache when I apply it. The After Shave (vintage) is also easier to wear.

    Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Is MdM discontinued or on limited supply? I've never seen it in any dept store or online vendor.
    It is not discontinued, it is on the official Guerlain website. It is hard to find online. I bought mine from a Basenoter, but I believe I've only seen it in stock, at Fragrancenet and Escentual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Thanks for the review Mike! Lovely. To me, lavender oil in general has this "transparent" / "un-deep" feel, I sort of get the picture of evaporated butter, but because MdM has more bergamot plus patchouli to fill up the core, I actually feel MdM to be a much less "subdued" scent than Jicky. Jicky is in my catalogue the most transparent of the Guerlains (competing with Chant d'Arômes for the title).
    Thank you Ulrik.

    I must say, lavender smells SO different in MdM (and Jicky) versus all of the other lavenders I've smelled. I was just having this conversation with a Basenoter yesterday about AA Lavande Velours, which is very sharp and medicinal lavender (you know...like the actual plant!) whereas in MdM it does lavender so differently...yes, transparent. And although I wouldn't call Jicky transparent (well, atleast not the EdP), but compared to something like say... Idylle, I see what you mean!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th October 2009 at 10:23 PM.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Great review Mike!

    Yesterday I had to go in for an ambulatory hernia surgery, and while getting dressed in the morning I thought carefully about what, if anything, I should wear for the hospital experience. I decided to please myself so it was one spray on the chest of Mouchoir de Monsieur. I checked in at 11 for a 12 noon surgery which really started after one o'clock.

    After the recovery period, about four o'clock, I got dressed and my nurse asked me about my cologne. She said it was the most subtle fragrance she had ever smelt and resembled nothing of other men's colognes. She told me she hoped she could buy some for her husband. While still groggy from the anesthesia it took me a couple of minutes to remember what I had put on. I did mention that it was not altogether easy to find. She mentioned going on the internet to search for it.

    The surgery went very well, and the appreciation of Mouchoir de Monsieur was a bonus.
    Last edited by jdemetre; 14th October 2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typos

  33. #33
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Brilliant review Mike. I haven't smelled MdM yet but it looks like I'll have to sometime sooner
    You must smell it Amit, I'd love to know what you think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnnum View Post
    Excellent review!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Thanks for the review, Mike. Good to have you around, Pluran! And Mike thanks for pointing out the rosemary note in Jicky. This actually really helps me perceive something that's been knocking at the service entrance of my olfactory brain for some time.
    Thanks Stroll...I must admit I owe thanks to the Guerlain boutique printed catalogue, for helping guide my nose towards the rosemary. It's presence in MdM is miles away from the resinous, woody plants leaves fresh from the ground (I have a rosemary bush on the side of my house) and smells a bit more like stirring a glass of iced tea with a rosemary branch and smelling/sipping the combination.

    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Excellent review, Mike. Mouchoir de Monsieur has been at the top of my favorites since I first smelled it. I don't wear it too often because I think of it as being too elegant for my usual persona.
    Thanks Foetidus. And if I may quote Yves St. Laurent who said, 'Isn't elegance forgetting what one is wearing?'

    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Excellent review. I couldn't get behind Mouchoir de Monsieur, but found Jicky EdT more to my liking.
    Thanks bokaba. I see you are not alone, Jicky EdT is so popular w/ many Basenoters (lot's of men, usually), but it's the lack of powder in MdM that makes it easier for me to enjoy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th October 2009 at 10:33 PM.

  34. #34
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    It's interesting how I grew to love it. After sampling it for maybe five or six times and always left kind of indifferent about it I almost accidentally sprayed it one more time and it all connected; the most velvety and distinctive drydown. It's not that I found it horrid or even interesting at first, I just thought it was very average - it's rare for me to feel this way and suddenly fall for a scent. Usually one can tell if a fragrance is challenging one and merits more testings. This makes me worried; maybe I've missed the beauty of some other great ones, which has similar subtle hidden beauty.

    Guerlinade is obviously there, but instead of turning overlty powdery it always stays very solid and focused. That's the key for me.
    I felt this way about a handful of Guerlains...total underwhelmed. Maybe I should try to revisit them soon...I might like them more now. And yes, the Guerlinade being devoid of powder, is one of my favorite aspects of the scent. Mostly for ones own personal enjoyment, since it wears so close.

    Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    After reading, I think I would like to get to know Mikeperez more than I would MdM
    I've recently tested MdM( thanks Dr Creed!) and have been mesmerized by its subtlety.
    LOL - trust me CDG, MdM is much more interesting than I am.


    Quote Originally Posted by tanto View Post
    Mouchoir de Monsieur is a classic. It is one of my all time favorites because it is so easy to wear and noncloying. Yes, it is subtle, classy, and rich smelling. You have good taste. Keep on enjoying it, too!!
    Thanks tanto!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    This review only indirectly reasserts one of the few fragrance testings that turned into a lifelong passion, since, without sounding cliched, after trying MdM, it was love at first whiff, turning into a lasting, "committed" devotion.
    Don't you just love falling in love at first whiff, with fragrances? I do. The last one that did this to me was Philtre d'Amour (and of course I own a bottle now).

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Thanks for your review Mike! lookin forward to sample this one..
    Oh you must sample it jenson - but please do so along with Jicky, and you'll smell the similarities and differences straight away.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by jdemetre View Post

    After the recovery period, about four o'clock, I got dressed and my nurse asked me about my cologne. She said it was the most subtle fragrance she had ever smelt and resembled nothing of other men's colognes. She told me she hoped she could buy some for her husband. While still groggy from the anesthesia it took me a couple of minutes to remember what I had put on. I did mention that it was not altogether easy to find. She mentioned going on the internet to search for it.

    The surgery went very well, and the appreciation of Mouchoir de Monsieur was a bonus.
    Men should NEVER forget the impact a well-scented/groomed man can make! Thanks for sharing. That compliment must have made your day.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My Dad kept handkerchiefs in his pocket all of the time, when I was growing up. I think he still does. It's something he picked up in the Marine Corps, I think. I have vivid memories of him handing me his handkerchief to blow my nose or wipe my brow, and his fragrance emanating from it. Usually British Sterling or Wild Country by Avon. Sometimes Brut.

    Ever so often, when I go out clubbing, I take a handkerchief with me since I sweat a lot when I dance and a handkerchief is handier than a cocktail napkin from the bar. Sometimes I scent it. It feels a little silly, but I'm a sucker for those British/Victorian rituals.
    I also scent my handkerchiefs Simple white ones with a monogram. The other day, I gave one away to a niece who liked the YSL Paris I sprayed on it. Heck, I even scent my gloves with L'Occitane Jasmine EDP and now with ELdO Jasmin et Cigarette EDP as as homage to you-know-who...
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th October 2009 at 06:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  36. #36
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    This past week, I shared some MdM with two people: one a Basenoter and another someone who just enjoys fragrances.

    BOTH of them fell in love with it. Which kind of surprised me, since I wasn't sure if they were going to 'get' it.

    T. Rex, Esq (the Basenoter) applied some of his sample while one of his cats was on his lap and a tiny amount of MdM got on the cat fur. He said he could smell the MdM on the cat all of the next day.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    I personally love MdM and Jicky. Because Jicky is much easier to find in this part of the world, I have worn it more. Really good review, mikep!

  38. #38

    Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain - a review

    MP23, I agree with you on its structure. MdM is a Guerlain high point as far as I am concerned. Compared to Jicky EDP and EDT, its more suave, with a near perfect balance of bergamot, lavender, the guerlinade base and the animalic notes. Its like Roger Federer playing tennis when he is flying high - effortlessly classy, and making the hard stuff look easy. MdM makes Jicky EDT/EDP look like Marat Safin at times. Smelling it one could believe Guerlain is the best perfume house in the world. At one point I was only rotating Santal Imperial and MdM and nothing could be better in the world.
    Last edited by zztopp; 17th October 2009 at 08:45 PM.
    -

Similar Threads

  1. The Great Layering Challenge #1 - Dana Tabu / Guerlain Samsara
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 25th April 2013, 10:12 AM
  2. Post A Picture of Your Scents - Edition II
    By Noalick in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 510
    Last Post: 8th August 2009, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •