Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Should you age out of certain scents?

I've recently been getting into bath and body stuff of all kinds, including perfume. I like a lot of scents, but I find that I really like sweet fragrances and I've noticed that most are marketed towards teenagers. What I'm asking is, are different perfumes inappropriate for certain age groups? Should an adult smell like strawberry shortcake while a teenager puts on White Diamonds? I know better than to show up at a job interview smelling like a candy store (or smelling too strongly of anything), but...well...I kind of like smelling like a candy store on my own time. Should I grow up?

P.S. My first post! Squee!

Default Re: Should you age out of certain scents?

If you want to smell like a candy store, go ahead! You like what you like and should wear it for yourself. Don't worry if you don't fit into a stereotype...

I sometimes feel like I should start wearing more serious "intellectual" fragrances, but I snap out of it. I know what I like and wear it. If someone else disapproves it's their problem, not mine.

Welcome, Candy! :wave:

My advice: If you like it, wear it!
    I can think of one beloved & amazing Basenoter in her eighties who wears everything from Patou to Pink Sugar.

I happen to have a sweet tooth for gourmand perfumes myself. I've found some favorites that seem a little more "grown-up" (e.g., Tea for Two and Ambre Narguilé), but I like my strawberry & vanilla scents, too.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I was actually thinking about this the other day - one of my regional managers was in my office and I instantly recognized her uber-sweet scent: Britney Spears Fantasy.

Now, while I'm not sure if that's the best perfume for a 40-something executive who's at the office, I respect her decision to wear whatever floats her boat. It wasn't offensive, or overly cloying (or any more than it usually is) - it just seemed incongruent. I'm in my twenties and wouldn't even wear it to the office, but I did wear it other places, once upon a time.

Anyways, I'm wandering away from my point... Which is, really, wear what you want. I don't think any less of my regional manager for what she wore, and even if I did, it's none of my flipping business anyways.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...I think I may be swimming against the tide on this one. While I definitely believe you should wear whatever you like, you may wish to be aware of where you wear the scents you deem to be "young", if you have a job where it counts.

Your scent is as much a part of your image as your dress and hair style and, like those, can potentially work against your being taken seriously. JMO....

Blog Entries

Sweet scents are in fashion now so most people probably won't mind. You may find, in time that you desire more development in a scent, something tangy or at least more unusual to contrast the sweetness. It's like having coffee with cake. Some people never develop a taste for it (I guess) they seem only to like Coke or Mountain Dew with cake & cookies. Personally, I like some variety & contrast.

Welcome Candy,

I think you should wear what you want. I will admit that sometimes I think certain scents are too young for me...just like I probably wouldn't wear clothing now that I did when I was a teenager. Either way, wear what you're comfortable wearing.

Thanks for the welcome basenoters! This is such a friendly board. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one out there who likes the sweet stuff. I appreciate the responses, and just to clarify I do enjoy other types of scents like soft florals and even more incense-y scents. I find I don't like "green" scents though. I never want to smell like grass clippings. And to 30roses I understand what you mean. Like I said, I would never go to a job interview smelling like vanilla frosting (OMG, That would smell so great!). To the rest of you, thanks for the support, I'm someone that used those Lip Smackers chapsticks up until my final college years, so I do wonder if I'm in some kind of childhood time warp, but it's nice to know that people shouldn't think less of me because I smell like a lollipop.

Welcome, Candy! It does seem the sweeter scents get marketed to younger women, but again, wear what YOU like. You will find people here wearing all kinds of scents: "young," "old," "masculine," "feminine." Wear what you like and forget about people telling *you* what to wear, including salespeople.

In my opinion, Britney Spears Fantasy is waaaay to sweet for me and I gag whenever hubby's daughter wears it in the house. The bottle also looks like a dog toy...

Bottom line: you are your own judge of these things. Different tastes for different folks, chacun a son gout.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th October 2009 at 01:30 AM.
    "The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

"Thick dome of jasmine
    (Under the dense canopy where the white jasmine),
    Blends with the rose,
    (That blends with the rose),"
    "The Flower Duet," Lakme by Leo Delibes, 1881

Quote Originally Posted by Candy View Post
    Like I said, I would never go to a job interview smelling like vanilla frosting (OMG, That would smell so great!).
    Sweet stuff including frosting: Possets. She has over 100 scents, most of them very foody/gourmand.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome Candy!

If you like it and are comfortable wearing it, then that is all that matters. It is not anyone else's business.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th October 2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not necessarily, since in my case it would be the exactly opposite process, since at 14, instead of wearing light, watery, teeny aquas, gourmands and unisex frags, I've already worn "old", actually not dated, yet far "too" conservative, formal, heavy, mature scents in comparison to my age, so it would be kinda hard to grow out of a style and trend I actually initiated against all odds and against the spirit of my biological age and my generation.
    Currently wearing: Elite by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Sweet stuff including frosting: Possets. She has over 100 scents, most of them very foody/gourmand.
    Thanks for the heads up tang! Someone mentioned this site on another message board I frequent, but I never took the time to look at it. I really love this person's creativity.

I doubt it would make you happier to wear something that others approve of, than to wear something that delights you. Go forth, and spread the (cotton-)Candy fever!

Banned

Some time ago I wondered how long I could get away with wearing A*Men (Thierry Mugler). Then I went to my grandfather's birthday party, and a friend of his (between 65 and 70 y.o.) wore...A*Men. I couldn't believe it, however he smelled incredible - probably because a) the sweet aspects were toned down (maybe by his "old" skin chemistry), featuring a deep, rich chocolate aroma and b) it fitted his image of being a witty, agile, "dirty old man" (many wives, kind of a gambler) - not necessarily attractive, but definitely charismatic.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 22nd October 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Wear what you like, so goes the eternal refrain...

And, I'll definitely add a big, fat, "AGE MEANS NOTHING TO SCENT" to the mix.

One thought, though....I'd say, as an overall style note, that you should keep some kind of contrast. Do you choose more sophisticated, mature clothes? (not dowdy, mind you, just age- and profession-appropriate) I think your perfume would only seem "too young" if you also dressed, styled, and behaved yourself in an immature manner. It takes more than perfume to give the "mutton dressed up as a lamb" effect. So, stay away from spandex, I guess that's what I'm saying. (Good advice for most people, really, LOL.)

My mother in law is 75, and is always dressed smartly, her hair and makeup flawless. She adores very fresh and bright florals. The contrast is delightful, to see this mature and ladylike person scented like an innocent young girl. I'm not a fan of the gourmands you love, but I actually think if you played your cards right, you might be able to make them interesting, even to me!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

the pink Joop! on a 40 year old raises questions, like it or not lol.

If you like sweet but are concerned that it's too young, you could shift to sweet but less fruity and less floral? Sweet fragrances with vanilla, coffee, nuts, tea, and tempered with some wood or incense or another note that isn't purely foody, seem less young. I'm thinking of things like New Haarlem, Bvlgari Black, Tea for Two, that sort of thing.

But that's only if you want to shift out of your current trend. If you're happy, you're happy. I might say that on the actual day of a job interview, for example, you may want to wear something else, but on the actual day of a job interview you may not want to wear enough to be detectable anyway. (Though that's another debate. )

As you get older, your nose develops and your body chemistry changes, so something that works on a 16 year old might not work on a 32 year old. In the same way, your taste in music, food, and drink changes and develops as you get older. So it is natural that some scents would be more suitable for young people, and some for older people.

But a good scent is a good scent, regardless of marketing and packaging. If you like it, wear it, even if it has an action hero on the bottle or is sponsered by a teenage pop princess. Trust your nose.

Dependent

Welcome Candy!

Age and taste are not mutually exclusive.

Hello, Candy!!! I believe it's important that you feel comfortable with what you're wearing. If you feel comfortable with sweet scents, then don't give them up because you are worried about someone's impression of them, especially with respect to your age. I have a fairly large fragrance wardrobe and I still often wear the same fragrance now (at 51 years old) that I wore when I was 18 years old ---- and I still love it (Tabac Original). I have found over the years that I tend to wear fragrances with a toned-down projection at the workplace, and I sort of tailor my choices in general dependent on the social event. For casual wear, I wear what I want to wear, regardless of whether or not anyone else thinks it is inappropriate to my age.

Wear what you feel comfortable with and enjoy. My tastes have changed a bit over the years as may yours. Let your preferences change naturally (if indeed they change at all) as you try more and acquire more new fragrances! A fragrance (or fragrance category) and age are not mutually exclusive!

You should do whatever you want
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Welcome Candy!

Age and taste are not mutually exclusive.
    +1.

No! (maybe.)

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I do think a lot of women's and some men's frags trend young to very young. But I think it all comes down to your own personality and confidence. If you love it and you feel centered wearing it, go for it.

Obviously special care needs to taken by anyone in job interview type situations.

I tend to think of Angel women as a very youthful female frag, but on some women I know that are in my "mature" age range, it would work and drive me just as crazy.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st November 2009 at 09:25 PM.

A ton of the reviews on the site will have you think that some scents belong to a certain age group. Lots of use of the words "childish", "only suits teenagers", "for kids", "little girl scent", "juvenile". The truth is, just do what makes you happy. The only people that will probably recognize it are other perfume hobbyists anyway and they are few and far between IMO.

Blog Entries

Welcome Candy!!

Honey, wear whatever you like when you like. I don't have a sweet tooth. I have sweet teeth. I have candy on my bedside table. I absolutely love sweet frags. The sweeter the better. I love other types of frags too, but gourmands are my fav. I am every bit of 40 years old and will rock pink sugar in a minute. I have an oil called sex on the beach. It's pure candy. I love it. I wear perfume for me. Whatever I crave for that day, I put on. Perfume/cologne has no gender or age specific factors that determine whether or not I buy it. If it smells good to me and on me, then it's as good as mine. Diva don't do what's appropriate. Diva does what's fabulous. Get you candied sweetness on!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to Basenotes Candy ! Be yourself and wear what makes you happy. There's nothing wrong with sweet scents !
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Banned

Personally, I think yes a person should "age" out of scents. 5 years ago I wore nothing but nautica voyage. As my nose became more "mature" I realized how generic it smelled and started sampling new things and a whole new world opened up.

Ah, but traaaan, I wouldn't call that "aging out" of a scent, you just developed a more sophisticated nose. I don't think you lost a love of Nautica Voyage because you suddenly got "too old" for it, I think your tastes changed.

Occasionally people do call certain scents "too young." More often, you hear "Eeeew, smells like old people" about older scents. Out of all the requests for scent recommendations I see on this board, I constantly hear "I want to smell young" or "I'm only X years old, so no old smells" or "I want youthful!" I can't remember one instance of a new member asking for "something to make me smell mature," unless you want to include the people buying perfume for their grandmothers.

Personally, I think the really sweet gourmands probably work BETTER on a more mature person. I imagine a very young sweet girl, cutsie dressed like she's an extra in Legally Blonde....Aquolina Pink Sugar would be TOO MUCH. However, I know we have an 80 year old woman on this board who loves her Pink Sugar, and I imagine the effect is vivacious and charming. Like I said earlier on in this thread, fragrance can be a marvellous contrast note in your overall style!
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 2nd November 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*