Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Ambrato

Compare and contrast, if you please.

Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato is my SoTD today, and I quite like it.

I haven't yet smelled Hermes Vetiver Tonka, but I imaged that it would smell kind of like Ambrato does - a soft, light cloud of sweetness over a very thin layer of vetiver. Am I right?

Thanks!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th October 2009 at 03:25 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vetiver Tonka vs. Vetiver Ambrato

That's fairly accurate, yes. The vetiver isn't particularly bitter or sour, the whole composition is extremely light and longevity is dismal, my main reason for not having purchased a ($200) bottle.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

No, Vetiver Tonka is richer and much closer to Red Vetyver. If you've smelt Red Vetyver, you will know what to expect.

OK, I have both frags and separate them from each other - Vetiver Tonka is the one I like, and Vetiver Ambrato is the one I dislike.

VT is sweet and silky scent, with vetiver that could be detected quite well. I`d say there`re more vetiver in VT. And it has some woody-nutty friendliness.
    Silk-n-nutty feeling is better for my palates than powdery sweetness of VA, which sometimes becomes soapy and sour on me.

I had found much better versions of the vetiver-vanilla-amber accord of VA (for my palates, of course), may I recommend them to you?

Habanita by Molinard was one of the first precursors still alive. Worth to explore the trend from the beginning, isn`t it?
    Sublime by Jean Patou is just the best rendition, with great flowers, excellent development and beauty, and grand wood-amber sillage.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I vote for Vetiver Ambrato.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Habanita by Molinard was one of the first precursors still alive. Worth to explore the trend from the beginning, isn`t it?
    Sublime by Jean Patou is just the best rendition, with great flowers, excellent development and beauty, and grand wood-amber sillage.
    Thanks, I'll check those out. I think I'll probably like this little subgenre of scents!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Ambrato

I agree mostly with moonfish. The vetiver note in VT is blended with the nutty/sweet tonka such that it creates a singular note. In VA, which I'm not a fan of, you have a distinct vetiver and a distinct amber, and they don't work all that well together.