Code of Conduct

Default NYC Streetcorner Fragrance Vendors?

Hey folks! Tonight I was walking down 34th Street in NYC and ran into a street vendor with a table set up selling some great fragrances. The bottles looked new, wrapped and (to all outward appearances) authentic. I picked up Prada Amber Pour Homme for $30.00. The stuff smells great but I think it's possible it might have been watered down. Anyone have any insight into this market?

Lightbulb Re: NYC Streetcorner Fragrance Vendors?

I know the place you're talking of. Those bottles are not authentic. As with all the stuff sold on the street of NYC, if it's got a brand telling you the price is too good to be true, then it probably is. Or, in a best case scenario (for you at least), it fell off a truck.

On the other hand, if it smells right, why not? My ex works in the shoe import business, and, without saying too much, let's just say that even the merchandise you buy in reputable stores can be less than authentic. (Although the quality is often the same.)

Default Re: NYC Streetcorner Fragrance Vendors?

I picked up a real bottle of Prada Amber yesterday and can now see that there are some obvious differences in the bottles. Even the color of the juice is slightly off. That said, it smells VERY close. I may do a side-by-side comparison today. I don't like buying knock-offs and supporting these low-lifes. Never again!

Yikes, I'd steer clear of the too good to be true street scammers.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I've never bought from street vendors. I saw a video somewhere on the internet of street vendors taking half filled perfumes and filling it with alcohol or oil and boxing it up to sell. That's why sometimes if you buy from street vendors you will find the fragrance you purchase to be totally different from how the original smells.
    http://stinasperfume.blogspot.com

At the local mall, in spite of being actually filled with serious, authorized, completely legit perfume stores, street vendors occasionally go through the mall and also through its parking lots and offer their goods (most likely stolen ones) to whom it may concern, but I never bought anything, nor felt the urge to buy anything from them.

Dude, just go to Broadway between 27th and 31st.

I wish I knew places like that in San Francisco. I wouldn't buy fragrances, but i'd check out their Rolox's and Oaklee's

I wouldnt risk it. Lots of fakes out there.
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Living in NYC I can tell you pretty much every vendor is selling fake juice, your best is definitely stay away

also stay away from the fragrance district as well, it is very hard to to tell from the legit to the fakes, they make it very difficult, which online sources like beautyencounter or frangrancex and so on you can get prices just as cheap nowadays and have no worries
    Last edited by denec; 2nd December 2009 at 01:04 PM.

Sounds like a bad idea , just like those coach purse vendors in Dc
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME