Code of Conduct

Default Respected Reviewers and Online Stores?

Just wondering who a few of the perfume reviewers are whose words have the power to make or break a scent, well at least damage it's reputation noticeably, sort of a Roger Ebert of the fragrance industry?

Also what are a few well known/stocked online stores for general and niche scents?

Thanks
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Default Re: Respected Reviewers and Online Stores?

To the general public, Chandler Burr probably has the biggest amount of sway, due to sheer media presence. I think advertisements and the media at large have more influence than the reviewing community.

For designer and mainstream stuff I think FragranceNet is about as cheap as you can readily find things, and Luckyscent covers niche with reasonable prices.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Thanks for your quick reply. Who would be a prominent/prodigious reviewer for the inner cloister so so speak?
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Luca Turin is probably the Roger Ebert of perfume. He's good when he likes something, but is a little precious and dismissive when he doesn't.

Update-
    I also agree with mysticknot who posted just below me. There are blogs out there that are great. Perfumeshrine.com is a favourite, Kevin from nstperfume.com has a lovely writing style, Nathan Branch nathanbranch.com is full of cash and has a great camera!
    Last edited by nwatts88; 24th November 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I like a number of good perfume blogs online who do a great job of reviewing ....

www.perfumeshrine.com
    www.perfumeposse.com
    of course our own great Sofresh who writes the excellent www.peredepierre.com and there is also 'perfume smellin.things' blog .

www.aedes.com is a great online retailer and I love www.reirien.com .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th November 2009 at 09:40 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Fragrances are so subjective and judging by sales figures, I don't believe any perfume critic's word alone is enough to sway the buying public... Marketing campaigns and advertisements will see to that.

Great values on FragranceX.com btw.

I doubt any reviewer could make or break a scent (not even me! harhar!)

I will say though that I read many people's comment that surround a blind buy due to someone's magical description...still can't make you love something though (case in point - Turin's review of Secretions Magnifique caused a lot of people to seek it out for testing...and then recoil in horror!)

Ubar given five stars by Luca Turin
    Read More
    Lyric Woman "Excellent" Chandler Burr
    Read More
    Homage placed in Luca Turin & Tina Sanchez's top ten fragrances for 2008.
    Read More

Above quotes are direct from Amouage website. I think as more brands quote The Guide and Chandler Burr reviews as part of their own marketing their cachet as reviewers will go up and more brands will try to get releases into their hands - the business cycle in action.

I like luckyscent, TPC, and beauty encounter
    Last edited by chipper; 30th November 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Blog Entries

Both Burr and Turin/Sanchez have strong but very individual preferences. Burr, for instance, expressed strong dislike for many, many popular men's fragrances in The Perfect Scent. I suggest making a list of fragrances you like and dislike. Then look up what Burr has said about them in the NY times, what Turin/Sanchez said in the The Guide, and what has been written at Perfumeshrine, and Perfumeposse and Basenotes. Identify whose likes and dislikes agree with yours.

If that's too much trouble, read Redneck Perfumisto's blog and JaimeB's blog and buy what they recommend. Don't forget to send LVMH a note telling them that's what you're doing.