Code of Conduct

Default Voleur des Rose and Barbie Fruit

I just got a bottle of Voleur des Roses in a swap and as of yet I'm not sure what to think of it. A massive shot of synthetic eraser/barbie fruit fragrance sitting on top of earthy patchouli. It's as if the dirty earthy texture of the patchouli is supposed to distract you from the totally artificiality of the fruit bomb. The fruit bomb reminds me of the one sitting on top of Jubilation XXV but it's much stronger here. Rose isn't super prominent to me, which is disappointing. It's hiding in the fake plums.

I've been reading reviews of it on the web and here, as well as discussions on the forums here, and I've barely heard any mention of synthetic candy fruit, even in the negative reviews.

I can't say I don't like it - I do, but I'm having trouble digesting the barbie doll aspect of it.

Is it just me?

Incidentally, I got samples of Black Afgano and Santal Noble (old formula) along with the swap, and those completely blew me away on first sniff.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Voleur des Rose and Barbie Fruit

it reminds me of Montale Black Oudh without Oudh. i dont get the barbie association..maybe it'll help if you think of it as rose jam and not candy

imho, it's a fab scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a plum note, and patch spun an interestingly fresh way. The rose note reminds me more of the rose in L'Ombre dans L'Eau than of the powdery rose familiar from so many florals. I think it's a wonderful frag; something I can sniff with pleasure all day and not get tired of it.

My nose is getting used to the plum-fruit accord and it isn't blaring at me like it was before. Now it reminds me more of the syrup at the heart of Black Aoud and Lyric woman, but on a much lighter patchouli base.

Would you guys say that plum note is natural or eraser-fragrance synthetic?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Is it just me?
    Possibly...

I don't get any fruit from it, but do acknowledge that the rose is largely buried in the (very nice) patch. I think the patchouli is pretty sweet here...maybe that's the sweetness you're smelling?

Edit: PigeonMurderer's review mentions plum:
    Ever seen a pyramid for Voleur de Roses? Well, here goes :

Top : Fresh Rose Notes, Plum
    Heart : Patchouli Leaves
    Base : Benzoin, Amber

(barfumeria.com)

One of my greatest favourites ever, Voleur de Roses is astonishingly beautiful, dreamy creation.
    This is very camphorous scent due the heavy load of patchouli, and I am a big fan of all kinds of medicinal smells. (actually I`m suprised if this one doesn`t have an actual camphor wood ingridient in it)
    Roses are here fresh indeed, "after thunderstorm" like fresh. Plum note is very juicy and luscious. Warm base of benzoin and amber creates a full-bodied, slightly sweet structure.
    The whole composion is quite red wine like to me, equally intoxicating too.

Forever in my precious Top 10. Thumbs up to the seventh heaven.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th November 2009 at 09:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Possibly...

I don't get any fruit from it, but do acknowledge that the rose is largely buried in the (very nice) patch. I think the patchouli is pretty sweet here...maybe that's the sweetness you're smelling?

Edit: PigeonMurderer's review mentions plum:
    It's amazing how people perceive things differently! To me the fruity plummy scented-markers smell is far and away the loudest note in the whole composition, especially on first blast. As it dries it gets thicker and goopier and melts into the patchouli.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like the plum/rose accord at first, I'll admit but it's never struck me as artificial. I've never noticed the camphorous dimension of this. Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow for a proper sniff. Hope this continues to grow on your, Caesar. I think it's a great one. A fave of our friend DustB, too.

Post Thanks / Like

VdR is like one of the five scrubbers I had in my entire fragrance experience wearing scents. I get a definite plastickiness and a smell of old-lady-smelling dried roses.

(the others being L'Air Du Rein, Hammam's Bouquet, Reminescent Patchouli Elixir and Route du Vetiver)
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!