Code of Conduct

Thread: encre noire

Default encre noire

i love encre noire. the trouble is i cannot smell it after an hour. it is my skin, my nose or the juice?

Default Re: encre noire

Probably your application. I use two sprays on my chest and it lasts six hours plus.

Your nose. or Your application

I can smell it really well 6-8 Hours after I've applied. Then again I tend to overspray everything.
    Last edited by TimothyX; 14th October 2009 at 11:20 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Maybe you're anosmic to ISO E Super. How's your experience with Terre d'Hermes (which is also loaded with ISO E Super)?

Thumbs up Re: encre noire

Don't worry and don't think about it. It happens with me some times. I think, in my case, is due to the weather, cause people around me can sniff the Mouchoir de Monsieur i am wearing today and i do not sniff anything. Or maybe your nose are used to sniff it. But i think that is normal. Spray the inside of your shirt and your hair.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Unhappy Re: encre noire

Quote Originally Posted by ttcarlo View Post
    i love encre noire. the trouble is i cannot smell it after an hour. it is my skin, my nose or the juice?
    Actually, your skin may be very much like mine. I find Encre Noir to be extremely light wearing thus my continuing search for the holy grail of vetiver scents for a non-vetiver lover.

I am very much anticipating my decants arriving from The Perfumed Court which will include a decant of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!

I find it deceptively potent. On many occasions I have complained that it has departed after a few hours, only to be told by friends that it is most definitely still producing the goods. That said, the last time I wore it,I found the latter stages a little cloying and unpleasant. My love of Encre Noir may well be waning

Encre Noire does not last on my skin.....At times, I've used up the full 1.5ml of my little atomiser during the day to keep me refreshed....I just wish it had better sillage......

Dependent

Encre Noire has decent longevity on me. 1 hour does seem a little short, so it could be the reasons addressed by the others...

Thumbs up Re: encre noire

On me it lasts forever and it has a great projection
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    On me it lasts forever and it has a great projection
    Me too. EN is very linear on me and lasts for at least ten or twelve hours.

I suspect that Iso E is responsible for people's wildly different experiences of EN. It's a huge part of this frag and a significant percentage of people are apparently anosmic to it.

How much does this scent resemble Guerlain's Vetiver?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sunpaul View Post
    To me, they are very different.

On me, Encre Noire is one of the longest-lasting scents I have... I can still smell it the next day.

On me it lasts more than 10 hours with 4 sprays. Sillage is monstrous.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

It lasts quite a while on me too, and it lasts for-e-ver on paper. Projection is good too, I find. It's possible that you become accustomed to the scent more quickly for some reason, so you're unable to notice it while others still can? I don't know...
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

I find it deceptively potent. On many occasions I have complained that it has departed after a few hours, only to be told by friends that it is most definitely still producing the goods. That said, the last time I wore it,I found the latter stages a little cloying and unpleasant. My love of Encre Noir may well be waning

Same with me! Sometimes I wear it and I hardly smell anything, but other people sure can

Quote Originally Posted by sunpaul View Post
    I agree with Matthewfoo. They're totally different. Guerlain Vetiver has a lot of other things going on it (some tobacco, a citrus opening). EN is basically lots and lots of vetiver.

I like and own them both, fwiw.

I had no problems with londevity as I could smell the black ink on me the next day. I have a feeling the heat destroys this one. Don't put it on right after a shower when your skin is hot and dry.

As others have said, I think it is possible you are anosmic to Iso E Super that is a big part of this fragrance.

Do most of you view EN as a year around scent? It seems to me that it would be a vetiver that would wear particulary well in cool weather...any thoughts? DISREGARD I DID MY HOMEWORK
    Last edited by ChuckW; 15th October 2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: found my answer

Well, I just fell in love with this one this summer! Wonderful smokey vetiver! And such a perfect bottle (one of the best matches: perfume/bottle!) I also have some problems with longevity (I'm talking about the edt, didn't buy the edp in the "cheap" bottle,nooo!)..the sillage is pretty good, but it doesn't last eternitys on me, wonder if the edp would solve that problem.
    As for the "all year frag" question..yes, definitely! It's wonderful in summer (maybe not as much as for example soapier Guerlain Vetiver), although its smokey-sweet facet seems more adecuate for colder times..
    (btw, don't know why they had to go and make a "pour elle" with this..heard it doesn't have annnnnything to do with this!)

Quote Originally Posted by allabouteve View Post
    (btw, don't know why they had to go and make a "pour elle" with this..heard it doesn't have annnnnything to do with this!)
    I think the pour elle version uses Haitian vetiver also which is one of the big notes in the male version so they do have some similar ingredients in the base notes

It's your nose unless you're only spraying it on your wrists then you need to use more corporal real estate.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

lol what a difference in longevity..

with some its couple hours, with others its 10 hours plus with great silliage

im planning to get this one too

It lasts as long as Guerlain Vetiver to me, but don't do the whole spray-the-air-and-walk-through-the-cloud-of-scent idea.
    Spray 3 or 4 on your chest and put your shirt on. If you can't smell it later on that night, you may need to start applying Dry-Sol on your chest. That stuff is potent, and I sweat through alot of mean fragrances

strange... poor sillage here too. I have dry skin, and the weather is humid these days. Mystery.

Personally have never had any longevity or sillage problems with Encre Noire.

I love Encre Noire, with 3 spray I get more than 10 h!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Deleted as duplicate.
    Last edited by Topper; 6th November 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Duplicate.

Iíve learned that for me, it's mainly my nose. Some scents seem to disappear for me while others can still smell them. With any new scent I seem to go through a cycle where for the first week or two Iím very aware of it, then it is far less noticeable, and then, surprisingly, after a number of months it settles into a more or less permanent perception.

Just picked up Encre Noir and also love it. It wears close on me, but itís definitely there. I believe thereís musk in the base notes, and thatís still there the next day. I get a bitter note for a while after the top notes, but that note rounds out later in the progression. I donít particularly care for that note, but could that be what youíre missing.

I feel kind of vain asking this, but there seems to be different bottles out there - some look like a fairly normal bottle with a woodlike cap, while others look more or less just like an old ink bottle.

Is this just different marketing photos or are there actually differences here?

The vanity part here is of course that I would like to get my hands on the cool, ink bottle looking packaging....

Can anyone recommend a store that might have encre noire? I would like to smell this cologne and im not into blind buys
    Please let me know.