Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Lyric Man vs Woman

I've been reading all sorts of reviews and threads on these fragrances, and noticed that a few basenoters (and one or two reviewers) have remarked that the woman version is both superior to the men's version, and also easily wearable by a man.

In general, I not only dislike female marketed fragrances on me, but I also tend to dislike them outright, even on women. A few months ago I asked which, if any female marketed MPG's were good for a man, and in the end all of the ones I tried were waaay too feminine for me, so I'd like to know how Lyric woman compares to other roses I enjoy in terms of masculine wearability - in particular Black Aoud and Jardin du Nil, two of my favourite oriental roses which I wear all the time to great acclaim (except for "bug spray" comments I get on the Black Aoud if I applied it less than 3 hours before...)

For those who like the Lyric set - is there general agreement that the woman's version is unisex? Is there general agreement that it's better than the men's? Is the vanilla in the female version a feminine vanilla? is it gourmand? I know there are some passionate fans of the men's version here. I'm attracted to the woman version because I've heard the men's version described as soapy, bright, and having a strong aquatic note, none of which appeal to me in an oriental rose, while the woman's is described as smelling like liqueur or wine, which do attract me. . I like the men's bottle better though...

Speaking of which, do either of these resemble Lutens' Rose de Nuit? I loathe that one.

When it comes to Amouage in general, I've tried XXV, 25, Gold Men (edt) and Dia, and I adore XXV, really like 25, and would not wear Dia or Gold as they do not suit me at all.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 14th October 2009 at 09:01 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage Lyric Man vs Woman

Interesting coincidence: I have a sample of the Men's and Women's Lyric at home, waiting for me to sample them. I smelled a tiny amount (on the top of my palm) over the weekend and here is my two cents (which I will supplement with extensively after I have a chance to give them both a full wearing):

The men's is a nice, wet rose - reminds me of a Montale rose stripped of it's aoud and very basic. This would be exciting if masculine fragrances had not already moved forward and been embracing rose scents for years. As it is, it's kind of a ho-hum rose scent. Yes, very nice, nothing special to see here, thanks.

The woman's is CLEARLY a chypre, from the very first spray. It's deep, honeyed (in a Lutens kind of way, but NOT like Rose de Nuit) and extremely plush and luxurious. From a tiny dot from the plastic wand in the cap, my hand was throwing sillage for a couple of hours. Incredibly strong. It is not unisex, IMO, it smells like a feminine floral chpyre. If you can comfortably wear floral chypres (like I can) you will enjoy it. If not, look elsewhere.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th October 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Hmm interesting - so what fragrances would you compare it to in terms of femininity or also in terms of feminine floral chypres? By the way, how does it compare in masculinity (if that means anything!) to MPG Jardin du Nil, I think I remember you being a fan of that one.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 14th October 2009 at 09:05 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hmm interesting - so what fragrances would you compare it to in terms of femininity or also in terms of feminine floral chypres? By the way, how does it compare in masculinity (if that means anything!) to MPG Jardin du Nil, I think I remember you being a fan of that one.
    I'll have to wear it again to answer your question(s).

Off the top of my head, if you are comfortable wearing Jardin du Nil then you are a good candidate for enjoying Lyric Woman. Sample it!

I've a bottle of Lyric Woman but I'm not familiar with the man's version or with other frags that you mentioned so I'm not sure how helpful this will be. While I don't find Lyric Woman to be overtly feminine (and certainly not girly), I'm not sure it's quite unisex either.

To me it's a dark floral with sweet, over-ripe fruit but also with a something quite...well...meaty about it. There's a touch of something in there animalic too. So while it's floral and sweet it's not sugary or remotely dessert-like. I can see the wine connection, it's not as alcoholic and wine-y as, say, FM Une Rose but it makes me think of the really heavy red wines - simultaneously savoury but with plenty of dark fruit and hints of vanilla.

On me it doesn't really smell like a chypre. I also found that it really needs to be sprayed. I first tried it from a dabbing sample vial and thought it was nice enough but then I received a bottle as a gift and it was only after spraying it that I could appreciate it fully.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: I made a mistake in my post above, Lyric Woman is NOT a chypre. I was confused (maybe I was thinking about Jubilation 25?) nevertheless, LW is much more of an oriental.

I will wear it again and comment more. Tonight's wearing (which BTW, kind of stunned me...as it dried on my skin and I realized I had posted on this thread, I felt really ridiculous for incorrectly categorizing the scent!) was just a tiny bit, I really need to give this scent some proper skin time. It's quite unique and extremely complex fragrance (I can see the 'liquer' comments now).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th October 2009 at 02:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought both when the Amouage line launched here a few months ago and have worn them quite a lot.

The Man version strikes me as a deep, quiet evening scent. Quite a comfortable masculine dark rose that does not have as much attitude as Black Aoud or CS 88, but is no less complex or sophisticated. I wouldn't be surprised if more men who want to wear a rose scent discover this one and enjoy it.

The Woman version has more going on and I think Anthracite nails it with the wine reference. I tried this a few times before buying it and came to the conclusion that as long I gave it a chance to settle for half an hour before launching out into the world I could wear it un-selfconsciously. The opening has a similar gourmand style opening to J XXV (IMO) but it is an opening . . . it then settles into something that's quite unusual and hard to define.

I don't own the Jaardin du Nil so can't compare. There's no doubt this is designed as a feminine - I gave a sample to the lady who heads Guerlain fragrance here and she flipped over it - but it works for me and makes me feel good and I'm a pretty boring regular guy. It doesn't strike me as anywhere near as sweet or perfumey as some of the designer male scents out there.

I would recommend anyone interested in (a) rose and (b) quality compositions, try both - they complement each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Lyric Men was a weird one for me.... did you ever have a scent that you positively loved upon sampling on your arm but hated as a full wear? That was me with Lyric Men. It's a dark, luxurious rose with a lurking incensey-oud type background. For whatever reason I found it overbearing and unbalanced when I gave it a full wear. I've only sampled the Lyric Womens version but positively loved it - as mikeperez23 says it's a lush floral chypre that's positively gorgeous. I personally didn't find it particularly feminine but if you're one of those 'anti-feminine' types then it's likely not going to be masculine enough for you to enjoy.

thats funny about the bug spray comment....i have a neighbor around 30 a teacher and the other night i went over to talk to her....( my dogs friends with her dog lol) and i just got out of the shower and had black aoud on. she says do you smell bug spray? i was thinking in my head...no but i smell the $200 bottle of black aoud i have on. I couldnt believe someone actually commented on it as bug spray lol.

have you tried lyric for men yet? I havent tried the womens one yet, but the mens is kinda really good. Its not feminine at all yet its incredibly sensual.

jubilation 25 is almost as incredible as jubilation XXV but I dont think its wearable by a man. Lyric for men is almost crossing over the line in the mens version....so although i havent sampled Lyric for women...I would have to guess it would be unwearable for men. I couldnt see this wearable at all if it got any sweeter. just my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Reactiosn to Black Aoud on me have ranged from a cashier at the other end of the room lighting up when I walked in the door and asking me where on earth she can get this fragrance, to bug spray comments. I love, love, love the stuff, but am aware that it's off putting to many, especially for the first hour or two.

Haven't tried Lyric man or woman yet, but used some stored up paypal cash and got some Woman from a basenoter at a good price, so I'll see how that one goes over. Still don't know what to expect even after everyone's help!

Either way it sounds like a beautiful work of art (anthracite's description was very compelling) and I love Amouage when they do something right, but as for wearability by me, Mr. Reasonable's "average guy" experience gives me hope. I'm not much of an average guy type, (even though I'm usually no good with feminine fragrances) so if a regular man can wear it comfortably I should be OK, hopefully.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll let you know what happens. If it doesn't work I'll either sell it or maybe swap for some man version.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    thats funny about the bug spray comment....i have a neighbor around 30 a teacher and the other night i went over to talk to her....( my dogs friends with her dog lol) and i just got out of the shower and had black aoud on. she says do you smell bug spray? i was thinking in my head...no but i smell the $200 bottle of black aoud i have on. I couldnt believe someone actually commented on it as bug spray lol.

have you tried lyric for men yet? I havent tried the womens one yet, but the mens is kinda really good. Its not feminine at all yet its incredibly sensual.

jubilation 25 is almost as incredible as jubilation XXV but I dont think its wearable by a man. Lyric for men is almost crossing over the line in the mens version....so although i havent sampled Lyric for women...I would have to guess it would be unwearable for men. I couldnt see this wearable at all if it got any sweeter. just my opinion.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I hope you like it, let us know how you get on!

I probably didn't do it justice. I'm not particularly experienced and I find it so well blended that it's hard to pick out the individual notes so I can only talk about the general impressions and associations that I get rather than giving a thorough, step by step pyramid break-down.

If the more experienced folks can pick out chamomile or whatever then that's impressive but to me Lyric doesn't smell like roses and frankincense, it smells like Lyric

For what it's worth I think Man is every bit as good a scent as Woman. It is not as ostentatious, and that tends to be the main point of contention with those who prefer Woman - they like their scents loud and showy. Man is subdued, elegant, graceful, ethereal. It is - even moreso than Woman - the finest rose scent I've ever smelled, as it is rose prominent throughout. Green and dewy roses on a heavenly cloud of white incense smoke. Sublime.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hey, speaking of which - when people say a "green" rose, are they referring to the long-stem, valentine's variety as opposed to the sweet and prickly scent of bush roses?

And yes, I do tend prefer a bit louder and showier scents, which is one reason why I was attracted to the women's version, though in part it was also an aversion to soapy roses, which I head in several descriptions of the men's.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For what it's worth I think Man is every bit as good a scent as Woman. It is not as ostentatious, and that tends to be the main point of contention with those who prefer Woman - they like their scents loud and showy. Man is subdued, elegant, graceful, ethereal. It is - even moreso than Woman - the finest rose scent I've ever smelled, as it is rose prominent throughout. Green and dewy roses on a heavenly cloud of white incense smoke. Sublime.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 17th October 2009 at 12:07 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

So I finally got my Lyric Woman and it's really a fascinating fragrance. On the one hand, I'd say it isn't too feminine, but meanwhile it reminds me of the smell of lipstick and ladies' purses. In any case it's certainly less feminine than Amouage Gold Men (at least the EDT version, I've never tried the EDP).

It's very hard for me to describe. It's very heavy on frankincense and the rose is not the main note as it's buried in with everything else. It's really multifaceted - dark and sharp in terms of the incense, but then it also smells like a creamy cloud with baby powder laced with copper and vanilla. It's the sort of fragrance you like to just sit there and pontificate, trying to make sense of all the notes and textures.

As I've been wearing it a few days now, I find it less outlandish than at first. When you try something new it's usually the notes that you're least accustomed to that hit you the hardest, and I was initially focusing on the baby powder creampuff aspects of it, but now those are in the background and it's more about heavy frankincense decorated with flowers laced in tangy copper, like oxidized pennies.

I don't think anything I've said makes any sense or give one any kind of idea of what this stuff smells like, but it's certainly worth trying, and for me worth owning, and it's got me alot of compliments already in just three days of wear..
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 8th November 2009 at 12:23 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got and are enjoying Lyric Woman. It is certainly the better of the two IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

damn it! now i have to get a sample of the womens before i buy the mens.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916