Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I want an absolute gothic fragrance !

A fragrance that would instantly give someone an impression that they've just entered a haunted house I want to get it for this Halloween. Any suggestion, folks? TIA
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 12th October 2009 at 04:45 AM.

Default Re: I want an absolute gothic fragrance !

Ungaro III?

Black Aoud or Aoud Flowers. Or if you're going for a slasher / serial killer vibe, maybe secretions magnifiques.

C & s 88

Avignon by CdG
    Messe di Minuit by Etro
    No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I'd call Oscar Pour Lui "cheapo Goth." LOL>

Hey Bigsley, there are some really strong statements against the modern formulation of Pour Lui in the directory. What do you think - is the modern version wearable?

Mark Buxton - Black Angel is a pretty dark smelling scent

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some BNers might think the original is much stronger, but I don't think I'd want it to be any stronger. For the price, the new one is a very good deal, if you want a dry floral incense frag. Just spray more if you want it stronger. I also wouldn't be surprised if the original was richer, but that doesn't mean the new one is a lousy frag.

Cool, thanks for the tip bro.

Basenotes Plus

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen is the ultimate gothic fragrance.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I second Ungaro III and C&S No. 88.

A couple years ago I combined Bvlgari Black with Comme des Garcons 2 MAN and thought that the combination created the ultimate Halloween fragrance. The black tire of Black mixed with the woody, burnt incense of 2 MAN seemed harsh, dark, intense, dirty, and yet alluring, rich and interesting. You might want to give it a try if you have them I think either one could be a contender on its own as well although, not "ultimate" material.
    Last edited by nthny; 12th October 2009 at 06:55 AM.

SL Rose de Nuit - Not heavy and loud, but at the core it's the darkest rose chypre on the planet.

-
    Last edited by pluran; 12th October 2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Holosync

Has to be Etro Messe de Minuit.
    Smells like a crypt.
    DONNA

I loved the review of Black March and Burning Leaves in this link:

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...h-burning.html

The images that the author gets from combining these two are certainly creepy.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 12th October 2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Edited to correct the link. And because it's combining, not combing. Sheesh.

Avignon

Many of the scents from The Goth Rosary are loaded with incense and clove, perfect for that "creepy Halloween" feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Many of the scents from The Goth Rosary are loaded with incense and clove, perfect for that "creepy Halloween" feel.
    I think Donna Karan Black Cashmere fits the bill perfectly.

Definitely Avignon. I love it but most people around me are a little repulsed and tell me it reminds them of churches and death. It is PERFECT for Halloween. mwahahahaa
    Last edited by darkdreams; 12th October 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Ungaro III, Black Aoud and C&S No. 88 are all great suggestions, but I would suggest Salvador Dali pour Homme as the ultimate gothic scent. I blind bought a bottle recently and absolutely love it.. definitely in my top 5 at the moment and probably will be all winter. Don't be put off by the reviews with their references to Satan, evil and goat sacrifices, this is a fantastic scent and surprisingly versatile. Relatively inexpensive, as well.

Voleur de Roses or Encre Noire

I definitely agree with Ungaro III - what about L'Anarchiste?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

"Cathedral" by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs. From their Web site:

"Cathedral, from Sin & Salvation:
    Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    SL Rose de Nuit - Not heavy and loud, but at the core it's the darkest rose chypre on the planet.

-
    RdN is indeed lovely, but only a shadow of L'Arte di Gucci- which is even darker. I actually prefer the Rose de Nuit as it is softer.

Agree with recs for Etro Messe de Minuit- all dark damp church.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

CdG Avignon once again. It reminds me of a dark, stony, deserted cathedral, possibly with a haunted graveyard outside. For a gothic rose, look to L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses. It is a damp, untamed rose garden overrun by ravens.

I still don't get my so many BNers are conviced that Ungaro III and no. 88 are gothic. Since when are sweet fruits and green notes (Ungaro) and clean, powdery, soapy rose (no. 88) "gothic" accords?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th October 2009 at 02:39 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

now that i think of it, i think encre noir may be an interesting if not so obvious choice
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I second the Salvadore Dali pour Homme suggestion.

I only hope it does not end up scaring the OP himself
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

Either Avignon or Messe de Minuit will work perfectly.

Gothic II by Loree Rodkin

No.88 (Czech & Speake) - jack the ripper (with the victorian feel and all).
    Black Aoud (Montale) - a vampire scent.

Black Cashmere (DKNY), Black Orchid and Noir de Noir (both by Tom Ford) smells also very gothic to me.

L'Anarchist (Caron) is somehow a bloody scent, but too exotic to be considered gothic.
    Encre Noire (Lalique) has also a dark feel, but its not necessarily gothic.

Michael Storer's Monk.

Last edited by ajmc; 12th October 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I still don't get my so many BNers are conviced that Ungaro III and no. 88 are gothic. Since when are sweet fruits and green notes (Ungaro) and clean, powdery, soapy rose (no. 88) "gothic" accords?
    #88 smells more like an Indian grocery store than a haunted house to me.

Where is Manicboy when you need him ?

Anyways, heres some:

Zino Davidoff : Earthy, a sure hit Rose note, dark and evolving.

Azzaro Acteur : I have not tried this, but I have read that it has a decaying rose in it, now tell me that is not gothic! Spray some Gucci pour Homme with it as well.

Ungaro III : only and I say only in the original formulation.

Czech & Speake No 88 : um, hell yes. although it is mostly the opening notes as well and when the rose comes in that makes this fragrance gothic.

Its hard for me to not correlate gothic and a rose, although the rose cannot be bright and cheery.

Oh, come on guys, no Knize Ten? :wave:

Sur la Plage

Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

For Haloween I like to layer Passage D'Enfer on top of Avignon

Balafre by Lancome

Sagamore by Lancome
    thread reviver

Someone here on Basenotes has agreed to trade his Czech & Speake No 88 for my Tom Ford Italian Cypress, before I posted this thread. What a coincident! But I will probably get another one from the many good suggestions here for the coming Halloween party.

Avignon by CdG

Bpal-burial
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Montale Black Oud or Voleur de Roses- maybe layered with something...not sure what else.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th October 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    Bpal-burial
    Man, what kind of picture did you have displayed? Basenotes indicates that it's too sexy to display

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Has to be Etro Messe de Minuit.
    Smells like a crypt.
    Absolutely...the definition of GOTHIC!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    Oh, come on guys, no Knize Ten? :wave:
    You DID say Goth dint you ?

So I've bit my tongue long enough - I keep seeing people referencing Etro's "Messe de Minuit" and I don't get it. Granted, everyone smells things differently, but this stuff is straight up public urinal cleaning supplies. It's that gross, astringent fruitiness and nothing else. I read some other basenotes reviews on it and I see at least one other person cites this same thing.

I dunno, unless you want to be a gothic janitor, I'd definitely look elsewhere :P

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    So I've bit my tongue long enough - I keep seeing people referencing Etro's "Messe de Minuit" and I don't get it. Granted, everyone smells things differently, but this stuff is straight up public urinal cleaning supplies. It's that gross, astringent fruitiness and nothing else. I read some other basenotes reviews on it and I see at least one other person cites this same thing.

I dunno, unless you want to be a gothic janitor, I'd definitely look elsewhere :P
    Dracula with a plunger. Cool!!!

Totally agree with you. I just mentioned it because some people see it that way. I myself think it smells like an opened can of flat 7-UP/Sprite. I actually wore it today from a sample to reconfirm.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Totally agree with you. I just mentioned it because some people see it that way. I myself think it smells like an opened can of flat 7-UP/Sprite. I actually wore it today from a sample to reconfirm.
    I get some rotting leaves as well. This offering from Etro is certainly unpleasant and not really goth ( to me). I was really surprised so many guys like it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Where is Manicboy when you need him ?

Anyways, heres some:

Zino Davidoff : Earthy, a sure hit Rose note, dark and evolving.

Azzaro Acteur : I have not tried this, but I have read that it has a decaying rose in it, now tell me that is not gothic! Spray some Gucci pour Homme with it as well.

Ungaro III : only and I say only in the original formulation.

Czech & Speake No 88 : um, hell yes. although it is mostly the opening notes as well and when the rose comes in that makes this fragrance gothic.

Its hard for me to not correlate gothic and a rose, although the rose cannot be bright and cheery.
    Right here!

Zino, definitely - dark decaying roses. I would also add Dali PH (decaying geranium/musk, Van Cleef & Arpels PH (dark pine), & Jacomo de Jacomo (dark cloves).
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

It seems like the majority of recommendations here have something to do with rose. Is that because it reminds us the scent of flowers at a funeral? Very interesting!

Volcano by Lomani

I'm not sure... "goth" combines all sorts of images. Goth like Vampira? Goth like Notre Dame? Goth like Bauhaus? Goth like Theodoric the Great?

Anyhow, dealing with the modern goth subculture, I'm going to nominate Poison, in both name and smell ( vintage Poison, more so - more animal, less flower ).

Another vote for Avignon and Messe de Minuit, and I'll add Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi for the modern goth

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Bandit by Robert Piguet has labdanum-incense and roses, it`s dark and great for Halloween also. While I could wear it anyday.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Leonard pour Homme (original)
    Last edited by sniffman; 13th October 2009 at 02:45 PM.
    thread reviver

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Avignon by CdG
    Messe di Minuit by Etro
    No. 88 by Czech & Speake
    these are my favourites. dont think they smell that devilish

another vote for avignon.

Yet another CdG Avignon.
    I think Le Labo Patchouli 24 exudes a bit of goth to me.
    Gucci Pour Homme gives off a bit of church pew woodiness.
    Perhaps Tom Ford Black Orchid?
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)