Code of Conduct

Thread: Banana Republic

Default Banana Republic

I've heard the name quite a bit but never looked into them. Judging by the sounds of Black Walnut and Cordovan I would love them both. Black Walnut is compared to John Varvatos which I adore immensely and Cordovan being spicy and woody I am tempted to buy them blind. Are they safe? Oh and if anyone could elaborate on Cordovan a little more or compare with other frags that'd be awesome. Thanks! :wave:

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Banana Republic

Do you not have a Banana Republic store in your area where you can test them at?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Do you not have a Banana Republic store in your area where you can test them at?
    I didn't even think to look! I just did and there's one only an hour away!!!

For me that's hardly anything.. seeing as I live in complete seclusion and am surrounded by fields and woods. Well now I'm giddy as anything! I hope I won't be disappointed

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post

For me that's hardly anything.. seeing as I live in complete seclusion and am surrounded by fields and woods. Well now I'm giddy as anything! I hope I won't be disappointed
    Personally, I always liked the original Banana Republic Classic fragrance, and I think Black Walnut is a pretty decent scent. But I was not thrilled with the other ones. But hopefully you will find one or more to your liking.

Good luck!

FYI - Some of the Banana Republic fragrance gift sets have been showing up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I enjoy Classic and Cordovan. Black Walnut is too fruity/sweet on me, and Slate seems to serve the same purpose as classic, but isn't as good.

The new Republic of Men is pretty good too. It's a bit too sweet during the opening with the strong spiced plum note, but the drydown is a smoothly sweetened sandalwood accord.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th October 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Black Walnut is quite good for a 'Mall store fragrance'. It seems to raise itself to the level of a good designer fragrance. It does seem to have some resemblance to John Varvatos.

Cordovan I can't speak for.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I can vouch on BR's quality of their scents. Every one of them I have smelled definately has an above-average designer quality to it, especially the two you mentioned. Cordovan is such a nice comfort scent really appropriate for anyone. Slate, the other I recommend, would be perfect for someone in their youth. The minis they sell, i think about 5$ for each, is a great bargain so try on each one at least once.

I have all 3 and like black walnut the best. My only complaint is I wish they'd last longer on my skin
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

I have tried them all repeatedly. In general, they are nice in the top notes but quickly dry down to pretty generic stuff. I really like the Black Walnut for the first 20 minutes, but then, for me, it turns into a very pedestrian woody mess. I had to wash it off. How disappointing. The rest were similar in that experience. It seems that they are meant for folks who buy them impulsively while shopping and little attention is given to the base notes.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

hey guys, how is longevity on this stuff? also what age group do they fit into? i just purchased a 7.5mL bottle of every mens fragrance on the site, besides Classis bc its unisex, to try out

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post

Oh! Where in PA do you live? There's a Banana Republic in Park City, Lancaster. They always have testers and samples laying about there. And the employees are super nice. (I find good things on the clearance racks).

Also there's an outlet near Limerick. Sometimes they have Black Walnut and Cordovan. I saw Modern there once!

Personally I like both Black Walnut and Cordovan and even Slate. I like Cordovan the most.

I have Classic, Black Walnut and Slate, and Cordovan is on the way to my collection.

The two really worth owning IMO are Black Walnut and Cordovan.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Black walnut is An underrated scen. It's georgeous and the woody notes are of a very good quality. Could easily be niche. Last 8 hours on me and My girlfriend.

Classic is awesome!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post

Personally I like both Black Walnut and Cordovan and even Slate. I like Cordovan the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I have Classic, Black Walnut and Slate, and Cordovan is on the way to my collection.

The two really worth owning IMO are Black Walnut and Cordovan.
    I'll throw in another vote for Slate. I've sampled some others, but Slate is the only one I own. I would want to give Cordovan another try after reading what you guys said.

I went through a period of time where I was slightly obsessed with Black Walnut. In the end, I'm not sure what it is, but there is a note in there that doesn't quite sit right on my skin, and it was a real dealbreaker for me. That being said, I'm quite confident in saying that Black Walnut is definitely one of the best scents you can find at your mall.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense